Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

IIRC, Edelgard actually doesn’t attack the Alliance in SB. She seeks permission from Acheron and Gloucester to traverse their lands, and they grant it. Gloucester, at Claude’s prompting, double-crosses Edelgard midway through the campaign in Faerghus.

"Seeking permission" isn't exactly how I'd put leaning on the alliance border until the nobles turncoat out of self-preservation(or, in Acheron's case, just being The Traitor Guy). As Claude notes in GW, she's not just going to stop and go home after taking Faerghus.

Clawtopsy posted:

Please stop skipping dialogue so you can call red lady a villainous bitch

I never called her that, I just said she's an rear end in a top hat. Whether that's justified or not is a debate that has been done to death forever and I'm not interested in dredging it up for the 80th time.

I just note she tends to get Weird when it comes to the alliance.

Shinji117 posted:

Do Lions now if you're sure you're going to play all three routes, but note that the Lions route gets real bad at the end, so if you maybe are feeling a bit tired with the game I'd recommend just skipping AG and only doing Eagles. Heck, maybe just do two Eagles; they're the route with major changes depending on how you deal with Byleth.

I'm doing Lions last personally but from what I hear it sounds real dire. Which is weird because it was my favorite route in Houses, probably because it's the only one that was actually finished.

Like AM was great because it was a very personal story that involved as little of those slithery fucks at possible, why make the Hopes route entirely about them.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yinlock posted:

"Seeking permission" isn't exactly how I'd put leaning on the alliance border until the nobles turncoat out of self-preservation(or, in Acheron's case, just being The Traitor Guy). As Claude notes in GW, she's not just going to stop and go home after taking Faerghus.

I mean that's Claude's opinion and his entire arc in GW is about how he's being too shady and how he gets smacked down for instinctively going for the 'backstab' option as a first resort. And it is interesting that at no point on any of the routes does Edelgard break her pact with the Alliance once they make it, but Claude does to varying degrees on both GW and SB (Byleth dead version).

Claude is more projecting his own issues out there because he knows what he would do in that scenario and his biggest flaw has always been assuming everyone else is a cynical bastard deep down. You see it back in Houses as well with Hilda and some of the other Deer on non-Deer routes where he genuinely doesn't seem to understand why they would fight and die for him if you kill them. Ditto with how quickly he accepts people defecting or encourages it in Lorenz's case on SB.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 30, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Yinlock posted:

I never called her that, I just said she's an rear end in a top hat. Whether that's justified or not is a debate that has been done to death forever and I'm not interested in dredging it up for the 80th time.

I'm doing Lions last personally but from what I hear it sounds real dire. Which is weird because it was my favorite route in Houses, probably because it's the only one that was actually finished.

Like AM was great because it was a very personal story that involved as little of those slithery fucks at possible, why make the Hopes route entirely about them.

I liked AM the least (granted I did not play SS), because it was so divorced from TWSITD. They're the real story of the game and I just can't get it up for a bad mental illness stereotype and the Divine Right of Kings. I like Dimitri sometimes but I really hate how all of the other lions, even Felix, just go along with all of Dimitri's worst impulses and ideas until he finally snaps out of being crazy.

I didn't hate AG because it actually dealt with TWSITD and Dimitri's issues are handled much better in my opinion. What I didn't like is that some characters felt weird compared to their 3H characterization and there's a really really dumb bullshit plotpoint in that route re: Edelgard

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Yinlock posted:

You're kind of tipping your hand with all the "she's an rear end in a top hat and an absolute dick" stuff, but I'll play ball. Your initial statement was that she was the aggressor here, when she passed through Alliance lands without issue in SB. Claude waited until the bulk of the Imperial army had rushed off to save Lonato (Specifically to honor the agreement they had made to protect their new ally). Then Erwin turned coat. Please don't conflate what occurs in Scarlet Blaze with what occurs in Golden Wildfire - Unlike Three Houses, Three Hopes is fairly discordant in the routes from the offset. After the Prologue, the routes are as different as post-White Clouds. Let's see how it goes in SB:

