Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm assuming we're going to find Athena possessing Claudien come 6.4

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

My Azem's name was Apollo (gift of prophecy, sun association, music and travel and joy). He still hosed Emet though.

My Azem's name is Echidna and spent every day of her life earning that name's reputation. Emet and Hyth stick around her more because they're rightfully scared of what she'd do if left unattended. Venat selected her as her replacement as a prank.

Athena is my favorite Ancient not because I think she's innocent and has good ideas, but because she's the only Ancient who strives to realize their people's potential to be absolutely loving horrifying to an outside observer. I have no interest in a society of tall perfect hotties, give me someone doing the high-octane crazy poo poo from mythology!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm assuming we're going to find Athena possessing Claudien come 6.4

Non-zero chance we're about to see what an Ascian who isn't a member of Organization XIII looks and acts like.

I don't think we've run into a 'feral' one since 1.0, have we? The Primes use a variant of their model and their skeleton gets reused for some undead mobs, but I don't think we've seen an actual, feral Ascian in a very very long time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Azem was also Apollo and they are not that interesting because tbh I care about my WoLs more. Was high school friends with Emet and Hythlodaeus before becoming Venat’s mentee.

Really the most interesting part is they got technically sundered twice for mumble mumble aetherial sea reasons because choosing one of my WoLs to be the Azem reincarnation was a little like choosing a favorite child.

(Viera WoL almost died when he was born but got resuscitated last second before his soul could completely return to the aetherial sea, which kinda snapped in in half between him and the sea. The other half got reborn as Au Ra WoL ~30 years later.)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Cleretic posted:

My Azem's name is Echidna and spent every day of her life earning that name's reputation. Emet and Hyth stick around her more because they're rightfully scared of what she'd do if left unattended. Venat selected her as her replacement as a prank.

Athena is my favorite Ancient not because I think she's innocent and has good ideas, but because she's the only Ancient who strives to realize their people's potential to be absolutely loving horrifying to an outside observer. I have no interest in a society of tall perfect hotties, give me someone doing the high-octane crazy poo poo from mythology!

Echidna, Knuckes the

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am full on the Persephone train and all about her and Emet's whirlwind crazy romance. I'm not opposed to the polycule stuff, but since I'm not poly it's hard to relate to, and what I care about is the Azem/Emet romance spurred on by Hythlodaeus as he does his best to try and make fire and water work out together. And because he's so good at it, they do work together even better than apart.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

azem is named harald petersen and he's a bank teller from ocean city maryland

it's canon, trust me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dread Persephone, terrible queen of the underworld, whose name is forbidden from mortal lips lest they invoke her ire for interrupting her while she wrestles a ham sandwich from the clutches of a raccoon in a dumpster behind the alleyway

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Azem is Apate, and everything up to 7.0 has all been the longest con in the entire story.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
It is not that some people have an inability to conceive of close friendships, its that some people like to imagine romances that are also close friendships. To rephrase something that people have said better elsewhere, for a lot of the shipping-inclined it is not that everything is about sexualizing friendship, it's frendship-izing sexual or romantic relationships. Seeing that in a lot of media many presented romances are very "yes they're in love, no we don't need to give reasons, we stuck a guy and a gal together, isn't that enough?" a certain sort of creative impulse will latch onto a sufficiently good friendship and, well, do the thing. It's not like the romance eliminates that friendship, it's that they've got that and they smooch.

Having said all that, my WoL's Azem was just really good friends with those two. That's the particular vibe I got, so that's what I've rolled with! I still haven't settled on a name, though, maybe I should borrow one from one of you guys...

hexwren posted:

azem is named harald petersen and he's a bank teller from ocean city maryland

it's canon, trust me

:hmmyes:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's been funny seeing people lament the lack of generically evil women in the game and then this patch hits and people are now lamenting how Athena seems generically evil. You can't please everyone!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's been funny seeing people lament the lack of generically evil women in the game and then this patch hits and people are now lamenting how Athena seems generically evil. You can't please everyone!

Once again FFXIV gives us everything we wanted! And yet...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think anyone here is lamenting that. There's a bunch of dumbass contrarians on the official forums who are convinced she can't be, but I feel like we're all pretty fine with Athena being Just The loving Worst.

However, we're also aware that we don't have all the pieces of this puzzle, so there's probably more to her than her being Just The loving Worst.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

I don't think anyone here is lamenting that. There's a bunch of dumbass contrarians on the official forums who are convinced she can't be, but I feel like we're all pretty fine with Athena being Just The loving Worst.

However, we're also aware that we don't have all the pieces of this puzzle, so there's probably more to her than her being Just The loving Worst.

