Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

therobit posted:

NYC…..a functioning public transit system.

You don’t live here, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't speed. Frankly, if possible, don't drive.

Driving is just a pain in the arse really.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cerepol posted:

Why is the daughter an rear end in a top hat? Or do you mean the mom and stepmom?

Regardless, I can't imagine forcing someone to cut hair as an act of support is a good idea at all. It really has to be something you want to do like the second story

The two moms, I feel bad for both girls.

Piell posted:

AITA for changing the door locks back after my wife changed them?

also gently caress this guy holy poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You don’t live here, do you?

on the one hand yes but on the other hand have you lived in literally any other city in america

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

evilweasel posted:

on the one hand yes but on the other hand have you lived in literally any other city in america

Bizarre PCIX anecdote incoming!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think that when people talk about "speed traps" it's usually on freeways targeting people driving prevailing speed but above written speed, rather than on street corners.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

haveblue posted:

If you already have a working key, it takes very little time for a locksmith

Sometimes you don’t even need a locksmith. Kwikset makes a lock where all you need to do to rekey it is stick the key in, stick a pin into a hole, replace the old key with the new one, and take the pin back out

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Piell posted:

AITA for changing the door locks back after my wife changed them?

Good news?

OP posted:

Update* sorry I haven’t been able to reply the past couple of hours. I have been busy.

I talked to my mom again and let her know my sister isn’t allowed over without me home.

I asked a friends wife who is a maid to come deep clean our home. So if/when my wife comes home it’s clean.

The last thing is my mom asked me to help cover my sisters cheer. She is on track for a scholarship. I told my mom I would pay half of my wife’s things were returned. If not the money was going to replace the stolen items.

Also my sister was invited to home coming. She wanted me to buy a dress. I told her no for not following our home rules and the money I saved for the dress is going to pay for the maid.

I did replace the locks again. I also am planning a romantic dinner I will make and clean up. I heard a lot about the cinnamon rolls. Someone on here gave me the idea to make them. I am for a dessert.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes, I'm aware. I live in New York. But that doesn't justify speeding west of the Mississippi.
There speaks a man who has never driven in Texas.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Use ice cream too and maybe a loving spa day. Dipshit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

Sometimes you don’t even need a locksmith. Kwikset makes a lock where all you need to do to rekey it is stick the key in, stick a pin into a hole, replace the old key with the new one, and take the pin back out

And even if rekeying is a bit tricky on other brands, outright replacing the lock rarely requires more than a screwdriver if you have physical access. When people talk about "changing the locks" they usually mean a trip to Home Depot to swap out the entire mechanism, at least in my experience.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

It doesn't sound like this bozo has figured out why his wife is mad.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ziv Zulander posted:

These really suck and are unreliable. Quickset locks suck generally also. But actually rekeying a lock is super easy if you have a key for it, a new key, and a set of pins you can get off Amazon. There are plenty of YouTube videos that can show you how.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After watching the lockpicking lawyer I just replaced all my doors with more walls and sunk my home beneath the waves

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Barudak posted:

After watching the lockpicking lawyer I just replaced all my doors with more walls and sunk my home beneath the waves

He’ll still get in using nothing more than a shiv made out of a Red Bull can and you know I’m right.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

to use my pool and steal my wifes perfume you must first answer the riddle of the sphinx

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

blatman posted:

to use my pool and steal my wifes perfume you must first answer the riddle of the sphinx

lockpickinglawyer posted:

So, as I've shown in several prior videos, sphinx riddles have a couple of key weaknesses that really make them a poor choice for securing anything valuable...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sphinx riddles were a lot more secure before the internet, we all know the "what walks on four legs in the morning blah blah" riddle by now

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm assuming the actual real-life Sphinx that absolutely existed had a bigger riddle repertoire.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm assuming the actual real-life Sphinx that absolutely existed had a bigger riddle repertoire.

lock picking lawyer posted:

Using the riddle solver that me and bosnianbill designed we can easily bypass the sphinx

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not confronting my son’s soccer coach?

quote:

To make a >3,000 character post short my dad got called out by my 9 yr old son’s soccer coach for sideline coaching when the soccer club has a rule against that. My dad was made aware of the rule at a previous tournament but I did not explicitly remind him as I should have. The rest of the game my dad was muttering snide remarks about everything the coach did.

