Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

reality_groove posted:

a Prince Andrew musical

If this is anything like the Diana musical I cannot wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully it's student-revue tier filth that everyone can enjoy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
C4 commissioners have seen that they're probably getting privatised out of a job and just said gently caress it, I guess. Good for them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a series of spoof childrens tv that first appeared on Youtube 11 years ago (I wasn't aware of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_HReR_McQ

C4 have commissioned a series of it. I'm not sure I can see it translating from internet cult to to mainstream TV. Too many people will give it five seconds and call it shite.

IIRC this aired right after the first episode of 10 O'Clock Live (the ghastly deliberate left-wing political comedy thing, that had like one good joke per episode) and weirded the gently caress out of everybody. None of the sequels have really hit the same mark for me - I don't think "kids show suddenly goes weird and hosed up" is a gag that really works more than once.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I recently watched 'This House Has People In It' really late at night and gave myself a proper spook so I'm willing to entertain any of this awesome youtube horror stuff.

And I have also had 'green is not a creative colour' jammed in my brain since seeing Don't Hug Me I'm Scared. Trying to paint, reach for viridian. .o(green is not a creative colour)

I'd enjoy seeing more of local58 too. Is there a word for this kind of horror? Stuff that pretends to be old recovered footage or is just deeply unsettling instead of jumpscares? I hate jumpscares.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Local58 is really good; unsettling horror is much better than jump scares. It’s a reason I love Ghostwatch, that sense of heightened reality.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ghostwatch is incredible. My favourite performance in it is non-actor Mike Smith's growing unease as he realises the situation his wife is in.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

IIRC this aired right after the first episode of 10 O'Clock Live (the ghastly deliberate left-wing political comedy thing, that had like one good joke per episode) and weirded the gently caress out of everybody. None of the sequels have really hit the same mark for me - I don't think "kids show suddenly goes weird and hosed up" is a gag that really works more than once.
At least to according to wikipedia, this has only ever been a youtube thing, and the upcoming C4 series is a new thing. However you have just made the faint memory of Phoo Action pop up in my head (which turned out to be BBC3 not C4/E4)

https://vimeo.com/658971680

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I recently watched 'This House Has People In It' really late at night and gave myself a proper spook so I'm willing to entertain any of this awesome youtube horror stuff.

And I have also had 'green is not a creative colour' jammed in my brain since seeing Don't Hug Me I'm Scared. Trying to paint, reach for viridian. .o(green is not a creative colour)

I'd enjoy seeing more of local58 too. Is there a word for this kind of horror? Stuff that pretends to be old recovered footage or is just deeply unsettling instead of jumpscares? I hate jumpscares.

It's usually called Analog Horror. Mostly found on Youtube and mostly poo poo, but there are some good ones out there.

A series I've liked recently is British Cryptids. I don't find it particularly unsettling or scary but it does try for a similar vibe. I mostly enjoy it as just some cool invented folklore about weird creatures.

I've also been recommended (but haven't really watched/listened to, so sorry if they're actually poo poo) some which are more unsettling, and which are very popular; Mandela Catalogue, Gemini Home Entertainment, and the podcast Archive 81. Archive 81 also had a netflix show earlier this year which didn't really grab me, but I've been told the podcast is better.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pablo Bluth posted:

At least to according to wikipedia, this has only ever been a youtube thing, and the upcoming C4 series is a new thing.

Wikipedia has a surprising amount to say about the show, though it was a webseries it did also get funding from channel 4 random acts and I'm fairly sure it did get broadcast on TV and I remember watching it. Unless I've missed the bit that explicitly says it was never shown on TV and some of us are experiencing the Mandela effect...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

Wikipedia has a surprising amount to say about the show, though it was a webseries it did also get funding from channel 4 random acts and I'm fairly sure it did get broadcast on TV and I remember watching it. Unless I've missed the bit that explicitly says it was never shown on TV and some of us are experiencing the Mandela effect...
Maybe that episode was shown as a one-off. However the new thing seems to be a 'proper series' that will get a 'proper' broadcast' slot.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

They actually made a Don't Hug Me I'm Scared pilot episode years ago that was shown at a few festivals and nowhere else. You can find it in fragmented cam videos from the festival on YouTube, it's pretty funny but maybe whoever commissioned it decided not to pick it up or maybe the creators weren't happy with it. Either way I'll be interested to see if they use that pilot as the premiere for the new show or if they've gone in a different direction.

I work in the UK TV industry and actually got a job on Don't Hug me I'm Scared but ended up going with a different show for more money in a more senior position, part of me wishes I'd done it now though as I love the webseries so much.

There's a great kickstarter behind the scenes of the original series that involves the creators talking about the show as if its totally different and family friendly. They did some grim hostage style videos involving the characters too.

What I like about it is that its not just 'hosed up stuff happens to kids characters', there's more going on in there about the media and meta commentary on consumption and observation. The bit at the end of the webseries with red guy working in an office and trying to express himself definitely seems like the creators working something through.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

HopperUK posted:

Ghostwatch is incredible. My favourite performance in it is non-actor Mike Smith's growing unease as he realises the situation his wife is in.

I think I've watched it twice since it was originally broadcast, and I still get intense flashbacks to what it was like watching it as a twelve year old back then

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I started watching a couple of minutes after it started, so I ended up being completely poo poo scared watching it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
a chap with learning difficulties offed himself because he was so traumatised by it :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

crispix posted:

a chap with learning difficulties offed himself because he was so traumatised by it :(

That is awful, the poor kid. But I'm not sure what responsibility the programme or the BBC bears for that one. Sure they were trying to give people a scare, but you can't just never show anything in case it gives people a jolt.

