Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
$142 to grind it? Yes have them do it. Otherwise you will have that stump for decades. Verify that's the price. I thought you were going to find out it was a grand or two in which case you can definitely get it done more cheaply by finding someone who isn't an arborist. My mow and blow guy knew a guy. He spoke 0 English and the price was better in cash. Habla Español pero precios más bajos. At least in my neck of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or pay attention for when the neighbors are getting a tree removed and go talk to the grinder guy and ask what his cash rate is since they are already there. Went that route last year and got four 12” stumps removed for $100.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

slurm posted:

Those guys show up whether or not anyone actually got a new roof in my experience, they're just scammers. I always tell them I'm renting.

Oh yeah for sure, this year has been particularly bad for them.

This latest one actually was doing some work re-roofing my neighbor down the street, making it 4 houses re-roofed this summer.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Crossposting this here...

Would love some basic wiring help!

I am swapping 2 three way switches for dimmers. I have lutron dimmer switches.

The available wires in each outlet do not match, and do not match up to any of the "guides".

Outlet one has: a ground (bare copper), white, red, and black

Outlet two has: a red and two blacks

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 27, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Assuming the switches work just put the wires on the new switches the way they are connected to the old switches.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Elephanthead posted:

Assuming the switches work just put the wires on the new switches the way they are connected to the old switches.

Well, I got one working, but the other is a poo poo show I'm not touching, although I did get it grounded (with the existing grounding wire, in the bottom right, which was unattached for Reasons, probably because it was short and it was a pain in the rear end to deal with). But no idea what the gently caress is going on with this box... like twice as many wires as necessary, a bunch are capped off (and don't carry a current) but I don't want to mess with them. But the box is so small with all the wires the switch isn't fitting regardless, and I'm not removing anything!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You need to spend some time reading about how three way switches work. Once you understand the wiring you should be able to figure this out.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

StormDrain posted:

You need to spend some time reading about how three way switches work. Once you understand the wiring you should be able to figure this out.

Yea I got one of them set up - the common wire was in white - the other switch though has twice the expected wires and the new switch won’t fit, and I don’t want to mess with any of the extra wires in there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You don't need to mess with any of the other wires in there beyond making enough room for the new switch to fit by tucking them as far out of the way as you can.

If things aren't even remotely close to fitting you may need to swap the box out for a larger one.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

Yea I got one of them set up - the common wire was in white - the other switch though has twice the expected wires and the new switch won’t fit, and I don’t want to mess with any of the extra wires in there.

I'm channeling another poster for this one. I'm going to be direct and honest, I can't solve the problem from a photo and know a little bit about who you are from your posting and your skill level, and I think it's what you need to hear.

If you understand how a three way switch works, you can determine which wires need to connect to which. You can even temporarily short them to confirm. The wiring of those switches isn't more complicated than a standard three way, I've installed 5 or so in my house. The fact that you've asked alone shows you don't know how it works. Look at diagrams of various wiring, determine where the wires come and go, and you'll have the aha moment and be done.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

StormDrain posted:

I'm channeling another poster for this one. I'm going to be direct and honest, I can't solve the problem from a photo and know a little bit about who you are from your posting and your skill level, and I think it's what you need to hear.

If you understand how a three way switch works, you can determine which wires need to connect to which. You can even temporarily short them to confirm. The wiring of those switches isn't more complicated than a standard three way, I've installed 5 or so in my house. The fact that you've asked alone shows you don't know how it works. Look at diagrams of various wiring, determine where the wires come and go, and you'll have the aha moment and be done.

I am dumb and fixed this and it all works now. I should not trust my FIL. Yea the double wires are the three way switch.

baby's first wiring job, complete: two dimmers switches installed into three dimmable halo-ceiling lights.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

also it was far too hard to find basic, simple dimmer switches that: wern't some bizarre color faceplate OR didn't include a bunch of extra buttons for 'programmed' settings. just... dim the light.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

spending a few hundred dollars and many hours adjusting lighting, switches, bulbs etc makes such a huge difference for such a (relatively) small investment

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

Three-way switch wiring is one of those mind-fucks that is mentally slippery to hold on to unless you install them on a fairly regular basis. I have done it, but I can't do it now without looking it up and staring really hard at the schematic for a while.

Upgrade posted:

I am dumb and fixed this and it all works now. I should not trust my FIL. Yea the double wires are the three way switch.

baby's first wiring job, complete: two dimmers switches installed into three dimmable halo-ceiling lights.

You're not dumb, and if you can keep this concept intact in your mind for more than a week or two without doing it again, you may be brilliant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Three-way switch wiring is one of those mind-fucks that is mentally slippery to hold on to unless you install them on a fairly regular basis. I have done it, but I can't do it now without looking it up and staring really hard at the schematic for a while.

Depends on your experience I guess. I have a background in electronics and repair and at one point when I was looking up 3 way switch wiring for the who knows what time the way it was diagrammed made me see it: it's just a logic gate. It makes perfect sense now, along with 4-way, etc. and now it's stuck in my head.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

You're not dumb, and if you can keep this concept intact in your mind for more than a week or two without doing it again, you may be brilliant.

