Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Right, different gods have different spheres and have thematically appropriate magic cloth and magic metal to clad their "angels" with. Pitch-black for night gods, undulating metal for ocean gods, shining metal and motes of light for light gods, twisted for chaos, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The game doesn't have any way to cull metals you don't have access too without using dfhack, so it just displays every metal in the world.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I find it hard to play without dfhack, unless by some tint of insane programming Tarn implements all the cleanup functionality.

I'm not entirely sure I'd put it past him, but I can't quite bring myself to hope.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tias posted:

What are the "[prefix] metal" materials suggested by the forge, like "glowing metal" and "dark metal" and are they included in the game? If so, where? The only non-regular metals I've ever encountered in vanilla were adamantine and divine metal.

These are divine metals which generate with random properties and can generally only be found in vaults. Vaults are rare hidden dungeons full of angels with magic weapons and armor and GM weapon/combat skills that are meant to mop the floor with adventurers. I was only ever able to make any progress in one of these dungeons by using a very, very, very small flying character (Budgie-Man) in the very very late game with legendary in all skills; It was effectively impossible for them to hit my budgie. Then, when I killed them, picking up the weapons flash boiled all the fat on my body ; Apparently, the weapons glow at about 14000 degrees celcius when they're wielded in battle. Somehow I managed to walk away from this one without any permanent crippling injuries but looking at my character's status screen was a little rough for a while. The Shin Fat is Melting! The Shin Fat is Completely Gone!

I was eventually able to figure out a safe-ish way to move the weapons but I don't think I ever bothered dragging them back to my fortress to see if I could dismantle them in fortress mode.

Adventure mode tip: Budgie Man, Parrot Man and Cockatiel Man are incredibly fun demis to play in adventure mode, they have the weird body shape problem so finding armor replacement is rough, but the playstyle is basically "a grass parakeet with a final fantasy dragoon lance", recommend starting with a spear or a 2H and just start making a bee line towards the nearest Roc or Hydra on the map. Sneak everywhere while flying, it's essentially free, comes at no movement penalty and will level your stealth skills unbelievably fast. It's very easy to land in a group, kill a bandit or goblin or whatever, and then take off up three or four zlevels before anyone noticed you did any killing. This death form above way of dealing with bandit camps is really fun and effective.

something so satisfying about going at it in an aerial battle with a roc and winning, targeting wings with the lance from two above and sending the Roc plummeting to the ground in an explosion of bones and roc meat when I nick their wing off and send it sailing in the other direction

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 17, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So the metals exist, but aren't available inside fortress mode without hacking them in. Seems like it's all the same if they all have effects that explode the wearer, though. :ThatsDF:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

These are divine metals which generate with random properties and can generally only be found in vaults. Vaults are rare hidden dungeons full of angels with magic weapons and armor and GM weapon/combat skills that are meant to mop the floor with adventurers. I was only ever able to make any progress in one of these dungeons by using a very, very, very small flying character (Budgie-Man) in the very very late game with legendary in all skills; It was effectively impossible for them to hit my budgie. Then, when I killed them, picking up the weapons flash boiled all the fat on my body ; Apparently, the weapons glow at about 14000 degrees celcius when they're wielded in battle. Somehow I managed to walk away from this one without any permanent crippling injuries but looking at my character's status screen was a little rough for a while. The Shin Fat is Melting! The Shin Fat is Completely Gone!

One weird trick weight loss clinics don't want you to find about

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mirthless posted:

something so satisfying about going at it in an aerial battle with a roc and winning, targeting wings with the lance from two above and sending the Roc plummeting to the ground in an explosion of bones and roc meat when I nick their wing off and send it sailing in the other direction

God that is so rad

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Plants for drier locations.

Deserts with different sand colors.

Trolls and Dwarves

Troll blood splatter.

