Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How often do FETEs happen in the Firmament?

Awesome! posted:

my question is why do classes with no mana need a mana bar still? i shouldnt need a mod to hide a useless ui widget

I have the opposite gripe - I'd rather use the bar above my head or at the top of the party list for my HP. The half of that element with the HP bar is off-screen.

VV tyvm that explains it

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Fete's happen in streaks of 12, with each session taking about 25 minutes out of a 2 hour block. After the day of fetes, you get a random dead time of I think 1 to 2 days before another set of 12.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

Can I cheat to give myself a Crystal Braves outfit? I don't even mind if I'm the only one who can see it.

It's absolutely possible, yes. I don't know if someone has made such a thing, but it could be done.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I just re-subbed, never made it past like level 15ish before life got in the way of playing. Are there any up-to-date guides for new players I could read through during downtime at work? I'm gonna try and stick with it this time around, it's definitely scratching the MMO itch I have

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relyssa posted:

It's absolutely possible, yes. I don't know if someone has made such a thing, but it could be done.

It's weird there isn't a way to get one legit. Post-HWNot like anyone else is wearing them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd settle for a generic "Company Greatcoat" that could be dyed any color.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

bagmonkey posted:

I just re-subbed, never made it past like level 15ish before life got in the way of playing. Are there any up-to-date guides for new players I could read through during downtime at work? I'm gonna try and stick with it this time around, it's definitely scratching the MMO itch I have

For the most part, just follow the MSQ, as well as grabbing any blue quests since they all unlock something. It’ll be a long while before you get your full rotation, but be sure to read your skills. There’s a new compact view in your skills page that’ll lay it out for you to give you an idea of what buttons you should be pushing too. Also you can slot all your skills ahead of time which is heavily recommended since the game just automatically slots into whatever free slot there is whenever you get a new skill, and it’s never the place you’d want the skill to be. Other than that, just progress forward and most stuff will be tutorialized for you as you progress forward.

There is one thing with skills that isn’t immediately obvious, being skills are either weaponskills/spells(GCDs) and abilities(OGCDS). The new compact view will categorize all that for you, but the idea is you’d be pushing your ogcds in-between GCDs while they’re on cooldown. It depends on the job though since some barely have any ogcds and others will have a lot, but like I said, it’ll be a long while before you have all of your buttons.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

bagmonkey posted:

Video instead of article, but SE recently put together a new player video series which is all nice and up to date: https://youtu.be/hCMxiSH1Otw

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

bagmonkey posted:

This thread is fairly new and most, if not all, of the stuff in and linked from the OP is recent enough to be correct.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can also confirm the gfx & ui settings stuff in the op is a really noticeable improvement over default.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My adventures continue!

I'm now Level ~26 and continued both the main story quest and the arcanist guild quest lines; I've also briefly dipped into a few other Limsa Laminsa classes like Fishing and Maurader.

At least I'm taller than these Lalafel:

Something about the starting outfit works really well when fishing.

At some point I meet this dork who pals around with Baderon:

I get Sharpe vibes, like how Sharpe works with the Duke of Wellington or a different semi-important bigwig every so often.

While doing side quests I run into dancing pirates:

I like how every so often my character just turns her head and looks up at someone to be like, "Really?"

Whelp, if you can't beat em' join em':

During the Arcanists Guild quests I meet my girlfriend:

Me trying to be the mysterious stranger in the pub:

Does anime have the whole "mysterious robbed stranger in the corner smoking a pipe" trope like Western fantasy does?

But nothing beats Y'shtola's entrance:

Even my character is blown away!

And yeah, woman of culture spotted.

She is my husbando, the decision cannot be undone. :hai:

I hang onto her every word.

Eventually I figure out how to turn off the hat.

But not before I faint and stare at the Mother of All Crystals.

"Yare yare daze"

I meet my first Ascian, I like how if you pay attention, they do get name-dropped prior to this. As do the Allagans.

But interesting, I saw like a dark crystal thing but it disappeared? I've seen a Story focused LP of AAR & Heavensward pre-patch so I'll keep my question spoilered: Ascians are supposed to be immortal right? So does that mean this Ascian we defeated at the beginning does come back later either in ARR or Heavensward?

