Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Some of the mechanics are fun/interesting like the jumping or defusing the bomb, but I hate hate hate random bs like her teleporting out of bursts to the other side of the room. Also feels like most of her attacks are unavoidable, through huge AoEs or no tells/window to react. How people do this poo poo without a shield I don't know. Unless there's a trick to all these I'm overlooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Hmm it looks like the aloy mail only went out if you were active when she launched. My mailbox has nothing going back before I came back this summer. I'm pretty sure I got to adventure rank 20 before I quit, but also I will survive missing another bow character.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Uh, there's a jumping mech in the Raiden fight? This is what Zhong does to you, I genuinely have no idea about anything other than the electro instant kill.

Did my first round of Sumaru dailies today - good stuff! Like the bosses and domains I've done so far, they were a long way from all the "gently caress yous" of Inazuma.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

There's even an achievement for not getting hit by it!

The Raiden fight is annoying but not too bad, I hate the Signora fight though. Curse that heat mechanic meant to punish Zhongli havers, I didn't even roll him.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I just dodge through the rings :confused:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

valuum posted:

Uh, there's a jumping mech in the Raiden fight? This is what Zhong does to you, I genuinely have no idea about anything other than the electro instant kill.

Did my first round of Sumaru dailies today - good stuff! Like the bosses and domains I've done so far, they were a long way from all the "gently caress yous" of Inazuma.

Yeah, it's how you get the Death Proof challenger V achievement. You can bunnyhop over the trivajra ETERNITY IS IN MY HANDS attack, since they're strictly ground waves -- you may remember it from the previously useless anti-raiden-shogun training MIko put you through? It can be a bit of a challenge to find a good spot to hurdle the triple pulse finisher without the Kazuha launch or Venti wind pillar, but it can be done.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

No Wave posted:

The reason I like the boss, a lot, is that you dont really have to but all the different moves means she doesnt feel stale like the azhdaha fight (having 3 attacks she does every fight - clones, this is the final calamity, and jump rope, makes for a nice pause in between the more chaotic sections). I am super happy/impressed with the fight and if future weeklies are close to as high effort I'll be blown away.

I don't think I've seen her do clones in weeks, not since I started bringing Heizou to that fight.

Also, bring Heizou to that fight.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Eimi posted:

It's level 8 and he's full hp build, I'm just really bad. He's only 80/80 I didn't take him through that last ascension yet. Also he's got like 46k hp.

Huh that's kind of odd. I'm also in the "dodge? What's that?" crowd, and so long as I'm proactive about refreshing the shield before it goes down, I don't have any issues. Using food that buffs both DEF and shield strength will help - I don't remember the specifics of how it works, but Zhongli's shield will go down faster for a character with low def than one with high def. If you can run geo resonance that will also help the shield tank more hits.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
If the active character protected by the shield is low level or has unusually low defense even ZL shield wont last that long, so that could be the issue.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I use zhongli and his shields but still dodge when I can. However the game does not freeze or stop enemies from attacking you when you're locked into cut in animations like Itto's burst, so it really helps to have that extra breathing room.
It also helps for those situations where the game decides to catch you on something or not show you the enemy winding up a big attack.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Did the archon quest Act 2 last night and jesus fuckin' christ what a ride. It was definitely rather long but I was pretty engrossed the whole time. Good emotional beats too.

And we got to hear the Traveler actually talk.... sort of! Nahida is actually wonderful, I was sorta unenthused leading up to 3.0 based on her design but she's actually super endearing. I just wanna give this poor girl a hug. It's also refreshing that she's been the most willingly helpful of the archons we've met so far. Venti is just kind of a wild card and helped us incidentally, Zhongli was mostly too busy quitting his job and keeping his mouth shut about anything, and Ei was... Ei. Nahida just immediately being a bro is great. Anyways we better find a cure for Eleazar because Collei & Dunyarzard deserve better.

Anyways Sumeru confirmed for the best region currently in the game. Sorry Liyue, you had a long run.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Did the archon quest Act 2 last night and jesus fuckin' christ what a ride. It was definitely rather long but I was pretty engrossed the whole time. Good emotional beats too.

And we got to hear the Traveler actually talk.... sort of! Nahida is actually wonderful, I was sorta unenthused leading up to 3.0 based on her design but she's actually super endearing. I just wanna give this poor girl a hug. It's also refreshing that she's been the most willingly helpful of the archons we've met so far. Venti is just kind of a wild card and helped us incidentally, Zhongli was mostly too busy quitting his job and keeping his mouth shut about anything, and Ei was... Ei. Nahida just immediately being a bro is great. Anyways we better find a cure for Eleazar because Collei & Dunyarzard deserve better.

Anyways Sumeru confirmed for the best region currently in the game. Sorry Liyue, you had a long run.

