Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Optimal builds exist within the boundaries of the attribute metagame and also what style of leveling fits your gameplan. A leveling scheme that inevitably requires me to hack away at Shadowmere for an hour to max out my weapon skills, to me, is not optimal in the slightest but YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

at this point just mod the game not to suck. just do it. don't game the stats and difficulty settings, just change the game so it makes a lick of goddamn sense

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I used an earlier version of this modding guide
https://www.sinitargaming.com/oblivion_gameplay.html
for Oblivion, but it was early COVID and while a lot of work I had no issue spending a full day modding a game because I knew I also wouldn't have anything else to do the next day or for the next several weeks.

But it was a lot of fun after I set it up and I could set the skills I wanted to use as main skills as my main skills in character creation

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Optimal builds exist within the boundaries of the attribute metagame and also what style of leveling fits your gameplan. A leveling scheme that inevitably requires me to hack away at Shadowmere for an hour to max out my weapon skills, to me, is not optimal in the slightest but YMMV.
It's certainly not optimal fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im going to build a giant grain-hoarding robot and call it aKulakKhan

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wabbajack has a listing for Oblivion called Through the Valleys and it makes Oblivion "work". I haven't played vanilla oblivion since it was new, and so TtV seems indistinguishable from my memories, but it's a better looking(still looks like vanilla oblivion in my memories, so true to form), deleveled, mechanically coherent overhaul

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
nexus's wabbajack ripoff has a few packs too

https://next.nexusmods.com/oblivion/collections

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Are we ever going to see non-openmw get the ability to use more memory than 4gb? Is that even possible? Lately I've had to save and restart every like, 10 minutes in Old Ebonheart to clear the memory before it crashes and for some reason today (I haven't changed anything today? so no clue lol) I can't even go outside at all without it instantly memory-outing itself. Unchecking a bunch of MWSE mods I guess but that memory limit is really brutal.

e: nah turns out Lua is using up none of the memory compared to textures and stuff, gotta fuss with my replacers rip!

e e e : Seriously I don't understand this game sometimes. I was able to at least go outside in Old Ebonheart yesterday, I've changed nothing today, and now it's just, wet farts all around.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 29, 2022

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FlocksOfMice posted:

Are we ever going to see non-openmw get the ability to use more memory than 4gb? Is that even possible? Lately I've had to save and restart every like, 10 minutes in Old Ebonheart to clear the memory before it crashes and for some reason today (I haven't changed anything today? so no clue lol) I can't even go outside at all without it instantly memory-outing itself. Unchecking a bunch of MWSE mods I guess but that memory limit is really brutal.

e: nah turns out Lua is using up none of the memory compared to textures and stuff, gotta fuss with my replacers rip!

e e e : Seriously I don't understand this game sometimes. I was able to at least go outside in Old Ebonheart yesterday, I've changed nothing today, and now it's just, wet farts all around.

4gb is what is addressable by a 32 bit executable program.

Short of rewriting the engine(i.e. openmw) you cannot realistically achieve that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

one of your mods, mwse or otherwise, is leaking memory. this is not vanilla engine behavior

mgexe draw distance is hotkey configurable, I recommend that

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

mbt posted:

one of your mods, mwse or otherwise, is leaking memory. this is not vanilla engine behavior

mgexe draw distance is hotkey configurable, I recommend that

Oh boy I'm consistently bad at maintaining my install. I disabled AI upscaled TR textures and the memory load went down a good 15% on the memory monitor mod, so at least the texture load was somewhat responsible. No way to check what mod's eating everything without going through them all one by one I imagine? For a game I've been playing for 20 years I'm pretty clueless on how to maintain it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

When is the next TR update coming out? A month? Six months? Should I not get too attached to my current playthrough?

november

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

mbt posted:

november

Well shoot, time to take my install leaking memory like crazy as an excuse to burn it all down and start from the ground up to get ready then, thank you!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I found an old angel fire page filled with contemporaneous reviews and thoughts about now classic PC games. If that kind of thing interest you, here's some tips and tricks from someone who js already partway through their second play-through

https://www.angelfire.com/hero/tjekanefir/morrow.htm

Honestly, I love reading older discussions of games from tlan earlier internet, where a lot of the "discourse" was the uncodified musings of some rando's blog posts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to get a new install of Morrowind up and running and having some trouble.