Both acquiesce prior to the movement of troops, via letter, in advance. Hardly breathing down their necks. Edelgard makes no move to annex the Alliance in Scarlet Blaze - In fact, it would have been quite reasonable for her to commence a campaign against Claude after rescuing Count Bergliez from his ploy. Instead, she opts to withdraw. Her fight isn't with the Alliance, it's with the Church and the Kingdom. In fact, she offers no more hostile action against them, and honors the treaty at the bridge for the rest of the game - Even if Claude doesn't always. She even gives up on her campaign to drive her forces back to help protect the Alliance/Adrestia border when TWSitD resurface, potentially saving Leonie's life in the process.

I get that you don't like Edelgard, but Scarlet Blaze isn't Golden Wildfire. Things happen differently, and Edelgard is not, in actuality, being a dick about Claude's ploy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Let's just drop it. I must restate that I am really not interested in dredging this argument up again, we both know exactly where it's going to end up.

Zore posted:

I mean that's Claude's opinion and his entire arc in GW is about how he's being too shady and how he gets smacked down for instinctively going for the 'backstab' option as a first resort. And it is interesting that at no point on any of the routes does Edelgard break her pact with the Alliance once they make it, but Claude does to varying degrees on both GW and SB (Byleth dead version).

Claude is more projecting his own issues out there because he knows what he would do in that scenario and his biggest flaw has always been assuming everyone else is a cynical bastard deep down. You see it back in Houses as well with Hilda and some of the other Deer on non-Deer routes where he genuinely doesn't seem to understand why they would fight and die for him if you kill them. Ditto with how quickly he accepts people defecting or encourages it in Lorenz's case on SB.

Tbf given how Houses goes his fears aren't exactly baseless, but yeah Edelgard giving diplomacy a shot is probably the biggest change of all. How the pact ends up kind of depends on the other armies' response to GW's ending, which of course we never get because every ending is just Strong Bad suddenly yelling "It's over!!!!"

Claude starts doing the backstab dance because the Federation is still a massive underdog and will be easily swallowed up by the Empire if it comes down to it, though whether Edelgard intends to do this post-pact is unclear. His flaw is more that he's secrective to the point of stupidity and and tries to decide everything by himself, which yeah led to some paranoia and almost getting everyone killed multiple times until Judith and Shez yelled at him.

Though on a personal level, I'm way too densensitized to Randolph Death from playing through all 4 Houses routes so it was hard to care about him and being able to murder Catherine aka one of the worst people in Fodlan is a fair trade

I did feel bad about Fleche though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 30, 2022

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Let's just drop it. I must restate that I am really not interested in dredging this argument up again, we both know exactly where it's going to end up.

Okay, but you must surely realize by kicking in the door and declaring a character an absolute dick who made you feel like an rear end in a top hat in the rear end in a top hat route in the most controversial Fire Emblem Game, you sort of asked for this conversation? Like. Bruh. If you didn’t want this, you should have not posted your spicy take. It’s like whining that the drink was too alcoholic when you ordered a pint of pure bottom shelf vodka.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't understand this deeply personal need to stan for a fictional character and I don't think the fictional character in question is a meaningful stand in for the real world political value system you seem to be reading into them.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay, but you must surely realize by kicking in the door and declaring a character an absolute dick who made you feel like an rear end in a top hat in the rear end in a top hat route in the most controversial Fire Emblem Game, you sort of asked for this conversation? Like. Bruh. If you didn’t want this, you should have not posted your spicy take. It’s like whining that the drink was too alcoholic when you ordered a pint of pure bottom shelf vodka.