I like how well the camera frames most scenes (albeit I ended up having to rough crop some of these because of the dumb discord overlay):

Like it's really impressive the visuals, like so:

This quest I'm at where I have to "wait" for some hostiles to pass through, I'm waiting like a solid 5 minutes like a dumb dumb before I realize I'm supposed to interact with a marker!

But anyways.

"Get Doc... I need doc..."
"I can't! He got possessed by the evil guy and they escaped! He's the one that killed you! Don't you remember!?"
"I know... I want him to kill me again."

My girlfriend losing her book made me sad, as a hoarder I know how difficult it can be to handle losing something precious to you. So I vow to help her get it back; although I am very concerned that maybe she isn't taking it very well, the Punisher is NOT a role model to be emulating!!!

During the course of this questline I meet this spectacular mfer:

He reminds me of Enigmatic Gale from Thunderbolt Fantasy but wordier.

Stupid Cool Flanders :mad:

I sigh as K'lyhia seems too distracted to look at me. :smith:

But I do the silly dance and that cheers her up.

I imagine my character is doing the dance from the KonoSuba OP with the unamused deadpan expression the whole time. I'm doing this for you.

But continuing this will have to wait until I am level 30, in the meantime the MSQ awaits!

HOLY MOLLY!!! SHE ARRIVES! WITH FANFAIR!

Ms. Tall I Am Not A Pirate I Swear(tm) knows how to make an entrance!

Hahaha I captured the perfect face my character is making: "What the... she's even taller, gently caress." :catstare:

After being told the world's worst nautical pun my character faints again and is given visions of the past, where I am caught up on happened on the fields of Carteneau.

I actually legit don't remember this scene playing out this way during the LP I watched, so it's actually pretty fresh to me.

Some animator REALLY loving loves Kan-E-Senna. Every shot just frames her incredibly and powerfully.

"Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for MY throne."

Baderon checks up on me, and apologizes for his godawful pun.

I'd joke about how he's in my room uninvited but we'd all invite this handsome devil into our rooms I'm sure. :allears:

This is actually the first time in the inn room; sadly still don't have the glamour dresser unlocked yet.

Merlwyb invites me to her office, chews me out for being a loose cannon and sends me out of the city for a while, she wants some mail delivered to Girl Boss and Big Boss.

Off to RivendellGridania.

"FINALLY! We don't have to see her terrible dancing for a while."

Honestly my character seems pretty happy to spread her wings, *angry mumbling that she totally has /angry mumbling*

drat that's a nice outfit. I say, as I start complaining about politics and she's like, "Ma'am this is a Wendy's."

I get a head start at opening my tab at the bar, that I'm totally going to pay. :cheers:

Hey look its toxic gamers, YOU'RE PLAYING THE WRONG GAME! GO BACK TO WOW!!

She has a WHAT in her bag!?

In Ul'dah I meet up with Big Boss, who is also too tall.

Ul'dah is also refreshingly easy to navigate.

I go to the Alchemist's Guild where I get started doing my best Breaking Bad rp.

At some point I return to Limsa Lominsa where I met a freaking Jojo character:

Don't. You. Dare. My hair is PERFECT thank you very much, I have an image to maintain!

Every once in a while I see players RP'ing around Limsa, and this one I am absolutely certain is waiting for a date.

I also meet up with some cool all-female pirates who I am sure are just friends.

I'm definitely regretting not doing some of these side quests earlier, I think some of my friends led me astray who suggested I shouldn't do them and focus on the MSQ, but (a) some of these side quests taught me mechanics/emotes/etc that I wasn't sure about, and (b) some of them introduce me to some quirky NPCs or bring me to places I hadn't been yet and do some interesting world building, so I think I'll interweave side quests with MSQ from now on instead of playing "optimally".

I didn't take a picture but I love the slavic squatting they do outside, I hope I get that emote eventually.

After delivering the mail to the other Eorzian Alliance leaders, and funnily enough, I actually forgot about the "wolf" exchange the first time, so it hit me suddenly, "Oh. That was code!" and yeah, that's just really good bit of story telling there and it was neat.

