Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

if the broad dies as the inciting incident how is it 1k pages

It's a mystery, the main character is a private investigator, and every book starts with someone dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how the christ does she get 1200 pages out of "well so much for the tolerant left"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

It's a mystery, the main character is a private investigator, and every book starts with someone dying

what, really? all the promotional material I've seen explicitly mentions that the killer(s) was an SJW, where is the mystery

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I assume it'd 50% that the explicit identity of the murderer is unknown and 50% that critics don't give a poo poo about spoiling it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

“I should make it really clear after some of the things that have happened the last year that this is not depicting [that],” she said.

“I had written the book before certain things happened to me online,” she continued. “I said to my husband, ‘I think everyone is going to see this as a response to what happened to me,’ but it genuinely wasn’t. The first draft of the book was finished at the point certain things happened.”
lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

indigi posted:

what, really? all the promotional material I've seen explicitly mentions that the killer(s) was an SJW, where is the mystery

The mystery is which SJW Caricature ultimately did it.

Was it the neon haired pixie with purple lipstick who works at a vegan bookstore?

Was it the Soy Boy who makes money crafting "birth certificates" for people's pets?

OR WAS IT THE EVIL MAN WHO WEARS A SKIRT AND SAYS HE'S A WOMAN! IT WAS HIM HE'S SO EVIL I HATE HIM!

Zero percent chance the "mystery" part of the mystery novel actually makes sense and it's just 1000 pages of her screaming about how evil some "trans" strawman is.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Rowling is also still publishing under her Robert Galbraith pen name and presumably doesn't understand the irony.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

1stGear posted:

Rowling is also still publishing under her Robert Galbraith pen name and presumably doesn't understand the irony.

That's probably a financial decision at this point.
The Rowling name on a bookjacket right now would be infinitely more poisonous to sales

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's probably a financial decision at this point.
The Rowling name on a bookjacket right now would be infinitely more poisonous to sales

Imagining the guy who just buys all these books completely unaware of who's writing them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Imagining the guy who just buys all these books completely unaware of who's writing them

there are approximately zero people reading those books who aren't fully aware it's JKR; they "leaked" her identity pretty much instantly and it's intricately tied to the series' branding

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

this week I read the first trade for Maniac of New York read the preview to see a very accurate portrayal of how a slasher would play out in our reality.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Crain posted:

Literally: "What if I, Joanne Rowling, were the actual victim of transphobia, and that I, the hero of reality, were the one facing attacks that trans activists are currently facing in reality? "

uhhhh it's called having an imagination!!!! last time i checked i thought that was a good thing!!!!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1564674573261586442

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Zendaya is Meechee???

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
GET THAT BAG MR GANDHI

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is For All Mankind trash? A friend of mine started watching it but I can't bring myself to do it, knowing that it will just be obnoxious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its not trash but it has ups and downs and the third season is more downs than ups the ratio for the first two is a lot better

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Reread the past few pages and it was missing this gif

https://i.imgur.com/gN3vAnY.gifv

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hypnolobster posted:

Is For All Mankind trash? A friend of mine started watching it but I can't bring myself to do it, knowing that it will just be obnoxious.

Seasons 1 and 2 are excellent. I haven't seen the 3rd yet.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I just started it and its mostly good if you're into the subject matter. Agree with earlier assessment that the writing is kinda corny tbh

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

watched the first ep and while probably accurate to the time it was hard not to laugh at americans weeping seeing footage of a cosmonaut on the moon proclaiming the superiority of the marxist leninist way of life

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

watched the first ep and while probably accurate to the time it was hard not to laugh at americans weeping seeing footage of a cosmonaut on the moon proclaiming the superiority of the marxist leninist way of life

Wait'll you see what gets the spooky cliffhanger music at the end of episode 2 lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqIas3bYhg&feature=emb_title

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I liked For All Mankind but pooped out in the second season. the writing and characters remind me of Friday Night Lights and I like keeping track of the diverging timeline. the politics are lame but the actual science poo poo is neat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

the politics work really well when the soviets are this incomprehensible alien other but the quality of their depiction drops dramatically when they graduate from guests to regulars in season three

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

finally someone has the guts to copy NGE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/razibkhan/status/1564382108873011205?s=20&t=N06tog6Fp-Rmd2raD3X6BQ

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

she did "regime change" the east and leave it entirely destabilized when it was no longer conducive to her goals so... yeah that all tracks.

