Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Admitting/realizing something is a problem is the first step to working on every problem. It’s a good thing and I hope him and his family can get through this. Like it obviously sucks, and I’m let down by him, but facing it even after years of hiding it is purely a positive thing as long as he takes active steps to truly face it and right things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Admitting/realizing something is a problem is the first step to working on every problem. It’s a good thing and I hope him and his family can get through this. Like it obviously sucks, and I’m let down by him, but facing it even after years of hiding it is purely a positive thing as long as he takes active steps to truly face it and right things.

It's a brilliant PR move to cancel yourself like Kelly did because then the response from the public is more like this post and less "Holy poo poo what a scumbag"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How do you suppose you correct a problem without acknowledging that it's a problem?

For the record I do not like Or listen to neurosis.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Didn't this already happen with Kelly a few years back? Not the retirement part, but I thought he stepped back for music for a bit for basically the same reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

It's a brilliant PR move to cancel yourself like Kelly did because then the response from the public is more like this post and less "Holy poo poo what a scumbag"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

In the scumbag tier list "abuser who hides it" is worse than "abuser who admits it." That's not the same as "giving him props." He moved ever so slightly closer to being not poo poo by admitting to something. We can recognize that while still realizing he's an abusive scumbag until he like, actually gets better and stops being one.

Laserface posted:

For the record I do not like Or listen to neurosis.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trying to resist the temptation to buy the clothes from the Land video Matt Pike is selling. A SHIRT worn by Pike is not a piece of music memorabilia but rather a rare historical artifact.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 28, 2022

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've seen boris half a dozen times and I'm still bummed that I will miss them this time around

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

if your first reaction is “wow what a brilliant pr move” and not “what a piece of poo poo” i feel like youre telling on yourself

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kvlt! posted:

Trying to resist the temptation to buy the clothes from the Land video Matt Pike is selling. A SHIRT worn by Pike is not a piece of music memorabilia but rather a rare historical artifact.

Don’t be a coward, buy it and take a nice whiff of it when it arrives

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gio posted:

if your first reaction is “wow what a brilliant pr move” and not “what a piece of poo poo” i feel like youre telling on yourself

Why are you assuming my post was my first reaction? It's almost like there's a difference between what people think and what they post. I read the article and was like "wow what a piece of poo poo" but I don't really see the point of posting "wow what a piece of poo poo", whereas I think the PR thing is an interesting thing to share and talk about.

Maybe you post every thought that comes into your head but I don't.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kvlt! posted:

Why are you assuming my post was my first reaction? It's almost like there's a difference between what people think and what they post. I read the article and was like "wow what a piece of poo poo" but I don't really see the point of posting "wow what a piece of poo poo", whereas I think the PR thing is an interesting thing to share and talk about.

Maybe you post every thought that comes into your head but I don't.

Even goons fall into the trap of assuming everything created or posted is backed by the person posting its beliefs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gio posted:

Calling it a brilliant PR move is also basically saying he's a piece of poo poo imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gio posted:

I think you are taking it too literally

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The phrase “you’re telling on yourself” is very popular amongst people who have poor reading comprehension.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 28, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This also isnt new at all. Look at the date this was posted:

Full text:

"I have struggled with Mental Illness for most of my life. I have spent most of this time hiding it from the people around me at work and in public but my Family has suffered immeasurably from it. I recently made a decision to go off my meds because I thought I didn't need them anymore, for some reason I thought I was fine. This resulted in me abandoning my Family for a week while constantly terrorizing my wife with vicious phone calls and text messages. I don't know why I did it, I don't know how I could have come to the conclusion that I didn't need my meds but I'm here to tell you I was wrong. Meds may not be for everyone who suffers but if you've got it like I do you've got to commit to them and don't let your mind trick you into thinking that you're ok. I'm not ok. I'm far from ok, the damage I have done to my Family can't be undone and I am so sorry to my Wife and all my children for the years of torment and abuse I have put you through. You guys have somehow stood by me and continued to fight for me and be there when I came back to reality. I'm putting this out there because I'm sick and my Family doesn't deserve to have to hide my illness from the world anymore. There is no shame in having Mental Illness the shame is from hiding it from the world and forcing your loved ones to hide it for you. Please, if you are suffering out there don't be ashamed to get help, don't be ashamed to take your meds and talk to your therapist. Get in a program and do the work, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I could never say this anymore clearer then this, I love my wife and kids with all my heart, I have hurt them so much over the years and I am so deeply sorry. They are the light at the end of my tunnel and I will do anything to be standing in the light with them"

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The rest of the band posted an update on the Kelly thing

Full statement here https://www.brooklynvegan.com/neurosis-post-statement-on-scott-kelly-revealing-they-parted-ways-with-him-in-2019/

spaced ninja fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 29, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

good statement. hope we never see or hear from scott kelly again except for his obituary

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Too bad... Scott Kelly was my favorite member of Mastodon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uh, yeah I don’t think the Hail Mary to get sympathy is working out too well for him.