I start doing the dungeons with my friends, that's a LOT of dakka:

We're sync'd, but everything dies so fast and I'm just frantically trying to follow.

"10 years ago a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit.
These adventurers promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Limsa Lominsa underground.
Today they are still wanted by the Empire, they survive as soldiers of fortune, if you have a problem, if
no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire:

The F-Team.

Except the male Viera, we don't know him, he just joined us randomly to fill a spot." *cue music*

I completed Satasha's and the Cult of the Lamb dungeons, waiting for our schedules to line up to do the Copper Mine dungeon next.

In the meantime I'm doing a sweep doing side quests like talking to anti-immigrant single issue rural Hyur voters to gauge their concerns; apparently just like in real life, time is a flat round shape in that there is a housing crisis:

And also taking time to enjoy the finer things in life, like this sunset:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Getting my crafters 65-70 with the diadem / firmament. Realized I was doing the same couple combos to guarantee 100% quality across them all.

The sheer power I felt after setting up my first two macros that do most everything I need atm. Holy poo poo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:sickos:

Keep an eye on Edda. She's important (relatively speaking) later.

Don't read this Raenir: Don't bully sprouts, or you might find them becoming a boss monster later.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm having a good time taking it slow and enjoying the quest text this run through! The early game is surprisingly brutal: "We enslaved these giants to work in our mine, they revolted so we sealed them in. Now our mining effort has freed them, can you go kill all the former slaves so we can mine in peace?". Also just getting breathed on by a primal means you get a death sentence :psyduck:.
Also I'm wondering if there's a keybind option in the menu, or a plugin that can make a keybind, for enabling/disabling the BGM?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's no keybind, unfortunately. As long as it isn't a cutscene you can type /bgm to toggle it on or off or /bgm [0-100] to set the entered value. Alternatively you can make a macro for /bgm and put that on a hotbar, which is what I do, but it also doesn't work during a cutscene.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
/bgm toggles the background music, you can make it a macro and stick it on a hotbar.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
In other useful chat commands that you could also toss into a macro, I recently figured out that /clearlog or /cl will clear the chat log! This is helpful when you're passing through Limsa or Ul'dah and someone's said some stuff that you super duper don't want lingering there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

junan_paalla posted:

I'm having a good time taking it slow and enjoying the quest text this run through! The early game is surprisingly brutal: "We enslaved these giants to work in our mine, they revolted so we sealed them in. Now our mining effort has freed them, can you go kill all the former slaves so we can mine in peace?". Also just getting breathed on by a primal means you get a death sentence :psyduck:.
Also I'm wondering if there's a keybind option in the menu, or a plugin that can make a keybind, for enabling/disabling the BGM?

Hans are we the baddies?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

junan_paalla posted:

There's definitely an edginess that has been toned down significantly over time. They removed some of the more explicit references to rape from the area npc dialogue in Sastasha in the latest patch.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hans are we the baddies?

ARR gets itself in a bit of muddle with this as yes, in many ways the city states of Eorzea are bad guys and the game does a surprisingly good job of depicting a pretty realistically lovely group of societies. But it has to walk that back because the game is actually about being a Hero and saving this world. Institutional problems end up being handwaved, and instead we fight bad actors who are rabble-rousing or corrupting an otherwise adequate system.

i.e. things we can hit really hard with a sword/axe/book. How do you murder Capitalism?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sassassin posted:

How do you murder Capitalism?

Raze Ul'dah, for a start.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It doesn't help that you will very quickly realize that the WoL, as written in-game, is (a just-in-case spoiler rather than anything specific) kind of a dumbass who is way too willing to offload thinking to other people in favor of Swording/Magicking More Better, to the point where it's actually addressed in-game as a problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

junan_paalla posted:

Not quite the same, but shift-ctrl-F12 toggles the master volume, and does work in cut scenes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Like Clockwork posted:

It doesn't help that you will very quickly realize that the WoL, as written in-game, is (a just-in-case spoiler rather than anything specific) kind of a dumbass who is way too willing to offload thinking to other people in favor of Swording/Magicking More Better, to the point where it's actually addressed in-game as a problem.

