Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't wait until Elon Musk dies never having slipped the surly bonds of Earth's gravity.

I thought it was funny when he was challenging Putin to fisticuffs and I assumed he was going to be poloniumed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Shinjobi posted:

I work in auto insurance.

Even before covid specific supply chain issues popped up they told us all in training that a tesla claim was going to cost more than most and take longer than anything else you come across. Repair shops were flat out refusing to work on em since they would often sit in storage for months.

Having a tesla on your policy, at my company anyway, means your deductible starts at $2,000.00. No exceptions. Insurance companies hate these fuckin things too. On the flip side: some models come with plenty of dash/rear view cameras for accidents. Lots of owners get caught lying when the footage comes out. It owns.

My wife works in auto insurance and parts availability can hit all sorts of random models for huge delays but the real unique part about Teslas is no one wants to work on them. There is one shop in the region and that's it lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Send a 95/5 female/male split and do the scifi eugenicist forced-arranged-marriages for several generations so nobody fucks their half-sibling?

That sounds like the sort of thing he'd be into.

no men, IVF only, final destination

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

goatface posted:

1 million people.

Assume they're at it like rabbits and half the million are deformed Martian children.

As current large rockets can seat ~4 to transfer orbit, lets be generous and call it 5, that would require 100,000 launches, discounting fuel, supplies, losses etc. I make it 10,350 days until 31 Dec 2050, let's knock off about 6 months for final group transit and 6 months off the start for them to announce their super new colony building plan and transit vessels. Call it 10,000 days.

10 super-heavy a day, every day.

Needs elevators imo. Good ones.
I started thinking about the cost of just flinging naked humans into space. This link from 2019 listed the costs per Kg to send something to space as:

quote:

When the space shuttle was in operation, it could launch a payload of 27,500 kilograms for $1.5 billion, or $54,500 per kilogram. For a SpaceX Falcon 9, the rocket used to access the ISS, the cost is just $2,720 per kilogram

Without considering food, human-needs supplies (clothes/suits, medicine, etc.), life support systems (buildings and materials, electronics and power supplies, etc.), without considering the weight of the launch craft and fuel, labor and wages, infrastructure on Earth to make this possible, and so on and on, and only guesstimating the weight of a million humans based on this data from 2021:

quote:

Recent data from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) suggests that the average weight of men in the US is 199.8 pounds. The average weight for women is 170.8 pounds. To put this in perspective, it's important to consider body mass index (BMI).

Male: 90.62 kg,
Female: 77.47 kg,
Average: 84.04
Average X one million people: 84,045,000 kg

Sum X $2720 USD: $228,602,400,000 dollars the cost of human weight alone to send a million of them to a city on Mars that doesn't exist.

Add in the cost everything else with the absolutely assumption that the entire planet is on board diverting materials and labor into this never-ending project, such as round-the-clock construction and launching of 10 super heavies per day, without any lost passengers and ships...

Just LMAO that Musk worshippers will defend this dude until red in the face.

EDIT:

I forgot about launch windows and the fact that Mars' distance changes throughout the year. They would either have to launch hundreds of ships per day, or try to send them year round and increase the total fuel costs based on distance, which my above guesstimates are based on just getting out of our atmosphere. They also couldn't launch during events like meteor showers and wild solar periods. No launches during standard rear end Earth weather events, too. Every part of Elon's claim falls apart with even basic critical thinking fueled from reading Sci-Fi novels and watching movies.

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 30, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
But have you considered that he's making a rocket named Starship? Clearly with a name like that it's capable of doing direct flights to Mars instead of waiting for efficient launch windows.

I mean, it's named Starship!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's like how hoverboards... hover

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
loving naysayers itt

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

captainOrbital posted:

loving neighsayers itt

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PITY BONER posted:

Elon still pushing the Mars meme because it's the only thing he has left.

https://twitter.com/cotatopunt/status/1564211389148921860

Musk fans are deranged.

Glass domes seems like an awful idea for a planet known for hemisphere sized dust storms lol

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

My favorite internet cycle is when Musk tweets something preposterous then we all spend three pages proving it’s preposterous.

To throw my two cents in: what exactly are the logistics of getting a giant dome to mars?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

vaginite posted:

My favorite internet cycle is when Musk tweets something preposterous then we all spend three pages proving it’s preposterous.

To throw my two cents in: what exactly are the logistics of getting a giant dome to mars?

completely insane unless you build silicate manufacturing on mars with robots initially

you will never send the glass needed to build that on a rocket and have it intact by the time it lands

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

bobjr posted:

Wasn’t there already a dumb Mars launch plan where they outright said at least half of you will die before you make it to mars, and still got people signing up for it?

You uhhh got a signup link??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
"half you will die before reaching Mars" is some bonkers poo poo, like is that just admitting that full blown cannibalism is the plan

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why doesnt Musk do a million people biodome here on earth first to prove he's truely is an IronmanRick with a glaxy brain.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Musky is gonna make IRL deadspace and I hope to witness it first hand

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

goatface posted:

1 million people.

Assume they're at it like rabbits and half the million are deformed Martian children.

As current large rockets can seat ~4 to transfer orbit, lets be generous and call it 5, that would require 100,000 launches, discounting fuel, supplies, losses etc. I make it 10,350 days until 31 Dec 2050, let's knock off about 6 months for final group transit and 6 months off the start for them to announce their super new colony building plan and transit vessels. Call it 10,000 days.

10 super-heavy a day, every day.

Needs elevators imo. Good ones.

Nah, we’ll pack em in those ships like Martian sardines in cryosleep. I think we can get it done in 100 launches easy.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Heath posted:

How hard do you have to tweak your brain every time you have to look at that thing and go "well at least it's good for the industry"

never mentioned industry, i just like it when cars look different and i love it when someone else, especially someone bad, pays for things i like to happen. see most designers - of all types - have to play at the top of the bell curve that's defined by its extremities. before cybertruck, a designer would think or be told 'nah that's too angular', but now they can just say 'well, at least it's not a cybertruck' and boom, interesting cars happen. already has - take a look at the rivian or the hyundai ioniq, they're way more cyberpunk, making use of more angles than their predecessors, adding many digital flourishes, that end up feeling very fresh, but also still attractive and palatable. that's a huge win for me personally as someone who occasionally sees cars in roads and parking lots.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somehow I only realized just now that he hasn't even gone on an orbital shot in his own company's spacecraft. I can't believe you let Bezos and Branson show you up like that, man!

They should have strapped him into the tesla they shot into space

Without a space suit

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Would you rather play Minecraft?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ilmucche posted:

Glass domes seems like an awful idea for a planet known for hemisphere sized dust storms lol

Martian atmosphere is ~1% that of Earth, which means that the wind pressure of Martian storms is also ~1% that if Earth; a Martian storm wouldn’t knock over a child, although the flying grit would be a terrible hazard to anything with fine moving parts or solar panels.

Glass is overkill, to be honest, and we’d be better to invest in tough plastic tents.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Sophy Wackles posted:

Nah, we’ll pack em in those ships like Martian sardines in cryosleep. I think we can get it done in 100 launches easy.
So, if we consider how many gallons of Jordan Peterson's coma juice cocktail we'll need per person to sustain a 5-9 month coma, plus having the coma juice dispenser machine's AI written by the same Tesla employees that programmed the Tesla AI-driver, we arrive at the sum of 27 deaths per 1000ml of coma juice. This means that for every 1L of coma juice is dispensed, 27 passengers will die on route to Mars. The current trip requires about 70,000 liters of coma juice, which means that when the ships arrive to Mars only 1.8 million people will have died.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Has Musk himself, or his muskrats even said how they would terraform Mars, or are they such shallow level IFUCKINGLOVESCIENCE types that havent even heard of the word terraforming, and think FTL civs just accept a planets defualt climate and therefor living in biodomes and space suits?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

just build a hyperloop from earth to mars bing bong so simple

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

Has Musk himself, or his muskrats even said how they would terraform Mars, or are they such shallow level IFUCKINGLOVESCIENCE types that havent even heard of the word terraforming, and think FTL civs just accept a planets defualt climate and therefor living in biodomes and space suits?

Listen man, I think it's great that you're trying to plan ahead, but how about we just go to Mars first and then figure all that stuff out? Sounds loving complicated tbh everything might just work out

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
big fat hyperwelfare scam by a cum spraying boer

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
Science fiction was a mistake.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Victory Lap posted:

Listen man, I think it's great that you're trying to plan ahead, but how about we just go to Mars first and then figure all that stuff out? Sounds loving complicated tbh everything might just work out

Look at how long it takes to get to Mars, there's gonna be a whole lot of planning time for that kinda stuff while everyone's on the way

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

QuarkJets posted:

"half you will die before reaching Mars" is some bonkers poo poo, like is that just admitting that full blown cannibalism is the plan

I think the plan was a bunch of people in individual pods/tubes they shot at Mars, presumably most people would starve or miss the planet or something

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

PhazonLink posted:

Someone needs to inform them. It’s basically impossible to terraform because Mars doesn’t have the protective magnetosphere that prevents the solar wind from stripping the atmosphere in the first place. Domes is the only thing we could ever hope for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

Someone needs to inform them. It’s basically impossible to terraform because Mars doesn’t have the protective magnetosphere that prevents the solar wind from stripping the atmosphere in the first place. Domes is the only thing we could ever hope for.

Got it, push hundreds of asteroids into mars to make it magnetic. Bing bang.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

You can theoretically do a temporary/continuous terraform by generating atmosphere as fast as it is stripped away.
(We're still at least a couple of centuries from the needed tech, even if we don't kill ourselves first)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

You can theoretically do a temporary/continuous terraform by generating atmosphere as fast as it is stripped away.
(We're still at least a couple of centuries from the needed tech, even if we don't kill ourselves first)

This is the crater method from known documentary Cowboy Beebop

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Barudak posted:

Got it, push hundreds of asteroids into mars to make it magnetic. Bing bang.

Funny thing is, that would actually work. If you threw half the asteroid belt into Mars, you'd probably make it hot enough to restart a dynamo in the core. Then it would have a magnetic field again.

It'd also be a ball of molten magma, so settling on it would be kinda hard for a few tens of millions of years. But hey: you want to make an omelet, you gotta crack a new Late Heavy Bombardment!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Klyith posted:

Funny thing is, that would actually work. If you threw half the asteroid belt into Mars, you'd probably make it hot enough to restart a dynamo in the core. Then it would have a magnetic field again.

It'd also be a ball of molten magma, so settling on it would be kinda hard for a few tens of millions of years. But hey: you want to make an omelet, you gotta crack a new Late Heavy Bombardment!

So really we just have to recreate The Core, but on Mars, even better.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

he's a scam artist, so no

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
After watching this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk

I think we really need to get cracking on figuring out how to take this concept and maximize it so that even countries like Iceland could be growing acres of oranges and other warm-weather and tropical foods. When I was living in Thailand, all the lettuce and certain berries I bought were grown in warehouses. I went to one of the strawberry warehouses and it was cool and fascinating to see how they use solar power and certain techniques to tell these plants to grow poo poo at twice/thrice the speed it usually grows.

I'd go back to school and relearn how to be a warehouse/underground farmer if that is what our planet needed. For Mars? gently caress off.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the earth as a thermal battery is a thing for geothermal heat pumps and isnt exactly new.

you can use it to cool coolant for summer, and use it to heat coolant heatant in winter to get above slightly freezing.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Can't Elon Musk just make a huge magnet? You could even use it with a pair of skates for mobility:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

the earth as a thermal battery is a thing for geothermal heat pumps and isnt exactly new.

you can use it to cool coolant for summer, and use it to heat coolant heatant in winter to get above slightly freezing.
I know, and agree. I just mean on a large scale because of how the temperature is always X year-round underground, which makes for very predictable planning and infrastructure based on it. I only feel this way because my grandparents had a house that was built 2/3rds underground, and I spent years living with them experiencing the neat fact that 110/43 degree summers and 20/-6 degree winters meant absolutely nothing for a house that was the same temperature year round. My bed always kept the same number of sheets and blankets, and I slept with my window open even when it was snowing outside. When I see how well stable temperature help to grow food, I'm like "I get it. I know that feeling well" as a product of semi-underground living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Can you imagine, tho, the honor of being the first human to set foot on another actual planet? You could even tweet a quote that you DON'T gently caress up and have people repeating your words for the rest of your life. Which will be like six days.

Can you imagine, tho, the honor of being the first human to be eaten on another actual planet?

Also this is a great way to rid THIS planet of Muskovites and chuds. Trips to Mars, baby! Mars influencers sign right here and get on board.