I dunno, having someone peer directly into her soul, comprehending everything she is, and then say they saw nothing but the drive for her own progress with exactly zero concern, interest or love for anyone and anything outside of that is pretty conclusive to me.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think we'll get some kind of backstory for how she came to be like this, but not nearly enough for her to join our roster of hot sympathetic warcrime buddies

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I expect her to get more complicated, I don't expect her to get less evil. After all, all Lahabrea said on looking into her soul was 'wow, you're just a total unrepentant shitbag', we still don't really know why or to what end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I expect her to get more complicated, I don't expect her to get less evil. After all, all Lahabrea said on looking into her soul was 'wow, you're just a total unrepentant shitbag', we still don't really know why or to what end.

Becoming a real big trial boss who can say things like 'the powers of creation are mine to command' and 'the marvels of Elpis were but playthings', presumably.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think we'll get some kind of backstory for how she came to be like this, but not nearly enough for her to join our roster of hot sympathetic warcrime buddies

It's Final Fantasy. She'll definitely be a hot warcrime buddy. Just possibly not a sympathetic buddy.

I'm also very certain that the differences between past-Laha and future-Laha are wholly explained by Final Days + 12,000 years of engineering apocalypses. The fact that anyone holds on to sanity after that long is a feat. I can't fault him for snapping like a dry twig.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 30, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

Warmachine posted:

It's Final Fantasy. She'll definitely be a hot warcrime buddy. Just possibly not a sympathetic buddy.

I'm also very certain that the differences between past-Laha and future-Laha are wholly explained by Final Days + 12,000 years of engineering apocalypses. The fact that anyone holds on to sanity after that long is a feat. I can't fault him for snapping like a dry twig.

Not only that, but either Emet-Selch or Elidibus, I forget, says that possessing living beings instead of killing them and shaping their body into a better vessel did quite the number on his sanity over the millennia too.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 30, 2022

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Onean posted:

Not only that, but either Emet-Selch or Elidibus, I forget, says that possessing living beings instead of killing them and shaping their body into a better vessel did quite the number on his sanity over the millennia too.

This coming from either of them makes you wonder how good an idea becoming a Space Ghost is at all.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
It's hard not to admire Athena just from the angle of her being born into a society in immortals with innate post-scarcity magic and and still having the standard villain ambition of eternal life because that's just not immortal enough.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Yeah, I found it interesting that the extremely-long-lived, pre-scarcity, reality-weaving Ancients still had limits where they absolutely went "No, that is the realm of the gods and we should not meddle in such areas"

Also means that the Ancients had (or at least recognised) gods even before "All-mighty Zodiarc" was created. Wonder who they were and what happened to them?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Itzena posted:

Yeah, I found it interesting that the extremely-long-lived, pre-scarcity, reality-weaving Ancients still had limits where they absolutely went "No, that is the realm of the gods and we should not meddle in such areas"

Also means that the Ancients had (or at least recognised) gods even before "All-mighty Zodiarc" was created. Wonder who they were and what happened to them?

We're sparring with them in the odd numbered patches right now!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Onean posted:

I dunno, having someone peer directly into her soul, comprehending everything she is, and then say they saw nothing but the drive for her own progress with exactly zero concern, interest or love for anyone and anything outside of that is pretty conclusive to me.

I got the impression that there was some sort of idea that the ancients find too tempting. Lahabrea sunders his own soul in response to being exposed to it, because otherwise he would surrender to the temptation (and we see that his sundered half did, in fact, succumb to that temptation). I think Athena wasn't always like this, but she stumbled upon something during her research, and that something grew into an all-consuming obsession that burned away everything else.

I do hope that's the case; the idea of someone stumbling onto forbidden knowledge by creating it from nothing is really neat. Usually in fiction it's some external force that reveals a terrible truth, but to have a researcher make a breakthrough on their own and then think "well poo poo, I could do that, couldn't I?" is a fun twist on the standard.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dirk the Average posted:

I got the impression that there was some sort of idea that the ancients find too tempting. Lahabrea sunders his own soul in response to being exposed to it, because otherwise he would surrender to the temptation (and we see that his sundered half did, in fact, succumb to that temptation). I think Athena wasn't always like this, but she stumbled upon something during her research, and that something grew into an all-consuming obsession that burned away everything else.

I do hope that's the case; the idea of someone stumbling onto forbidden knowledge by creating it from nothing is really neat. Usually in fiction it's some external force that reveals a terrible truth, but to have a researcher make a breakthrough on their own and then think "well poo poo, I could do that, couldn't I?" is a fun twist on the standard.

It might straight up be related to the Ancient's pre-existing tendency to play god. If you can become god, instead of simply play god, why wouldn't you, why wouldn't you gain absolute power over the star.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lord_Magmar posted:

It might straight up be related to the Ancient's pre-existing tendency to play god. If you can become god, instead of simply play god, why wouldn't you, why wouldn't you gain absolute power over the star.