Cmon chill out. This isn't debate club. I do not wish to return to the dark days of 2019 discourse in this thread.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Cmon chill out. This isn't debate club. I do not wish to return to the dark days of 2019 discourse in this thread.

gently caress that edelgard did nothing wrong, dimitri is a bastard man, i wanna kiss claude

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I get that, but if I opened a post with Claude is an rear end in a top hat conniving cuntmongling dicklord and I hate him, how hosed is his route? then went “wow, I know the way this discussion goes. Looks like you guys have some growing up to do.” and I got pushback I wouldn’t be surprised

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
keep debating. the energy will fuel the creation of "FIRE EMBLEM THREE HOUSES: THREE COMBOS" the new fighting game from Arc System

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

keep debating. the energy will fuel the creation of "FIRE EMBLEM THREE HOUSES: THREE COMBOS" the new fighting game from Arc System

I'd play anything from ArcSys.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm going insane waiting for the inevitable DLC to be announced. I need to plan my life here! Can't risk burning out before we get actual endings beachwear outfits!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tired Moritz posted:

Well if they’re not making Persona 5 Arena they might as well make something else I’d enjoy.

Marianne’s super would be summoning a horse to kick people in the face

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't understand this deeply personal need to stan for a fictional character and I don't think the fictional character in question is a meaningful stand in for the real world political value system you seem to be reading into them.

i had foolishly assumed that they had gotten it out of their system in the last 3 years, now my hubris has doomed us all

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm going insane waiting for the inevitable DLC to be announced. I need to plan my life here! Can't risk burning out before we get actual endings beachwear outfits!

I'm hoping for the Hero class, just because Holst is really obviously meant to be one going by his character design and special.

e: like he basically makes a ragnell out of the sheer force of his butt-chin and does the old merc crit with it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 31, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Epi Lepi posted:

gently caress that edelgard did nothing wrong, dimitri is a bastard man, i wanna support whoever wants to kiss claude

:hmmyes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

on an entirely different note i laughed when i got to the end of GW and met the great count varley and he was just a complete simpering dipshit

like i was expecting some manner of irredeemable piece of poo poo but not that exact flavour

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

That was after a year or however long the game was of constant assassination attempts reducing him to that. Hubert clearly enjoys ironic punishments too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eimi posted:

That was after a year or however long the game was of constant assassination attempts reducing him to that. Hubert clearly enjoys ironic punishments too.

But he’s like that in the other routes where you meet him right at the beginning too. He’s just so inept and sniveling and meek I couldn’t see him abusing a pet hamster much less his daughter against his wife’s wishes. He’s the only member of the dad/brother squad who didn’t match how he was described in houses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

galagazombie posted:

But he’s like that in the other routes where you meet him right at the beginning too. He’s just so inept and sniveling and meek I couldn’t see him abusing a pet hamster much less his daughter against his wife’s wishes. He’s the only member of the dad/brother squad who didn’t match how he was described in houses.

Eh, a dude who is inept and sniveling among people with a modicum of power who goes home and beats his helpless daughter and instills a complex in her isn't that much of a stretch tbh.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Yinlock posted:

I'm hoping for the Hero class, just because Holst is really obviously meant to be one going by his character design and special.
I assumed he was meant to be a Mortal Savant based off of his high magic stat, but he does look way more like an axe or gauntlet using class than a sword one based off of his design. It was pretty weird how 3 Houses didn't have a single character with Hero as their "canon" class.

I've been powering through the last few maps trying to get to the end of GW. I think the game feels boring to me partly because I'm not really engaging with the optional combat mechanics like forging and battalions and actually assigning new skills and arts, but at the same time the game feels really easy even without them and the huge amount of busywork to buy and assign them in the first place makes me even less inclined to do it. Idk if trying the game on hard mode on a different route after this would force me to engage with the mechanics more, or if the problem is just that I don't like how Warriors games play.

And on the subject of dads, I guess it's nice that Count Gloucester's a decently nuanced character and not just straight up evil, but I don't like how they made Claude's grandather's death an accident and not his fault. I think it makes Lorenz himself less interesting as a character too!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Eh, a dude who is inept and sniveling among people with a modicum of power who goes home and beats his helpless daughter and instills a complex in her isn't that much of a stretch tbh.

