Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WhiteHowler posted:

Corvette EV Coming in 2025

It's a sedan.

And then they're making a Corvette EV SUV.

:tif:

GM is dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MrLogan posted:

I thought we settled this a while ago? Tesla is the successor to BMW.

Fast in a straight line, bad interiors, and unreliable.

Tesla’s cup holder situation is on point at least

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Bad news: the "current" (old) EV tax credit is already gone.

The new tax credit is in effect, which mostly sucks if you want to buy something this year, since the manufacturer sales cap stays active until 2023. The new law also made a lot of foreign cars (like Hyundai and Kia) ineligible because of restrictions on battery sourcing and manufacturing locations. This may change slightly due to legal or political challenges; Korea claims the law violates the US free trade agreement with them. So it's possible we'll get more eligible cars in 2023.

Ah poo poo, thanks for letting me know.

I assume that means the income cap has also already taken effect? If so, then I've already completely missed my window, which is nice because I don't need to stress about buying a vehicle right now but sad because I missed out on some nice $$$

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrLogan posted:

the whole selling point for BMW for years was the driving experience. Teslas are cars designed by people who view the operation of the vehicle by the driver as an unnecessary inconvenience.

I don't think Teslas are particularly unreliable. They're just poorly built from the factory. Which just reinforces that Teslas are Panthers.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ajaxify posted:

Ah poo poo, thanks for letting me know.

I assume that means the income cap has also already taken effect? If so, then I've already completely missed my window, which is nice because I don't need to stress about buying a vehicle right now but sad because I missed out on some nice $$$

I think so, but quoting myself:

quote:

I'm having trouble finding information on the effective date of the income cap, but everything I've read indicates that every provision of the new law is already in effect, except manufacturer sales caps don't go away until 1/1/2023. If you're married, remember that the income cap is effectively doubled ($300k per household).

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, I'm a fan of the new EV rebates/benefits overall, but the rollout has been real lovely and the income caps are probably too low.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wait a minute are you saying the iX m60 I bought yesterday doesn’t qualify for either the old or the new tax credit?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Antillie posted:

Reminds me of every mustang I've ever sat in.

Edit: Generally 90's and early 2000's models. Maybe the modern ones are better.

I loved me some SN95 Mustang (owned 3) but yeah, the interior was not nice, also developed tons of dashboard rub/squeaks pretty early on, not very noticeable with the top down, or with the V8 running and flowmasters, or the V6 when it developed exhaust leaks from the sorry welds on the manifolds, but it would be absolute murder in an EV with how quiet they are. Fortunately my Leaf remains rattle free.

Looks like I'm covered on getting the tax rebate on the Mach-E no matter which or what way it is. Currently I think it'll be the old one since my $500 deposit counts as a down payment. I don't think my company will put me back to working 60+ hour weeks, but if they do for some reason that could have me knocking on the income cap for the new tax break.

My GF reserved an ID.4 during the last week of the old tax break, and her dealer sent her a letter saying she'll still be eligible, of course the dealer is not the IRS, and all dealers are scum fucks so who knows.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ND engine and transmission supposedly weigh about 400 lbs. Throw in some other ICE only stuff like exhaust system, fuel tank/delivery, and the weight of fuel and oil and that will get you to what, 550 lbs?

Quick back of the envelope, it looks like Tesla batteries weigh about 14 lb / kWh. You probably need at least 200 lbs for the motor, HV cables, extra fluids, etc. That would leave you with enough mass for a 25 kWh battery, which would probably get you less than 100mi of range in spirited driving. a 50 kWh battery would add 350 lbs to the weight, but that's sufficient extra mass that you would start having to add to suspension, braking and other systems in a non-virtuous cycle.

CF replacements for various body and frame components. Improve aero too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tesla interiors are $17k econo-car class even when you’re paying $150k

My 2000 ToyAuto Echo had better interior fit&finish than the Model 3.

My 2020 Kia Niro EV? Really nice interior.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bird with big dick posted:

Wait a minute are you saying the iX m60 I bought yesterday doesn’t qualify for either the old or the new tax credit?

Tired of the Model 3 already, huh?

Elviscat posted:

Looks like I'm covered on getting the tax rebate on the Mach-E no matter which or what way it is. Currently I think it'll be the old one since my $500 deposit counts as a down payment. I don't think my company will put me back to working 60+ hour weeks, but if they do for some reason that could have me knocking on the income cap for the new tax break.

Yep, you should be eligible for the old credit. Note that it'll be an actual credit on your 2022 taxes, not taken off at the point-of-sale like the new credit will be.

quote:

My GF reserved an ID.4 during the last week of the old tax break, and her dealer sent her a letter saying she'll still be eligible, of course the dealer is not the IRS, and all dealers are scum fucks so who knows.

