Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

devmd01 posted:

Scored a switch upgrade from work. Went a lot faster to configure this time even though I couldn’t find my notes from the previous 3750. Still need to get the fiber hooked up for the 2nd floor switch but it’s all working for now.

I am genuinely surprised that rackmount hardware hidden inside furniture isn't a bigger thing for home networks.

I know Startech makes the one thing and discontinued the other.... and holy poo poo do I regret not buying the one when they were deeply discounted during COVID, but I've been eyeballing local furniture makers (I live in the SF Bay Area) and considering going, "Hey, here's a thou, what I'd spend buying the Startech thing... design me one BETTER.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am genuinely surprised that rackmount hardware hidden inside furniture isn't a bigger thing for home networks.

This would settle a lot of arguments in my house.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bonzo posted:

This would settle a lot of arguments in my house.

If you didn't know about them already:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/server-management/rkqmcab12v2
https://www.startech.com/en-us/server-management/rkwoodcab12

The first one is the discontinued one, keep an eye out for it secondhand I guess, the latter is the one still in production.

I don't know of anyone that also makes ready-made examples of the same, it's just a bunch of repurposed Ikea furniture that don't really appeal to me, if anyone else does know of any, please chime in.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 27, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
A $15k switch connected to a $60 edgerouter x...
That's one hell of a switch to score from work.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We're moving into a new house that had fiber from att (bay area) and want to upgrade our router to take advantage of the new speeds since our current one won't be able to. The service comes with a combo modem /router for free but we've been told by the install techs that the router part sucks.

I checked out the first post but it all seemed to be from 2018 unless I misread. We'll be a 3 to 4 member household with a normal amount of comps / tablets per person operatoring primarily on wifi since there's only one room with ethernet wired to currently. My partner found the two below options in his research, are there any goon reccomendations?

TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 Router(Archer AX6000) -802.11ax Wireless 8-Stream Gaming Router, 2.5G WAN, 8 Gigabit LAN Ports, MU-MIMO, 1.8GHz Quad-Core CPU https://a.co/d/g80m1KD)

Cheaper option that won’t scale up as well if we ever get better fiber: Netgear Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi 6 Router (RAX45-100NAS) https://a.co/d/44LmIKC

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
A few years back, my parents wanted wifi out in their garage (well outside the range of the wifi in the house). I asked on this thread and ended up doing a powerline adapter with the wifi in the garage having the same SSID in the house. It has been seamless for my parents and works great.

I was over at my aunt's last week and she was having issues that her wifi covers most of the house, but drops off near one end of it. Can I do the same thing I did before? Install a powerline adapter, place it on a separate channel, and set the SSID the same? Are the two networks going to fight eachother?

It looks like a wifi extender would have a new SSID and I would rather keep it simple for them (instead of having them manually flip from one SSID to the other).

I didn't think to look at the router when I was out there. It sounds like she has had it for quite a while, so I don't know that it would support mesh.

Thanks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Spikes32 posted:

We're moving into a new house that had fiber from att (bay area) and want to upgrade our router to take advantage of the new speeds since our current one won't be able to. The service comes with a combo modem /router for free but we've been told by the install techs that the router part sucks.

I checked out the first post but it all seemed to be from 2018 unless I misread. We'll be a 3 to 4 member household with a normal amount of comps / tablets per person operatoring primarily on wifi since there's only one room with ethernet wired to currently. My partner found the two below options in his research, are there any goon reccomendations?

TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 Router(Archer AX6000) -802.11ax Wireless 8-Stream Gaming Router, 2.5G WAN, 8 Gigabit LAN Ports, MU-MIMO, 1.8GHz Quad-Core CPU https://a.co/d/g80m1KD)

Cheaper option that won’t scale up as well if we ever get better fiber: Netgear Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi 6 Router (RAX45-100NAS) https://a.co/d/44LmIKC

i know it's not what you mainly posted about, but if you're in att's coverage area you should check with sonic.net

they resell att service for usually lower rates, and even if the rate is the same their tech folks are way better. plus they're local (santa rosa)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
drat, I got a 18RU Mid-depth Tripp-Lite cabinet wall-mounted in my garage, it was like $500 from dell, shipped at the time. Now they look like $900 from amazon. insane.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Spikes32 posted:

I feel like it's important to note that a lot of these routers which advertise insanely high wireless bandwidth are not only doing the standard assumption of theoretical speeds being real, but they're also expecting that every single channel on every single radio is being used at once.