Yeah it's sadly somewhat accurate, albeit cartoonishly exaggerated

You can also straight-up let him die later in CB(with an amazing death quote) without failing the mission, and the only person who expresses any degree of concern is Hubert, because now he has to find another bishop(and Bernie chimes in with "My father was killed? Oh.").

They really just had Earth's greastest scientists craft the most punchable dude in the universe, and succeeded.

midnight lasagna posted:

I assumed he was meant to be a Mortal Savant based off of his high magic stat, but he does look way more like an axe or gauntlet using class than a sword one based off of his design. It was pretty weird how 3 Houses didn't have a single character with Hero as their "canon" class.

I've been powering through the last few maps trying to get to the end of GW. I think the game feels boring to me partly because I'm not really engaging with the optional combat mechanics like forging and battalions and actually assigning new skills and arts, but at the same time the game feels really easy even without them and the huge amount of busywork to buy and assign them in the first place makes me even less inclined to do it. Idk if trying the game on hard mode on a different route after this would force me to engage with the mechanics more, or if the problem is just that I don't like how Warriors games play.

And on the subject of dads, I guess it's nice that Count Gloucester's a decently nuanced character and not just straight up evil, but I don't like how they made Claude's grandather's death an accident and not his fault. I think it makes Lorenz himself less interesting as a character too!

Tbf part of that could also be Lorenz giving his dad several benefits of the doubt, we do see Gloucester just seething the entire time he talks to Claude.

Forging and batallions and stuff is more for Hard mode where you're usually like 20 levels below the enemy yeah. Even then it's not exactly difficult though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The whole Varley situation is a pretty clean masterstroke by Edelgard and Hubert. He's a sniveling, self-interested coward who would turn on Edelgard at the drop of a hat if he thought it would benefit him, but he's also the head of religious affairs and a major noble so he can't just be unpersoned without consequences. So instead they set him up as Southern Church bishop - a position that very clearly makes sense to give him since he is the religion minster after all - and then set him up in GM as the new head of the faith once they topple Rhea. So now he's absolutely stuck doing whatever the hell Edelgard tells him to do because every other faction in Fodlan loving hates him and wants him dead to the point that he's fending off regular assassination attempts. With only a few moves a potential traitor has been boxed in to becoming a 100% loyal puppet.

Honestly it's the kind of thing that made me really appreciate Hopes' story: the politicking that was missing from Houses to back up claims like Edelgard and Hubert being genius administrators who'd reformed the Empire in half a decade offscreen. It also contrasts nicely with Claude's more tactically-minded "scheming" and Dimitri's "We deal with the western lords by purging every last one of their houses because that's what traitorous poo poo stains deserve."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

The whole Varley situation is a pretty clean masterstroke by Edelgard and Hubert. He's a sniveling, self-interested coward who would turn on Edelgard at the drop of a hat if he thought it would benefit him, but he's also the head of religious affairs and a major noble so he can't just be unpersoned without consequences. So instead they set him up as Southern Church bishop - a position that very clearly makes sense to give him since he is the religion minster after all - and then set him up in GM as the new head of the faith once they topple Rhea. So now he's absolutely stuck doing whatever the hell Edelgard tells him to do because every other faction in Fodlan loving hates him and wants him dead to the point that he's fending off regular assassination attempts. With only a few moves a potential traitor has been boxed in to becoming a 100% loyal puppet.

Honestly it's the kind of thing that made me really appreciate Hopes' story: the politicking that was missing from Houses to back up claims like Edelgard and Hubert being genius administrators who'd reformed the Empire in half a decade offscreen. It also contrasts nicely with Claude's more tactically-minded "scheming" and Dimitri's "We deal with the western lords by purging every last one of their houses because that's what traitorous poo poo stains deserve."

