Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
He deleted the tweet which means Jordan Peterson should, by his own admission, be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like Crowley because a lot of his stuff was just outrage-trolling Christians or made up on the fly to scam wealthy women into giving him money.

Peterson sucks because he is ultimately shilling the same fundamental values as a hardline Christian but is incapable of admitting belief even to himself - he cries when discussing Jesus because he's terrified that God might actually exist (his words). He wants the emotional safety that a rigid society provides but must argue for it from a shattered perspective camouflaged by dumbass clipart chaos dragons and insisting that fairy-tales reveal some mystical truth of existence because he lacks the personal strength to commit even to something that nobody can prove wrong.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pontificating rear end posted:

He deleted the tweet which means Jordan Peterson should, by his own admission, be dead.

ah well

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Every time I check this thread I hope to find that Jorp finally OD'd on sketchy horse tranquillisers and passed on to bother whatever ironic hell would have him.
One of these days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

took me a minute to catch up with the tweet thing. As far as I can tell, this is what the tweet was. It's behind spoiler tags because it's superemely not a cool thing to say and anyone who is sensitive about trans issues should skip it.

Remember when Pride was a sin? And [Elliot Page] just had [his] breasts removed by a criminal physician

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Lampsacus posted:

I still get brainlaughs from the obvious point that parents have been telling their kids to tidy their rooms but as soon as its phrased by jordan peterson suddenly its Gospel and Magic and True.
Here is an iteration of it:

Well the book did not just advise people to clean their rooms (although I understand that’s one of the possible starting points of dealing with depression) and even if it did, when parents tell their kids to do it they are usually terrible at explaining WHY the kids should do it or come up with terrible reasons.

I think the bigger message of that rule was to clean your room before you try to change the world (as an analogy to sort out your own poo poo before taking on changing other people’s lives or society) which, ironically and very obviously, he is not doing.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 29, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

rkd_ posted:

I think the bigger message of that rule was to clean your room before you try to change the world (as an analogy to sort out your own poo poo before taking on changing other people’s lives or society) which, ironically and very obviously, he is not doing.

That message, like a lot of things he writes, is inherently conservative and designed to put the kibosh on attempts to change things.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That message, like a lot of things he writes, is inherently conservative and designed to put the kibosh on attempts to change things.

I agree, I don’t think it’s a good or even viable ideal or rule. Certainly the moment it’s used against someone else. Just wanted to explain that it’s more than ‘lol clean your room because it’s what you’re supposed to do’

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

He’s probably a “cultural christian” like Dick Dorkins, where he likes the culture and traditions, like hating women and entitlement to rule, while not being bound to defend supernatural claims. Jorp is a lot more new-age about it, though, like when he implies but is careful not to claim directly that the caduceus is a representation of a dna molecule.

nah. he's definitely not like dorkins in that sense. jorp is fully onboard with all the religious aspects of christianity, he just tries to downplay his own religiosity (very poorly, imo) to trick the new atheist crowd into thinking he's somebody they can trust as opposed to your bog standard bible thumper.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1563152716419186688

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lmao

Ill never delete the screenshot of the tweet I deleted! Go to hell you woke bastards!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Guess we saw who cancelled whom after all!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I hope Jorp records a new rant about being suspended for his tweet of his previous tweet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What's up, woke moralists! Who cancels who, huh? HUH!?!?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Backwards hat Jorp: "Greetings fellow moralists! What's woke today, chums?"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Eager to see how long the "housekeeping" of his twitter account lasts. I'm sure he won't be back to posting about cacodaemons because one of the Olsen twins dyed her hair, or whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cicadalek posted:

Eager to see how long the "housekeeping" of his twitter account lasts. I'm sure he won't be back to posting about cacodaemons because one of the Olsen twins dyed her hair, or whatever.

"Stay frosty, you social archviles; we'll see who rips and tears who."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jordan Poopyhead

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

'm sure he won't be back to posting about cacodaemons

A Jordan Peterson debate with Glenn Benton would not be edifying, but it might be entertaining.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I must have made some very bad choices recently because YouTube recommended me a video from Mikhaila’s channel today.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

Eager to see how long the "housekeeping" of his twitter account lasts.

He got banned again already - he's "I'm not back, really" tweet included a screenshot of the tweet that got him banned.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Zugzwang posted:

I must have made some very bad choices recently because YouTube recommended me a video from Mikhaila’s channel today.

