Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if its the big one, they'd launch missiles at us bases in japan and as far as guam too. it would be a real dumb idea to ever push them to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
north Korea has smuggled a suitcase nuke into every major American city via submarine. they are just waiting for Kim to send the signal

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that would own

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the logistics of oil don’t work that way.

do you need to do a special chant or cast a spell or something what the gently caress are you talking about

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There’s a lot of cope in estimates of North Korea’s artillery park. It’s not my desk, but I’ve seen people say “of course most of those guns can’t possibly be maintained” or “well, we know the location of the bunkers they’d be firing from” “a vigorous air and counterbattery program would silence them in hours”.

I’m not saying they’re the best gunners in the world because I don’t know, but certainly they have the tubes and the munitions, just trying to brush it off seems shortsighted.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

There’s a lot of cope in estimates of North Korea’s artillery park. It’s not my desk, but I’ve seen people say “of course most of those guns can’t possibly be maintained” or “well, we know the location of the bunkers they’d be firing from” “a vigorous air and counterbattery program would silence them in hours”.

I’m not saying they’re the best gunners in the world because I don’t know, but certainly they have the tubes and the munitions, just trying to brush it off seems shortsighted.

In all likelihood considering what we have seen North Korea has a developed artillery industry at this point, they have been doing better economically and artillery is clearly core to their doctrine. They clearly have the tech to build shells and more barrels.

Then there is the question of air power, and I actually think the West is going to be a paper tiger here considering how much ordinance the US is going to have to dump to even the odds and the fact that clearly North Korean air defenses are improving. Also, how much is the US going to do to fight on what is now a tertiary front?

I mean at the end of the day, how economical is it going to launch strike missions in a hostile air space when the North Koreans clearly have planned very far ahead and have tons of bunkers with underground caches? In addition, does even SK have a response to when North Korea obliterate everything within 40km of the border? The North Koreans also have a bunch of heavy SPGs as well they could start inching up.

North Korea obviously is still limited by their economy and trade access but if the sanction wall came down, it may not exactly go so great for SK.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the logistics of oil don’t work that way.

You safeguard the oil fields so that separatist can get the oil to the people you want.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think you’re right, but just as North Korea has to maintain credible deterrence, the US probably needs to assure SK they have an insurmountable military advantage for their diplomatic posture to find support.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I think you’re right, but just as North Korea has to maintain credible deterrence, the US probably needs to assure SK they have an insurmountable military advantage for their diplomatic posture to find support.

I would say the issue is that the US is still being pulled in multiple directions, and in Asia, especially their advantage may not actually be there.

It really comes down to China/Russia, and the fact they still have a veto via trade. I wouldn’t be surprised if push came to shove on another front, that suddenly the North Koreans would start to get a little more perky.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

"they could only bombard seoul for a few hours tops" does not seem like a great proposition if you don't want mass civilian death lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

"they could only bombard seoul for a few hours tops" does not seem like a great proposition if you don't want mass civilian death lol

Yeah Mercenaries, had a count down timer where literally thousands of people were dying in by the second, and it wasn’t considered that weird at the time.

In Mercenaries 2, your goal is to assassinate the president of Venezuela, who was Chavez.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean the US doesn't need to have an actual military answer because as soon as they hit the bases in Japan and Guam they'll get nuked

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

I mean the US doesn't need to have an actual military answer because as soon as they hit the bases in Japan and Guam they'll get nuked

In turn, the US would have to use a significant portion of their throw-weight against a distraction, and the US would be wide open for a Russian/Chinese counter-strike. It is why it is it is a bit of a tricky issue for the US.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Aug 29, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Turtle Watch posted:

Controlling oil fields isn’t important to the logistics of owning oil?

not particularly, you have to move it. that takes either pipelines or ships/ terminals. it is stupid capital intensive and the logistics are obvious. anybody can track ships, anybody can look at sat photos on Google and see what type of a terminal is where.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol y’all really stretching “stealing”

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Borders are meaningless, only the law of the wasteland stands.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol y’all really stretching “stealing”

biden isn't going over there with a big straw and sucking it up no

modern imperialism isn't purely extractive, dipshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there's no way in hell the US has enough airframes and ordnance to silence the amount of guns the DPRK would have firing over the DMZ if the balloon ever went up. Hell, throw in the ROK military and it still wouldn't be enough

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Goast posted:

Occupying a sovereign country in order to deny resources to your adversaries is only something a bloodthirsty empire would do. And the US would never do that because by God that would violate international law!

btw please don't google Delta Crescent Energy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Goast posted:

abstract extraction

actual extraction looks like this https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/05/europe/russia-ukraine-grain-theft-cmd-intl/index.html

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What exactly is "abstract" about taking the oil and moving it to Turkey or Israel?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao that you believe this. Stick to your areas of expertise.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

lmao that you believe this. Stick to your areas of expertise.

which is the international shipment of bulk and containerized commodities.

y’all want to conflate different sides in a internal conflict having control of production with theft

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
oh so you are just a pedantic dipshit arguing definitions now

:rolleyes:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
"the us not giving a poo poo about the kurds and only protecting them so they can truck out and sell the oil instead of assad isn't technically stealing"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Yeah Mercenaries, had a count down timer where literally thousands of people were dying in by the second, and it wasn’t considered that weird at the time.

In Mercenaries 2, your goal is to assassinate the president of Venezuela, who was Chavez.

also the US are depicted as straight up villains who are only there to serve the interests of oil companies looking to privatize and steal VZ’s oil, one of the factions you work with is a Marxist guerrilla movement who pay you to kill the oil companies’ mercenaries, and the Chinese are the most honest, straightforward, and decent people in the game

also there’s a major faction of Jamaican pirates who are all Rastafarian stereotypes and get into full-on conventional battles with the Venezuelan Army

it was a weird fuckin game

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Goast posted:

"the us not giving a poo poo about the kurds and only protecting them so they can truck out and sell the oil instead of assad isn't technically stealing"

it actually makes very little difference to the market wether the Kurds or Assad get the money for it. the buyers probably aren’t even different.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it actually makes very little difference to the market wether the Kurds or Assad get the money for it. the buyers probably aren’t even different.

I feel like it matters quite a bit to the Kurds and Assad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Syria wasn't selling oil to Israel, just for starters.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Please keep posting this is funny.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

I feel like it matters quite a bit to the Kurds and Assad

yes

but that isn’t the US “stealing”. and lol all y’all pro Assad?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

all y’all pro Assad?

in this thread
we support & love
The Axis of Resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN3RaeBT1Wo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

who must go?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yes

mostly im just not yet ready to die

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and lol all y’all pro Assad?

Everyone loves a winner.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yes

Have you seen the other guys?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yes

how is it not stealing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We're denying a core resource to the use of a government which needs to rebuild from the war, so that an unrecognized autonomous zone can take it and sell it off to the state's enemies (including the enemy that deliberately attacks them) under American pressure & protection. BUT IT'S NOT STEALING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s war and we support one of the sides.

that’s the real complaint any way isn’t it? that we support the one side. one doesn’t have to dress it up and use language to frame it as something else.