Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Genthil posted:

Before I stopped playing last time I got 100% world completion on one of my characters, so I figured now I'll start doing WvW stuff to get a Gift of Battle or two and work towards crafting Legendary weapons that require a Gift of Mastery. I haven't decided on what profession/build I'll use for WvW yet, but are there any resources or tips in general for progressing through the reward tracks?

Put a point into the warclaw ability right away to get the warclaw reward track and do that one first. Especially starting out you will be better off running with a zerg and staying with the zerg is much easier once you have the warclaw.

And also put a point into gliding ASAP. Gliding in WvW is separate from PvE. I still die from falls because I forget I'm in enemy territory sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Genthil posted:

I'm coming back to this after last playing on and off during 2020 and 2021 (before that was the first two months from launch). So far I've rediscovered how fun the dual-pistol Deadeye build can be, just going Tomb Raider on everyone. :blastu: Reaper still owns as well and I've been enjoying Vindicator too.

Before I stopped playing last time I got 100% world completion on one of my characters, so I figured now I'll start doing WvW stuff to get a Gift of Battle or two and work towards crafting Legendary weapons that require a Gift of Mastery. I haven't decided on what profession/build I'll use for WvW yet, but are there any resources or tips in general for progressing through the reward tracks?

In addition to what was said, try to do the WvW dailies every day. About half can be done solo, others require a squad. Each of those always gets you one or two pots, which give 250 reward track progression on usage. That's about 1.000 extra reward track progress per day. Doing just those for 3 weeks alone nets you enough pots (80) to complete a full mastery track.

Edit: don't do the Warclaw reward track unless you will continue doing WvW after you get your Gift of Battle. If only the Gift is your goal, getting Warclaw first will almost double the time required for the Gift.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 29, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there a way that I speed up getting skirmish tokens? Trying to get to diamond tier involves basically all my play time in a week.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Not really. You get more pips at higher levels, but it takes a lot of levels for it to make a difference.

You could also run a public squad to get more pips.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, commanding gives you one (private squad of 5+) or three (public squad of 10+) extra. You also get one extra if you at least completed the final wooden chests (first tier) the week before. All others are tied to performance of your realm.

If you are in for the mid- to long-term, focusing your buffs and neck infusions towards WXP first might be worth it. Gets you to rank 150 quicker, at which point you gain another permanent pip. All upgrades after that are far away.

WvW is slanted towards veteran players and strong realms like that. A beginner on the weakest realm earns 5 pips every 5 minutes, while a max rank commander of a strong realm can potentially earn 18.

At an optimistic average rate of 30 minutes per rank, a max rank (10000) player has spent at least 5000 hours in WvW though.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 29, 2022

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't think I've spent 5,000 hours playing any game, ever. This includes games like WoW and World of Tanks where I have been playing them for over a decade or in WoW's case, close to two decades now..

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

This is probably a stupid question but - I have the gift of mastery, the precursor and the recipes for two other gifts but I can't find the overall 'Legendary' recipe or whatever list of 'this is what you need to dump in the forge' in game. I have the wiki but nothing in game so I can track it - am I missing something? First ever legendary I figure I should do something with the pile of world completion thingies.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Goes into the Gift of Mastery--if you have one, you already spent one of the two you get per completion.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Flytitle posted:

Goes into the Gift of Mastery--if you have one, you already spent one of the two you get per completion.

Yeh I have a full pile of those things, I like doing map completions for the transmutes & occasional keys. I had never made a legendary before but have finally completed gift of battle reward track and had a small pile of clovers from back when coins were worth less than throwing them into the forge for the chance at lvl 6 mats and doing drizzlewood a bunch gave me more & stacks of wood etc. So I figured I'd start one but the only guide I have is the wiki so I wondered if there was some NPC somewhere who'd give me something that would track it. I found the collection for the precursor but I already have the precursor.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Unfortunately there isn't really an in-game guide to making legendaries. gw2efficiency.com has crafting calculator that can pull your account information and list out exactly what materials you need and how much it'll cost.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Good to know I'm not missing something super obvious - cheers!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

