Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kroger's store brands for food are the basic Kroger one, Private Selection for fancier stuff, and Simple Truth for organic. They have a few more for specific things, like cheese.

Also some others in other departments like Abound and Luvsome for pet stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I have friends and family in Canada I can probably blackmail/extort into sending me one. So, I guess not quite THAT badly.

I was searching around and someone said they found a few in-store, so they're still being made; it may just take a few attempts to find them in-stock. Good luck!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

anything ketchup can do, chili sauce does better. fight me

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ketchup (and all other tomato puree based condiments) are just condensed soups, when you think about it.

Chili sauce makes a bad soup on its own.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'd rather do ketchup than chili sauce on french fries.

But mixing a chili sauce into ranch is very good for french fries as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

We talking sweet chili sauce or or a sambal or that lovely American jarred stuff that people dump on cocktail weenies with grape jelly?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I go through a ton of the huy fong garlic one. Surprisingly versatile for Asian and Italian cooking.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I agree with this hot take. However, cold ketchup on piping hot fries exists in a sacred realm.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone else almost never use hot sauce despite having lots of great sauces you enjoy around?

Most of the time it completely covers the flavor of whatever I put it on, and I usually only eat things that taste good on their own so… it’s mostly just for leftovers.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm guessing you don't eat a lot of eggs or fried food

Some food is best as a base that displays sauces for your enjoyment

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I only make food that tastes great as leftovers!

Honestly I have a couple hot sauces and they're for stuff like eggs and perogies and whatever. I never put hot sauce directly on food and always just use it as a dip kinda thing. I don't generally make wings or whatnot. Maybe I should try the whole cauliflower 'wings' thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I use hot stuff to supplement what's already there with heat; definitely not a fan of using it straight.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Sextro posted:

Anyone else almost never use hot sauce despite having lots of great sauces you enjoy around?

Most of the time it completely covers the flavor of whatever I put it on, and I usually only eat things that taste good on their own so… it’s mostly just for leftovers.

Right there with you. I have like 8 bottles pf hot sauce that I really like, but I cook like 6 nights per week and go out for the 7th. When I cook, I make the food taste how I want it to taste. Other than putting Crystal on cajun/creole food that I cook, the hot sauces only get used on the once in a blue moon delivery pizza night.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hot sauce was made for pizza and leftover rice. Throw some mayo in and youve got a snack goin. Dont misread this as some rice pizza thing they’re separate.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

“Bachelor bowl” is my classic hot sauce food. Rice/beans/leftover protein/something crunchy in a bowl, Dab of mayo and a decent amount of hot sauce on top of that.

The combinations trend towards the heretical.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sextro posted:

“Bachelor bowl” is my classic hot sauce food. Rice/beans/leftover protein/something crunchy in a bowl, Dab of mayo and a decent amount of hot sauce on top of that.

The combinations trend towards the heretical.

When I was in uni I used to do that but with a 450g pack of ground beef. Throw some onions in , garlic, light seasoning, etc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love hot sauce, but I don't gently caress with anything with much vinegar. I like vinegar but the flavor of like, tabasco completely over-takes whatever I'm eating. Sriracha is the best cause the flavor is tasty but super mild. It doesn't make the whole meal taste like it. Also if I'm eating a burrito or something I Put hot sauce on every bite I love Taco Bell Fire sauce don't @me

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Vinegar based hot sauces are critical for fried dill pickles and I will die on this hill

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The two hot sauce brands I will always shill for are Humble House and Yellowbird. I haven't had anything from either that was heavy on the vinegar, and neither one is on the Scoville express elevator, which I appreciate.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

The two hot sauce brands I will always shill for are Humble House and Yellowbird. I haven't had anything from either that was heavy on the vinegar, and neither one is on the Scoville express elevator, which I appreciate.

Yellowbird is great, I always have a bottle in my fridge.

Secret aardvark has a more unique flavor but it slaps in a big bowl of pinto beans.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hot sauce goes on almost everything and I will die on THIS hill.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I hate to use acronyms, but lol at all this hot sauce chat from childless people. We have multiple hot sauces because I can’t put spice in any food, we eat with our children and they can’t bear anything stronger than mild to black pepper, and I can’t taste any heat in things they find inedible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Your children sound like my parents.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

poo poo my 7 year old niece will eat habeneros like popcorn. Your line is WEAK.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re: hot sauce

The vinegar makes everything taste like vinegar, so I avoid the stuff like the plague. Also the Sriracha stuff is way too sweet for me. If I want something spicy to heat things up, I’ll go for mango pickle or lemon pickle. My brother sent me a jar of citron pickle. It’s a titch bitter, but I’m not mad at it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Comedy option: Will a cheese sauce work? Get a jar of sodium citrate and make 40 lbs of cheese sauce instead. How many large stock pots do you have access to?