I'm not sure if he would actually turn on her, he's very pathetically subservient to anyone he feels has more authority than him, but his combination of cockroach survivability and the fact that absolutely nobody, commoners or nobles, would miss him if he does bite it makes him a perfect fit for the job nonetheless

I agree that the bigger focus on political nitty-gritty is Hopes' main strength

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 1, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

You can also straight-up let him die later in CB(with an amazing death quote) without failing the mission, and the only person who expresses any degree of concern is Hubert, because now he has to find another bishop(and Bernie chimes in with "My father was killed? Oh.").
you can also go save him from death with bernadetta herself which, tbh, i think is a power move and a much more satisfying outcome (they don't at all play it off as "oh dad i guess i don't hate you that much" at all either)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sydin posted:

Its even better than that, the assassination attempts from the central Church happen before Edelgard declares war, giving her a nice clean Cassus Belli to declare "gently caress these guys" over. The Southern Church's reformation was a partially a means to make sure that the religious contingent in the empire wouldn't have any problems with reforms and partially a slap in the face to Church of Seiros legitimacy, baiting them into action and Rhea (or Seteth, he's pro purging heretics) took it hook, line and sinker.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

you can also go save him from death with bernadetta herself which, tbh, i think is a power move and a much more satisfying outcome (they don't at all play it off as "oh dad i guess i don't hate you that much" at all either)

imo it's more satisfying if he just doesn't exist anymore.

also the death quote is incredible, he waxes poetic about his own brilliance and his one regret is that he wasn't corrupt enough. goodnight sweet prince

e: whoever voiced him was just going fuckin' ham on being the world's most hateable dickhead 24/7 and it rules

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 2, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was finally able to start playing this game since I finished the Ashen Wolves DLC (and Xenoblade Chronicles 3) and I love how they shoved half the plot of Three Houses into the Prologue of this game. It seems like a good choice to make them all adults pretty much immediately.

Game seems really easy so far on Normal. I’ve only played the Prologue, though. Does it get harder? It seems like I can shred officers’ HP without even having to use a weak point strike.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Normal difficulty is basically 'mash buttons to win', there's some objective/rank-based difficulty at times- how do I kill this escaping enemy before they leave the map, what order do I tackle objectives to S-rank my KOs without running out of time- but you're not likely to get anyone killed unless you're seriously underlevelled or running low-defense mages into a pack of gauntlet users.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The prologue is fixed on some super easy difficulty, so definitely try regular missions before switching to hard. But yes, normal is pretty easy in general.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cloacamazing! posted:

The prologue is fixed on some super easy difficulty, so definitely try regular missions before switching to hard. But yes, normal is pretty easy in general.

That makes sense. Normal is fine so far. I haven’t finished chapter 4 yet, or whichever one is right after the prologue. Are you able to replay missions after clearing chapters? I am on the fence about replaying missions to get S ranks, I like rotating my characters but I also don’t want to burn out from grinding too much. It would be easier just to come back later and steamroll the levels.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yeah, you unlock that right after Chapter 4 I think.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if the s rank reward for a given mission was just a stat booster or something and i didn't get it, i wasn't very fussed about going back. but there are some with weapons or battalions at stake which are def worth it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wound up finally picking this game up as something new to play while my home internet is still knocked out from the hurricane. I've just made it to the timeskip. Thoughts so far:

1. This game is, uh, a lot. There's multiple submenus of abilities and powers in combat, every character has three innate abilities, you can recruit adjutants and every character has combat arts and you have to give orders on an RTS map and you can deploy multiple characters out of a larger cast all with unique perks and abilities and and and and it's all while there's also a fast-paced hack'n'slash you need to be doing. This is the first game of this type that I've ever played, and I feel badly overwhelmed.

2. I desperately wish for a training mode or free explore thing to let me get to grips with actually playing this game, without a ticking clock the game grades me on. Also to play around with the different characters and weapons and what all this nonsense actually does.

3. I didn't know that picking 'slow and steady' at game start meant the gameplay would still be manic but now it's randomly interrupted by people leveling up.