HELLO KITTY PRINCESS HOOOO

I am also playing this marvelous gem of a game

Considering Birthday dyes, should I just opt for the best looking ones for myself, or just get the most expensive ones to sell? Should get more than 100g if I sell, but wondering if gold in this game is a priority or not

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mr. Pickles posted:

HELLO KITTY PRINCESS HOOOO

I am also playing this marvelous gem of a game

Considering Birthday dyes, should I just opt for the best looking ones for myself, or just get the most expensive ones to sell? Should get more than 100g if I sell, but wondering if gold in this game is a priority or not

Dyes received from birthday gifts are account-bound, they can't be sold.

Personally, I look up the birthday dye pack on the wiki (for example, here's the fourth birthday dye pack: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jubilant_Dye_Pack) and use my API key to see which ones I don't have yet. If there are any that I want, I choose one of those. Mostly, I just pick whichever one is the most expensive, on the basis that it saves me from having to buy it later if I decide to do something weird like a complete dye collection.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 30, 2022

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The wiki has a nicely laid out infographic-table with everything you need for your legendary. Not sure what else you are looking for?

Just go to the page for a legendary and scroll down to "Full materials list"

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Tambaloneus posted:

Yeh I have a full pile of those things, I like doing map completions for the transmutes & occasional keys. I had never made a legendary before but have finally completed gift of battle reward track and had a small pile of clovers from back when coins were worth less than throwing them into the forge for the chance at lvl 6 mats and doing drizzlewood a bunch gave me more & stacks of wood etc. So I figured I'd start one but the only guide I have is the wiki so I wondered if there was some NPC somewhere who'd give me something that would track it. I found the collection for the precursor but I already have the precursor.

You may consider selling the Gifts if you want.
It's an involved process because you can't sell them directly but you may find it worth it as it sells for around 500 gold if I remember correctly.

You may find more info here https://old.reddit.com/r/GW2Exchange/ or there https://discord.com/invite/gw2overflow

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Some of these retooled world bosses are a little too spongey. It's good that they don't just fall over in seconds anymore, but now it just feels like 10 straight minutes of doing the same thing over and over

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Dyes received from birthday gifts are account-bound, they can't be sold.

Personally, I look up the birthday dye pack on the wiki (for example, here's the fourth birthday dye pack: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jubilant_Dye_Pack) and use my API key to see which ones I don't have yet. If there are any that I want, I choose one of those. Mostly, I just pick whichever one is the most expensive, on the basis that it saves me from having to buy it later if I decide to do something weird like a complete dye collection.

Oh, so there are more than one ways to acquire such exclusive dyes. OK I'll just get the expensive abyssal blacks and permafrost and whatnot :) TY

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

404notfound posted:

Some of these retooled world bosses are a little too spongey. It's good that they don't just fall over in seconds anymore, but now it just feels like 10 straight minutes of doing the same thing over and over

Svanir Shaman? :D

I like what they did with Jungle Worm, didn't notice much of a difference with Shadow Behemoth and it's nice Fire Ele doesn't keel over within 10 seconds now. If I had a gold for every time I did the pre events and then couldn't get a tag onto the boss fast enough...

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

404notfound posted:

Yeah the Svanir Shaman is dumb.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh my god I just saw the plush griffon skin in the store. how worth it is that?

no, first i should actually play the game before buying that

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Well they got me my ten hour mount trial ended I tried to play without it couldn’t and just bought the expansion. Well played arena net well played

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CODChimera posted:

oh my god I just saw the plush griffon skin in the store. how worth it is that?

no, first i should actually play the game before buying that

You're not going to have access to a griffon for a good while but yeah that skin is exquisite.

Birthday dyes:
Get whatever you think looks best. And/or choose the most expensive ones. That way if you end up buying higher-end dyes, you will have some of them already unlocked.

