Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: New podcast alert :siren:

The Rest Is History just dropped a promotional episode for Empire, which is a podcast about the British East India Company plundering the Indian subcontinent (supposedly it will be a podcast about other empires as well but there are exactly two episodes out so far).

I don't know much about the subject matter so I can't unequivocally say THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED but it's a pretty good podcast so far. Good production, engaging storytelling, and it seems like they have a plan to get through the story in a fairly timely manner. It seems like a good addition to my rotation and the first two episodes flew right by.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I listened to cuba and I'm currently working my way through korea: blowback owns and im a communist now

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anything covering ancient Irish history? Ideally as early as possible, even neolithic. In Ireland for a couple weeks and would love to have something to listen to while driving.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I don't have recommendations, but a quick search of "history of Ireland" turns up the Irish history podcast, which has been running since 2013 and the early episodes seem like what you're asking about.

Can't be that bad if it's been running for ten years? But I haven't listened at all so caveat emptor

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
It’s myth and legend rather than history but Candlelit Tale is quite good.

More from a historiographical angle, like the battles of Moytura never happened (unless you want to get fully into ‘the Fir Bolg represent this ethnic group, the Tuatha Dé represent this ethnic group’ which is questionable at best) but it’s valuable for looking at how Irish scholars/antiquarians from the early medieval period through to pretty much the 18th/19th century thought about Irish history.

Just generally good fun too, both the performances of the mythic pieces and the contextual discussions around them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

twerking on the railroad posted:

I don't have recommendations, but a quick search of "history of Ireland" turns up the Irish history podcast, which has been running since 2013 and the early episodes seem like what you're asking about.

Can't be that bad if it's been running for ten years? But I haven't listened at all so caveat emptor

I've listened to some of this, I think it was recommended in this thread at some point. Crazy that it's still going, I'm like 200 episodes behind now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Perfect suggestions! The early episodes of The Irish History Podcast were exactly what I wanted, and the mythology ones are right up my alley. Thanks!

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I'm looking for history podcasts on Spain. Currently catching up with Reconquista which I'm enjoying, but I'm also interested in more modern history, from the civil war through to the end of Franco.

If there's any options in English that would be great, otherwise I'd be tempted to take a very slow run at something in Spanish if anyone has suggestions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone have good recommendations for an American Revolutionary Period / Founding Fathers type of podcast? The girlfriend has been watching Hamilton and was asking about something that covers the actual personalities involved.

Mike Duncan covers it in Revolutions, though my recollection of the series is that that season was before it really got good at all, and I'm not sure how much it covered all the Founding Fathers and their conflicts.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone have good recommendations for an American Revolutionary Period / Founding Fathers type of podcast? The girlfriend has been watching Hamilton and was asking about something that covers the actual personalities involved.

Mike Duncan covers it in Revolutions, though my recollection of the series is that that season was before it really got good at all, and I'm not sure how much it covered all the Founding Fathers and their conflicts.

The Dollop episode on Alexander Burr & Hamilton lol

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Their Benedict Arnold series is good too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: New podcast alert :siren:

The Rest Is History just dropped a promotional episode for Empire, which is a podcast about the British East India Company plundering the Indian subcontinent (supposedly it will be a podcast about other empires as well but there are exactly two episodes out so far).

I don't know much about the subject matter so I can't unequivocally say THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED but it's a pretty good podcast so far. Good production, engaging storytelling, and it seems like they have a plan to get through the story in a fairly timely manner. It seems like a good addition to my rotation and the first two episodes flew right by.

Also just swinging back to say thank you for the recommendation, Empire is absolutely wonderful.

Especially... William Dalrymple :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PittTheElder posted:

Also just swinging back to say thank you for the recommendation, Empire is absolutely wonderful.

Especially... William Dalrymple :v:

Yeah, he seems to be one of the good Brits; the one who freely and readily admits how loving horrendous the Empire was.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Thirding appreciation for the recomend, Empire is fully top tier, being stringent while also almost effortless enjoyable listening

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Oh hey I’ll have to check that out, I really enjoyed his book The Anarchy about much the same subject

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Has anyone here ever listened to the BBCs history podcast You're Dead to Me? Haven't checked it out yet, but what curious what people thought of it

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Zeniel posted:

Has anyone here ever listened to the BBCs history podcast You're Dead to Me? Haven't checked it out yet, but what curious what people thought of it

I really enjoy it and I'll binge through several episodes at a time when I want something a bit lighter. The episode about Frederick the Great with Stephen Fry that started the current season off is probably a good introduction.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/Fall_of_Civ_Pod/status/1575119989631291392

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toot

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh hell yes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bahm

Bahm bahm

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Im going to play some picross on the couch and probably take a nap to the new fall of civilizations gently caress yes what a beautiful gift for the kings birthday holiday

Ill have to listen to it properly but holy poo poo do i find his voice and the sound effects and music soothing

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm really been appreciating the History of Persian podcast recently. I feel like the usual histories run with the greek narrative only and it's good to be able to draw fresh perspectives from the more obscure non Greek sources.

History of Persia pairs really well with Oldest Stories.