Yeah, she should be fine, but I'm not the IRS either. If the deal falls through or she decides to back out, the 2023 ID.4 may be eligible on a car-by-car basis, as VW has moved some (but apparently not all?) assembly to Tennessee.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Double post.

I just logged in to check the status of my Mach-E, and it's still not in production, but something's changed.

Screenshot from two weeks ago

Website's still listing the price I originally reserved it for, which is good since the 2023 MSRPs are significantly higher, also looks like the only difference between '22 and '23 is some improved software, little faster DCFC, and a beefier battery main contactor to fix that issue.

E:

WhiteHowler posted:

Tired of the Model 3 already, huh?

Yep, you should be eligible for the old credit. Note that it'll be an actual credit on your 2022 taxes, not taken off at the point-of-sale like the new credit will be.

Yeah, she should be fine, but I'm not the IRS either. If the deal falls through or she decides to back out, the 2023 ID.4 may be eligible on a car-by-car basis, as VW has moved some (but apparently not all?) assembly to Tennessee.

Dope, thanks!

By the time I get my Mach-E it'll be tax season anyways at this rate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

CF replacements for various body and frame components. Improve aero too.

CF is not appropriate for some major components (in particular, all of the suspension), and it's still very expensive.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I think so, but quoting myself:

The IRS site seems to somewhat disagree, if you can purchase and take possession this year, then the old rules seem to still apply, except for the final assembly requirement. I dunno, it's all hard to understand.

quote:

Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022

If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above.
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MrLogan posted:

Don’t forget parts being outrageously expensive

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elviscat posted:

Double post.

I just logged in to check the status of my Mach-E, and it's still not in production, but something's changed.

Website's still listing the price I originally reserved it for, which is good since the 2023 MSRPs are significantly higher, also looks like the only difference between '22 and '23 is some improved software, little faster DCFC, and a beefier battery main contactor to fix that issue.
That's weird but not surprising. They've probably ramped up production on the 2023 model, and it's easier to just upgrade you than keep making two parallel models with slightly different configurations.

You're set either way, since the Mach-E is eligible under the new tax credit too.

The details on getting the new tax credit for the remainder of 2022 are kind of hazy -- some of the articles I've read say that you won't be able to take the new tax credit at the point of sale until 2023. If you buy before that you take the credit on your tax return just like the old one.

If I were in that gray zone I'd probably get an accountant to review my taxes just to be safe.

Ajaxify posted:

The IRS site seems to somewhat disagree, if you can purchase and take possession this year, then the old rules seem to still apply, except for the final assembly requirement. I dunno, it's all hard to understand.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

Thanks for the info, I was having trouble finding solid information on what takes effect when.

Wait, does that mean the new price cap doesn't take effect until 2023 then? So I could go out and buy an e-Tron or whatever tomorrow and qualify?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

WhiteHowler posted:

The details on getting the new tax credit for the remainder of 2022 are kind of hazy -- some of the articles I've read say that you won't be able to take the new tax credit at the point of sale until 2023. If you buy before that you take the credit on your tax return just like the old one.

I believe I read somewhere that the one change with a car eligible for the tax credit currently under the IRA is that the tax credit changed immediately to a refundable tax credit, so you get the full amount regardless of your tax liability.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Ford is wrapping up 2022 Mach-E's and just converted all unscheduled orders to 2023 orders.

Customers who have existing, unscheduled 2022 Model Year orders will receive a private offer to convert to a 2023 Model Year.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

CF is not appropriate for some major components (in particular, all of the suspension), and it's still very expensive.

I was thinking of hood, trunk lid and a few other panels.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bandire posted:

Ford is wrapping up 2022 Mach-E's and just converted all unscheduled orders to 2023 orders.

Customers who have existing, unscheduled 2022 Model Year orders will receive a private offer to convert to a 2023 Model Year.

Hmmmm, I don't like that phrasing.

Guess I'll see what shakes out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

I was thinking of hood, trunk lid and a few other panels.

There is very little weight savings on panelwork over aluminum, certainly not enough to offset cost. And you don't get any strength benefits on non-structural parts.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elviscat posted:

Hmmmm, I don't like that phrasing.

Guess I'll see what shakes out.

Hopefully "a private offer" isn't "hey, buy a 2023 model for only $4000 more than you agreed to pay for a 2022, or we can just cancel your order".

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is very little weight savings on panelwork over aluminum, certainly not enough to offset cost. And you don't get any strength benefits on non-structural parts.

Does the Miata have aluminum hoods/lids?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Does the Miata have aluminum hoods/lids?

Hood yes for sure. It weighs around 20 lbs. There's probably some weight savings going full CF but it's just a couple of lbs for a lot of $.

edit looks like if you go aftermarket full CF trunk lid and hood you save about 14 lbs. That's not nothing but I bet those 14 pounds are not good value.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 30, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CF is pretty brittle too right? Potentially easier to damage even from light abuse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

CF is pretty brittle too right? Potentially easier to damage even from light abuse.