I've managed to get past the issues related to previously having a French Language install, I think I was just stupidly using the old MO2 profile. But now, I'm having trouble getting just Ashfall (and skill modules and crafting framework) to run. I also don't see any MOD options when I press escape - isn't that supposed to be there?

I'm using MO2 but I worry forgot some fundamental thing, like the equivalent of always running Skyrim Script Extended instead of the normal executable?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm trying to get a new install of Morrowind up and running and having some trouble.

I've managed to get past the issues related to previously having a French Language install, I think I was just stupidly using the old MO2 profile. But now, I'm having trouble getting just Ashfall (and skill modules and crafting framework) to run. I also don't see any MOD options when I press escape - isn't that supposed to be there?

I'm using MO2 but I worry forgot some fundamental thing, like the equivalent of always running Skyrim Script Extended instead of the normal executable?

Starting with the basics you might have missed:
1) Did you run the Morrowind Code Patch and patch your exe?
2) Are you using MGEXE?
3) Are you using MWSE?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've run the MCP, yes. In fact I even ran it again just to be me sure.

Steps 2 and 3 are where I'm worried I might be doing something wrong:
I have both MGEXE and MWSE installed, and I've run the MWSE. I also have a MGE.gui I can run to bring up a small window to choose options. Do I just make my choices there, close that, and run the normal executable?

When I use MO2 to run Morrowind, I see MGE 3.3.2 in the top left, and MCP2.4 in the bottom right.

Edit: I just verified those version numbers match the installations in my game folder. Morrowind is installed to C: btw.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 10, 2022

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Did you run MWSE-update.exe to make sure the MWSE is the most recent version?

I’m only harping this because if the issue is with Ashfall and skill mods and not others my suspicion would be something is wrong with your MWSE.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had, but it seem I also just used whatever old version I had in my downloads folder. Whether that version was somehow bad, or whatever, downloading and reinstalling a new version seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

FlocksOfMice posted:

Well shoot, time to take my install leaking memory like crazy as an excuse to burn it all down and start from the ground up to get ready then, thank you!

Are they majorly altering any existing content (or more importantly, stuff like quest flags) that would actually make it incompatible for any reason, or are you just using it as an excuse to do a fresh run on the new content?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Cerebulon posted:

Are they majorly altering any existing content (or more importantly, stuff like quest flags) that would actually make it incompatible for any reason, or are you just using it as an excuse to do a fresh run on the new content?

Oh my install is just majorly hosed. I'm not sure why but I suddenly went from having to restart the game if I traveled through too many major cities in a single session to... being unable to go outside in Old Ebonheart or Vivec without instantly crashing to memory loss. I felt real bad about it but if TR is going to be releasing entire new zones I might as well clean house and start with a new character to experience everything all together rather than jury rig a somewhat functional install, get mostly through a character, and then have a ton of new content come midgame.

I think the Firewatch revamp might be in this idk? So especially if that happens I don't want to have to deal with city changes mid steam too.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

Are they majorly altering any existing content (or more importantly, stuff like quest flags)

yes

FlocksOfMice posted:

I think the Firewatch revamp might be in this idk? So especially if that happens I don't want to have to deal with city changes mid steam too.

this

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/478287684515921940/948580822666072164/Morrowind_weapons.pdf

some russian guy assembled a pdf referencing every historical object / artwork is used by bethesda for the weapons in morrowind

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Doesn't seem to be all of them, hut very cool.

I can say offhand that the steel hand axe is clearly from some old 2e D&D art work of a dwarf (flint from dragonlance?) And the steel mace is some super famous Renaissance era Italian mace that seems to pulled up every single time a mace is needed. Personally I'd really like to see a wooden club with a brass ring, you never see those in games and it'd make a great "iron" mace.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 19, 2022

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jack B Nimble posted:

Doesn't seem to be all of them, hut very cool.

