Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Jxforema posted:

I started playing again after a few years and have questions about actions. The rule book has the following: • There is no maximum limit to the number of actions a ship can perform over the course of a round, but a ship cannot perform the same action more than once during a single round, or perform an action it has failed this round.

So each ship can take each action on its card once per round? If so, how do you do damage with all the evades and focus tokens?

By default, ships can only perform one action per round. However, there are some abilities that let you do multiple actions in a round, usually at the cost of taking on stress tokens (preventing you from taking further actions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
That’s what I thought, thank you.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Was the exception to that linked actions? I thought something like coordinating someone to focus, then them taking a linked white barrel roll -> red focus worked.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Talkie Toaster posted:

Was the exception to that linked actions? I thought something like coordinating someone to focus, then them taking a linked white barrel roll -> red focus worked.

No Not allowed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
goooood friday morning all How about some absolutely terrible homebrew to get you ready for the weekend?

That loving dial lol

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

goooood friday morning all How about some absolutely terrible homebrew to get you ready for the weekend?

That loving dial lol

How on earth does a zero bank even work

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

No clue! Also, purple manuvers, and the generic doesn't have force

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

They have it for huge ships, but that requires an entirely separate maneuver tool so I have no idea what the plan is for a small ship.

Also, homebrew makers don't seem to get that you don't have to give ships access to every maneuver.

Edit: they don't have shields, what are they reinforcing with????

Napoleon Nelson fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 5, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

smug jeebus posted:

This ship is "like Sonic the Hedgehog, gotta go fast," but it can hover in place and rotate around like a turret. Makes perfect sense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jxforema posted:

I started playing again after a few years and have questions about actions. The rule book has the following: • There is no maximum limit to the number of actions a ship can perform over the course of a round, but a ship cannot perform the same action more than once during a single round, or perform an action it has failed this round.

So each ship can take each action on its card once per round? If so, how do you do damage with all the evades and focus tokens?

Here's a more complete answer:

Ships can take any number of actions every round, but that doesn't mean "take every action possible when you're granted an action." It means "you can take an action any time something says you can take an action, even if you've already taken an action. In other words, there has to be something to TRIGGER the taking of an action. There can be any number of such triggers. The only real limitation is that you can't take the same action more than once in a round.

Let's say you have a squad that consists of:
"Vizier" (4)
Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0/12) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 4

Darth Vader (7)
Ship Cost: 7 Loadout: (0/21) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 2

Soontir Fel (6)
Ship Cost: 6 Loadout: (0/15) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 1

"Night Beast" (3)
Ship Cost: 3 Loadout: (0/4) Half Points: 1 Damage Threshold: 1

Total: 20

View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v9ZhZ20Z185XWWY173XWWWWWWWY179XWWWY226XW&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

(I haven't put any upgrades here just to simplify the answer)

Night Beast fully executes a 2-straight, which is blue. His ability lets him take a focus action, and he takes advantage of the Perform Action step that is part of fully executing a maneuver. He chooses Evade. He's now taken two actions, Focus and Evade.

Vizier users his Controlled Ailerons to boost, which lets him take a white Coordinate action per his pilot ability. He coordinates Night Beast another action. The only thing left on Night Beast's action bar is a Barrel Roll. He can't focus or evade again, because he's already done that. Night Beast barrel rolls, and thus has now taken three actions this round. Vizier then skips his Perform Action step, because that's what his ability says to do. Vizier has taken one action.

Soontir goes next. He fully executes a maneuver, and thus gets to the Perform Action step. He chooses to focus. Then he activates his Autothrusters ability to perform a red barrel roll, receiving a stress. Stressed ships cannot take actions, so even if he is somehow granted another action, he couldn't do it. However, there is a ship in his bullseye! Soontir's ability gives him a focus token when there's an enemy in the bullseye at the start of the Engagement phase. It says "gain one focus token," which is not the same as "take the focus action." Thus, Soontir would get a focus token at that time unless the ship in his arc moves or is destroyed before the start of the engagement phase, even though Soontir is stressed and even though he already took the focus action.

Vader goes last. He fully executes a maneuver and takes the focus action in the Perform Action step. He could link that to a red barrel roll, but Vader is smarter than that. Instead, he uses his ability to spend a force to perform an action after performing an action. He spends a force to take a white barrel roll instead. However, alternatively, he could have taken a Target Lock as his first action, then spent a force to take the Focus action. Once he took the Focus action, he could have linked that into a red barrel roll.

In the end:
Night Beast took three actions (Focus, Evade, Roll) and is not stressed
Vizier took one action (Coordinate) and has no tokens, and is not stressed
Soontir took two actions (Focus, Roll) and got a second focus token through his pilot ability that is totally not an action. He's stressed about it.
Vader took either two (Focus, white Roll) or three (Lock, Focus, red Roll) actions depending on how you did it. He's only stressed if he did the red Roll.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

That loving dial lol

Okay that dial is hilarious.

Why is is one 2-turn red? Just one? Who's flying this thing, Manaroo?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Napoleon Nelson posted:

They have it for huge ships, but that requires an entirely separate maneuver tool so I have no idea what the plan is for a small ship.