It has weird strength properties based on direction of weave

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hood yes for sure. It weighs around 20 lbs. There's probably some weight savings going full CF but it's just a couple of lbs for a lot of $.

edit looks like if you go aftermarket full CF trunk lid and hood you save about 14 lbs. That's not nothing but I bet those 14 pounds are not good value.

Yeah. That isn't significant.

Well better aerodynamics could help get more range out of it, but pretty hard in a rag top to improve that.

I think the Mercedes EQS is close to the Cd of the original GM EV1 (which was 0.19). Cd of the EQS is 0.20.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Hopefully "a private offer" isn't "hey, buy a 2023 model for only $4000 more than you agreed to pay for a 2022, or we can just cancel your order".

Ford's supposed to do the same thing for all of the unscheduled Maverick orders as well. It's anticipated to be a personalized rebate to cover the pricing between when you ordered and the new MY of same/similar config. So in theory you could downgrade configuration and get some good savings. On the flipside being a rebate this may mean you end up paying sales tax on the full price of your config. And since it's a new order you also potentially lose financing incentives which can sting a bit with the interest rate increases.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WhiteHowler posted:

I’m your private offer/
Offer for money/
You’ll buy what I want you to buy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ford's gonna make you an offer you can't refuse

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

priznat posted:

Not these days, esp with the resins and understanding how to use the weaves to direct impact energy. CF in many applications is more resiliant now and longer lasting. One issue it continues to have is that CF does not fail gracefully.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also it depends on if you have a full proper CF panel (Seriously expensive but very lightweight) vs what is more generally available with is actually a CF/fiberglass blend that is heavier (but can be still lighter) and more often than not not exactly quality controlled well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not these days, esp with the resins and understanding how to use the weaves to direct impact energy. CF in many applications is more resiliant now and longer lasting. One issue it continues to have is that CF does not fail gracefully.

Also it depends on if you have a full proper CF panel (Seriously expensive but very lightweight) vs what is more generally available with is actually a CF/fiberglass blend that is heavier (but can be still lighter) and more often than not not exactly quality controlled well.
F1 cars seem to be pretty good at safety despite being mostly CF at this point, but I'd be a bit concerned about more minor impacts wrecking the panel.

Out of curiosity I looked and they also make CF fenders and doors for miata too: https://www.carbonmiata.com/shop/mazda-mx-5/na-89-97-mazda-mx-5/exterior-parts-na-89-97-mazda-mx-5/body-panels/doors/
The fenders are 1.3kg vs 3.3kg for the OEM steel ones, and doors are 3kg vs 15kg steel (I'm assuming both without the glass, door cards, etc). And I think that's it, as far as panels you could even theoretically replace on a miata. It does add up to about 40kg which is definitely not insignificant, but neither is the price :v:

That said, it's still only like 5-6 grand, which might be a lot by old miata standards but pretty :lol: by fancy sports cars measures.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

Out of curiosity I looked and they also make CF fenders and doors for miata too: https://www.carbonmiata.com/shop/mazda-mx-5/na-89-97-mazda-mx-5/exterior-parts-na-89-97-mazda-mx-5/body-panels/doors/
The fenders are 1.3kg vs 3.3kg for the OEM steel ones, and doors are 3kg vs 15kg steel (I'm assuming both without the glass, door cards, etc). And I think that's it, as far as panels you could even theoretically replace on a miata. It does add up to about 40kg which is definitely not insignificant, but neither is the price :v:

The doors would be more because side intrusion bars are not in the CF doors. Removing the side intrusion bars drop door weight by a lot but of course there's no side impact protection, which isnt a big issue if you have a proper rollcage that has sidebars. For road use doors with no side impact protection is almost certainly illegal in most areas and risky otherwise.

Thats not to say you cant engineer in side protection on CF doors, it's more it not usually done as it's a race only mod and should not be considered for use on a street vehicle. Ialso would guess trying to engineer a CF door to have legal side protection would be a bit on the expensive side.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BMW iX has healing crystals for switchgear

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Chargin my JO seat adjustment and gear changing crystals

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

That makes me think of that cheap and super gaudy CZ jewelry you can get at Walmart. Do not want.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

gotta charge the car and you gotta charge the JO crystals in the car

stevewm
May 10, 2005
In a recent video on Out of Spec Motoring... Kyle mentioned he spoke with an engineer that worked on the Bolt. And that person claimed the primary reason for the Bolt's paltry 55kw peak charging was the cabling from the DC port to the battery. And GM decided not to change it with the refresh.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wait... Did you actually buy an iX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This reminds me of some EV i think, i can't remember what, maybe an Audi or... something or other, that had an orb that pops out or something when you turn the car on.

Am i imagining that?