The TP-link has a 4x4 5GHz radio and a 4x4 2.4GHz, whereas the Netgear is 4x4/2x2 respectively. No client you ever use at home is going to be simultaneously connected to and load balancing across the 5GHz band and the 2.4GHz band. Moreover, it's an uncommon client that has more than a 2x2 radio and a rare one with more than 3x3. In practice, the only substantial performance difference that you would be likely to get between these models would be from one having a better antenna configuration or something else that improves the signal, or if you have multiple clients going full-throttle at once and MU-MIMO comes into play (with the 2.4GHz band).

Also, Wi-Fi 6E is rolling out currently and Wi-Fi 7 is around the corner. I would in your position err on the side of caution and buy something that doesn't waste money on capabilities you won't notice, and if you get better fiber in the future then find something at that point which will allow it to reach its potential.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 28, 2022

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Successfully fished cat6 from a bedroom to the living room and wired it up with keystone wall plates so I can move the router to a better spot for whole home coverage and still have a wired connection for the desktop

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, for anyone who owns their own home I'd really recommend running some cable or getting a quote for someone else to do it. It's not cheap/easy compared to a new router, but no new Wi-Fi version or increased antenna count will compare to the performance gain that you get from wiring everything that doesn't move and getting APs mounted in line of sight of where you use mobile devices.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, for anyone who owns their own home I'd really recommend running some cable or getting a quote for someone else to do it. It's not cheap/easy compared to a new router, but no new Wi-Fi version or increased antenna count will compare to the performance gain that you get from wiring everything that doesn't move and getting APs mounted in line of sight of where you use mobile devices.

Yeah I paid about $4000 total in Nov, 2020 for a whole house job including:

(All from a MDF in a half-rack in my garage)
* 6x dual-runs of cat6 to gang boxes, 2x cables into each of 3 Bedrooms, Living Room, Den and Office (no termination)
* 3x runs of cat6 to ceilings for APs (no termination)
* 6x runs of cat6 to exterior/soffit drops for security cams + termination into RJ45 + mounting of security cams (i don't like heights)

For a total of 21 runs of cat6 thru the house. It's been ... amazing. (I did all the punchdown/terminations except for the security cams. still took a 2 day visit, I think the cost was really reasonable)

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We just bought the place so getting cables run throughout the house will take us a while but thanks for the reminder on how helpful it will be.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Spikes32 posted:

We just bought the place so getting cables run throughout the house will take us a while but thanks for the reminder on how helpful it will be.

Yeah I did it immediately after buying this place. It's the best time to have it done.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Wiring tangent: We are renting a home and I am trying to avoid holes in the wall, paint damage, looking like a slob with cables dangling all over, or spending a bunch of money on stuff I'll have to scrap or sell off at a loss in 18-24 months when we buy a house and plan out a more permanent solution.

I've settled on MoCa for room-to-room trunking as nearly half of the house has coax outlets, but within the office I have a number of devices I would like to wire: 4 laptops (work + personal for my wife and myself), a docking station at the digital piano, IP phone (forgot it has passthrough), printer, NAS, Hue bridge. Obviously some of that can be consolidated near the switch, but that's still a half-dozen or more wires crisscrossing the room if I don't use secondary switches at each desk.

I'd love to use a cable raceway like this to run a cable for each potential device in the office, but they all seem to come with permanent adhesive backing already applied. Anyone had any luck putting one up with command strips?

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 28, 2022

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
I'm currently using an old (10 yrs?) ASUS b/g/n router. It works ok, but I'd like to: (i) get better wifi coverage in the corners of my house; and (ii) generally get back onto a supported product. We typically have 2 computers hardwired to the router + 2 wifi laptops + 1 tv + a few random IoT devices. Don't need parental controls, etc. Only moderately tech savy.

Interesting, my builder appears to have used cat-5e for the (unusued) phone wiring. The various phone jacks appear to be in decent places, potential converage wise, albeit in the nicer areas of the house (i.e., the solution shouldn't look too techy/gamey)

Should I try to add cable ends to that cat-5 cable + buy a PoE switch + buy some POE access points? Buy one of those "mesh" kits (and if so, any specific checkbox features)? Just a new router??

Budget $300-ish

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Depends on what they did with wiring up the phone jacks. Do they all come back to a central demarc or are they just daisy-chained in between each jack? If the latter you’re SOL for using them.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

devmd01 posted:

Depends on what they did with wiring up the phone jacks. Do they all come back to a central demarc or are they just daisy-chained in between each jack? If the latter you’re SOL for using them.

