Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

The assassain lord needs to be banned or altered so a salty concession doesn't end the game for everyone else.
At the very least, the RC needs to look at it.

That might fall under

quote:

2.4 Conceding or Intentionally Drawing Games or Matches:

Players may not agree to a concession or draw in exchange for any reward or incentive. Doing so will be considered Bribery (see section 5.2). If a player refuses to play, it is assumed that they have conceded the match.

They go into it more deeply here, with no official ruling: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/collusion-and-appearance-impropriety-2001-08-02

But this would definitely be solved by changing the rule to "Conceding happens at sorcery speed and can be responded to" or some wording along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That might fall under

They go into it more deeply here, with no official ruling: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/collusion-and-appearance-impropriety-2001-08-02

But this would definitely be solved by changing the rule to "Conceding happens at sorcery speed and can be responded to" or some wording along those lines.

that rule is about bribes and collusion, not quitting a game because a dumbly designed card rewards someone else for you not conceding

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lone Goat posted:

that rule is about bribes and collusion, not quitting a game because a dumbly designed card rewards someone else for you not conceding

The issue is the card rewards them for you conceding too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Framboise posted:

As someone pretty deep down the custom mechanical keyboard rabbit hole, that's pretty on par pricewise for a designer keycap set with novelty keys included. A bit lower than average since it includes keys for all different layouts of boards.

EDIT: Also, if you want them, get them asap, because once the group buy ends and the end product gets distributed, you'd be looking at easily twice the price on the secondhand market.

Yeah this is pretty good considering it's a licensed product. Those desk mats are actually really cheap too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

The issue is the card rewards them for you conceding too.

sounds like a lovely card imo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
They really need to stop printing all these broken Commander cards in standard sets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO9ex7o5j38

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

They really need to stop printing all these broken Commander cards in standard sets:

oh that's why sheldon's quitting, wotc is just ruining commander with all these t1 wins

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

*2 seconds in* hah hah hah okay, no. I don't care actually

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm quite sure that addressing a 9 cards combo as "broken turn 1 combo" is fully ironic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That might fall under

I definitely don't think you should change the concession rules to fit the card, I think that would be the worst change. I think adding "unblocked" at least makes the player get to the declare blocker step, but the card really can't function in the face of intentional spite. But is a 4 drop lord even good enough to make this happen? LIke is that the true reason the card is fine? The opportunity cost of playing it is just too high in a formata with Sol Ring?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm quite sure that addressing a 9 cards combo as "broken turn 1 combo" is fully ironic.

Congrats on making it past the title and youtube intro. Most of us didn't.

E: oh god, we're going to have another "youtube voice" derail. No. I'm sorry for my role in it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Using infinite loops to hold my opponent hostage. :twisted:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

YggdrasilTM posted:

you still need to be funny tho

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think the joke is, there's a lot of ridiculous mana artifacts, so much so that playing Vorinclex, Monstrous Hunter on turn 1 is not only feasible but requires no special effort.

I agree that the delivery could use some work.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

Yeah this is pretty good considering it's a licensed product. Those desk mats are actually really cheap too.

Oh dang I didn't even notice the deskmats.

I'd love the Wandering Emperor art if it was just the background.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The rules on conceding and handling a player losing in a multiplayer game are written so that you can, at any time, pick up all your cards and go home immediately. I don't imagine them changing that to support one special weird commander.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Qwertycoatl posted:

The rules on conceding and handling a player losing in a multiplayer game are written so that you can, at any time, pick up all your cards and go home immediately. I don't imagine them changing that to support one special weird commander.

The funnier part would be picking up all your cards that have been stolen by other players w/ Control Magic and similar

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

I mean, yeah, realistically, it's going to fall under the rule zero "Stop being such a kingmaking turd Greg, let Dave play his stupid tribal combo deck that rarely wins", and you shouldn't play with people who would act that way, but...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They call it Rule 0 because I have zero interest in playing commander

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Devor posted:

The funnier part would be picking up all your cards that have been stolen by other players w/ Control Magic and similar

Yep, that's a thing that already happens. If you control magic a player's creature and they lose (or concede) then the creature immediately leaves the game

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think the joke is, there's a lot of ridiculous mana artifacts, so much so that playing Vorinclex, Monstrous Hunter on turn 1 is not only feasible but requires no special effort.

I agree that the delivery could use some work.

The joke is that Commander players every new set freak out about how an innocuous new card is broken in Commander because it's part of a "12-card turn-1 combo" that involves playing things like Omniscience etc. already.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yep, that's a thing that already happens. If you control magic a player's creature and they lose (or concede) then the creature immediately leaves the game

Funniest time to do it?

My guess: after blocks were declared, removing a control-magicked blocker to let trample damage through

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3g7FlB_D0&t=755s

Prof and PleasantKenobi point out something interesting as far as 30th MTG anniversary in Vegas, point of entry costs and how current CommandFest entries work.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jiro posted:

Prof and PleasantKenobi point out something interesting as far as 30th MTG anniversary in Vegas, point of entry costs and how current CommandFest entries work.