"WoL, this is intervention. We're all worried about you. Your only response these days is nodding your head or punching your open palm. You need help."

... *nod*

Selane
May 19, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

"WoL, this is intervention. We're all worried about you. Your only response these days is nodding your head or punching your open palm. You need help."

... *nod*
*taps chest*

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Strongest neck muscles.
A palm as hard as rock.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

... *nod*

/aback

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

... *nod*

/determined

"See! That's the problem!"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Like Clockwork posted:

I dunno, leave it for a bunch of post-docs work it out seems like something a famous tenured professor would do, too --- and this might actually be EW spoilers --- I guess EW makes a Sharalayan origin explicitly non-cannon

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OddObserver posted:

I dunno, leave it for a bunch of post-docs work it out seems like something a famous tenured professor would do, too --- and this might actually be EW spoilers --- I guess EW makes a Sharalayan origin explicitly non-cannon

A tenured professor in punch science would not know how to open a PDF so this tracks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Warmachine posted:

/determined

"See! That's the problem!"
/stagger

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

OddObserver posted:

I guess EW makes a Sharalayan origin explicitly non-cannon

I'm pretty sure that the WoL's canon origin is supposed to be "some podunk in Eorzea that you won't revisit," given how they seem to be a fish out of water everywhere but do seem to be explicitly Eorzean. This plays a little weird with the post-ARR non-Eorzean races, but I guess in those cases you just acclimate quickly and get enough of an Eorzean accent to confuse people?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
My favourite theory is that WoL actually has severe brain damage after all their fighting. This came to light when in Shadowbringers they asked him to recall some famous fights and he remembers Titan having wheels like a transformer and Leviathan having two heads.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My personal headcanon that almost certainly doesn't make sense is the WoL formed their own body in the aetherial sea (the character creator), then Hydaelyn sent them into the wagon/boat in the opening cutscene. The reason the WoL is so dumb, dangerous, and seemingly oblivious to danger is because they are a baby with the body of a fully grown adult.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 30, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think that the boonies in one of the first three city states is the most “correct” answer but since the WoL is written as an outsider literally anywhere you go, you can say they’re from anywhere really. Hingashi is probably the hardest to justify but also I don’t think it’s bad to ignore the minor “you ain’t from around here” comments in order to make a choice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Antivehicular posted:

I'm pretty sure that the WoL's canon origin is supposed to be "some podunk in Eorzea that you won't revisit," given how they seem to be a fish out of water everywhere but do seem to be explicitly Eorzean. This plays a little weird with the post-ARR non-Eorzean races, but I guess in those cases you just acclimate quickly and get enough of an Eorzean accent to confuse people?

"I know not what it is you desire for yourself, nor what it was that first brought you to Eorzea..."

The WoL is explicitly an immigrant to Eorzea and a foreigner wherever we go. It's basically literal that we as players have been transported from another world to that of FFXIV, which is why characters from other games will claim to recognise us in tie-in events. We played those games as well (maybe).

It's also the logic behind the worst scene in the entire game, where Cid gets his stupid goggles..

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Opioid posted:

My favourite theory is that WoL actually has severe brain damage after all their fighting. This came to light when in Shadowbringers they asked him to recall some famous fights and he remembers Titan having wheels like a transformer and Leviathan having two heads.

You can tell someone in the Hildibrand EW quests that you're surprised you can remember your own name given that you've been clapped on the head so many times. So it's certainly not impossible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How do I resize the chat window buttons, like the whole bar that says General, Battle, Event? I can't seem to do it in the HUD settings or in its Settings menu.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

How do I resize the chat window buttons, like the whole bar that says General, Battle, Event? I can't seem to do it in the HUD settings or in its Settings menu.
I have neither found a way to resize those nor make them semi-transparent, even though I can do that with every other UI feature (EXCEPT Job Gauges for some reason).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Heran Bago posted:

... *nod*

/mdance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Opioid posted:

I can never remember old fights when trials roulette dumps me into them and this is canon