Every time I've seen builder-installed cat5 jacks they were set for phone, terminated in a little segment of 110 block (or hell, i've seen 66 block), usually wired with all the center pairs together. sometimes two lines, but rarely ever in TIA568

if the OP hasn't found it yet they should def look for that access panel imho. sometimes in crazy places like master bedroom closet or the laundry nook or w/e

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

devmd01 posted:

They are all seperate; there is a bundle of 4 hanging next to my fuse box.

No idea which is which, but I assume I can figure out that once I add the clip things to the ends.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I stand corrected, amazing that they'd be just left dangling. Wonder if someone ripped out the old patch block

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I have this router: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RTN12_D1/techspec/
Its an old piece of poo poo and I know it. It says it has a 10/100 wan port, does this mean that my internet can never exceed 100 mbps, as I now think after some googling? I have a 600 mbps internet and was wondering why it isn’t going any faster than my previous 300mbps.

Oh my god if its true. Many alternative routers that I'm looking at have WAN ports that aren't any better. I’m posting to triple check here because it really looks like most routers sold today are total garbage. What the hell is the point of having a 300mbps WLAN if the WAN port is only 100mbps? :psyduck: I mean I guess it works for playing video games in LAN but advertising WLAN speeds that exceed WAN port speeds is bordering on fraud in my opinion.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Yep, that thing will never do more than 100mbps out to the internet (or any wired connection for that matter) and will be the bottleneck if your internet connection is more than 100mbit

What routers are you looking at? I feel like you have to be trying pretty hard these days to find something that doesn’t do gigabit wired.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 29, 2022

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Rudager posted:

Yep, that thing will never do more than 100mbps out to the internet and will be the bottleneck if your internet connection is more than 100mbit

What routers are you looking at? I feel like you have to be trying pretty hard these days to find something that doesn’t do gigabit wired.

I was looking at the cheaper ones sold at my local nerd store. They actually sell the model I am using, which I found funny. I now set my sights on TP-LINK Archer AX1500 Dual-band, as that has the 1gbps wan and lan ports and WLAN. My apartment was built with cat6 cables so no point in having a better one, but it seems to have a reasonable "room for growth" in terms of internet development with the wifi 6 capability and over 1gbps wifi. It will probably work just fine as an access point in a basement 5 or 8 years from now, I bet.

EDIT:
Does having wlan capacity over wan capacity still help because it could probably help with lost packets, poor signal or noise? (Which is all packet loss as far as I know)

EDIT2:

Here is an example of a router sold in Finland: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/219343/Asus-RT-AC51U-Dual-band-WiFi-reititin

Advertised with "Wifi speeds up to 750mbps!" The average person will be convinced and think it's a great deal, not understanding that the "WAN x 1 10/100, LAN x 4 RJ-45 10/100, USB 2.0 x 1" in the specs means that the router can only push 100mbps through the cable into the internet, being 86.7 % slower than the customer thinks.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 29, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Keisari posted:

EDIT:
Does having wlan capacity over wan capacity still help because it could probably help with lost packets, poor signal or noise? (Which is all packet loss as far as I know)

EDIT2:

Here is an example of a router sold in Finland: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/219343/Asus-RT-AC51U-Dual-band-WiFi-reititin

Advertised with "Wifi speeds up to 750mbps!" The average person will be convinced and think it's a great deal, not understanding that the "WAN x 1 10/100, LAN x 4 RJ-45 10/100, USB 2.0 x 1" in the specs means that the router can only push 100mbps through the cable into the internet, being 86.7 % slower than the customer thinks.

Having a WLAN theoretical bandwidth which is greater than the WAN port isn't a total waste, because it helps ensure that you're getting the most you can out of that WAN port even when you don't have a great signal.

Also, that 750Mbps number would be misleading regardless because it's adding the two bands together and rounding 733 up to 750. I have a 1x1 AC/Wi-Fi 5 NIC in my desktop, so when I connect to the AP nearby it says it's doing 433Mbps as would the 1x1 5Ghz radio in that ASUS router. The actual bandwidth I get to speedtest.net is 265Mbps, which at >50% of the theoretical number is honestly surprisingly good. Still, getting limited from 265 down to 100 by the wired port would also be pretty disappointing.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 29, 2022

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Just installed my new router. My download speed went from 90mbps wired to 418 mbps wireless, and 570mbps wired. That’s a six-fold increase! Thanks! Will never cut corners on a router again!

Eletriarnation posted:

Having a WLAN theoretical bandwidth which is greater than the WAN port isn't a total waste, because it helps ensure that you're getting the most you can out of that WAN port even when you don't have a great signal.