Also, homebrew makers don't seem to get that you don't have to give ships access to every maneuver.

Edit: they don't have shields, what are they reinforcing with????

You don't need shields to reinforce. Doesn't the brute have it too?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

You don't need shields to reinforce. Doesn't the brute have it too?

Huh, so it does. I so rarely see it played. My objection wasn't rules-based so much as conceptual.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

ConfusedUs posted:

Here's a more complete answer:

Ships can take any number of actions every round, but that doesn't mean "take every action possible when you're granted an action." It means "you can take an action any time something says you can take an action, even if you've already taken an action. In other words, there has to be something to TRIGGER the taking of an action. There can be any number of such triggers. The only real limitation is that you can't take the same action more than once in a round.

Let's say you have a squad that consists of:
"Vizier" (4)
Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0/12) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 4

Darth Vader (7)
Ship Cost: 7 Loadout: (0/21) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 2

Soontir Fel (6)
Ship Cost: 6 Loadout: (0/15) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 1

"Night Beast" (3)
Ship Cost: 3 Loadout: (0/4) Half Points: 1 Damage Threshold: 1

Total: 20

View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v9ZhZ20Z185XWWY173XWWWWWWWY179XWWWY226XW&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

(I haven't put any upgrades here just to simplify the answer)

Night Beast fully executes a 2-straight, which is blue. His ability lets him take a focus action, and he takes advantage of the Perform Action step that is part of fully executing a maneuver. He chooses Evade. He's now taken two actions, Focus and Evade.

Vizier users his Controlled Ailerons to boost, which lets him take a white Coordinate action per his pilot ability. He coordinates Night Beast another action. The only thing left on Night Beast's action bar is a Barrel Roll. He can't focus or evade again, because he's already done that. Night Beast barrel rolls, and thus has now taken three actions this round. Vizier then skips his Perform Action step, because that's what his ability says to do. Vizier has taken one action.

Soontir goes next. He fully executes a maneuver, and thus gets to the Perform Action step. He chooses to focus. Then he activates his Autothrusters ability to perform a red barrel roll, receiving a stress. Stressed ships cannot take actions, so even if he is somehow granted another action, he couldn't do it. However, there is a ship in his bullseye! Soontir's ability gives him a focus token when there's an enemy in the bullseye at the start of the Engagement phase. It says "gain one focus token," which is not the same as "take the focus action." Thus, Soontir would get a focus token at that time unless the ship in his arc moves or is destroyed before the start of the engagement phase, even though Soontir is stressed and even though he already took the focus action.

Vader goes last. He fully executes a maneuver and takes the focus action in the Perform Action step. He could link that to a red barrel roll, but Vader is smarter than that. Instead, he uses his ability to spend a force to perform an action after performing an action. He spends a force to take a white barrel roll instead. However, alternatively, he could have taken a Target Lock as his first action, then spent a force to take the Focus action. Once he took the Focus action, he could have linked that into a red barrel roll.

In the end:
Night Beast took three actions (Focus, Evade, Roll) and is not stressed
Vizier took one action (Coordinate) and has no tokens, and is not stressed
Soontir took two actions (Focus, Roll) and got a second focus token through his pilot ability that is totally not an action. He's stressed about it.
Vader took either two (Focus, white Roll) or three (Lock, Focus, red Roll) actions depending on how you did it. He's only stressed if he did the red Roll.

That’s exactly how I thought it should work, thanks

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Anyone playing at gencon?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

So, about that Battle of Yavin expansion:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yes, Tiree. Yes that is what Y-Wing fans have always wanted. Thank you AMG

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

AMG put out a series of articles going through all the Battle of Yavin pilots individually, just scroll down for all 4:
https://www.atomicmassgames.com/star-wars-transmissions

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I haven't played since before COVID (around when the Separatists were coming out) and I remember things rapidly going downhill.

What does the game look like now? Would my mostly 1.0 ship collection still be viable?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't played since before COVID (around when the Separatists were coming out) and I remember things rapidly going downhill.

What does the game look like now? Would my mostly 1.0 ship collection still be viable?

The game is both very different and much the same, simultaneously.

Second edition came out before COVID. It was a huge breath of fresh air. While there were some bumps--and a lot of people angry that they had to pay money for new content--it was generally regarded as a massively needed change. Second edition was very, very similar to first, but with a bunch of stuff balanced for rules and game health purposes.

Then three things happened: FFG got bought out by Asmodee, COVID killed all local groups everywhere, and Asmodee took X-Wing away from FFG and gave it to Atomic Mass Games (AMG).

We are currently in the post-stabilization phase of what everyone calls "2.5". The game is still about building some ships and fighting other ships. However, AMG has added a new dimension to the game: objectives. This came simultaneously with a huge shift in how squads were built.

These changes were quite polarizing, and made worse by AMG's absolute dogshit communication practices (announcing poo poo on random miniature painting streams for another game was the norm for a while). There were also major balance issues on the first pass with the new squadbuilding rules.

However, we're past the worst of that. The current meta is quite diverse and unless you just absolutely hate objectives, the game is good.

Player numbers, however, have yet to recover from the double tap of COVID and big rules change.

