Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If it's called Magic 30 they should charge $30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's called a Virtual Ticket because it's Virtually Worthless

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can’t believe you have to pay money for things in 2022 what a scam

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

This but unironically.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
There's no such thing as currency on Dominaria

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I get access to Mark Rosewater's Chaturbate room AND Dr. Richard Garfield? Nice.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

My understanding (at least from that video) is that the ticketed events have tables set aside for "free play". If that's not the case, there's a different argument to be made, but the 2 dudes in the video hadn't even looked at what made up the packages they were looking at prior to doing the Mad Reaction Veideo and a ton of what they said was factually incorrect, so idk what is actually included myself.

I've heard that about events in the past, but from people that would go I'd always heard that no one would really be playing there for the most part. Those were also the events that were replaced by Magicfests tho so admittedly it might be different at this event?

I never end up going to any of those things admittedly because I just don't like playing super competitive magic (or, well I guess it's mostly bad experiences with some of the people that play super competitive magic) so :shrug:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

big cummers ONLY posted:

I don't make enough money to not think about value.

E: oh, you addressed that by saying I should pick another hobby. Cool thanks

It's an entirely optional event where you pay to get in and then pay for merch and if you have to think hard about throwing an extra 50 bucks for luxury items then yeah, it's probably not for you

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Kashuno posted:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=3549&type=card

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

could I ask garfield about artifact there

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Eej posted:

It's an entirely optional event where you pay to get in and then pay for merch and if you have to think hard about throwing an extra 50 bucks for luxury items then yeah, it's probably not for you

I don't understand why you're telling me this as if I don't already know it. All I've said is that I agree with the premise that it's not worth the money and should cost less.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Paul Zuvella posted:

The price of 'events' is way up post COVID, and was on an upward trend regardless even in 2019/2020 which is frustrating.

Some concerts or conventions that would have been 30 bucks 10 years ago are 100+ today. Not exactly sure what it was aside from a pandemic that caused it to rocket so much, aside from people just being more exploitable these days, People will usually pay for stuff they really want to attend without regards to the price, and "digital tickets" with very miniscule but appealing perks have started popping up more frequently.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SCG events are free and you just pay to enter the tournaments. I think that's a better way to go

As a consequence of that SCG events weren't often held in big cities where event space is super expensive. I'd much rather have an event with a $50 door fee in Boston than a free event in Worcester or Providence where id have to work out transportation costs + lodging for multi-day events.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Eej posted:

Sick if you have to ask you can't afford it post.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyway on an unrelated note I'm ready to sleeve up a deck that has several dual faced cards in it, I have a bunch of those official substitute cards so if I just write the names of the cards on those and sleeve them up, have the real cards on the side is that sufficient for it to be tournament legal?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BabyRyoga posted:

The price of 'events' is way up post COVID, and was on an upward trend regardless even in 2019/2020 which is frustrating.

Some concerts or conventions that would have been 30 bucks 10 years ago are 100+ today. Not exactly sure what it was aside from a pandemic that caused it to rocket so much, aside from people just being more exploitable these days, People will usually pay for stuff they really want to attend without regards to the price, and "digital tickets" with very miniscule but appealing perks have started popping up more frequently.

There's a lot of factors. Labor costs have gone up, as have material prices. Flat out: Everything is more expensive. This is like boomers complaining about how the cinema used to show a double feature for a nickel.

Is a free event a reasonable expectation?: No, not really. Especially not in a city where anyone would want to have one.
Is M30 overpriced?: Compared to its contemporaries, yes.

It would be more in-line with other offerings at $75-100.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kalel posted:

I could crush a maro-milk tea rbn

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Sick if you have to ask you can't afford it post.

We are in the hobbies forum after all!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Anyway on an unrelated note I'm ready to sleeve up a deck that has several dual faced cards in it, I have a bunch of those official substitute cards so if I just write the names of the cards on those and sleeve them up, have the real cards on the side is that sufficient for it to be tournament legal?

Yeah - Its perfectly fine to use double-faced cards as is in sleeves, too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

There's a lot of factors. Labor costs have gone up, as have material prices. Flat out: Everything is more expensive. This is like boomers complaining about how the cinema used to show a double feature for a nickel.

Is a free event a reasonable expectation?: No, not really. Especially not in a city where anyone would want to have one.

Everything gets more expensive all the time but wages have been stagnant for years, it's no wonder that people complain

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yes,. This is how you're supposed to do it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tinaun posted:

Yeah I know I can use them but I just want to avoid having to take them out of the sleeve and flip them around, plus some sleeves aren't 100% opaque so you can still barely see the card through. Thanks for the answer!

