Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well the dwarf doomtide is actually more deadly than I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Randallteal posted:

I usually don't resurrect dead elector counts (+1 legitimacy is nice but then you have to eat -3 later to confederate them so better to just keep them dead IMO) but I don't attack them either. It can take forever to confederate them all but I figure if I kill one or two the rest will get pissy and I'll end up having to get rid of all of them, and Thorgrim/Ungrim/Belegar tend to make friends with their nearby elector counts so that seems like a potential snowball situation that ends with you murdering the whole ordertide.

I disagree. They'll typically get killed again and then you can resurrect their faction again for more legitimacy. One of the easiest ways to get out of the negative, and to have a big surplus for when you do want to confederate, is to just resurrect Middenland over and over after Boris gets his poo poo pushed in by beastmen, greenskins, Festus, Norscans, etc.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i forgot gortek was voiced by BRIAN BLESSED

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
As far as loading screen hints, there are just a ton of random blurbs about manaan. Makes me wonder if they're going to do a big naval DLC with more naval combat maps, VC/Norsca rework, Cathay/HE/??? lords, etc.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s a little thing but I enjoy the massive wave of new flavor text while loading.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

i forgot gortek was voiced by BRIAN BLESSED

CA randomly pulling actors to voice characters is hilarious. I love that Be'lakor is Richard Armitage too.

"Yeah we need you to voice an extremely bitchy daemon with your best gravel voice, thanks"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kanos posted:

CA randomly pulling actors to voice characters is hilarious. I love that Be'lakor is Richard Armitage too.

"Yeah we need you to voice an extremely bitchy daemon with your best gravel voice, thanks"

nothing tops Iwan Rheon as Rakarth though. I play his campaign just for the voice. It just fits so well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I actually went to try a Rakarth campaign today because I never played him in TWW2, but I got spooked off by the requirements for his black ark ritual saying PLACEHOLDER TEXT HERE.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had success with Kugath getting past Ghorst in IE. Because, especially for early-game Nurgle, Ghorst is a problem.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kanos posted:

I actually went to try a Rakarth campaign today because I never played him in TWW2, but I got spooked off by the requirements for his black ark ritual saying PLACEHOLDER TEXT HERE.

it says that for every Dark Elf campaign, as well as in some other places, the button still works.

Dramicus posted:

Has anyone had success with Kugath getting past Ghorst in IE. Because, especially for early-game Nurgle, Ghorst is a problem.

Yeah I did a Kugath campaign the other day, I had to restart it twice (on VH) because of Ghorst. Wipe out the lizardmen in 5-6 turns (this part is trivial) and then you just have to go at him with what you have. You should have some decent units and a few levels on Kugath/the hero you start with. If you don't kill his faction by turn 15ish he'll get too strong. Before that point you're likely only facing Ghorst and maybe one other trash stack of mostly zombies. You can win if you fight manually, autoresolve won't favor you, it's a slog though. Your front lines will basically mash into each other forever, so it's about your spell casters and more elite units killing Ghorst faster than his zombies can break your demons. Once you beat his armies you need to take his settlements ASAP.

The other option is you can just ignore him and hope he doesn't declare on you while you sail around to fight ogres.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 30, 2022

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Kanos posted:

I did a playthrough as him earlier and it does unlock, though I don't know what I did to cause it.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Dramicus posted:

Divide and conqueror. You have a lot more mass on your side if you grab some tanky bois, the beast of nurgle and frogs can be really good for this. Also, get Ku'gath in there with his mortis effect. Also, fish for mortis effect items if you can. If you can get them to blob, blow them up. The AI is dumb as poo poo at using Ghorst effectively, so don't let them. Spread them out so he can't be healing them all - they don't get Ravenous Horde or w/e it is until he is pretty high level, so any that are out of his AoE are easy as poo poo to put down. Additionally, try and get him to attack your settlements if possible with a lord caster in there. Doesn't need an army, just the lord, maybe a hero. Your towers will DESTROY his forces. That's how I ended up defeating his main stack my first time, he attacked a minor I baited him to with a Lord recruiting in and ended up just curb stomping him in the actual settlement fight.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Yeah, there are so many lords to play I can wait a week or five for a campaign that's rough around the edges right now. I hope the slave mechanic gets a little more nuance too.

Setting the AI aside, I'm a little frustrated that every hard campaign got nerfed. Every Chaos-aligned faction is overpowered as hell now, Skarsnik, Belegar, Imrik, Rakarth, Nakai, Arkhan all got much easier start positions.

Kemmler's kind of a mixed bag I guess with all of the counts changes. Upkeep bad, economy building good, bloodlines bad, permakrell good, starting province still cursed.

So, right now, the hardest campaign starts in IE are... who?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I'd say you'd want to invest heavily in Stream of corruption and rushing to finish off Ghorst before the AI gets him to level 12-15 and starts putting points in his special skills, at which point his zombies go from magic fantasy zombie threat level to modern movie virus zombie threat level.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Francis posted:

Yeah, there are so many lords to play I can wait a week or five for a campaign that's rough around the edges right now. I hope the slave mechanic gets a little more nuance too.