Speaking of, I now have Bubblegum and Limescale.
Lonk, I'm coming for you ;)

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Regarding mount skins: a new container named "mount skin selection license" or some such surfaced yesterday. It let's you pick one of many mount skins, even some rarer ones like the Starborn ones. Expectation is, that ArenaNet will give each player one of these for free when logging in between tonight and tomorrow night (more like noon-ish in the US). So if you can, try logging in once within the next 24h and grab it from the gemstore.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Be sure to consider that default mount skins aren't really dyeable (as in, they don't really change much based on what dye you pick) and that pretty much other mount skin will be fully dyeable, so it's worth it to get at least one non-default skin for every mount so you can at least dye them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Luggage posted:

Regarding mount skins: a new container named "mount skin selection license" or some such surfaced yesterday. It let's you pick one of many mount skins, even some rarer ones like the Starborn ones. Expectation is, that ArenaNet will give each player one of these for free when logging in between tonight and tomorrow night (more like noon-ish in the US). So if you can, try logging in once within the next 24h and grab it from the gemstore.

I would've liked to have known that before buying one and getting my Starbound Griffon skin

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jokes posted:

Be sure to consider that default mount skins aren't really dyeable (as in, they don't really change much based on what dye you pick) and that pretty much other mount skin will be fully dyeable, so it's worth it to get at least one non-default skin for every mount so you can at least dye them.

I don't really agree with this.
Though the base models benefit more from high contrast dyes like the enameled line or vintage silver, you can still get a lot of good looks from them.

Raptor is probably the worst, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm saying you can't really fully color them. At best, for the defaults, it's a very slight accent compared to most of the skins where you can turn them full-on bright orange if you want.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bird raptor best raptor

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yup, the roadrunner cost me $20 and I immediately thought I'd regret spending that money on a bullshit microtransaction but I'm such a huge FF dork, I just absolutely love my chocobo

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I got the chocobo from a weekly Black Lion key, which is I think literally the only cool thing one of those chests has ever dropped for me.

Also good god there are so many mount skins to pick from, this is going to be an impossible choice. Feel like I should probably go with a Skyscale skin since I'm pretty sure it will get the most use of any of my mounts once I finally stop being lazy and unlock it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

^^^
Yeah, I use Skyscale almost exclusively.
Roller Beetle if I want speed and Raptor for farting around.

I never touch the Springer or Jackal anymore, which sucks since I have a bunch of excellent Jackal skins.

jokes posted:

I'm saying you can't really fully color them. At best, for the defaults, it's a very slight accent compared to most of the skins where you can turn them full-on bright orange if you want.

Oh, duh, right. I was not awake.

Using the plush griffin with the brightest pinks and whites makes me king of the skies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Luggage posted:

Update on this: the skins shown in the video are wrong. What you get in-game is what you get

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/1564670911961534465

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Further down that thread

https://twitter.com/Ardenliegh/status/1564672759992565760?s=20&t=iTk5MfIGDSY-XBevZyeXGA

Im brand new but I've seen the store, I can only imagine what that would have cost.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have like 4 mount skins total, that persons power level is beyond mortal comprehension

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
How do you even pick which one to use when you have that many? Mounts are the main thing I’ll splurge on because you can’t unlock them in-game, but I still only have 8 total.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kris xK posted:

Further down that thread

https://twitter.com/Ardenliegh/status/1564672759992565760?s=20&t=iTk5MfIGDSY-XBevZyeXGA

Im brand new but I've seen the store, I can only imagine what that would have cost.

Some people are unfathomably wealthy from playing the money game or by just slowly grinding up poo poo like precursors

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Also, there's the occasionally Streamer, YTer or fanpage editor, who can write gemstore purchases off as a business expanse. Fashion wars legend KrytanHerald is one of them.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Free mount skin in the gem store!

Edit: should have refreshed the page oh well

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They should make a randomizer that selects a different mount skins, gliders, and novelties every time.

HIRE ME ANET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd rather randomizers give you X "pulls" and you can just pick your favorite 1.