Combat report

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3264567603401311873

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Very nice

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I am very ready to give Toady my money.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kenning posted:

Again

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kenning posted:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Donate to their patreon

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

That almost looks like a graphical user interface circa the early 1990s. Amazing. I'm actually likely to get this when it comes out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

MarcusSA posted:

Donate to their patreon

I do! I just wanna buy the game.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I don't even know if I'll ever really find the time to play DF again, but they're definitely getting my money.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hope you’re not dying.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Dying to play dorf fortress!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

He was irritated recently after being unable to play Dwarf Fortress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
well, there's definitely nothing more Dwarf Fortress than your subjects complaining about not having something that's freely available from your stockpiles :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I noticed on Toadys latest post he mentions a PAX demo.

https://west.paxsite.com/en-us/sche...h-Adams-13-and-

Pretty cool! Feels like we are getting close.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1563932415600607234

This, of course, raises a question: Is it art because it was created by a madman?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1563932415600607234

This, of course, raises a question: Is it art because it was created by a madman?

Wow, 2026 release confirmed

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A time sooner than eternity

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Looking forward to it being released five minutes before the heat death of the universe.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is holding a Dwarf Fortress launch party

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Wow, 2026 release confirmed

the promise has been made

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
DF is getting a new soundtrack, 15 songs from one of the people who contributed to SoundSense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXQKqGhfIY

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
So long as the original guitar track is on the soundtrack that's fine, but if it's not I'll be a bit disappointed. There's something incredibly hypnotic about it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know Tarn never wrote down the original soundtrack as he was just messing around on his guitar but people have recreated it and even written sheet music for it so maybe he could record it again in higher fidelity? That would be great.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was not expecting dwarfish country music.

That's novel and kind of cool on its own, but it doesn't set the mood for the game like the original guitar theme does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
♩ she thinks my minecart's sexy ♫

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the music they showcased, I don't know if I would necessarily play it with that music on, but it's neat at least and cool they got a larger soundtrack included!

I'd probably wind up going with my standard chill minecraft playlist while playing it though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
the twanging guitar is usually annoying to me, so i turn it off. But its very fitting I think. You are the frontier after all, so some dwarf sitting on a stump, plinking away at the instrument while everything falls to poo poo behind them is on brand. The FDS (fortress defense system) is leaking magma over the main hallway, a dwarf is berserking because you didn't have wool cloth to finish his artifact, while your hammerer is busy beating another dwarf senseless because no one made the mayor's demands of eight more figurines of themselves, and the local werezebra is mauling a chicken while a dwarven parent tries to attack it by swinging its child at the intruder.

You know, things to twang your instrument to.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Drakenel, I object to your description of dwarves using their children as weapons. That is not only factually inaccurate but also horrible dwarven parenting. They use their babies as shields.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Pickled Tink posted:

Drakenel, I object to your description of dwarves using their children as weapons. That is not only factually inaccurate but also horrible dwarven parenting. They use their babies as shields.

Have you not seen a goblin head get crushed by a shield? I stand by my statement.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah a site without a volcano is just, why

This is not the way.

Hihohe posted:

Real dwarves pump magma up, volcanoes are for lazy tree lovin sissies

This is also not the way.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You must dig deeper

This is the way.

It's been a few years since I played DF, but when I did I realized that Dwarves climb vertically at the same rate as they walk horizontally. You don't need to start with surface lava or do a lava pump mega project to bring it up. Just dig until you hit lava, and that's where you put the forges. The time it takes to go all that way up and down is less than walking across a large map.

This quirk also means that a super vertical fortress is better in general than a horizontal one. I used to build the whole thing so each level was dedicated to one dwarf task, which left some large levels (dining hall, bedrooms, mausoleum) and a lot of very small levels (one for each type of craft).

You'll probably get caverns on the way, which is the only tricky part.

(This info could be out of date).

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
wait a fuckin minute, was the "bug" where dungeon masters would always go shirtless with cloaks actually a reference to the solar cycle

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You mean Severian? Could be. Could also be that the two share a terrible fashion sense.

What did dungeon masters even do again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
they tamed exotic monsters but i'm not sure if that ever actually worked