Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lightly bumped a t*sla with my bag on my bike's rack today, the driver honked at me for a bit and then eventually got out, acted tough until I turned around and got back in his car lol. gently caress cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. hope you got to eat some currywurst at 3am in the rain pissdrunk. germans and german government are absolute pervert freaks but berlin kicks rear end. my favorite city

yeah berlin is super cool. had my share of drunk off my rear end meals at the end of a night, also thanks to public transport running 24h during weekends, which is AMAZING holy gently caress. also still a lot of cultural life, cheap drinking and eating, it's truly like a different planet from what i'm used to.

too bad you can see gentrification eating the city from inside. there's a metastasis of glass and steel spreading throughout. i know you can't exactly expect a city that was razed to the ground to keep its historical character intact but c'mon man

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

shame about Berlin being in the Failing Republic of Germany. better bundle up and get good at the navy shower.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Free (or dirt cheap) unlimited public transit is probably like the #1 easy thing people could do on a small scale to improve the world, it just has so many benefits, but so many places are so poisoned by car culture that it's not even considered a realistic option

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Free (or dirt cheap) unlimited public transit is probably like the #1 easy thing people could do on a small scale to improve the world, it just has so many benefits, but so many places are so poisoned by car culture that it's not even considered a realistic option

also the traditional excuse is that public services need to pay for themselves and or run a profit entirely on their own
gosh cant you see how expensive it would be to connect poorsville to our downtown area? we just can't afford that right now, we are barely breaking even as it is!!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mortons stork posted:

also the traditional excuse is that public services need to pay for themselves and or run a profit entirely on their own
gosh cant you see how expensive it would be to connect poorsville to our downtown area? we just can't afford that right now, we are barely breaking even as it is!!!

yeah it's stupid as hell, I really hate the notion that "government should be run like a business", as if the military has ever turned a profit

they are public services, they are designed to serve the public not to extract revenue from the public

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, if transit needs to be run as a business and turn a profit then why don't roads?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it is important to me that the sewage system and the drinking water supply turn profits because ????

i made a big post about this a while ago in a different thread, but neoliberal society is obsessed with efficiency, which is measured purely in amount of money in and out, and cares not a bit for effectiveness, so we constantly try to make everything more efficient by cutting the amount of money we give it, even if that makes it far less effective at actually accomplishing its mission

free public transit and big investments in transit capacity and network size is extremely effective at accomplishing prosocial goals, but it is not efficient in the neoliberal sense of the word so we don't do it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

tbf jun also marked off a big explosion in gas prices so uh, it's not really a great comparison.

we need $10/gallon gas and free public transit in america at the same time to make it work

Americans will bankrupt themselves putting $10/gallon gas into their truck before they ever let themselves be seen on a train or bus

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
the neoliberal concept of efficiency is at this point, imo, just a fig leaf to justify policies that funnel money up to the top and starve everything and everyone, no matter how important to the broader cohesion of society

ever since i read david harvey's interpretation of neoliberalism as a restoration of class power it all clicks into place with that interpretation for me. there is no reason to take measures of efficiency so loving stupid and unworkable for the pursuit of public goals unless undermining those very same goals is one of your primary purposes so you can then drive the wedge of capitalism further into the uncontaminated, as yet unmonetized preserves of social, poiltical and private life.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The hassle of paying to ride is worse than the cost. You either need to carry exact change, maintain a card balance, or fiddle with something to get on the bus. It's one of those things that isn't actually a big deal but it feels tedious enough that you might not take transit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mortons stork posted:

the neoliberal concept of efficiency is at this point, imo, just a fig leaf to justify policies that funnel money up to the top and starve everything and everyone, no matter how important to the broader cohesion of society

ever since i read david harvey's interpretation of neoliberalism as a restoration of class power it all clicks into place with that interpretation for me. there is no reason to take measures of efficiency so loving stupid and unworkable for the pursuit of public goals unless undermining those very same goals is one of your primary purposes so you can then drive the wedge of capitalism further into the uncontaminated, as yet unmonetized preserves of social, poiltical and private life.

you're not wrong, but imo most people are so steeped in the ideology that they don't conceptualize it that way. that's the functional result of the approach, but a lot of people legitimately do believe in the concept of efficiency baked into neoliberalism and either don't notice or don't care or think it's a good thing that the end result is funneling money to the top while starving everybody else