Nahida's situation also makes her very sympathetic, she's clearly being used, and the Akademiya is definitely trying to keep her suppressed, which just makes it easier to sympathize with her and want to see her situation improve. I'm down to help Nahida root out the corruption within her country, far more than I was helping Zhongli or Ayaka.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are people generally just stacking health on Zhongli for the shield, or doing some kind of mix to get some damage from his burst? or does it just kinda depend on what i need more...

I don't really have any great spears. I have The Catch for him right now

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are people generally just stacking health on Zhongli for the shield, or doing some kind of mix to get some damage from his burst? or does it just kinda depend on what i need more...

General use is hp for shield, use the Black Tassel for it's massive hp bonus.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You can build him in a bunch of ways. Most people just stack health for shieldbotting, yes.

I think using his burst is generally a DPS loss due to the animation, so you only actually want to use it if you have his second constellation or if you need the CC or invincibility frames.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There are multiple ways to build him but you can pretty much just stack HP for a titanic shield and he'll be great. The 3-star spear Black Tassel is one of his better weapons for a pure shielder build because it has HP% as its secondary stat.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Yes, the cabbage was well and truly won me over as well. If it weren't for the fact that she's 3 patches away I would definitely hold my gems for her. Especially since it looks like the upcoming 5 stars are gonna be like, the aggravate dps, the bloom dps, etc.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I use full HP with enough crit substats to make Favonius viable, but that's not really necessary. HP/HP/HP Black Tassel is fine.

I'm also considering farming a deepwood HP set for him in the future, he's a decent user of it. It's kinda weird how the game tries to trick you into into giving to a dendro character, when it's better to give to a low-damage utiloty character instead.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've only ever had my Zhongli with an HP% sands and that's always been enough shielding. The rest is to support his burst, which hits like a truck. Favonius to charge it fast and give the team extra energy. Noblesse to make it hit harder and buff the team. Frankly, Millelith is overrated. I don't want to spend time thinking about where I put his rod to always be hitting something.

Granted, I do have C2, which refreshes his shield on bursting, and that could be coloring my experience. I really wish we could turn off constellations, if only for the ability to compare.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 30, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RareAcumen posted:

I just want that unlocked first so that's good to know. I guess I'll just assume that it's the Aranyka sidequest that unlocks the rest of the map then. There's a spot near the Jadebloom boss and a small patch of the desert that Paimon just steers you away from that should be part of this patch.

Yeah it unlocks extra mandatory stuff just by virtue of doing it. I have no idea how far along I am but it's long, it's got plenty of you-will-sit-and-read-paimon-recaps action and it's a good candidate for mashing through while watching Netflix. Not quite Inazuma bad but it ain't great.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just to give an alternate take: I use Zhongli as a burst support. I dodge a lot, but it feels rare that his shield can't be re-upped before the cooldown ends. I also have C2 so that is a reasonable factor, getting a shield on his very low energy cost Q is a giant boost. Being able to delete groups of small mobs with his Q in the overworld is kind of nice. Quickly delete, mine the ore, move on.

His artifacts aren't the best, but they are decent enough:

edit: The Catch is great for burst support, obviously Black Tassel if you want pure shields.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 30, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Favonious lance + max CR + not minding if I get HP rolls (CR/atk/geo). I boxed a lot of noblesse back in the day.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The thing that makes the Raiden fight dogshit to me is the fact that you pretty much need to take an Electro character to it to avoid getting one-shot by the ult where you need to break the orb with an electro ability. It will 1-shot Zhong-Li with like 40 or 50k HP through a fresh shield. I've managed to break it without, but it's very inconsistent.

The jumping over ripples is actually a bit cool, but It still always feels a bit janky when they make avoidance phases in Genshin, something about character movement is universally off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MoonCrab posted:

Yes, the cabbage was well and truly won me over as well. If it weren't for the fact that she's 3 patches away

3.2 was the earliest assumption so I hope you didn't spend last week assuming she was 3.4

Also patches are 5 weeks now for the rest of the year which is 7 days per patch shorter of primos

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hmm, ok thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try to make him a bit bursty, I like watching the meteor fall lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

The thing that makes the Raiden fight dogshit to me is the fact that you pretty much need to take an Electro character to it to avoid getting one-shot by the ult where you need to break the orb with an electro ability. It will 1-shot Zhong-Li with like 40 or 50k HP through a fresh shield. I've managed to break it without, but it's very inconsistent.