As far as your first edition ships:
To use those ships with second edition rules, you'll have to convert the ships to second edition through "conversion kits" that contain an absolutely obscene amount of new cards and cardboard. There is one conversion kit per faction.

You don't need anything special to go from 2.0 to 2.5: those are just rules changes and use the same components as 2.0.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I was around for most of 2.0 and a bit of 2.5, but I remember something about initiative changing every round or something similiar?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I was around for most of 2.0 and a bit of 2.5, but I remember something about initiative changing every round or something similiar?

Yes. Called ROAD (Random Order After Dials). Basically, after dials are set, you roll for first player. Take my opinion with some caution, but I always a fan, because it meant you had to plan even more carefully, I feel it also makes it a bit fairer so it's not always one player moving second with perfect board knowledge, and adds a bit more randomness you'll need to adjust for.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think a third, somewhat milder change that I know did affect the game at least in my area, is that AMG did a large price increase sometime during COVID. I think it was around 20%?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think it was the 2e re-releases? I noticed them too, snips went to ~$20 from ~$15, at least here.

I’ll still have a soft spot for x-wing, but Legion commands my limited available playtime (for now).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

Yes. This (and most/all of the other major changes) are in the OP.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes. Called ROAD (Random Order After Dials). Basically, after dials are set, you roll for first player. Take my opinion with some caution, but I always a fan, because it meant you had to plan even more carefully, I feel it also makes it a bit fairer so it's not always one player moving second with perfect board knowledge, and adds a bit more randomness you'll need to adjust for.

"Perfect board knowledge" is a term coined by AMG that is wildly misleading, imo. The players still don't know how the opponent is moving their ships.

I'm still not a fan of ROAD, it leads to the most conservative/cautious choice always being the best option.

As for objectives, I'm okay with them. Especially after the last balance pass that made it so you couldn't cheese out a T3 win without firing a shot. Though the cargo crate one still irrationally bothers me. Does my pilot roll down the window on their TIE and grab it?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Floppychop posted:

Though the cargo crate one still irrationally bothers me. Does my pilot roll down the window on their TIE and grab it?

Why else would they wear the vacuum suit and respirator?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

They stash them the same place the Inferno Squadron pilots keep their cannons and missiles.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everyone started retrofitting their ships with snowspeeder tow cables.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Cloaked ships still being able to interact with objective pisses me off to no end, along with many other things.

Australia is going to have a world's qualifier in November and it will be about 30 min from where I live and I still don't think I will play. That makes me sad. I used to live and breathe this game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IIRC the scenario that you got wrecked on by cloaked ships was Salvage Mission, where you pick up crates and run.

That scenario has been re worked a lot. Ships lose cloak tokens when they take the tow action, cannot reposition at all, and cannot gain cloak tokens in any way, even shenanigans.

This makes “get the crates and run and never play the game” impossible.

Cloaking IS possible for the other scenarios but having ships cloaked permanently is a disadvantage. Slower objective scoring means points for destroying ships is important, and cloaked ships can’t shoot.

Generally speaking the game is way, way healthier than the last time you played.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Who wants some homebrew Friday

Surprisingly not terrible. I kinda like it actually.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
Is there any market for used / play condition first edition stuff?

Is it kosher to post a collection for sale here?

I have a decent collection in little paper craft boxes that German dude used to put up on his website. I used them with a school club up until my second kid was born in late 2017. I assume cards, dice, counters, etc are basically worthless but what about the minis?

The stuff is so disorganized and I don’t want to try sorting it out if it’s not worth anything.

I’m in California, Santa Clara County (Morgan Hill) but not close to any game stores and I don’t know any playing groups. But if there’s any SCC goons in this thread who’ll take it and use it I’m willing to let it all go for whatever’s fair.

I also have some sealed product that seems to have some value based on eBay listings.

If it’s cool I’ll post pictures.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The models have value. A few bucks each, more for the large ones. A handful of models are popular but rare and worth way more than you’d expect, such as the alpha class star wing.

The cards and cardboard are virtually worthless.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Another aces pack, 35 across al the factions. Tycho's back and X-Wing Corran is in it with a pretty interesting ability.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

There's going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth (including from me) if they go with target lock Corran instead of the Force Corran from the back of the box.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I genuinely can't parse that Corran ability.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

its like, a friendly ship locks you first, then they transfer it to the enemy, so you have 2 locks on them, I think? seems like a lot to set up

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

I genuinely can't parse that Corran ability.

You have Corran and a ship friendly to Corran.

The friendly ship locks Corran.

Corran locks an enemy.

When Corran attacks that enemy, the friendly lock on Corran moves to the enemy locked by Corran.

Edit: it looks like it's just one ship friendly to Corran.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

You have Corran and a ship friendly to Corran.

The friendly ship locks Corran.

Corran locks an enemy.

When Corran attacks that enemy, the friendly lock on Corran moves to the enemy locked by Corran.

Edit: it looks like it's just one ship friendly to Corran.

That's actually kinda fluffy. Just re-read the first two rogue squadron books, and Corran keeps letting himself be locked or at least his telemetry for other pilots