As for who to root for in history, as Duncan says "History is written by the people who write"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I honestly thought it was cancelled but Mobituaries is back! It's very much a "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me panelist hosts a historical obituaries podcast for CBS" vibe but it does that very well. Under an hour, tightly edited, pretty straightforward celebrations of the subjects.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone know any good podcast about republican Rome other than History of Rome?
I finished Revolutions a few weeks back and decided to give History of Rome another listen (crazy it’s been 10 years); I know it gets better as it goes, but what I actually want to hear about in depth is the republican era and that’s the period he goes over at blazing speed and when he had noticeably way less experience.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Koramei posted:

I finished Revolutions a few weeks back and decided to give History of Rome another listen (crazy it’s been 10 years); I know it gets better as it goes, but what I actually want to hear about in depth is the republican era and that’s the period he goes over at blazing speed and when he had noticeably way less experience.

His audiobook The Storm Before The Storm is basically this, and done extremely well.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

His audiobook The Storm Before The Storm is basically this, and done extremely well.

Also I think Storm Before The Storms relevance to modern politics is a graph pointing up sharply forever.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Last episode of Revolutions dropped and contains Mike's plan for the future: a podcast about other history books with Alexis Coe.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Cockblocktopus posted:

Last episode of Revolutions dropped and contains Mike's plan for the future: a podcast about other history books with Alexis Coe.

Huh, I must have unsubscribed to the feed and completely missed all of those appendix episodes!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to figure out why I don't like the Russian Revolution episodes as much as the French. I don't know if it's much I badly understood the French revolution compared to the Russian, or if it's the centrality of Paris and the tighter narrative and setting it gives, or the sort of series of seemingly accidental events that lead into the French Revolution, but something about the French Revolutions episodes are so much more compelling to me than these Russian episodes. It's a drat shame because this is the last Revolutions Podcast and I just really haven't been feeling it - I've got ten or so episodes left, all downloaded on my phone, and I can't really be assed to finish them.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

webmeister posted:

Huh, I must have unsubscribed to the feed and completely missed all of those appendix episodes!

I only listened to the first three and tapped out because it was like being in a bad lecture class in college.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm trying to figure out why I don't like the Russian Revolution episodes as much as the French. I don't know if it's much I badly understood the French revolution compared to the Russian, or if it's the centrality of Paris and the tighter narrative and setting it gives, or the sort of series of seemingly accidental events that lead into the French Revolution, but something about the French Revolutions episodes are so much more compelling to me than these Russian episodes. It's a drat shame because this is the last Revolutions Podcast and I just really haven't been feeling it - I've got ten or so episodes left, all downloaded on my phone, and I can't really be assed to finish them.

I ended up liking Russia, but I still feel like it was a bloated mess that could and should have been cut significantly. I feel like where you are is a perfectly reasonable place to tap out, because the revolution's pretty much over at that point, though if you haven't listened to Kronstadt yet that's probably one of the better stopping points.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I tried Revolutions but it's usually a bit too in-depth and dry for my tastes. I did finish the Haitian Revolution and loved it, but it was such an interesting story. Couldn't get past like 15 episodes of the French or South American ones.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Koramei posted:

'The Partial Historians' isn't for everybody but they're certainly about Republican Rome.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kiminewt posted:

I tried Revolutions but it's usually a bit too in-depth and dry for my tastes. I did finish the Haitian Revolution and loved it, but it was such an interesting story. Couldn't get past like 15 episodes of the French or South American ones.

Duncan talked in the appendix look back episode that while he's not exactly happy about the later revolutions blowing up into so many episodes as they did, he simply doesn't see how he could have condensed something like the Russian revolution into 10 episodes. Having since finally sat down and listened to Blowback S1 (10/10, highly recommend) I... don't know if I agree with him? Like hey I'm not a historian or a podcaster so it's not my place to tell Duncan he's wrong, but Blowback condenses ~50 years of US/Iraq foreign relations including two wars into a very digestible 10 hour long episodes and manages to hit major points while also occasionally getting to stop and dwell on important details or events.

Frankly I think by the end of Revolutions Duncan is getting way too bogged down in unneeded minutia to the point where it's actually kind of difficult to keep grasp of the main through line.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the weeds. It's why I listen. I don't want jokes or quick summary resolution - I want something that goes through the material carefully and pulls out the interesting nuggets

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've been listening to Mythillogical recently I'm all about getting into the weeds. Yes, please spend 3 hours actually diving deeply into the native American myths that kinda vaguely talk about Big Foot

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sydin posted:

Frankly I think by the end of Revolutions Duncan is getting way too bogged down in unneeded minutia to the point where it's actually kind of difficult to keep grasp of the main through line.

I didn't think there was that much unneeded minutie. Like, at the time I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the differences between different types of anarchists and communists, but it was actually needed when it came to explaining all the various post war uprisings and who the various stakeholders were.

Like, it's a lot less bad than the history of England podcast spinning its wheels trying to hold off the civil war or the history of Byzantium trying to hold off 1204

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't want him to have done Russia in 10 episodes or anything, but I feel like there's a big middle ground between 10 and 100+, and even erring on the high end could have led to something leaner that would have worked. But I enjoyed the season overall so I'm not angry about it, just kind of amused at how unwieldy it became. If anything I wish England in particular had been a bit longer, because for a podcast that ended up spending so much time on the connective tissue between various revolutions, not doing anything about the Glorious Revolution is a pretty big gap between the English Civil War and the American Revolution. I think he's expressed that regret himself though, so it's not something he's unaware of.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Also the Greek revolution... But then the podcast was never billed as some flawless edifice, but more a spotlight on a number of more-or-less loosely connected events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When these things get too into a ton of specific names of successions of people involved they lose me. I either like a 10,000 ft. view of events or spending a really long time on a small group of people.