The main thing I remember upsetting me as a kid was a Paul Daniels special where it pretended he'd died during a failed escape trick and ended on him saying 'This bit's pre-recorded so all I can say is, I hope the last trick goes well tomorrow!' That poo poo me up for a day or two.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
There was a documentary about Noel Edmunds on Channel 5 over the weekend:
https://www.channel5.com/show/noel-edmonds-the-rise-fall-of-mr-saturday-night-933926af-df45-422b-a71e-fb37b1ad9945

Nothing groundbreaking, but there are some great clips of him being his weird, petty self in it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's a crime that it wasn't presented by Alan Partridge imo

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

True. I think someone mentions Partridge at some point in it.

The chapter on him in the first Partridge book was great. Especially on the audiobook where it just opens with Alan saying "Chapter XX: Edmunds..."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Victor Lewis Smith would’ve been a fun host too.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Mickolution posted:

There was a documentary about Noel Edmunds on Channel 5 over the weekend:
https://www.channel5.com/show/noel-edmonds-the-rise-fall-of-mr-saturday-night-933926af-df45-422b-a71e-fb37b1ad9945

Nothing groundbreaking, but there are some great clips of him being his weird, petty self in it.

Not sure I can convince my wife to watch a Channel 5 documentary about Noel Edmunds, are there any good clips? The bit Jon Ronson wrote about Deal or No Deal a few years back was very interesting

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogmonster posted:

Not sure I can convince my wife to watch a Channel 5 documentary about Noel Edmunds, are there any good clips? The bit Jon Ronson wrote about Deal or No Deal a few years back was very interesting

Yeah, I thought the clips were good. Like I said, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's good fun.

Jon Ronson is on it speaking about Deal or No Deal.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I used to be a regular in the DOND audience. It was filmed in Bristol and was easy for me to get to. Added with me being on shift work and available meant I could always get in.

I found it a compelling watch when you got to see all the stuff that never made it onto air.

Plus you also got to see a bit more of the legal side of things, with the official adjudicator being there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I remember I used to watch DOND at the beginning, and then I didn’t watch it again for about a year. It had changed so much, with all these weird little quirks and names and traditions that had been created in the intervening period. It felt like I’d wandered into a cult meeting, and I didn’t like the vibe at all.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
YOU'RE PLAYING THE DREAM GAME

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really hated DOND.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Bake Off is back soon! Mid September

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taear posted:

You know it's autumn when Bake Off and Strictly adverts hit the telly.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I'm in the states but we watch using the 4OD app. At some point in the last few months they started showing more than just the Coors Light commercial between shows. Last night I watched an episode of Chewing Gum and they crammed a perfect dozen commercials in at the half-way point.

Crossing my fingers that GBBO still only gets a couple Aldi and/or Bosch ads.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fischtick posted:

I'm in the states but we watch using the 4OD app. At some point in the last few months they started showing more than just the Coors Light commercial between shows. Last night I watched an episode of Chewing Gum and they crammed a perfect dozen commercials in at the half-way point.

Crossing my fingers that GBBO still only gets a couple Aldi and/or Bosch ads.

GBBO is one of the most ad-stuffed shows on British TV. A 50-60 minute episode usually runs to 90 minutes with ads on live TV.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Wow. We're usually a couple days behind when we watch on demand, and ever since they moved to 4 they've had 3-4 ad breaks that were usually like two Aldi ads in a row and a Channel 4 stinger. I wonder if I was by chance blocking an ad server previously.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what did yous think of detectorists asks old man crispix who watches up and coming new shows 10 odd years after they air

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I swear that if you watch 4oD at really antisocial late-night hours, you get far fewer ads. I always supposed that they have a quota of impressions for ads per day, and if you can watch when other viewers have chewed through them, they don't have much left to serve (except McDonalds which seems to have a bottomless bag of ads). Personally I think some of the worst offenders are where they're screening 10 minute Adult Swim shows and still put an ad break in the middle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They could be targetting ads toward specific times of day to catch the "correct" demographic. It would probably trim the marketing budget a bit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

4oD finally made me add uBlock Origin alongside my Pi-Hole. I'd put up with them to fund a public service but gently caress pausing them rather than let me watch in the background.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

crispix posted:

what did yous think of detectorists asks old man crispix who watches up and coming new shows 10 odd years after they air

Detectorists is brilliant, one of the classic shows of my lifetime IMO

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Using an ad blocker is essential these days.
Was watching the latest Adventures with Purpose (I would recommend this YT channel) a few days ago and they were bringing up the car with the body in it. So the sad music starts, everyone being sombre and respectful due to the situation, and starts an ad with fuckwits jumping around dancing smiling like joker henchmen in that way corporate marketing thinks its what young people do.
Great way to ruin the mood of the program you are watching.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Squibsy posted:

Detectorists is brilliant, one of the classic shows of my lifetime IMO

+1 very good television

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Using an ad blocker is essential these days.
Was watching the latest Adventures with Purpose (I would recommend this YT channel) a few days ago and they were bringing up the car with the body in it. So the sad music starts, everyone being sombre and respectful due to the situation, and starts an ad with fuckwits jumping around dancing smiling like joker henchmen in that way corporate marketing thinks its what young people do.
Great way to ruin the mood of the program you are watching.

Unintentional advert juxtaposition is one of the biggest sources of comedy in my cynical and miserable life tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VHJclCSLc