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I get the impression that most cities can't fund free transit right now, so I'm fine with paying. Just make it easy. We've had free buses here for a couple of years, but the city's debating reinstating fares because they can't afford more frequent service without it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

where i live, even if public transportation were free, the layout of the city is so beyond hosed from years of horrible planning and white flight to the suburbs that it would basically take just nuking the city and starting over again to fix it. there is no more urban center anymore, everything is everywhere.

one time i took a bus from downtown to my job just as an experiment to see how it would work. Dropped me off in a literal cow pasture in a rainstorm then I had to cross on foot under the freeway for a mile or so before getting to the office.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Americans will bankrupt themselves putting $10/gallon gas into their truck before they ever let themselves be seen on a train or bus

i think its really a lot more bus hatred than trains. i hear a lot of people wishing for more light rail, more commuter rail etc, but turn their nose up at taking the bus because i guess the bus is strictly for poor people.

i guess the vision is to drive to the train station or something, very stpuid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

i think its really a lot more bus hatred than trains. i hear a lot of people wishing for more light rail, more commuter rail etc, but turn their nose up at taking the bus because i guess the bus is strictly for poor people.

that's how it works with Toronto's regional rail service, most of the stations are in the middle of giant parking lots far away from anywhere you want to actually go because the expectation is that suburbanites will drive to the parking lot to get on a train to get to work in the city

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

Also, if transit needs to be run as a business and turn a profit then why don't roads?

roads are essential for car companies to turn a profit.

in some places, certain roads are run by private corporations and are guaranteed revenue by the government.

the Turkish government guarantees an average daily toll revenue of $1.52 M for the Osmangazi Bridge for a period of 22 years under the build–operate–transfer model:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build%96operate%96transfer

quote:

Build–operate–transfer (BOT) or build–own–operate–transfer (BOOT) is a form of project delivery method, usually for large-scale infrastructure projects, wherein a private entity receives a concession from the public sector (or the private sector on rare occasions) to finance, design, construct, own, and operate a facility stated in the concession contract. The private entity will have the right to operate it for a set period of time. This enables the project proponent to recover its investment, operating and maintenance expenses in the project.

any shortfalls are to be paid from the Turkish treasury to the operating company, which is owned by Nurol Holding. among Nurol Holding’s other companies is FNSS Defense Systems, which is owned 49% by BAE Systems Inc., the American subsidiary of BAE Systems plc.

everything sucks lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

poor dirty people.

and to take the bus, you have to sit and wait at one of those bus stops, and wouldn't you know, they just let the gross, dirty, poor homeless people just...sit there??? Ugh. As if I could ever take a bus somewhere.

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

This is precisely what it is and that's SOP for the light rail line I live on. People will drive four blocks to the park and ride lot.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im going to ride the bus to t he light rail station and then ride the light rail to a basketball game this fall. its going to be fun.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this article compares the Macao Bridge to the Osmangazi Bridge

https://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/ekonomi/gecis-garantili-osmangazi-koprusu-yurttasin-cebini-yakiyor-1960325

according to the article (which quotes a right-wing opposition spokesman), the 55 km Macao Bridge tolls Chinese drivers $23 on average. the 2.7 km Osmangazi Bridge tolls Turkish drivers $54. so the per km toll is $0.41 for Macao and about $20 for Osmangazi. (furthermore, trucks carrying Chinese agricultural products get to pass the Macao bridge free of charge.)

🤡

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

roads are essential for car companies to turn a profit.

in some places, certain roads are run by private corporations and are guaranteed revenue by the government.

the Turkish government guarantees an average daily toll revenue of $1.52 M for the Osmangazi Bridge for a period of 22 years under the build–operate–transfer model:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build%96operate%96transfer

any shortfalls are to be paid from the Turkish treasury to the operating company, which is owned by Nurol Holding. among Nurol Holding’s other companies is FNSS Defense Systems, which is owned 49% by BAE Systems Inc., the American subsidiary of BAE Systems plc.

everything sucks lmao

other fun examples abound

in Ontario, the 407 Express Toll Route is a highway built by the provincial government in the 90s when it was short on money, and the financing method they came up with was to lease it to a private company as a toll road for 35 years in exchange for that company investing in the construction costs. After the 35 years the highway would revert to provincial ownership and become a free highway like all the others. a few years later, the conservative government of the province sold a 99-year lease on the highway for a one-time cash payment of $3 billion, which let them claim they had balanced the budget going into an election year and win a second consecutive majority government. 25 years later the highway is worth $30B and brings in $1.5B a year for its private owners with tolls so high that people are shocked every time they get a bill for driving on it

another fun one is Chicago selling all the city's parking meters to one of the Gulf principalities for less money than the parking meters bring in on an annual basis

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

im going to ride the bus to t he light rail station and then ride the light rail to a basketball game this fall. its going to be fun.