I can say offhand that the steel hand axe is clearly from some old 2e D&D art work of a dwarf (flint from dragonlance?) And the steel mace is some super famous Renaissance era Italian mace that seems to pulled up every single time a mace is needed. Personally I'd really like to see a wooden club with a brass ring, you never see those in games and it'd make a great "iron" mace.

Ahem, that is CLEARLY the axe of Bruenor Battlehammer, true king of Mithral Hall. You can tell because of his iconic one-horned helmet and his drow, barbarian, and halfling companions. :cool:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I stand corrected, I always knew it as "that awesome picture from Dragon Quest'
" :cheers:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1W6Su1YXLE

Nvidia showcased their ray tracing modding tool with Morrowind

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 20, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E1W6Su1YXLE

What sorcery is this?!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Leal posted:

What sorcery is this?!

disingenuous mysticism. the ai just knew that the room needed a new potted plant and a light source coming from the mages guild closet

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hah, nice catch; I also saw that some of the objects were replacements and not simply up rezzed. But if someone adds real time (?) Ray traced lighting, I'm all for it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Leal posted:

What sorcery is this?!

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

from what I understand it intercepts the draw calls from DX8 and DX9 applications and uses those draw calls to recreate the scene and its assets in their modding tool. You can modify how the scene renders, move and replace meshes or even add new ones. It seems like you then use a wrapper to render the modified scene.

That's cool and also seems like a terrible idea. AFAIK these are all purely visual, scene dependent changes. Remastering all of Morrowind with the level of fidelity demonstrated in the demo would take an entire team of developers years since you would have to do it manually for every single cell. The game itself also doesn't know about any of these changes. The extra planter, added chest, etc. aren't actually part of the game, they're just being rendered. So NPCs will just walk through them and the moved books won't actually align with their in game bounding boxes. I also don't think that it can do things like distant terrain or procedural grass. And it's definitely worth pointing out that a lot of the assets shown in the demo were created by hand using existing modeling tools, it's not like the AI was doing it automatically.

It seems like a cool way to add raytracing to older, smaller games though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1W6Su1YXLE

Video was made private.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Here's a better video from Nvidia themselves that explains the process more thoroughly.

Ironically, i think the others are right in that Morrowind is probably a worst case scenario for this tech; i have no idea how this would interact with modlists. But if it DOES work, hoo boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

its a similar process to grass textures in mgexe, theyre ethereal graphics card objects not game objects. the game itself isn't changing

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Couldn't there be some option for generating a light map before playing, and then re-running it any time you make changes to your mod list?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ironically, i think the others are right in that Morrowind is probably a worst case scenario for this tech; i have no idea how this would interact with modlists. But if it DOES work, hoo boy.

It's makes an impressive test case but I doubt a game where half the appeal comes from the ability to pick up and move objects (including light emitting objects!) is one you want to use this tech with.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Moving objects should be fine, and it's possible movable light emitting objects would be too, if the materials can be correctly set up as light emitters.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack B Nimble posted:

Couldn't there be some option for generating a light map before playing, and then re-running it any time you make changes to your mod list?

There are no light maps, from what I can tell. However, whether or not you have to regenerate lighting depends on how scenes work. If scene lighting is completely bespoke then you would have to update or redo scenes with modified lighting. If the information in scenes can be used to generalize across the entire game then you wouldn't have to modify anything unless you made changes to scenes you manually edited.

It's not super clear if the lighting is bespoke or if you can do something like tell the game to render every single candle with a light source just above it. They only show placing lights in the actual game world itself, how they set up a light source attached to a mesh isn't demonstrated.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's makes an impressive test case but I doubt a game where half the appeal comes from the ability to pick up and move objects (including light emitting objects!) is one you want to use this tech with.

It shouldn't break existing physics, it's only items added purely in rendering that won't work.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 20, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

are you expected to generate this for the entire game? it certainly cant do this for every asset and every cell on the fly lol

also most peoples barrier of entry is combat and not graphics. they're wrong but it is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

turn off the TV posted:

It shouldn't break existing physics, it's only items added purely in rendering that won't work.

Sure, but just as you mentioned, what happens when you pick up a book that's casting a shadow? Or move a candle from one table to another?