Setting the AI aside, I'm a little frustrated that every hard campaign got nerfed. Every Chaos-aligned faction is overpowered as hell now, Skarsnik, Belegar, Imrik, Rakarth, Nakai, Arkhan all got much easier start positions.

Kemmler's kind of a mixed bag I guess with all of the counts changes. Upkeep bad, economy building good, bloodlines bad, permakrell good, starting province still cursed.

So, right now, the hardest campaign starts in IE are... who?

I've heard settra is really hosed since mannfred and skarbrand start near him

Also ghorst starts near nurgle which is a horrific grind of zombies on nurgle troops

Khatep looks as hosed as he's ever been because of his location

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

AtomikKrab posted:

Well the dwarf doomtide is actually more deadly than I expected

Yeah, they had high-tier units and mid-level lords as well spawning even in Dwarf holds well behind the front lines. I had taken the time to prepare and raised some fresh armies but took a lot of losses. It was always fun mowing down hordes of enemies with 3 organ guns. It wasn't so much fun when the spawned stacks made me have to go after 3 organ guns instead.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

Also ghorst starts near nurgle which is a horrific grind of zombies on nurgle troops

Khatep looks as hosed as he's ever been because of his location

Y'know, I've just arrived back in Naggaroth as Lokhir, and Khatep is doing OK. Got his little desert province on the Western map edge, seems stable compared to minor faction neighbours, Taurox has been eliminated. Grombrindal doing alright as well, has his whole province.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dramicus posted:

I haven't Nurged yet, but keep in mind IE guttered the extra price by supply lines for having multiple armies out. It's still there, but much less oppressive. Get another lord and enough of a back up squad and, if nothing else, auto resolve will fall in your favor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

I haven't Nurged yet, but keep in mind IE guttered the extra price by supply lines for having multiple armies out. It's still there, but much less oppressive. Get another lord and enough of a back up squad and, if nothing else, auto resolve will fall in your favor.

Thing is Nurgle cant really do that due to how their recruitment works. They get more units on a turn-based cycle. So you can find yourself in a situation early game where you have money to support more armies, but you just don't have the units to recruit.

A mid or late game Nurgle could easily win the attrition war against Ghorst, especially since Nurgle will have an enormous amount of healing on top of having flat-out better units. But early game Nurgle doesn't have any healing yet and their unit pool is pretty shallow whereas Ghorst can recruit like 5 stacks of buffed zombies out of the gate with the undead healing spells.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As funny as Ghorst is, that's something that needs a notable nerf ASAP. Like, after the initial amusement of it even playing him is boring because it's just SO (pardon the pun) braindead. You get a blob of zombies, stick a Mortus Engine and Corpse Cart (Unholy Lodestone) in the middle, and beat basically anything by just sitting there doing nothing. Even ignoring Ghorst's stack that's what all my armies are, and I have basically zero concern about any of them. Making zombies a viable choice is one thing; making it so a stack of super elite anti-infantry units, or massive AoE spells/effects, accomplishes effectively nothing against zombies is way, WAY too much.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

This game good now? I been playing tons of total warhammer 2 waiting for the complaints to die down on 3 but it seems like everyone is digging IE?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Game good, play IE.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've got no idea what I'm doing as skarbrand. Everyone but Queek wants to fight so I'm just fighting everyone and getting skulls. Haven't expanded at all but now everyone's been partying in my one region for so long (like 60 turns) my home crew of 2 Lords and 4 heroes with a couple of RORs are all like level 15 and Skarbrand is just sacking like his life depends on it to pay my 3000 upkeep deficit. That said I've got like 30k in the bank and we are about to break out so I think the fun is only going to keep rolling.

E: on rereading this maybe I'm playing khorne perfectly

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 30, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Game good, play IE.

Based on this nuanced argument, I think I'm gonna buy it. Thank you sir.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

vaginite posted:

This game good now? I been playing tons of total warhammer 2 waiting for the complaints to die down on 3 but it seems like everyone is digging IE?

Games in a good place right now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my favorite campaign recently is actually Eltharion. It is very hectic but I think he has more diverse opponents than just about anyone.

In the badlands you fight Wurrzag, Malagor, and Skarbrand basically right off the bat. Skrag, Ikit Claw, Queek, and Aranessa are strong possibilities as well, and there are more generic greenskins and undead too. There are tomb kings and dwarfs in the area too obviously, although they tend to like you because of all the baddies you're killing. Back home on Ulthuan, your army there will clear out all the orcs, then have to fight N'kari, Belakor, Wulfrik, Morathi, and more generic Norscans/Dark Elves invading from the north. It's great.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 30, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Games in a good place right now.

yep message received

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Considering how many reminders there are that IE is a beta, it's like one or two patches away from being as stable and bug free as ME imo
Most of the stuff you can find is relatively minor (sans a few bugged quests), with the odd hilarious OP bug and/or interaction (the 66k HP fire mage, as an example).

