Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

will it be directed by David Lynch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZtoPo2Fpw

looks like they are ripping this straight from the most recent movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pre-order now to get Shai-Hulud as your personal mount!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Last King posted:

oh yeah baby, Age of Conan in SPAAAACE!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last King posted:

That's not a bad thing tbh. Aesthetics was one of the things the move absolutely nailed, so just straight up copying them means there is one less things they can gently caress-up in the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Honestly I'll probably check it out and play for a couple of months (and also wait a couple months after it launches to do so), Funcom's MMOs are consistently very fun for brief periods IME. After that, well....

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the problem with pvp nowadays is that there just aren't enough noble looters anymore

This is sorta unironically true. The old days of PVP were different because there was less concentration of wolves, people didn't know wtf they were doing, and the playerbase in general was less focused. Classic WoW showed both that the old style of WoW had something special for the people who like that, but also that the playerbase has changed so much that it's a different game just because of it. Raiding was different, the AH was different, and PVP was way different. In Classic people were much more dedicated to the PVP grind and getting as much honor as they could and were much better at fighting too. The modern MMO player attacks MMOs like they're a job rather than a digital world/lifestyle.

Modern and future games just don't have the luxury of a playerbase that will mostly just wander around figuring stuff out slowly like the old days. PVP is going to be vicious and widespread from the jump if it's worth doing so you need to be on top of it as a dev from the jump too. Plus there's plenty of other games to go play if you don't get it right, there's no captive audience where it's your game or no game anymore.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Phigs posted:

Modern and future games just don't have the luxury of a playerbase that will mostly just wander around figuring stuff out slowly like the old days.
This is why there will never be a good MMO again by the standards of old MMOs that could have only existed in their time.

The way people work is the ultimate undoing of the genre. That and the way studios work, trying to make a tightly controlled product with a predictable content pipeline. And the way RMT companies work. And the way modern monetization works.

I strongly suspect any sufficiently good MMO could be released as either a lobby game or with minecraft's client:server model aimed at a far smaller player base. I submit minecraft, ARPGs, end of wrath onward WoW, Lost Ark, and the elder scrolls as proof of my claim. I'm actually not even sure why no developer has tried to create "the good parts of MMOs: an 8hr-single player length odyssey that can be played solo or with up to 19 other people" with this model. Think more board game-like, roguelike-restart design than rat on a treadmill.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 29, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phigs posted:

This is sorta unironically true. The old days of PVP were different because there was less concentration of wolves, people didn't know wtf they were doing, and the playerbase in general was less focused. Classic WoW showed both that the old style of WoW had something special for the people who like that, but also that the playerbase has changed so much that it's a different game just because of it. Raiding was different, the AH was different, and PVP was way different. In Classic people were much more dedicated to the PVP grind and getting as much honor as they could and were much better at fighting too. The modern MMO player attacks MMOs like they're a job rather than a digital world/lifestyle.

Modern and future games just don't have the luxury of a playerbase that will mostly just wander around figuring stuff out slowly like the old days. PVP is going to be vicious and widespread from the jump if it's worth doing so you need to be on top of it as a dev from the jump too. Plus there's plenty of other games to go play if you don't get it right, there's no captive audience where it's your game or no game anymore.
100% agree. Also, the way players engage with games has completely changed in the last 10 years. With Twitch streaming, Youtube videos on how to get good, and the move to games as services, it really seems like there are no more casual gamers any more.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On the contrary, there are more casual gamers than ever, it's just that the definition of a casual gamer has changed.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You also have to understand that Classic WoW is in no way, shape or form Vanilla WoW, and playing Classic does absolutely nothing to recreate Vanilla. Vanilla was a worldwide cultural phenomenon, everyone was playing the drat thing. People who never played any PC game before, people who never played any PC game since.

Classic is mostly, though not exclusively, played by the sweatiest the modern WoW community has to offer. In broad terms it is demographically the polar opposite of what Vanilla was.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Last King posted:

What the hell he gonna do with those two claw hammers!?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ride the Worm.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

1glitch0 posted:

What the hell he gonna do with those two claw hammers!?

In a survival mmo? Build a workbench.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

You also have to understand that Classic WoW is in no way, shape or form Vanilla WoW, and playing Classic does absolutely nothing to recreate Vanilla. Vanilla was a worldwide cultural phenomenon, everyone was playing the drat thing. People who never played any PC game before, people who never played any PC game since.

Classic is mostly, though not exclusively, played by the sweatiest the modern WoW community has to offer. In broad terms it is demographically the polar opposite of what Vanilla was.

there were plenty of curious wide-eyed amateurs playing when I tried it close to launch, probably because of the word of mouth that the cost of admission was a sub and you didnt need to pay anything more than that.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

there were plenty of curious wide-eyed amateurs playing when I tried it close to launch, probably because of the word of mouth that the cost of admission was a sub and you didnt need to pay anything more than that.