Also, that 750Mbps number would be misleading regardless because it's adding the two bands together and rounding 733 up to 750. I have a 1x1 AC/Wi-Fi 5 NIC in my desktop, so when I connect to the AP nearby it says it's doing 433Mbps as would the 1x1 5Ghz radio in that ASUS router. The actual bandwidth I get to speedtest.net is 265Mbps, which at >50% of the theoretical number is honestly surprisingly good. Still, getting limited from 265 down to 100 by the wired port would also be pretty disappointing.

Ok, good to know. Let's say if my routers max WLAN capacity is 300mbps, and I have 600mbps internet, can two devices use the 300mbps WLAN at full capacity, therefore utilizing the 600mbps to the fullest? Or is the 300mbps WLAN capacity “shared” between the devices and therefore the bottleneck in this scenario?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

Wiring tangent: We are renting a home and I am trying to avoid holes in the wall, paint damage, looking like a slob with cables dangling all over, or spending a bunch of money on stuff I'll have to scrap or sell off at a loss in 18-24 months when we buy a house and plan out a more permanent solution.

I've settled on MoCa for room-to-room trunking as nearly half of the house has coax outlets, but within the office I have a number of devices I would like to wire: 4 laptops (work + personal for my wife and myself), a docking station at the digital piano, IP phone (forgot it has passthrough), printer, NAS, Hue bridge. Obviously some of that can be consolidated near the switch, but that's still a half-dozen or more wires crisscrossing the room if I don't use secondary switches at each desk.

I'd love to use a cable raceway like this to run a cable for each potential device in the office, but they all seem to come with permanent adhesive backing already applied. Anyone had any luck putting one up with command strips?

whats wrong with keeping most of this on wifi? you dont need the hue bridge and NAS in the office, you can keep them in the basement.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I just had FiOS installed but the provided router isn't letting me configure ports, and I need one open for an application I run. Should I just swap over to my own router? As far as I can tell I am not being billed for the router.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I just had FiOS installed but the provided router isn't letting me configure ports, and I need one open for an application I run. Should I just swap over to my own router? As far as I can tell I am not being billed for the router.

Which router do you have?

Ports should be configurable on most of their routers, it’s just a confusing mess how to.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

RoboBoogie posted:

whats wrong with keeping most of this on wifi? you dont need the hue bridge and NAS in the office, you can keep them in the basement.

We only have attics here and they are eleventy kghjfhfpillion degrees 9 months out of the year. Besides, the NAS and Hue bridge can go on a shelf next to the switch (or on the TV stand at the other end of the MoCa link), they're not really an issue.

Anyways nothing is all that wrong with relying on wifi except my wife is 100% remote and I am 60/40 hybrid and the option to be plugged at our desks would be nice. Right now I'm leaning towards running a single cable to each desk with command clips and leaving the personal laptops on wifi, but the cable hider is only $20 so I was curious if anyone had managed to do a temporary installation. With one of those, 6 cables isn't much more work than 2-3 :shrug:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2022

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Which router do you have?

Ports should be configurable on most of their routers, it’s just a confusing mess how to.

"CR1000A" is the SKU on the bottom of the router.

edit: I think I actually just found where to change the settings, it was buried behind a page where you had to hit "Apply" before it would go to any other settings.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Keisari posted:

Just installed my new router. My download speed went from 90mbps wired to 418 mbps wireless, and 570mbps wired. That’s a six-fold increase! Thanks! Will never cut corners on a router again!

Ok, good to know. Let's say if my routers max WLAN capacity is 300mbps, and I have 600mbps internet, can two devices use the 300mbps WLAN at full capacity, therefore utilizing the 600mbps to the fullest? Or is the 300mbps WLAN capacity “shared” between the devices and therefore the bottleneck in this scenario?

If the two clients are on different bands (2.4GHz vs. 5GHz) then yes, generally those will be two entirely separate radio interfaces and the router will be able to use both at once. If they're on the same band, then the radio will be dividing its time between them and each client will get only a portion of the maximum. Dual-band clients will generally connect to whichever band will offer the highest speed regardless of other clients, which is usually 5GHz if you have line of sight and moves toward 2.4GHz as you add obstructions. Appliances that don't need much bandwidth like a smart lightbulb or whatever are typically 2.4GHz only.