I did not engage as I hoped that ignoring the behavior would discourage it. At one point I asked him what he was saying and he said “I’m just being a smarta$$.” I figured he knew he was misbehaving and it’d stop. He was quieter about it but continued to my mom.

The assistant coach (AC now) approached him after the game to explain the things the coach was doing and the no sideline coaching rule. My dad blew up about singling him out and first amendment rights then stormed off. My kids did not witness this.

Weeks later after not hearing from my dad I’m now learning from my mom my dad is mad that I didn’t back him up with the coach.

My dad hates being singled/called out. When the coach told him to stop it was audible to the entire sideline. This embarrassed my dad. He does not like being embarrassed it quickly turns into anger. So when the AC approached him after it just escalated the situation.

This is a competitive team that my son does not have a guaranteed spot on. He has to try out every year and he loves this team. I tried giving more context but I’m a wind bag apparently and have a hard time shortening to <3,000 characters. So AITA for not intervening?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Intervene and tell your stupid dad he can't come to any more games until he learns to follow the rules like a big boy.

Love people that hate being singled out--while singling themselves out, drawing attention to themselves by acting like assholes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Piell posted:

Wow, this activity really upsets OP's Dad, maybe he should be encouraged to stop attending... what's that? The whiny overgrown baby isn't coming because he's having a weeks-long sulk? Sounds like a problem that solved itself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hiring a sphinx to guard your valuables just tells the thief there's something worth more than a sphinx in there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
*ahem*

I'M SORRY I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA!

It was quite a shock to realize South Park in fact dialed down a lot of that poo poo.

AITA for removing all the improvements I made to my room and my parents' house after they announced that I would have to move?

quote:

I (25F) lived with my parents (50F and 55M) because it is very close to my service and it is a very expensive area.

I can currently live alone, but I didn't because I never needed it and my parents didn't ask.

As time went on and I earned more, I put in air conditioning, made my room smart, as well as the house (Alexa), put a very good shower in the guest bathroom (which I eventually added to my bedroom) I bought quality furniture to my room etc. My room turned out to be the best in the house because of the changes I made.

And yes, I paid rent to my parents (quite fat by the way).

It's been 3 months since they came to talk to me, saying it was time for me to change, because they wanted to have their moment alone now and I was able to live on my own. I agreed, after all I was just living there for ease and convenience.

I found a house and I would need to make all the changes I planned, so in order not to have to buy it when I have it, I replaced all the sockets/bulbs/switches (smart) and the shower with common ones (I paid for them all and this increase in energy I paid too). I also removed the air conditioner and paid to plug the hole it leaves. Besides of course all the furniture in my room and Alexas scattered around the house.

My parents started complaining that I shouldn't take everything out, as they were in common use. They were planning to move his room to mine and that with these changes I made my room worse and the house in general too (it's just not smart, everything I bought was quality).

I said that they asked me to move and I'm taking everything I bought, because I needed to have other expenses (I made a payment on the house) and these items were all bought by me and all the increase in energy I had was paid only by me too. And that if they wanted to buy, I can help search online, but I would take these items.

They called me selfish, because I made the house worse and removed the items in common use, as they were already used to the smart home. They complained even more when I didn't want to leave the 65' Smart TV in my room as a gift for them (I didn't leave it because it's new and it was too expensive).

I moved a week ago, but they're still upset.

All items are brand new (most less than 1 year old)

Add: Yes it was cheaper for me to replace. Legally I can do this. It's not US, these things are very expensive in my country

AITA?

Extra: No replaced item made them lose money, all were replaced by the same (before smart) or better. It's because the Smart is twice the price of normal items so obviously it's of a "lesser" quality compared to smart things.