This is a guy who he worked with in other bands recently

-Sanford Parker

quote:

In response to Scott Kelly’s post I would like to make it crystal clear that during the active years of Corrections House and Mirrors for Psychic Warfare I had no idea the level of abuse Scott was inflicting onto his family. He always talked about his “mental illness” and things he did in the past he regretted, but nothing like this.
Over the last 12 plus years he and I have spent countless time together. I would be with him every second of every day for months at a time, often just the two of us and I have never seen this side of him. Not even close. It’s truly mind-blowing his level and power of manipulation he has on people.
In January of 2020 Scott cut off all contact with me for no reason. I tried repeatedly reaching out via text, emails and phone calls and nothing. I tried several times reaching out to his wife but was told everything was ok. Then in March of 2021 she sent me a lengthy detailed email about the abuse she and the kids had experienced and it was honestly the most disturbing thing I have ever read, it made me physically ill. I wish I could unsee it. By that point though the damage had been done and as far as I knew they were away from him and safe.
I poured my heart and soul into Corrections House and Mirrors for Psychic Warfare and now they are rotten. I will never have the same pride for those bands I once did and that truly hurts. This has been hard for me to process over the past year, but by this point in my life I am used to it and I move on.
I see a lot of people praising him for his honesty and that’s total bullshit, he deserves no praise. I have no sympathy for Scott and neither should you. I do have much love for his family and I really hope they are able to heal and move forward.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol at retiring because "there's no accountability in the music industry" and then all the people who would've held you accountable reveal that you shut them out of your life.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol at retiring because "there's no accountability in the music industry" and then all the people who would've held you accountable reveal that you shut them out of your life.

It looks like I spoke too soon about giving him some props for admitting the error of his ways. He truly sounds like a real rear end in a top hat of a person, and sadly you can't get help for being an rear end in a top hat.

I hope his wife and kids are well, and away from him.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

It looks like I spoke too soon about giving him some props for admitting the error of his ways. He truly sounds like a real rear end in a top hat of a person, and sadly you can't get help for being an rear end in a top hat.

I hope his wife and kids are well, and away from him.

I don't think there was anything wrong with this kind of response initially but yeah, everyone who knows him is being very clear that he's just trying to get out in front and control a story about some truly gnarly poo poo and the implication of just how bad the details are is pretty rough

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I think I've listened to High on Fire continuously for about a week now. The kids are learning to love riffs and I'm loving it more than ever.

Still think Blessed Black Wings is the best album.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think my favorite is actually Luminiferous

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Those are both bizarre spellings of Snakes for the Divine.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hatelull posted:

Those are both bizarre spellings of Snakes for the Divine.

Agreed. My fav is AoSD but I think Snakes is their best one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i love high on fire so much. i heard Snakes for the Divine as a single on a CD in Metal Hammer or something like that when I was a teenager and it blew my mind, i'd never heard anything like it before. i used to listen to that song over and over. love that band, love Matt Pike!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Snakes of the divine was my gateway to stoner metal and therefore is the best album from high on fire.

Or maybe mysteriis de vermis or however the gently caress you say that I'm not looking it up. Some absolutely evil riffs on that album. Madness of the architect is probably my favourite.

I think 10,000 years is my favourite hof song though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All of High on Fire's stuff is so good absolutely no one ever agrees on any sort of ranking of their albums

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

All of High on Fire's stuff is so good absolutely no one ever agrees on any sort of ranking of their albums

the last one was garbage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

"Sanctioned Annihilation" is my jam and those last two tracks rip. Maybe slightly more filler and less killer on that record, but I still maintain there is no straight up bad High in Fire album.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It kinda just felt like a HoF record by numbers to meet some contractual agreement with his label or whatever.

Like how bands do a 'best of' album with a new track to finish out a 3-record deal because one party is sick of the other party's poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think i'd put it anywhere near the top, but it's still good. It is funny that it's the one that won a grammy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hatelull posted:

"Sanctioned Annihilation" is my jam and those last two tracks rip. Maybe slightly more filler and less killer on that record, but I still maintain there is no straight up bad High in Fire album.

Sanctioned Annihilation is some of the most savage tom playing I've ever heard once that part starts (you know which part)

My favorite is De Vermis, 100% hands down. That album is mastered to sound like it is punching you in the face with drums.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

Sanctioned Annihilation is some of the most savage tom playing I've ever heard once that part starts (you know which part)

My favorite is De Vermis, 100% hands down. That album is mastered to sound like it is punching you in the face with drums.

I'm literally listening to De Vermis right now while working. It rules so loving hardcore. Nothing against Sleep, but I've always found HOF like a million times better. Serums of Liao? Hell yeah. Snakes for the Divine? Hell yeah. Devilution? Hell yeah. I love Matt's voice, it's got the perfect Lemmy growl but is unique, and there is a melody running through it unlike sludge vox (which I do love on their own in a different way, EHG and Bongzilla and Weedeater and such).

Definitely funny how everyone has different favorites, mine is Death Is This Communion. When I hear a lovely song playing when I'm out at a store or at the gym I always start humming "Fury Whip" in my head to drown it out. The title track has such a cool slow burn to it, I used to love listening to it when I'd be running. When he goes "Slithering blasphemous curse upon all liiiiiife" and the chorus riff blasts in, it's just so fuckin killer. Maybe not everyone's favorite track but it's got a lot of atmosphere, like Bastard Samurai (probably my fave track from Snakes, I drew a gig poster for them with a samurai on it which was cool because I got to meet Matt, although I was a bit too drunk and stoned to remember our interaction perfectly, haha).

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I don't know a ton about stoner metal, other than I enjoy listening to Torche and Baroness and Pelican, but I recently heard this album by Kal-El and enjoyed it a lot. Especially track 6 "Kala Mishaa". I hope this is the right thread for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slva44vryYQ

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On cover art alone I would say “probably.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Yeah Kal-El definitely applies here.

I've been looking for local stoner/psych gigs coming up this month (Jack Harlon on the 23rd gently caress yeah) and have been binging A Gazillion Angry Mexicans today:

https://agazillionangrymexicans1.bandcamp.com/album/blood-rainbow