4. Shez mostly looks fine, but the camera constantly perching up above characters to look down into Shez's cleavage is getting really obnoxious. I swapped her back into her Academy outfit just to put a stop to that particular nonsense.

5. The story's mostly been fine, it's been fun enough seeing events play out differently, but I feel like things went off the rails really goddamn fast. The fourth level was civil war in Faerghus and killing Dimitri's uncle.

6. Azure Gleam immediately positioning Bernie's dad as Public Enemy #1 at the start of the post-timeskip made me laugh, and it's for sensible reasons to boot.

7. I've been taking a liking to Ingrid so far. Her freezing enemies she launches with the light-light-light-heavy combo gives her a lot of useful crowd control.

Overall, mixed feelings so far, with most of my issues stemming from what I feel is this game expecting me to already be familiar with this genre and having no sense of pacing for someone who's new to this kind of hack'n'slasher.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Cythereal posted:

2. I desperately wish for a training mode or free explore thing to let me get to grips with actually playing this game, without a ticking clock the game grades me on. Also to play around with the different characters and weapons and what all this nonsense actually does.

I don't remember when the Training Grounds unlocks, but it does have a Mock Battle option to try out characters. You'll also be able to replay levels, so don't worry too much about your rank. You can always get a better rank later.

Cythereal posted:

3. I didn't know that picking 'slow and steady' at game start meant the gameplay would still be manic but now it's randomly interrupted by people leveling up.

That choice just picks a few settings to use in the options menu. You can turn off the midfight level-up screens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The game has A Lot of mechanics introduced very rapidly, which on top of the frenetic introduction of a Musou is definitely overwhelming, but each of them individually is very simple, and the overall structure is forgiving. You'll get the hang of it. You might find it helpful to take notes.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I finally beat Scarlet Blaze after starting it, getting bored, then randomly coming back a month later and really enjoying it. As a first Warriors game it does feel like it throws a ton at you, but I definitely felt a little fatigue toward the end. Camp stuff coulda just been one menu, other things streamlined, etc. And people were right about it just.....abruptly ending. Still had fun spending more time with the characters though. I hope there's story DLC or an added endless mode like the other Switch Warriors games (right?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bongo Bill posted:

The game has A Lot of mechanics introduced very rapidly, which on top of the frenetic introduction of a Musou is definitely overwhelming, but each of them individually is very simple, and the overall structure is forgiving. You'll get the hang of it. You might find it helpful to take notes.

A manual would have been nice.

Genovera posted:

I don't remember when the Training Grounds unlocks, but it does have a Mock Battle option to try out characters. You'll also be able to replay levels, so don't worry too much about your rank. You can always get a better rank later.

Good to know! The time clock grading makes me want to rush through things instead of experimenting with all my different tools. I don't think I've used a combat art yet.

quote:

That choice just picks a few settings to use in the options menu. You can turn off the midfight level-up screens.

Handy, thanks!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, how does reclassing work in this game? I'm a bit confused by the class trees and star system and I'm not sure what level I need anything to be at.

Are there any particularly useful classes I should be shooting for or important pitfalls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

So, how does reclassing work in this game? I'm a bit confused by the class trees and star system and I'm not sure what level I need anything to be at.

Are there any particularly useful classes I should be shooting for or important pitfalls?

Each character get unique skills (from a pool) for each class. The biggest thing to do is fine the skills you want. Anything that reduces durability cost or just ups your damage is at a premium. Weapons matter more than stats, so even if you spend 20 levels in brawler and then end up as a mage it doesn't matter if those levels got you useful skills. While seals are limited per chapter, you have enough gold income and available seals that you aren't punished for experimenting. Otherwise like 3H brawler is pretty great, mages feel pretty mediocre until the final tier though Dark Bishop feels better to use than Gremory at least imo, every master sword class and can use magic, same with the magic knights, even if you aren't vibing with cavalry now, dark/holy knight have unique movesets that feel much better than paladin/cavalier. You can swap any time on the deployment screen.