Perhaps I had it explained to me by someone who did a very good job.

This sums it up to me.

code:

---- / ==== \ ----- 

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

H110Hawk posted:

$142 to grind it? Yes have them do it. Otherwise you will have that stump for decades. Verify that's the price. I thought you were going to find out it was a grand or two in which case you can definitely get it done more cheaply by finding someone who isn't an arborist. My mow and blow guy knew a guy. He spoke 0 English and the price was better in cash. Habla Español pero precios más bajos. At least in my neck of the woods.

Turns out they’re willing to do it and another stump for $100 each. Sold.

I read conflicting reports about the woodchipe. Some people say to leave it and it will convert soon enough. Most reports say remove it asap so termites and carpenter ants don’t come after it, then use topsoil to fill the cavity and seed it from there.

The latter option seems safest. I’m not sure what to do with the chips though. Think they’d burn in my fire pit or maybe the dump would take them (they take brush anyways)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A dump that takes brush will absolutely take your chips.

The conflicting advice you're hearing has a lot to do with climate as well as how people keep their yards.

Wood chips in the northeast tend to grow fungus. Around here artillery fungus, which as it sounds shoots spores off. Those stick to siding and are a bitch to get off, so I don't "mulch" with wood chips near anything like a house. But in a bed out away from the house? Sure, why not. You idea of what looks good might be different.

You could also mix them into a compost pile and have them turn into black gold eventually, but that also depends on if you do that kind of thing and can use the compost that comes out of it and have the space for it to begin with.

So choose your own adventure, but sounds like you can get rid of them easy enough.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Had to Google artillery fungus: so that's what that stuff is on my mulch!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Turns out they’re willing to do it and another stump for $100 each. Sold.

I read conflicting reports about the woodchipe. Some people say to leave it and it will convert soon enough. Most reports say remove it asap so termites and carpenter ants don’t come after it, then use topsoil to fill the cavity and seed it from there.

The latter option seems safest. I’m not sure what to do with the chips though. Think they’d burn in my fire pit or maybe the dump would take them (they take brush anyways)?

Depending on the size of the hole you could fill it about 2/3rds with mulch and then cover with topsoil. It’ll break down eventually. If you’re a gardener, you could use the chips to fill the bottom of a raised bed before adding more organic material and soil on top. It’s called hügelkultur and is a good way to compost stuff directly in-place where you want to grow.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I did it around where I had to remove two 100-YO ash trees, and, after five years, I'm going to have to do it again, probably next spring.

I dug out the chips & spread them throughout my yard, well away from the house & garage (artillery spores are nothing to gently caress with -very hard to remove the spray) and filled in with soil.

Keep in mind that the stump may be gone, but the large roots remain; as time passes these roots will be consumed, leaving ankle-turning voids that you will periodically have to fill in. It's a pain in the rear end: I'll peel the turf back & lay topsoil, then try to compact it, water it & lay the turf back over it.

Part of the reason is I have zoysia, and it makes a mat that will cover voids until you break through them; putting topsoil right over the depression & the grass will not work in such case.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have an eggs fireplace. The back of it is in the garage. There’s a large wooden enclosure around it. Is this a relic of when it used to be wood burning? Do I need it?

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 29, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Engineer stopping by tomorrow to let us know if the wall that shouldn't/can't be a load bearing wall definitely isn't a load bearing wall. Curious what he thinks of the wonky sloped floors in that room, which are sloped because ... 110 year old house?!

Also why the gently caress will nobody work plaster. Ahhhhh!!!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Harriet Carker posted:

I have an eggs fireplace. The back of it is in the garage. There’s a large wooden enclosure around it. Is this a relic of when it used to be wood burning? Do I need it?

Your fireplace is made out of eggs?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Your fireplace is made out of eggs?

Eggs is a pretty interesting auto-correct from gas!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Harriet Carker posted:

Eggs is a pretty interesting auto-correct from gas!

The inserts are typically designed to go into an enclosure of some sort, be it a mock fireplace, a wall mount cavity, or something with proper clearance. Without it you'd run the risk of someone, or something, touching it and getting burned or catching on fire. The enclosure is absolutely not from wood fireplace days, that would have been masonry, steel, or likely both. The very large galvanized pipe going up is probably a triple wall Duravent like product. I had an Archgard fireplace at my last place and it had to be fitted into a steel enclosure. If you have a functioning gas fireplace then yes, you will need this. Otherwise someone could set laundry/broom/eggs on top of it and have a fire.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yooper posted:

The inserts are typically designed to go into an enclosure of some sort, be it a mock fireplace, a wall mount cavity, or something with proper clearance. Without it you'd run the risk of someone, or something, touching it and getting burned or catching on fire. The enclosure is absolutely not from wood fireplace days, that would have been masonry, steel, or likely both. The very large galvanized pipe going up is probably a triple wall Duravent like product. I had an Archgard fireplace at my last place and it had to be fitted into a steel enclosure. If you have a functioning gas fireplace then yes, you will need this. Otherwise someone could set laundry/broom/eggs on top of it and have a fire.