The jumping over ripples is actually a bit cool, but It still always feels a bit janky when they make avoidance phases in Genshin, something about character movement is universally off.

idk, i have never even come close to being hit by the big sword and I do raiden with Zhong/XL/Klee/Bennett

it seems very easy to destroy the electro thingy

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

That is identical to my "The A Team" for most weekly bosses and I think I only ever got hit by the big arm sword the first time I fought her and didn't know any of the mechanics. It's pretty easy to break the orb with any elemental attacks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

This is pretty evident for me trying to jump on the bouncy mushrooms, it's like any bit of momentum the character has means they'll launch in that direction when you jump so the best way to do it is to get on the mushroom, fully stop, then jump unless you get lucky on the initial jump onto the thing. It's weird.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Andrast posted:

idk, i have never even come close to being hit by the big sword and I do raiden with Zhong/XL/Klee/Bennett

it seems very easy to destroy the electro thingy

You need to apply 1 Electro or 4 non-Electro to survive, and your energy gets drained at the start. If you have a party that depends on bursts to apply elements or has long cooldown Es and gets caught out of them, it can be panic inducing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

You need to apply 1 Electro or 4 non-Electro to survive, and your energy gets drained at the start. If you have a party that depends on bursts to apply elements or has long cooldown Es and gets caught out of them, it can be panic inducing.

Makes sense, I usually just hit it with Klee a bunch

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

This is pretty evident for me trying to jump on the bouncy mushrooms, it's like any bit of momentum the character has means they'll launch in that direction when you jump so the best way to do it is to get on the mushroom, fully stop, then jump unless you get lucky on the initial jump onto the thing. It's weird.

Trying to make a tight U-turn while gliding is impossible

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you have a Staff of Homa you can give that to him and get some great damage out of his burst too.

He probably works great for damage or HP stacking like Bennet does with normal atk and crit hourglasses and helmets tbh. I haven't had him built to hit anything since the best spear I can give him is a Black Tassel. I don't think he'd get much out of The Catch or a Skyward Spine since his attack talents are still at lvl 1.

Stare-Out posted:

Have you noticed how there's 0 air control in this game unless you're gliding? It feels very weird once you pick up on that.

Mailer posted:

Yeah it unlocks extra mandatory stuff just by virtue of doing it. I have no idea how far along I am but it's long, it's got plenty of you-will-sit-and-read-paimon-recaps action and it's a good candidate for mashing through while watching Netflix. Not quite Inazuma bad but it ain't great.

Thank you, that's the part I really needed to know!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 30, 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I use Klee/Kazu/Zhong/Benny and usually break the shield with a Benny tap > Kazu tap/plunge > Klee normal. Klee's really good for the rock music phase because it's actually just an elemental application phase. Zhongli is good at breaking the anti-shogun training thingies because those take a certain number of hits to break and his spear kick hits tons of times. And if you want to dodge her swings in rock music mode, she has no defense against the dark souls butt-hugging tactic.

Tae posted:

3.2 was the earliest assumption so I hope you didn't spend last week assuming she was 3.4

Also patches are 5 weeks now for the rest of the year which is 7 days per patch shorter of primos

I'm well and truly set when it comes to rolls for her. The only thing I'm considering now is whether it's worth it to pick up Ganyu after all. If I lose 50/50 on Cabbage and have to go to soft pity both times I might have to risk 50/50 on Baizhu if he does release in 3.4 :ohdear:

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 30, 2022

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Benny does apply more elemental units than most characters (Kaeya can do this as well I think) so that impacts how quickly you are breaking the electro orb thingy.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Space Opera posted:

Benny does apply more elemental units than most characters (Kaeya can do this as well I think) so that impacts how quickly you are breaking the electro orb thingy.

It actually doesn't follow standard rules, which I only just learned today looking at the wiki page

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/End_of_the_Oneiric_Euthymia#Abilities_and_Attacks posted:

1 instance of Electro application charges the orb fully, and 1 instance of non-Electro elemental application charges the orb by 26%, regardless of the amount of gauges applied. There is a 0.5s cooldown between each instance of elemental application, which is shared between all characters and all players in Co-Op Mode. Note that this cooldown is different from the standard elemental application ICD, which does not take effect here.

So basically, if you don't have Electro, the minimum time you can charge it is ~2s. The window itself is pretty short if you're not well-positioned.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only times I've been smeared is when playing coop and I wasn't using a character that had good application (Thoma). The rest of the team kept attacking her, and it just one shot us all

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 30, 2022

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
After some of the Aloy chat I recalled that her ability makes creatures that produce meat and fowl not run away or attack. Useful for the photo quest in the event, although certainly not essential as you don't need to get that close.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That bit about the .5 CD is really interesting! It explains why Ayaka takes longer to kill it than I expect (who would under normal circumstances be able to do it with dash -> skill -> NA -> CA but it tends to take one more attack because the NA comes out too fast after the skill). I guess I'll try holding the NA for a pause to see if I can do it in one sequence.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Looks like we just had another bit added to the toymaker quest. They offered to give the Traveler the cool handcarved Prototype Aranara... and Paimon shut them down for some reason? Hopefully we really get the option to take it as a placeable in the teapot at some point.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Currently have 0 purple xp books, where did they all go

Who took my books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Currently have 0 purple xp books, where did they all go

Who took my books

On many an occasion I think to myself 'man I have so many books/mora/items I don't think I'll have to farm them again for a while' and then I level up one person/weapon/artifact and they're gone.