If they got to 60 the horrible grouping experience probably drove them away though. Based on that experience only the sweatiest hit 60 or at least stayed around after 60.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Classic WoW was pretty different from vanilla because people had 15+ years or whatever of knowledge from private servers and theorycrafting so practically nobody engaged with the game the same way they did with Vanilla. You didn't have people running weird frankenstein builds or doing unconventional things, everything was down to a science of what was optimal in a way that was not actually present in any real form during the actual release.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hadn't actually thought about it that way. I guess Vanilla WoW has something in common with pre-renaissance UO, in that they were both waves that brought in a large audience that had no idea what an MMO was.

So basically, if you want to recreate that innocent moment in time, it has to be with a new MMO that brings in like Minecraft or Fortnite numbers in its first couple months, most of whom have never played an MMO before. Even then, I suspect with modern day information sharing, such a window would be even shorter than with WoW.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Classic WoW was pretty different from vanilla because people had 15+ years or whatever of knowledge from private servers and theorycrafting so practically nobody engaged with the game the same way they did with Vanilla. You didn't have people running weird frankenstein builds or doing unconventional things, everything was down to a science of what was optimal in a way that was not actually present in any real form during the actual release.

The overall level of the average MMO player has also increased in a way that's simply impossible to recreate in the modern era without a brand new naive population. Molten Core was cleared in something like 2 days after launch on Classic because all of its "hard" mechanics were laughably simple for a population of people who'd been handling far more complex gameplay for years by that point.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DaitoX posted:

If they got to 60 the horrible grouping experience probably drove them away though. Based on that experience only the sweatiest hit 60 or at least stayed around after 60.

yeah they were mostly like overwatch and diablo players so i can't imagine they stuck around for long

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I was the Shai-Hulud, would you still love me?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DaitoX posted:

i played a fair amount of vanilla and absolutely never hit 60. playing classic and not hitting 60 is the purest form of vanilla-like WoW

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Vermain posted:

The overall level of the average MMO player has also increased in a way that's simply impossible to recreate in the modern era without a brand new naive population. Molten Core was cleared in something like 2 days after launch on Classic because all of its "hard" mechanics were laughably simple for a population of people who'd been handling far more complex gameplay for years by that point.

Add to this the level of technology people were playing with at the time. Pentium 4 processors, dial up connections, 600x400 resolution. We had nights in the UBRS whelp room where players would just crash out of the game.

Today you have classic running at 4k 144FPS with a fiber connection, all displaying on a widescreen monitor where you can just see more, and react way faster.

Even the worst player today is faster, has better tech, and knows where to go for guides.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I said come in! posted:

If I was the Shai-Hulud, would you still love me?

"Daddy, the sleeper has awakened"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MMOs are like first person shooters in that they were a lot more fun when everyone was bad at them.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
I haven't played WoW seriously since Wrath, but I recently hopped aboard the FFXIV train. Have all the major MMO's at this point (GW2 and ESO included) simply adopted the "main story quest" style of leveling? Last I checked in with WoW during a free returning player trial or whatever I remember being stuck in cutscene after cutscene of Battle for Azeroth content when what I was expecting was the old-school "go to new town, pick up a dozen quests, complete quests, return to town, move on to next town" type deal. FFXIV has plenty of sidequests, but they're so useless for gaining XP that I rarely pick them up, even when the stories are more or less interesting in their own right. Is that the vibe in WoW now, too?

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

I haven't played WoW seriously since Wrath, but I recently hopped aboard the FFXIV train. Have all the major MMO's at this point (GW2 and ESO included) simply adopted the "main story quest" style of leveling? Last I checked in with WoW during a free returning player trial or whatever I remember being stuck in cutscene after cutscene of Battle for Azeroth content when what I was expecting was the old-school "go to new town, pick up a dozen quests, complete quests, return to town, move on to next town" type deal. FFXIV has plenty of sidequests, but they're so useless for gaining XP that I rarely pick them up, even when the stories are more or less interesting in their own right. Is that the vibe in WoW now, too?

Pretty much for your first character. There are still side quests you can pick up and bonus quests on the map you can just do but you follow a laid out quest path following the main quest line. At some point you pick your temporary power faction and you do their linear quest line before you can continue with the linear normal main quest line. Doing side stuff is not really needed, but often they still line up so you can do them.

For alts it is way more free-form. You can now pick which expansion you want to level in and queue for those dungeons or do the quests and actually do a good chunk of one expansion instead of flying trough all the expansions really quick and only seeing a bit of the starter zone. You can freely swap between which expansion is active at an NPC (Chromie). Then when you get to the current expansion you can choose to not follow the main quest line (but then you can also not do it at all on that character) and instead level by the side/bonus quests, world quests and dungeons.