In retrospect that’s completely obvious and I’m feeling a bit silly I didn’t think of it. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

I did it around where I had to remove two 100-YO ash trees, and, after five years, I'm going to have to do it again, probably next spring.

I dug out the chips & spread them throughout my yard, well away from the house & garage (artillery spores are nothing to gently caress with -very hard to remove the spray) and filled in with soil.

Keep in mind that the stump may be gone, but the large roots remain; as time passes these roots will be consumed, leaving ankle-turning voids that you will periodically have to fill in. It's a pain in the rear end: I'll peel the turf back & lay topsoil, then try to compact it, water it & lay the turf back over it.

Part of the reason is I have zoysia, and it makes a mat that will cover voids until you break through them; putting topsoil right over the depression & the grass will not work in such case.

The guy came today while I was at work, but I was able to watch him on my security camera loving demolish those stumps with his machine in literally no time. The closest stump is about 8-10’ from my truck and 20’ from my house. I won’t be able to move the chips until Friday night or saturday. I’m hoping that will be a short enough time frame to stay away from the artillery spores attacking anything. I might move my truck away tomorrow just to be safe.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh, that'll be fine. Plenty of time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hey all -

I'm at the point where I need to get a generator. I'm thinking of going all in and getting a Generac whole home tied to my natural gas system, but it may be overkill. I really don't know much about them.

I have this cable outside my house, but it doesn't appear to have a transfer switch tied to it, so I'm assuming it's likely just poor design by the previous owner?

What would you guys recommend for a generator in a 1600 square foot single occupant home, need to keep the fridge running along with a desktop, a laptop, 3 monitors along with router/modem.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Electrical panels with handwritten labels are usually bad, this one takes the cake. "general" has got to be the worst labeling I've seen. "plug by the computer" is a close second. And "110 30a" nearly as bad.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Engineer stopped by and confirmed the wall isn’t load bearing. Was an old retired guy who spent twenty minutes talking in detail about the design of the house, the architect and the options people chose when building the homes… in 1910. Apparently all the interior walls except one are non load bearing because you had design options when constructing the homes to add/open more rooms. Also our back porch was originally a covered sleeping porch!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Electrical panels with handwritten labels are usually bad.

Genuinely curious - what’s the alternative?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I seem to have acquired some squirrels in my ceiling that I would like to not be there anymore. Anything to look out for in hiring a wildlife removal / exclusion company?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Harriet Carker posted:

Better descriptions with a label maker?
IDK what OP meant but that's what I'm going to do when I have time

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Harriet Carker posted:

In a professional setting (commercial, institutional, industrial) , it will be a typed sheet in a clear pocket holder on the back of the door.

At a home it would be a label maker. Someone who is using a label maker is more likely to label things clearly like "Northwest Bedroom" "Kitchen Island".

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I don't see anything wrong with hand written as long as it's accurate and descriptive enough. I've never seen anything but in a house...

I've also never met a label printer whose media sticks for any duration, especially something that's outside the heating/cooling envelope. At least, not anything that isn't expensive and commercial/indsutrial grade. Those will be durable, but the printers cost a poo poo-ton of money (edit: could probably find a place online that'll do it for you on good quality media, though).

What I'm really saying I guess is I wouldn't trust any home/small office label printer to hold up for more than a year in a typical electrical panel, maybe up to a few years if it's in a basement or something.

edit: Also to be sure, "accurate" and "legible" are two very, very different things.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

StormDrain posted:

In a professional setting (commercial, institutional, industrial) , it will be a typed sheet in a clear pocket holder on the back of the door.

At a home it would be a label maker. Someone who is using a label maker is more likely to label things clearly like "Northwest Bedroom" "Kitchen Island".

Our first house had unreadable and completely incorrect labels that were clearly applied by a drunk four year old. I spent an afternoon mapping out what actually went to where, labeling it in a Google spreadsheet, and then made a QR code that I taped to the box that pointed to the doc. Worked well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Upgrade posted:

Engineer stopped by and confirmed the wall isn’t load bearing. Was an old retired guy who spent twenty minutes talking in detail about the design of the house, the architect and the options people chose when building the homes… in 1910. Apparently all the interior walls except one are non load bearing because you had design options when constructing the homes to add/open more rooms. Also our back porch was originally a covered sleeping porch!
That sounds like a wonderful conversation. Sleeping porches are very cool; I'm sad they died out. "Fresh air" was a health craze for a long time, even when that fresh air was probably full of coal ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Beef Of Ages posted:

Our first house had unreadable and completely incorrect labels that were clearly applied by a drunk four year old. I spent an afternoon mapping out what actually went to where, labeling it in a Google spreadsheet, and then made a QR code that I taped to the box that pointed to the doc. Worked well.

The next owners are going to curse you when that URL no longer works.