Extra: About AC, I didn't put it in the text, they complained the least, because they don't use it, I took it mainly because it would gather dust in my parents' house.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bruceski posted:

Hiring a sphinx to guard your valuables just tells the thief there's something worth more than a sphinx in there.

Really, the best practice is to leave the treasure vault door unlocked and make sure you take all the treasure home with you at the end of the day.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the riddle solver look suspiciously like a ramset?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Cerekk posted:

The nicest old lady I know raised 7 children that are all wonderful people while also teaching kindergarten for most of her life. Her strategy was simply to wait 5-6 years in between each child.

Does it count as parentifying your child if you are collaboratively raising your toddler with your middle-aged child's toddler?

Don't know, eceryone I know has them as close together as possible to get through the infant/toddler stage once.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just hire a meme sphinx instead.

quote:

"If a man walks on four legs as a kid and three as an old guy, does he walk on one or both as an adult?"

"...Both?"

"Both-a DEEZ NUTS! :v: :twisted: :j:"

(And then she doesn't let you in.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Piell posted:

There is nothing worse at a little league sports event than parents and grandparents that take it too seriously. My daughter’s’s team is a bunch of goofy as gently caress middle schoolers that are the second string players and it is way more loving chill than the competitive team, but the girls all have fun and support each other and all the parents are positive and encouraging. The. They will go play another team somewhere in the middle of nowhere and there will be a psycho dad yelling at the ump over balls and strikes when they are 5 points up on us.

My son payed in rookie league which doesn’t even keep score and my wife witnessed a dad that was ON his kid shouting instructions for every play and correcting his body position all the time. That kid is going to hate baseball.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not telling my landlord I had bought a house?

quote:

I'd been renting from a landlord for a few years, and he was a pretty typical landlord. Take the rent, do as few repairs as cheap as possible, etc. I'm sure you know the drill.

He also was kinda late on stuff, like every year the lease says renewals should be sent out 2 months before the end of the lease to give the option, and every year he procrastinates until the last week or two of the lease.

I was looking to buy my first house and I closed on one 4 months before my lease was up. But i kept some overlap so I could live in the apartment while repairing the house.

2 months before the lease was up, like usual, my landlord forgot to send out the renewals. I thought of telling him I wouldn't be renewing, then I remembered that my neighbors who moved had trouble with him bringing way too many potential tennants to tour. Nobody wanted the apartment because the online listing was a bait and switch so people would see something looking in good repair then come to tour and see it was poo poo. And nobody wanted to sign the lease so he just kept bringing more and more people instead of making a honest listing at a honest price.

So I didn't say anything. I just kept fixing up the house and moving my stuff. Then one week before my lease expired my landlord texted me the renewal. I actually didn't see it because i had my phone on don't disturb but the next morning he kept texting wanting my signed renewal.

I told him I didn't plan on renewing, and he got really angry. Demanding to know what apartment I was moving to next. (I got the impression he wanted to call my next landlord to bitch about me)

Anyway I told him I was moving back in with my parents. I didn't wanna tell him about the house because of the temper he was getting with me.

He started showing the apartment right away but I'd already finished moving out so it didn't bother me. But when I stopped by to turn in my keys, and ask for my security deposit, he got angry saying that I had some nerve asking for $1300 when I'd just screwed him out of a month rent by not giving notice. I told him that the security deposit was for damages, and if he wanted to withhold it he would have to send over an itemized list of damages and receipts for repairs.

He gave me the security deposit back but yelled at me that he took care of his tennants and I was selfish for leaving without notice. I just left but I guess I'm feeling kinda conflicted. On one hand, it is literally his job... His only job.. to handle leases and find out who's renewing. And if he forgot that's not really my problem.

But I also know I knew I was leaving for the better part of a year and I told him with less than a week.

AITA for not telling my landlord I bought a house

Edit... For all you keyboard lawyers in the comments being like yOuR lEaSe sAyS...

I've read my lease. It doesn't say half the poo poo y'all sre saying it says.