I think they should tone down Malus, Vlad and Ghorst just a tad. Autoresolve constantly falls in their favor and the way they regenerate is just absolutely absurd - not everyone has access to convenient fire damage either.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Been dicking around on some of the minor settlement maps and playing with various armies. So far I can say that I really enjoy the Empire minors because they just FEEL right, and the high elf minor settlements are dope because they really play up the height advantage. There's one high elf minor map that has the main victory point on a large raised platform and you can perch your archers up there to rain hell on everything coming in at the entrances. Some neat opportunities for layered defense. (Of course, if the enemy has flyers those archers are a free lunch.)

Also, watching a Keeper of Secrets absolutely loving MULCH blocks of Empire spearmen is incredibly satisfying. They have these wide, sweeping attacks that effectively turns those poor dudes into fountains of gore. It's glorious. :allears:

Griz
May 21, 2001

Jarvisi posted:

also he doesn't start with the cat anymore so you're stuck with your one unit of tomb guard and a bunch of chariots for the entire early game

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Settra the Quite Perishable

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Anyone got a link (or can give a tl;dr) of what changes TW3 does the older races in IM? Like dwarfs or brets specifically, any mechanical changes? I'm a very simple man with my taste in races.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't know what I'm supposed to do to confederate these assholes. I'm playing as Imrik, and am comfortably strength rank 1. Kairos thoroughly trashed Teclis, he's down do one settlement, and has strength rank 121 (out of 122 surviving factions). Yet he's at -114 acceptance for confederation? With him having +102 relations with me? In fact, last turn, when he still had two settlements, he was at -110 acceptance of confederation, the "relative faction strength" opinion modifier went from -10 to -14?? And threatening him didn't do anything, neither last turn nor this turn.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Griz posted:

also he doesn't start with the cat anymore so you're stuck with your one unit of tomb guard and a bunch of chariots for the entire early game

This is not a real problem tbh. I played Settra on Very Hard and it’s one of the easiest campaigns I’ve played in Immortal Empires. Mannfred dies like a chump. VC tier 1-2 trade like garbage against what is now the new Tomb King tier 1-2 with the economy updates. Skarbrand dies effortlessly to Net of Amyntok and massed skeleton/ushabti archers.

The Tomb King economic and military curve is smooth as loving butter. You won’t even notice the loss of dangerkitty.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Serephina posted:

Anyone got a link (or can give a tl;dr) of what changes TW3 does the older races in IM? Like dwarfs or brets specifically, any mechanical changes? I'm a very simple man with my taste in races.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-update-200/
These are the patch notes, they wrote a little blurb for every race as to the philosophy behind the things that are changed.

quote:

Having received their own update at the end of WARHAMMER II, there weren’t too many changes we wanted to make to the Dwarfs right at the launch of Immortal Empires. One notable addition is Grombrindal, who now leads his own faction of The Ancestral Throng in Naggaroth. From there, he ventures outwards on a mission of vengeance against the treacherous Malekith.

quote:

Alberic’s new starting position is on the coast of Lustria, where he’ll be looking to finally complete his long-delayed Grail Quest. His old position is now occupied by the faction of Aquitaine, who have also been added to the Bretonnian technology tree to allow for confederation.

We’ve also rebuilt the Chivalry mechanic using more modern frameworks, making it more robust and flexible for both us and for modders who want to tinker with the system. From a player perspective it should function in the same way, but with some slight changes; for example, traits now grant their Chivalry bonus per-turn rather than just once.

One small but notable change is to Damsels, who now have the Replenish embed action to help with Bretonnia’s historically weak replenishment.

Like others have already pointed out, Alberic's skill tree is unchanged and should probably get some skills that synergize with his starting position.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Alberic's Appoint Reeves skill is nuts.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i just saw a skaven named "aratt" :allears: i love this game

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

moonmazed posted:

i just saw a skaven named "aratt" :allears: i love this game

I saw an Ogre named "Chungus Ironhide" fighting Grimgor. Family squabbles.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Torrannor posted:

I don't know what I'm supposed to do to confederate these assholes. I'm playing as Imrik, and am comfortably strength rank 1. Kairos thoroughly trashed Teclis, he's down do one settlement, and has strength rank 121 (out of 122 surviving factions). Yet he's at -114 acceptance for confederation? With him having +102 relations with me? In fact, last turn, when he still had two settlements, he was at -110 acceptance of confederation, the "relative faction strength" opinion modifier went from -10 to -14?? And threatening him didn't do anything, neither last turn nor this turn.

Out of curiosity, what's your Reliability rating? Breaking treaties carries an absurdly long term penalty and will make pretty much any diplomacy impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also, Imrik is a jock and Teclis is a skinny nerd, did you try threatening him into confederation?