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes,. This is how you're supposed to do it.

Thanks as well :)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've always been curious, do players just reach in and flip the card manually? What if my finger acid dissolves my 30 cent werewolf? Wait, how did I get in this tournament

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tinaun posted:

Keep in mind that if you use sleeves that are in the smallest bit transparent in a competitive event, someone may try to get a gameloss/dq out of it. The types of sleeves that are a small bit transparent are not always obvious.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've always been curious, do players just reach in and flip the card manually? What if my finger acid dissolves my 30 cent werewolf? Wait, how did I get in this tournament

I've always just sleeved up the double face card

But mostly because I can never seem to get the dang checklist cards from local stores. I could probably buy them online though..

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

Depends on the player.
Some players pull it out a little bit because they assume you know.
I usually keep extra copies of the card in my deckbox in texted clear sleeves, backwards. (so the front face looks frosted over), so that when it transforms I just replace the card on the table. And because they're clear i don't worry about accidentally shuffling it in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Keep in mind that if you use sleeves that are in the smallest bit transparent in a competitive event, someone may try to get a gameloss/dq out of it. The types of sleeves that are a small bit transparent are not always obvious.

Yeah you have to use black sleeves. Which is so worth not having to use the checklist cards.

I guess WOTC isn't doing the thing where the set doesn't come out on Arena until after prerelease weekend anymore?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

Yeah you have to use black sleeves. Which is so worth not having to use the checklist cards.

I guess WOTC isn't doing the thing where the set doesn't come out on Arena until after prerelease weekend anymore?

It's been releasing the same weekend - if not a few days before - prerelease weekend for a while now. Not sure what that means for the MTGO release date.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kashuno posted:

Icatian Moneychanger implies Life is a currency as the card's mechanic is, essentially, a noncompounding 33% interest rate loan to Icatian Moneychanger. And it dies to repay the loan.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

So card are you most looking forward to seeing rotating and why is it Goldspan Dragon

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
But if Icatian Moneychanger gets Skeletonized you cannot collect on the debt as skeletons do not respect financial institutions.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But if Icatian Moneychanger gets Skeletonized you cannot collect on the debt as skeletons do not respect financial institutions.

What about Crypt-o-currency then?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sickening posted:

We are in the hobbies forum after all!

Trad Games is not the hobby forum. If you want to do hobbies, that's Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses. Trad Games is Serious Business! That means there has to be a calculable Return On Investment (ROI) for every money:fun transaction.

Anyway all jokes aside, it's fine for someone to post a link to a youtube about the magic convention and it's OK to discuss whether the cost is too high, but everyone should understand that the value of a thing at a given price is often subjective. If it is too expensive for someone, that doesn't make that someone cheap or show that they're in the wrong hobby; likewise if it's a trivial expense or worth it for someone that doesn't automatically make them a whale or a spendthrift. Please pretend like the other people in this thread are your friends instead of your enemies, even if the opposite is true.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I'm going to my first prerelease this weekend, and I was wondering what do I need to bring with me? Do I need sleeves and a play mat? Anything else?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

a water bottle and an energy bar. and something to hold your cards because the prerelease boxes have been getting more "green" (read: less functional) of late

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a drink, a light snack, hand sanitizer.

Some way to track life, spindown is fine for this, maybe pen and paper if you wish to be meticulous.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Toshimo posted:

There is a clear difference between inflation and exploitation. Yes, prices will always go up over time as the cost of everything increases, but the curve for entertainment events is closer to exponential in the last decade than gradual.

Thankfully, stuff like conventions and gaming related things usually aren't nearly as bad as live entertainment like concerts. Going from there, general live entertainment is no where near as bad as "festivals", which are trending towards involving human sacrifice sometime in the next few years.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

"Access to merchandise" lol gently caress off

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lord Banana posted:

I'm going to my first prerelease this weekend, and I was wondering what do I need to bring with me? Do I need sleeves and a play mat? Anything else?

Sleeves are always good, playmat is optional depending on how clean the store is. I always bring a water bottle, and would bring hand sanitizer and a mask if I'd played anywhere in person since 2020. My FLGS sells drinks and snacks and is in walking distance of several fast food places and a grocery store so I usually stress other things too much, but if you're not close to food and they allow outside snacks I'd bring something to eat for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnny Truant posted:

"Access to merchandise" lol gently caress off

Wait until you see what the load-bearing asterisk on Access is.