Have you read my lease? And if so, how the hell did you get into my bedroom desk 👀

a nice little lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for not telling my landlord I had bought a house?

a nice little lol

Bunch a landlords in the comments, gently caress'em up OP!

Edit: reading the comments, most of them are NTA. Although some of them think it matters whether the lease said OP had to do anything? Who cares? If it did I bet the landlord would have made use of it, or if the landlord is unable or unwilling to act on that, good.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

therobit posted:

There is nothing worse at a little league sports event than parents and grandparents that take it too seriously. My daughter’s’s team is a bunch of goofy as gently caress middle schoolers that are the second string players and it is way more loving chill than the competitive team, but the girls all have fun and support each other and all the parents are positive and encouraging. The. They will go play another team somewhere in the middle of nowhere and there will be a psycho dad yelling at the ump over balls and strikes when they are 5 points up on us.

My son payed in rookie league which doesn’t even keep score and my wife witnessed a dad that was ON his kid shouting instructions for every play and correcting his body position all the time. That kid is going to hate baseball.

On kids playing sport and their parents:

You are entirely right. The kid of the parent you described is going to grow up HATING baseball. And that sucks for them, coz playing an outside sport is cool and good and fun. Certainly better than video games. Hehe.

I always feel that your hyper competitive/hyper aggressive peoplemen learned the wrong lessons from their time playing sport as a kid.

Coz the lessons I learned from playing cricket as a young lad were:
1)It's fun to play a sport you enjoy
2)It's fun to play outside with your friends
3)It's good to have father/son time where your dad teaches you new skills.
4)The bonds that grow within a team can be good

These are all good and cool lessons to learn, but the one that has stuck with me the most/longest, and perhaps this is because I am poo poo at cricket is:
5)Whilst it is good to win, sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you will lose. But it's OK because of lessons 1-4

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
TIFU By Choosing My Girlfriend Over My Job

quote:

I’ll try to keep this as brief as possible, and hopefully this formats okay because I’m on mobile.

This is a two-part gently caress up, one that happened last week and the second part today.

So, as the title says, I hosed up by picking my girlfriend (we’ll call her Maria) over my job. Maria and I have been working together for a couple years now but she was in a relationship the whole time up until a few months ago. She was dating a guy (we’ll call him Hank) who is one of the longest tenured employees at our job, is extremely well liked and is a really good dude, though I wouldn’t say he and I were super close by any means. Maria and I run in similar social circles so we are around each other a LOT both inside and outside of work, and one thing led to another and we started dating. We immediately told Hank since we all work together, and he didn’t seem to care, but we made it a point to keep it quiet around the office to not start anything.

That is, until last week, when Maria and I were spotted out together and news made it back to the office. Our boss found out, and he was LIVID. He called me into his office and made a huge deal about me dating “a made-man’s” girl and how I’m a scumbag and a backstabber and all this. I tried to explain myself (admittedly didn’t do a good job because I’m an idiot) and he wasn’t having it. He tried to get me to admit what I was doing was wrong and that I made a mistake but I wouldn’t do it, and doubled down on my commitment to my girl. This hosed me, because the boss started telling me my contract was up for renewal in February and that I wouldn’t be renewed now. He said other things to cover his rear end, like I’m not producing any value for the company anyways, and that technically I’m not getting fired I’ll just expire my current contract and wouldn’t get picked up again. So, essentially, picking my girlfriend has cost me my job.

That sucked, until today, when Maria decided she didn’t want to be with me anymore. She told me dating me was a mistake, that I was a rebound for her after she got out of a long relationship, that she would rather live a single life as she travels the country for her role at our company. She also threw some personal shots at me disguised as “advice to find a better girl” like: shave my head (I have long hair but am balding on top) and quit wearing a hat all the time, hit the gym (I’m a frail guy), and find something I’m good at for work(think this was an echoing of my convo with my boss, who said I have no real talent).

So, I REALLY hosed up.

TL;DR: I hosed up by picking my girlfriend over my job, got canned, and then dumped.