Edit: Wrong thread

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Comedy option: Will a cheese sauce work? Get a jar of sodium citrate and make 40 lbs of cheese sauce instead. How many large stock pots do you have access to?

No, you’re in the right place.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dino. posted:

Re: hot sauce

The vinegar makes everything taste like vinegar, so I avoid the stuff like the plague. Also the Sriracha stuff is way too sweet for me. If I want something spicy to heat things up, I’ll go for mango pickle or lemon pickle. My brother sent me a jar of citron pickle. It’s a titch bitter, but I’m not mad at it.

I'm honestly curious how sriracha is too sweet but somehow mango pickle isn't.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

I’m intrigued what the right thread is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

I’m intrigued what the right thread is.
Either the equipment thread, where there was recently a question about slicing cheese, or some kind of nsfw thread, I guess

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

don't kink shame turophiles

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mystes posted:

Either the equipment thread, where there was recently a question about slicing cheese, or some kind of nsfw thread, I guess

Bingo.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CainFortea posted:

I'm honestly curious how sriracha is too sweet but somehow mango pickle isn't.

Mango pickle is made from green mangoes. It’s not the same as a chutney. It’s mostly really spicy, somewhat sour, and hella massively salty. The South Indian fave is tiny green mangoes called vadu manga. Little balls of hate that are delicious when pickled.

The traditional home made ones don’t have added vinegar, although a lot of commercial ones use vinegar as an acidity regulator. Indian pickles are a vast and varied experience.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My son saying "good morning daddy" when I come in and turn on his light

Getting a "good job" at work

Hugging my wife the first quiet private moment each day

... none of these light up my life more than when I realize, sometimes after a bite or two, that a meal I'm eating is appropriate for mango pickle. Divine condiment A++ will jump out of my seat, giddy like Grandpa Joe again

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

dino. posted:

Mango pickle is made from green mangoes. It’s not the same as a chutney. It’s mostly really spicy, somewhat sour, and hella massively salty. The South Indian fave is tiny green mangoes called vadu manga. Little balls of hate that are delicious when pickled.

The traditional home made ones don’t have added vinegar, although a lot of commercial ones use vinegar as an acidity regulator. Indian pickles are a vast and varied experience.

drat. i've never had this. sounds incredible.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I love mango pickle, but my love for it shrinks to nothing before my love for lime pickle.
So salty, so spicy, so limey.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

lime pickle is like tasting a brighter, better world

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How does manog pickle compare to umeboshi? My wife loves umeboshi and she might be interested in this.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CainFortea posted:

poo poo my 7 year old niece will eat habeneros like popcorn. Your line is WEAK.

My 13 year old puts a couple of ounces of cayenne on nearly everything he eats and loves hot kimchi. I can't put heat in dishes because of my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CainFortea posted:

How does manog pickle compare to umeboshi? My wife loves umeboshi and she might be interested in this.

It's in that same neighbourhood. Salty, spicy, sour.

RE: Lime pickle chat.

My mum's going through chemo for her uterine cancer, and she says that on the days immediately following a round of chemo, her tongue feels like a block of cardboard, and nothing seems even vaguely tempting to eat. Also, because of heartburn issues and other general issues, she can't have spicy food like she's used to eating all her life. What's saved her on several occasions is lemon or lime pickle with yoghurt rice, because she has to eat something or her body is going to go into even worse digestive trauma than it already is. Also, a bunch of her meds need to be taken with food. She's on the last couple of rounds right now, which means that hopefully if the final test results will come through and she can get her hysterectomy, and they can finally get her on the road to sorting out her pretty rough few months she's had.

The chemo has been doing what it do, because apparently her markers came back, and the cancer levels have been dropping, which is good. Also, even though her insurance bitches every minute of the day, they still cover the treatments after the doctors and nurses call them to cuss them out for being loving soulless monsters for trying to delay treatment to someone who has stage four loving cancer. Just approve the drat thing so that she can get things under control and schedule the surgery.

Anyway. Because it's something that she has in plenty (Arizona has some pretty bright sunny days for the drying step that pickles need), she's got a good variety of pickle that she made herself, or her friends made for her. And, it's something that she's always been able to make no matter where she's lived, because the ingredients are so basic: some lime or lemon, some salt, and some time. That's the most basic version. Since she does have access to spices, she'll also make the spiced version. It's an integral part of a South Indian's pantry, and something that she's had ever since she was young, so being able to reach for it when she's in a rough place gives her that comfort and gets her to eat something.