I love watching libs go "I can't believe they so suddenly made her evil"

They wrote it off as ‘Oh ya she just send a single stud mercenary back to take care of everything, bing bong so simple.’ When what should have happened is them abandoning Westeros for the east.

I mean were making it pretty obvious that her quest was an obsession based on long dead dynasty and no one even remembered her in the west. Meanwhile the western families were about to be destroyed by whitewalkers which were basically a lesson in the hubris of politics and conniving in the face of absolute annihilation. Call them a stand in for climate change or whatever.

I was hoping that the whitewalkers would just.. win. And our heroes would be forced to abandon Westeros for their established dominion in the east. Danny would refuse and would either die by ice zombies with all the other throne obsessed idiots, or her own men after turning on them for defying her.

Anyways I’ll have a chocolate frosty

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

There were just so many established themes, worldbuilding, and rules they ignored or forgot like a Starbucks cup left in the frame.

Even single scenes like when Danny’s dragon sees her dead, sees Jon over the body, and decides it’s the THRONE’S fault, and melts it alone to teach everyone a valuable lesson on the pursuits of power and flies back to its home planet.

OR it could have roasted EVERYTHING because it’s a rage filled murder machine avenging its mother, and we remember that true Targaeryns are fireproof, and Jon is a Targaeryn! He then emerges from the ashes a defeated man and fucks off to the wall. A tragic ending using poo poo they drilled into our heads over 8 seasons that they completely forgot about.

Durf has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Aug 31, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dany going crazy is like a lot of big media that gets released any more where it's thematically interesting and for some people that will be enough but it's let down by the people making it just sort of filming their first draft and not doing any of the hard work of getting the story to wotk. It's the same thing with The Last Jedi, The Matrix 4, a lot of MCU movies.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Also this better have people clipping through roads and cops appearing out of thin air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqIas3bYhg

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Durf posted:

There were just so many established themes, worldbuilding, and rules they ignored or forgot like a Starbucks cup left in the frame.

"Themes are for eighth-grade book reports" -David Benioff

The reason the show went to poo poo after they ran out of book material is because, for all his faults, GRRM does understand how storytelling works. Benioff and Weiss do not.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Dany going crazy is like a lot of big media that gets released any more where it's thematically interesting and for some people that will be enough but it's let down by the people making it just sort of filming their first draft and not doing any of the hard work of getting the story to wotk. It's the same thing with The Last Jedi, The Matrix 4, a lot of MCU movies.

Any time a villain has understandable motivations or even has a good point, they must suddenly go crazy and decide everyone needs to die, justifying extreme action being taken against them. It’s lazy as gently caress.

Without it Batman would just be another cop jailing and beating up the mentally ill.

1stGear posted:

The reason the show went to poo poo after they ran out of book material is because, for all his faults, GRRM does understand how storytelling works. Benioff and Weiss do not.

Oh WOW

Let’s put our billion dollar franchise in the hands of a real life Garth Marenghi

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The first scene I said "ok actually that was stupid" was when Dany crowd surfed amongst coloureds. That may have been S3. Unfortunately it began to quickly get bad at that point.

I came to the realization of where the show was going and bailed when they invented some random goon with double daggers to 1v1 John Snow in Craster's keep like a video game mini-boss for no reason at all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

1stGear posted:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
watching hapthor bjornsson lifting videos gets 100% of the good game of thrones content across while being much less obnoxious to listen to

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zvahl posted:

watching hapthor bjornsson lifting videos gets 100% of the good game of thrones content across while being much less obnoxious to listen to

unless hapthor bjornsson is the redhead wild lady and they lift topless I disagree that it gets 100% of the good GoT content

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i only the other day learned that Matthew Holness, the alter ego of Garth Marenghi, actually is a pretty good horror author and also directed the hosed up movie Possum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

Reread the past few pages and it was missing this gif

https://i.imgur.com/gN3vAnY.gifv

lol