I wonder if the boss pressured the woman to dump him with the carrot of getting to travel as an added benefit.

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 30, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Hypocrites

quote:

I have had a huge fight with my college-age daughter over her boyfriend coming to visit her at home this summer. She wants him to be able to stay in her room rather than with her brothers. Her dad and I are not comfortable about her having sex under our roof.

She blew up and said that all the adults in our family are hypocrites about sex—she referred to the fact that my brother’s birthday is six months after my parents’ wedding anniversary and that her older brothers went on camping trips with their girlfriends when they were younger than she is. I am very hurt and haven’t talk to her since then. I know all my older children are sexually active, and I want them to be safe and smart about it, but I feel uncomfortable having her boyfriend in her bedroom when I still have younger children here.

What do you think I should do? (Talking with my husband about this is useless—sex and our only daughter is not a topic I can bring up to him calmly.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

edgeman83 posted:

TIFU By Choosing My Girlfriend Over My Job

I wonder if the boss pressured the woman to dump him with the carrot of getting to travel as an added benefit.

Dipping my pen in the company ink to sign my acknowledgement of dismissal form

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
“My Boyfriend Shares a Bed With His 20-Year-Old Sister!”

quote:

I think my boyfriend and his sister are TOO close. His Instagram is covered with pictures of her (she’s in about 90% of the pictures he posts). He doesn’t even post pictures of the two of us despite that we’ve been together almost a year. When he gets good news or something cool happens, he speed dials his sister to tell her, even if he is with me. He calls her multiple times a day just to “check on her” and “see what she’s doing.” If she doesn’t answer, he immediately worries something may have happened to her. He doesn’t do the same for me though. They are ALWAYS texting all throughout the day and late hours of the night.
His sister didn’t approve of our relationship when we first got together. She said awful things about me and tried to convince him that I was no good and I didn’t really like him — that I was just with him to get back at her and my ex, whom she is now dating. She eventually “got over it” when she saw I wasn’t going anywhere, but we’ve had multiple arguments throughout my relationship with her brother.

I am currently eight months pregnant by her brother, and a few months ago, when my boyfriend and I were going through a tough spot and had trust issues, I went through his phone and found that his sister was saying to him that I’m the type of girl who would hold our baby as leverage against him. This is the kind of stuff she fills his head with constantly.

His sister is only home about 60% of the time, and when she comes home, he gets so excited. If we’re lying in bed, he’ll hop right up and go hold an hour conversation with her, even if they’ve been texting all day. His sister doesn’t have a room at the house. so if she decides to stay home that night, she shares the bed with her brother, my boyfriend. Yes, they sleep together… she is 20 years old, he is 22! She could sleep on the couch but would rather sleep with him… in the bed we have sex in. If my boyfriend and I have plans to sleep over at his house but his sister decides to stay home and sleep in his bed, he’ll call off the plans. Or sometimes before we even make plans to sleep over at his house, he will first call his sister to basically check if it’s okay with her, if she’s sleeping in his bed that night or not. Sometimes I’ll invite him out and he’ll refuse to go unless his sister is going. Whenever we all go out together, the two of them hang out and leave me out.

I feel like he’s dating his sister more than he’s dating me. When he gets dressed, he runs to ask his sister if it looks okay even though I’m sitting right there. If he needs something ironed or folded, he asks his sister to do it, not me. Sometime I feel that she is TOO involved in our relationship, too opinionated about us. Am I just jealous or does this make you uncomfortable too? — Feeling Uncomfortable

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

BrigadierSensible posted:

On kids playing sport and their parents:

You are entirely right. The kid of the parent you described is going to grow up HATING baseball. And that sucks for them, coz playing an outside sport is cool and good and fun.

My daughter is in second grade and just tried being on a soccer team for the first time. I will admit I did some sideline coaching but 99% of it was "Spread out!" because at that age level the kids all follow the ball like they are moths following a candle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Yes because they'll definitely only have sex at night when everyone is in the house sleeping.