I think in FF14 side quests were more meant to level up alt jobs, so you could still do quests on those. But with all the other ways to get exp it comes of as unneeded.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the general trend has been to move away from Christmas tree questing, yeah. I recall the FFXIV devs saying that people getting to a new town along the MSQ and unlocking a half-dozen quests that pop up on the minimap made them feel obligated to try and clear them all out, which slowed down the pacing and made people feel burnt out after doing a few hubs in a row.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
FFXIV sidequests have been traditionally garbage exp, even back in the old ARR days. Better than grinding world mobs maybe, but not the plethora of other activities you could do at the time.
They've been improved, in both reward and narrative, and even level sync now, but they're not a primary method of levelling.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Gw2 and eso both have what I would call an “unintrusive” story. You can do it if you want and it’s rewarding but it’s not forced down your throat like it can be in modern WoW and for sure is in ffxiv.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish modern Wow was still more focus on quest hubs and just doing quests and moving to the next thing.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Interesting, definitely strange to hear that WoW has shifted so much in that direction, too.

I started thinking about this because something that's stuck out to me in the FFXIV zones is how, even though the MSQ is taking me point to point to point, just like the old quest hub system, and even though most towns (at least in Heavensward and Stormblood) have several tasks to complete before the MSQ moves on from them, I still miss the feeling of riding into town and seeing lots of stuff to do.

FFXIV reverses the situation, where you follow one throughline, and then only afterwards do a bunch of new quests show up. It's a different feeling for sure, one that I do think contributes to FFXIV zones feeling kinda empty in my experience.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I said come in! posted:

I wish modern Wow was still more focus on quest hubs and just doing quests and moving to the next thing.

Yeah I liked how every area was largely a self contained story that ends roughly when it was time to move to the next area. It kept the story in a small scale for short sessions.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Zone quest structure went downhill with lich king honestly. It’s annoying to do 3 quests, go back to town, do 3 more, and have them slowly push you through the zone. Coming to the hub and having 12 quests all over the place led to more freedom in how you want to play, more organic exploration, and just felt more fun completing them all before heading back.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
By contrast, I always hated having two dozen near-identical quests of "go collect/touch/destroy 10-30 X-asses" pop up whenever you reached a new hub, and unless you were under some kind of XP boost, you'd have to do everything if you wanted to level quickly enough to transition smoothly to the next zone. And I'm guessing most other people hated it too, considering how popular dungeon leveling became.

The FFXIV model, which takes you on a tour of all the important setpieces of the zone, then lets you do a separate, optional, self-contained zone-chain later if you want to delve deeper into the local worldbuilding, worked much better for me.

Some of the sense of freedom is lost for sure, but as an OG UO grognard that freedom was lost wholesale as early as EQ, and no half measures are going to bring it back. You either quit the genre, or accept that maybe the novelty of freedom was never as mandatory as you thought it was and you can enjoy games for what they are with less of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hra Mormo posted:

The FFXIV model, which takes you on a tour of all the important setpieces of the zone, then lets you do a separate, optional, self-contained zone-chain later if you want to delve deeper into the local worldbuilding, worked much better for me.

My problem with the FFXIV model is that it brought you to all the big setpieces but you generally get there by teleporting unless you intentionally take the slower route and run there on your mount. It makes the zones feel like islands around teleport points rather than a continuous area, especially when you're at the MSQ sections where it's "okay now to the zone, now back to Sands, now to Limsa Limonsa, now BACK to Sands, then to the other part of the zone, then Ul'dah..."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LOL it happened AGAIN, Bless Unleashed is shutting down on all platforms its currently on.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I said come in! posted:

LOL it happened AGAIN, Bless Unleashed is shutting down on all platforms its currently on.

I'm sure we'll see it again soon enough

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Even though I'm a subscriber the FF14 model for world/quest progression leaves alot to be desired for me.

Outside of the endgame the 'massively multiplayer' part of the genre seems like a joke, the areas are small and cramped and largely have very little sense of exploration, and if you do delve into the sidequests they're given out in such numbers that they can't all be displayed by the game's UI at once most of the time and the stories all get jumbled together trying to work through them in the most efficient route. I was playing from GW2 Path of Fire with a friend recently and whilst I found the level of aggression in the world design a bit exasperating by the end there was actually a world to sink our teeth into and explore together, and enough danger in the content that the combat wasn't just a formality. Maybe it's too much to ask from any one game but I'd love to play something with the story quality and depth of FF14 that was meaningfully a game too, outside of the handful of trials and dungeons in the MSQ it practically plays like a single player visual novel until the endgame

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

bless this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

I said come in! posted:

I gotta give it props for offering full controller support on PC. However the combat did not feel responsive at all and it was too generic and frankly boring to play.