What's the something interesting

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jiro posted:

Did you just post a commercial for a youtube channel?

Are you the professor?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They call it Rule 0 because I have zero interest in playing commander

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

I see a lot of old men yelling at cloud about how things cost money in 2022.

I've done a lot of conventions in my life (and a MagicFest/CommandFest/M30 is basically a convention), and while, yes, $160 is on the high side for what this event is, I would not have batted an eye at $75-100. poo poo's expensive, yo.

The boo hoo story about 5 people who drove to Orlando without tickets and couldn't get in like it's somehow WotC's fault that they showed up for a ticketed event empty-handed is weird and dumb, especially in the time of COVID where attendee limits for safety are a real thing.

For comparison, some of the stuff I'm familiar with (I generally don't west coast, anymore):
• Gencon (Trad Games) - $125
• Pax East (Trad Games) - $235
• Otakon (anime) - $100
• MagFest (Video Games) - $110

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

The joke is that Commander players every new set freak out about how an innocuous new card is broken in Commander because it's part of a "12-card turn-1 combo" that involves playing things like Omniscience etc. already.

This is not unique to Commander players.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sickening posted:

Did you just post a commercial for a youtube channel?

Are you the professor?

Yes, an '04 reg date who mainly posts in wrestling and here is definitely the Prof.

And I dunno I found the conversation interesting, I have never gone to a Magic specific con, or a lot of cons mind you. Never really a huge fan of crowds in enclosed spaces even before covid.

I'd do your ACL Music Fest once or twice or Fun Fun Fun Fest like ten+ years ago but all that was outdoors and I expect a day pass or three day pass for stuff like that to cost a lot.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 30, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I've done a lot of conventions in my life (and a MagicFest/CommandFest/M30 is basically a convention), and while, yes, $160 is on the high side for what this event is, I would not have batted an eye at $75-100. poo poo's expensive, yo.

The boo hoo story about 5 people who drove to Orlando without tickets and couldn't get in like it's somehow WotC's fault that they showed up for a ticketed event empty-handed is weird and dumb, especially in the time of COVID where attendee limits for safety are a real thing.

For comparison, some of the stuff I'm familiar with (I generally don't west coast, anymore):
• Gencon (Trad Games) - $125
• Pax East (Trad Games) - $235
• Otakon (anime) - $100
• MagFest (Video Games) - $110

Any given major fighting game event is $70+ for venue fee plus like $10 per game as well

Though I feel like you get your money worth there, since you get to play basically all day in casuals plus usually there's a free play arcade and other stuff. Afaik at magic events it's only tournaments and vendors mostly?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Toshimo posted:

I think they are more saying that the value isn't there and it should either cost less/be free, or give you more for what you're paying. I agree w/ them

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Any given major fighting game event is $70+ for venue fee plus like $10 per game as well

Though I feel like you get your money worth there, since you get to play basically all day in casuals plus usually there's a free play arcade and other stuff. Afaik at magic events it's only tournaments and vendors mostly?

My understanding (at least from that video) is that the ticketed events have tables set aside for "free play". If that's not the case, there's a different argument to be made, but the 2 dudes in the video hadn't even looked at what made up the packages they were looking at prior to doing the Mad Reaction Veideo and a ton of what they said was factually incorrect, so idk what is actually included myself.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

I think they are more saying that the value isn't there and it should either cost less/be free, or give you more for what you're paying. I agree w/ them

mtg players absolutely love driving themselves insane about ~~~~the value~~~~

not every thing has to be some sort of calculated transaction. just go to have fun and if you can't afford to have fun there's plenty of other ways to spend your time that are less expensive than a luxury collectible game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SCG events are free and you just pay to enter the tournaments. I think that's a better way to go

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't make enough money to not think about value.

E: oh, you addressed that by saying I should pick another hobby. Cool thanks

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SCG events are free and you just pay to enter the tournaments. I think that's a better way to go

That is the equivalent of MagicFests, which... exist... and were mentioned in the linked video.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

That is the equivalent of MagicFests, which... exist... and were mentioned in the linked video.

Okay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lone Goat posted:

mtg players absolutely love driving themselves insane about ~~~~the value~~~~

not every thing has to be some sort of calculated transaction. just go to have fun and if you can't afford to have fun there's plenty of other ways to spend your time that are less expensive than a luxury collectible game.

You can't just go and have fun. Just being at the event has a cost associated to it. Knowing what you are getting out of your money is just responsible consumer behavior. I get you are getting annoyed with some of the repetitive wording, but your point is kind of nonsense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being a ticketed event makes sense since Magic 30 has some panels, but the price is pretty high considering the small number of them and lack of any other programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If it's called Magic 30 they should charge $30