Also, wireless interface speeds are for transmit and receive combined - your 300Mbps radio can transmit or receive at that speed (theoretically) but if it has to do both it will split time between them just as it would between multiple clients. Wired interfaces typically can do both simultaneously at full speed.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

If the two clients are on different bands (2.4GHz vs. 5GHz) then yes, generally those will be two entirely separate radio interfaces and the router will be able to use both at once. If they're on the same band, then the radio will be dividing its time between them and each client will get only a portion of the maximum. Dual-band clients will generally connect to whichever band will offer the highest speed regardless of other clients, which is usually 5GHz if you have line of sight and moves toward 2.4GHz as you add obstructions. Appliances that don't need much bandwidth like a smart lightbulb or whatever are typically 2.4GHz only.

Also, wireless interface speeds are for transmit and receive combined - your 300Mbps radio can transmit or receive at that speed (theoretically) but if it has to do both it will split time between them just as it would between multiple clients. Wired interfaces typically can do both simultaneously at full speed.

That's interesting. So extra wlan is useful to a point, even without packet loss. Thanks!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I just swapped over to FiOS yesterday from cable, and I seem to be having an issue with Google Drive backup with larger files. Anything larger than a few megabytes or so are being very slow, and GMail/Outlook web client is also fairly slow to load sometimes. Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I just swapped over to FiOS yesterday from cable, and I seem to be having an issue with Google Drive backup with larger files. Anything larger than a few megabytes or so are being very slow, and GMail/Outlook web client is also fairly slow to load sometimes. Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Try a router reboot before anything else.

Do a speed test (google non flash) and see what comes about for upload.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Swung by work today and grabbed three more fans for the 3850 from another one going on the recycling pile. With the second, unused power supply and extra fans, i reckon this switch will probably be good for another ten years. Unless something drastically changes with my needs and technology, 1gbit is plenty for internal LAN for now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How much power is that 3850 using? I avoid running gear like that at home because old enterprise gear is notoriously power hungry.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Try a router reboot before anything else.

Do a speed test (google non flash) and see what comes about for upload.

Reset router, tried a few speed tests...
FiOS speed test says 312 down, 330 up
Speedtest.net 308 down, 343 up
M-Lab test says 298.7 down, 0.98 up...

I checked dropbox, and nothing is uploading to dropbox as well.

E: the above was for a wired desktop..I tried M-Lab on a laptop on wireless and the speed was 290/130, phone test on M-Lab was similar.

E: uploads to drive from laptop wifi work fine. I'm very confused

E: Wifi on the desktop has fine upload speeds (not fast, but the expected speed for placement of the desktop relative to the router), and is uploading files to drive. What would cause slow upload speed to only one aspect of the internet, but only over wire, unless the issue is some QoS setting?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 30, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skipdogg posted:

How much power is that 3850 using? I avoid running gear like that at home because old enterprise gear is notoriously power hungry.

Base power load is 87W, then with four access points and one camera plugged in, that adds up to 126W minimum. The other cameras are powered off the upstairs switch.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Reset router, tried a few speed tests...
FiOS speed test says 312 down, 330 up
Speedtest.net 308 down, 343 up
M-Lab test says 298.7 down, 0.98 up...

I checked dropbox, and nothing is uploading to dropbox as well.

E: the above was for a wired desktop..I tried M-Lab on a laptop on wireless and the speed was 290/130, phone test on M-Lab was similar.

E: uploads to drive from laptop wifi work fine. I'm very confused

E: Wifi on the desktop has fine upload speeds (not fast, but the expected speed for placement of the desktop relative to the router), and is uploading files to drive. What would cause slow upload speed to only one aspect of the internet, but only over wire, unless the issue is some QoS setting?

That speed test result is consistent with your issue. So it’s not just one service. I suspect if you uploaded a large file elsewhere (you could test like mega or something) you’d see the same result.

Upload speed is fine in burst but drops off with any sustain.

You should try a different router port, then replace the Ethernet wire if that’s possible as first steps since the WiFi is working on the same machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That speed test result is consistent with your issue. So it’s not just one service. I suspect if you uploaded a large file elsewhere (you could test like mega or something) you’d see the same result.

Upload speed is fine in burst but drops off with any sustain.

You should try a different router port, then replace the Ethernet wire if that’s possible as first steps since the WiFi is working on the same machine.

I've tried a different router port, and even a different computer on Ethernet and same issue, but not on wifi. I tried my own router and speeds through the Ethernet was fine.

FiOS is having me get a new router, but I imagine it's some sort of software issue with the router for QoS prioritization? I found a few QoS settings and tried disabling them but no change.

I just tried Mega and same issue over Ethernet. Why would speed test/Verizon speed test work fine but not the M-Lab one? I have noticed that image uploads to discord go through but they are a bit slow.