I mean, that's not too bad with regard to hub and spoke transit systems. You're still using the transit system.

As far as I'm concerned once I start my car the transit plan is ruined

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I get the impression that most cities can't fund free transit right now, so I'm fine with paying. Just make it easy. We've had free buses here for a couple of years, but the city's debating reinstating fares because they can't afford more frequent service without it.

The argument against free transit that I'm most sympathetic too is that most users (including the less well off) would be better served by investments in service quality and frequency. But there's certainly no reason to insist they run at a profit.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The hassle of paying to ride is worse than the cost. You either need to carry exact change, maintain a card balance, or fiddle with something to get on the bus. It's one of those things that isn't actually a big deal but it feels tedious enough that you might not take transit.

it's also a huge source of slowdown for bus systems, having each rider pay one at a time on the front of the bus and all that entails - some old lady scrounging for the last nickel, some guy who has zero balance on his transit card and can't add more to it at the moment, weird disputes and bus drivers eventually throwing up their hands and letting them pass - is so goddamn slow compared to a subway train arriving at a station and exchanging a hundred people in a few seconds.

edit- the mexico city brt system has ground-level stations where riders pay to enter before the bus arrives and it's noticeably faster than what we do here. of course making it free would be best, but having to go through this slow process and then driving one block further and doing it again suuuucks

Electro-Boogie Jack has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Aug 30, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's also a huge source of slowdown for bus systems, having each rider pay one at a time on the front of the bus and all that entails - some old lady scrounging for the last nickel, some guy who has zero balance on his transit card and can't add more to it at the moment, weird disputes and bus drivers eventually throwing up their hands and letting them pass - is so goddamn slow compared to a subway train arriving at a station and exchanging a hundred people in a few seconds.

i read recently that kansas city made transit free and not only did it boost ridership a lot and unlock the city for poor people and alleviate some strain on poor people's everyday budgets, it also made transit safer (both objectively, number of incidents went down, and subjectively, people felt safer riding) because the vast majority of safety incidents arose from people being unable to pay fares

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

vyelkin posted:

i read recently that kansas city made transit free and not only did it boost ridership a lot and unlock the city for poor people and alleviate some strain on poor people's everyday budgets, it also made transit safer (both objectively, number of incidents went down, and subjectively, people felt safer riding) because the vast majority of safety incidents arose from people being unable to pay fares

i believe it. good on kansas city

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, we had free transit for a month as a pilot program this month (cool, yay!) but the network was struggling operationally even before covid since operators were underpaid, understaffed & most bus lines have like, 30 min headways at best (boo, poo poo).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

vyelkin posted:

other fun examples abound

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

the big blue bump and little pink slump means its not just people replacing trips they had to do by car with public transportation, people are going out more for fun. going to the park going to a show maybe an icecream at the beach or the nice car park across town with the cuter wheels to put my fingers under

https://twitter.com/wessiedutoit/status/1563839487452626945

unfortunately it looks like it didn't actually decrease car usage at all

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

unfortunately it looks like it didn't actually decrease car usage at all
It's "per cent change in number of journeys to rural areas with a high level of tourism"

It's probably not surprising that making rail travel way cheaper will cause more rail travel to rural tourist areas without significantly affecting car trips to rural tourist areas

I'm not sure this is necessarily relevant to other types of routine trips

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mystes posted:

It's "per cent change in number of journeys to rural areas with a high level of tourism"

It's probably not surprising that making rail travel way cheaper will cause more rail travel to rural tourist areas without significantly affecting car trips to rural tourist areas

I'm not sure this is necessarily relevant to other types of routine trips

well my thought would be that is rail travel to rural tourists areas was cheaper, some people that might normally drive that trip will now take rail.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually since it's probably summer vacation type trips it may not even be meaningful unless you compare it to other years (there's probably seasonality)

But I wouldn't be surprised if people who were already planning to drive (to destinations that aren't easily rail accessible for them) will still drive and other people will be like "hey let's get on the train and somewhere"

It looks like the graph is mainly trying to say "look this boosted rail travel" but all I'm saying is that I just don't think this particular graph is necessary that useful to think about how cheap transit affects car trips

The real solution isn't just to make transit cheap, it's to disincentivize car ownership/use as well anyway

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Aug 30, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Old man yells at electrics

quote:

How am I going to keep them charged?