I checked out videos on quantum mechanics, and Youtube recommended me a jorp video where he - apparently - argues that quantum mechanics is bs. Didn't click that poo poo, but gently caress that website.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

busalover posted:

I checked out videos on quantum mechanics, and Youtube recommended me a jorp video where he - apparently - argues that quantum mechanics is bs. Didn't click that poo poo, but gently caress that website.

quantum mechanics is provable just by turning on a pentium 4 and feeling that sweet electron warmth that Intel unfortunately found out about in 2004.

so is his argument that he somehow knows more than the entire field of physics or is he being a once-right-broken-clock and saying all the weird woo about quantum mechanics = science means reality is spooky and weird is dumb.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If I don't understand it then it's not real. That's why I can never break the law.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

busalover posted:

I could see Jorp hating quantum mechanics because it is concerned with the fuzzy and probabilistic, and he loves them binaries

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

busalover posted:

If it's the video with Roger Penrose it's fine (in terms of content) because Penrose does most of the talking and it's safe to say that he knows his poo poo.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i saw this meme on the internet

and you know, its whatever. didn't make me laugh or nothing. but what has made me laugh a whole lot is imagining worf peterson. the first thing you'll want to do is get the voice right - it's easy as always to go full peterson but in your brain you'll want to add a little worf to it too. he's always going on about cleaning your bat'leth. got real sick for a couple months cause he was addicted to neuro-stimulants and drinking nothing but prune juice. cries constantly as always but anytime he does he does that full on klingon scream in the air deal. im telling you - worf peterson - whole lot of fun

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Renfield posted:

He got banned again already - he's "I'm not back, really" tweet included a screenshot of the tweet that got him banned.

Is he? His account still shows up, it just says that one tweet broke rules. Is this what a Twitter suspension looks like now when they want someone to remove one tweet?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't there a form of twitter suspension where you cannot post but your account is otherwise left alone?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
He was gone, if he's back he must have taken that tweet down again...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Data Zuckerberg is acceptable. I've been making android jokes ever since he did his "Hello fellow humans. I, too, consume burnt slices of bread and 'smoke' the meats, as you say." videos.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Data Zuckerberg is acceptable. I've been making android jokes ever since he did his "Hello fellow humans. I, too, consume burnt slices of bread and 'smoke' the meats, as you say." videos.

I've seen a few people say that that's a deliberate affect and that he's not exactly 'normal' in reality but acts more like the dweeby version of a frat boy when he's off-camera.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
up urs woke moralists

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Zugzwang posted:

I could see Jorp hating quantum mechanics because it is concerned with the fuzzy and probabilistic, and he loves them binaries

I don't know about Djerp, but I do know many libertarians, especially objectivists loving hate modern physics.
Mostly because of the word "relativity" in "the general theory of relativity". Since relativity is in contrast to the absolute, dogmatic, objective world view randroids think they hold. No I am not making this up.
There were still people arguing against Einstein and in favor of the ether (aether?) when I de-randified myself in 2009.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

fish and chips and dip posted:

I don't know about Djerp, but I do know many libertarians, especially objectivists loving hate modern physics.
Mostly because of the word "relativity" in "the general theory of relativity". Since relativity is in contrast to the absolute, dogmatic, objective world view randroids think they hold. No I am not making this up.
There were still people arguing against Einstein and in favor of the ether (aether?) when I de-randified myself in 2009.

This is odd because a lot of them seem to think the universe operates on metaphysical laws like a videogame that's inherently biased in favor of straight white republican men, ie, they're the good guys because they're the player characters, which means everyone else is an evil NPC and the player characters have to enslave or exterminate all of them to "Win the game".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is the whole " degenerate Jewish science" thing all over again.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fish and chips and dip posted:

What’s funny there is, IIRC (my knowledge of physics is rusty), relativistic equations still give you an objective answer. It’s just that it’s for a given reference frame, not for the whole universe. Granted, those folks have a pretty hardcore definition of “objective.”

When I studied the philosophy of religion eons ago, people in that space were arguing against Einstein too, because the relativity of simultaneity seems to have implications that they really don’t like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tesseraction posted:

I've seen a few people say that that's a deliberate affect and that he's not exactly 'normal' in reality but acts more like the dweeby version of a frat boy when he's off-camera.

That’s closer to the truth I would say, yeah.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

kntfkr posted:

up urs woke moralists

wow wtf is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

kntfkr posted:

up urs woke moralists

Good heavens! Everything is topsy-turvy, and now I can't tell who's canceling who!