That might explain the focus on collectivism and the duty to the star and not staying alive for endless time, they're all checks to prevent the birth of JRPG villains in their midst.

Sadly they forgot about depression.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've always been partial to Odysseus as Azem's name.

Edit: That or Kassandra :unsmigghh:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 30, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm partial to Azem being Dionysius/Bacchus. Not only because grapes :v: but also the whole "appears silly but is secretly very scary"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
In earnest, my money on Azem's name was always Prometheus. Defied and pissed off the rest of the pantheon, stole fire, got punished, hangs out with humans now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm partial to Azem being Dionysius/Bacchus. Not only because grapes :v: but also the whole "appears silly but is secretly very scary"

Go the whole way. Adam is Zagreus-Dionysius.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That might explain the focus on collectivism and the duty to the star and not staying alive for endless time, they're all checks to prevent the birth of JRPG villains in their midst.

JRPG villainy is a serious problem when the power level is too high yeah. In the EW MSQ we mostly hang out with four ancients, and three of them go on to cause apocalypse-level disasters. At that sort of rate it's amazing their society lasted as long as it did

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

In earnest, my money on Azem's name was always Prometheus. Defied and pissed off the rest of the pantheon, stole fire, got punished, hangs out with humans now.

They've been going real hard on the prophecy and sun theming though, and there's no "stealing fire" in Azem's story whatsoever. Nor is there punishment besides banishment. You're creating a conflict as something much bigger than presented.

Prophecy and Sun is Apollo, as is travel, music, joy, hope. Apollo gets around deifically.

I guess yes Azem leaves the convocation in protest, but they don't steal anything when doing so. Unless you mean the Ifrita story which is very different contextually.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 30, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

They've been going real hard on the prophecy and sun theming though, and there's no "stealing fire" in Azem's story whatsoever. Nor is there punishment besides banishment. You're creating a conflict as something much bigger than presented.

Prophecy and Sun is Apollo, as is travel, music, joy, hope. Apollo gets around deifically.

The stolen fire in this context is Ifrita. (EDIT: Jumped in without seeing your edit, we're on the same page there even if I'm putting more weight on it.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ImpAtom posted:

Go the whole way. Adam is Zagreus-Dionysius.

But then Emet is our dad and that's a can of worms if I ever saw one.

In all honestly, if we stay on the Greek theme (which is a given seeing all the Ancient names) Apollo is for sure the most fitting specially the "loved ones have terrible fates". But obviously they will never say it out loud so that everyone can have their own choice, since Azem kinda counts as an extension of our PC?

On another note, just did the SQ and started IS and I gotta say, I for one welcome Tataru as our new capitalist overlord. That said give me mammets to automate some things, I'm not checking in a PC game every 6 hours to water crops.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That said give me mammets to automate some things, I'm not checking in a PC game every 6 hours to water crops.

You only need to water them once a day, and if you happen to be on the island when it rains, they get watered that way! After the final cropland expansion the Mammets CAN take care of it for you, for a daily fee.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You only need to water them once a day, and if you happen to be on the island when it rains, they get watered that way! After the final cropland expansion the Mammets CAN take care of it for you, for a daily fee.

Oh yeah, I knew, I just wanted them ASAP. Glad to know the watering is once a day, and given the island seems to be the future DF waiting place it shouldn't be a problem with dailies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you queue into a duty from your island and then the island server fills up while you're in the instance, what happens when you get sent back to your island?

e: oh, this is the spoiler thread, w/e

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

It almost feels like an accident that they survived as long as they did, perhaps that's the point: If they had this power and HADN'T come across this solution they would've imploded long ago. But they kept on exploring strange esoterica, and on more than one occasion in a short period of time people started tripping over memetic hazards that were serious threats to their society.

Existential Cosmological Dread.

Magical Transhumanism.

Hand-crafted Divinities.

We can see from other examples out there that life tends to find a way to self destruct in this setting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

If you queue into a duty from your island and then the island server fills up while you're in the instance, what happens when you get sent back to your island?

e: oh, this is the spoiler thread, w/e

On my slow-loading PC I've noticed a flicker of Drydocks before it loads the Sanctuary, so I assume you'd get dropped there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

I mean they also have the answer to JRPG villains with other Ancients who can gently caress the Bad Nerds up. There's never really any indication that Themis and Erichthonios couldn't have handled Pandemonium with some help.

That their society isn't a perfect equilibrium doesn't mean it can't sustain itself. The problem with the Final Days was arguably that it was so seemingly random and capricious there was nobody to punch (that they knew of) and they had the chance to get all Morbidly Introspective.

Which seems to be what kills a lot of societies in the Sea of Stars.