I dread having to have an electric car. Actually, I dread having to have two. My lovely wife, Lisa, will need one. Even when we are no longer going to different places, we will have to leave the house at different times. It has always been that way. If I’m up and ready to be out and about, she still has hair and makeup to deal with. If I am putting the finishing touches on a column or needing to make sure Barney doesn’t stay locked in the jail cell for the four-hundredth time, she has to leave the house right then.

And so, we take two cars to our son’s house, three miles away, or to church, just down the road.

No wonder they tell us we are running out of gas.

But I was talking about electric cars. You know they are the wave of the future. It disappoints me in a way. When I was a child, they were promising that we would all be zooming above the ground in flying vehicles by now. After all, George Jetson was born in 2022 and by the time he turned 40 they were zooming all around Orbit City.

But here we are, dodging traffic and pumping four dollar-a-gallon gas.

Now here is my problem—or perhaps fear is a better word—concerning the electric cars that they tell me I will have to drive someday. How am I going to keep them charged? I can’t deal with the stuff I have now that work on batteries and/or direct current.

I got home this week from an extended absence near the Artic Circle. Did you know that in Alaska the sun barely sets in the summertime? They make up for it in winter, though, because it stays dark all day. But I digress. When do I not?

I came home to an empty house. My better half is still away, tending to family matters. “No problem,” I thought to myself. “I’ll be fine.”

I woke up Thursday morning — two hours late, as it turned out. The power chord that I use to charge my watch and my cell phone wasn’t quite pushed in all the way and they both ran down during the night. The alarm didn’t go off. I can see a whole new line of excuses developing once we are a nation on electrically charged wheels. “Sorry, boss. Didn’t have my charger fully engaged last night. Car wouldn’t start.”

To make matters worse, apparently the power went off sometime during the night because the clock on the stove was blinking 12:00. Remember when VCRs used to do that?

When I realized the power had been off, I broke out in a cold sweat. It’s almost football season. If my electricity can go off at night, it can go off at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon. What if I am about to watch a college football game and I don’t have any electricity? I made a mental note to visit the Home Depot this week and pick up a generator.

I finally got my coffee brewed — the clock on my Mr. Coffee was discombobulated, as well-- and sat down to type my column. My laptop was dead. Had to be charged before I could use it. Lisa is in charge of my charger, and she wasn’t here. It took me a long time to locate the devise that would get my machine going again.

I decided to watch a little television while I waited. Wouldn’t you know it? The batteries on the remote control were as dead as the battery in my computer. I’m not real handy and it took me forever to figure how where to push and which way to slide the little plastic cover to the remote control. I finally accomplished that task. Needed two AAA batteries. I had one AA and two Cs. I might as well have had none.

Determined not to be foiled I put on my clothes and prepared to drive to the store and get the correct batteries for my channel changer so I could turn on my television. I had been so anxious to get in the house upon my return from Alaska that I had left the door to my car open. The battery had run down.

I did what any other 70-year-old man would do in the same situation. I sat down on the stoop and cried.

I cannot handle the electricity I use now. I dread to see what will happen when I have to add two automobiles to the current equation. Pun intended.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mystes posted:

Actually since it's probably summer vacation type trips it may not even be meaningful unless you compare it to other years (there's probably seasonality)

But I wouldn't be surprised if people who were already planning to drive (to destinations that aren't easily rail accessible for them) will still drive and other people will be like "hey let's get on the train and somewhere"

It looks like the graph is mainly trying to say "look this boosted rail travel" but all I'm saying is that I just don't think this particular graph is necessary that useful to think about how cheap transit affects car trips

The real solution isn't just to make transit cheap, it's to disincentivize car ownership/use as well anyway

if there's one thing americans love more than driving, it's bitching about how much it costs to drive.

they'll choose to drive over taking rail out of a deep seated cultural need to bitch about the cost of driving/gas

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Old man yells at electrics
It sounds like this person might be happier if they didn't have to own and maintain a car at all

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mystes posted:

It sounds like this person might be happier if they didn't have to own and maintain a car at all

i know i would be

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

His entire schtick as an opinion columnist is rose tinted glasses and folksy racism. He'd probably starve without a car because he wouldn't leave his house.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

His entire schtick as an opinion columnist is rose tinted glasses and folksy racism. He'd probably starve without a car because he wouldn't leave his house.
I assumed it was like a r/showerthoughts post or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What if I am about to watch a college football game and I don’t have any electricity? I made a mental note to visit the Home Depot this week and pick up a generator.

:laffo: