Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I went to check and I got a heart forth Alicia update on 31 July lmao

They claim they have finished 2 of 3 zones but I'll believe it when I see the actual game. I think it's more than a decade at this point now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Gaspy Conana posted:

I went to Kickstarter for my first two games and my third and fourth are now being funded by indie publishers. There are way more publishers offering deals at a small enough scale now to be practical for smaller devs. I'm sure there are multiple reasons but that's it for me and a few of my dev acquaintences.

Dya mind if I DM you about this? I'm having trouble finding smaller scale publishers.

Incidentally, since a few goons supported my KS (thank you! my SMM was very confused by the referral URLs from here), we're still chugging along on Schrodinger's Catgirl. Got mildly hosed by the cost of living crisis in the UK but still going! :toot:

I know a few devs have moved to KS-likes over the crypto thing, but it does seem like in general like it's smaller games, e.g. visual novels in the 5k-20k realm, that are still hanging on there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

They claim they have finished 2 of 3 zones but I'll believe it when I see the actual game. I think it's more than a decade at this point now
never say never, Secrets of Grindea is finishing up the final dungeon/final boss currently

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm in that same boat there. I have another game that is more obviously an out and out scam (But I love you.) where she clearly ran off with the money, but HFA keeps stringing me along instead of disappearing in the aether. I've backed a few games recently, mostly just because I had the money to spend, and they seemed interesting, but otherwise I've transitioned mostly to comics.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I look up Classroom Aquatic sometimes because I'm pretty sure that game's pitch is old enough tp drink in Germany.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

14 years total dev time almost I believe since it predates the KS by a stretch. HFA is going to come out and be fantastic but Alonso is a major perfectionist and won't stop until it is as perfect as he can get it. I've known him since we were both teenagers so I feel I can vouch for him a little bit, not that the incredible wait is justified.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

secretly best girl posted:

Two Guys SpaceVenture, the spiritual successor to Space Quest, has been such a complete and utter gaping train wreck that it's kind of amazing. They vanish for 6-12 months at a time now and keep promising it's just shy of the finish line, but the cash was clearly burned through a while back and we are now going into year... Three? of "it'll come out once we fix bugs in the save system". Last update promised they'd spend a week crunching on it and be done, honest, and nothing since.

It has a release date now!

Estimated Kickstarter release date: February 2013
Announced release date: September 15, 2022

It sounds like they don't have the majority of the physical rewards and are hoping to use the profits from the Steam release to fund those. So maybe those will come in another decade or so.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Jesus wept.

I cannot wait to see what state this is in by the time it comes out, I'm expecting some real gamebreakers

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hey, do you guys remember radio the universe?

No?

Me neither, and I backed it and lost the login to that.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hey, do you guys remember radio the universe?

No?

Me neither, and I backed it and lost the login to that.

Last May the developer released a version for testing and they posted a public Trello: https://trello.com/b/rRaxEc5z/general-tasklist

I have no idea what's happened since then, no official updates at least.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I played that version and was very whelmed. A friend who backed it sent it to me

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I played that version and was very whelmed. A friend who backed it sent it to me
Can one be whelmed? Does that mean.... good?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Orzo posted:

Can one be whelmed? Does that mean.... good?

I mean I was neither over nor underwhelmed. It was just there.

Which after 10 years of basically nothing means why bother

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 26, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1563194718833369088?s=20&t=avgicZSi-E-z1mg-goFiEQ

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Haha $750k for two games each with tons of stretch goals? There's an entire genre of failed/mediocre crowdfunded spiritual successors that were overambitious/underfunded stretch goal hells and this is bad even as far as that goes.

Like Mighty Number 9 was barely farted out on a of budget several million dollars and it wasn't two whole "large-scale JRPGs"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 26, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Either they don't need the money and the kickstarter is a glorified advertising campaign or they do need the money and... uh oh, either way I'm not in a rush to back this campaign even if I would like to see both those games get made

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a separate article with interviews from both teams saying that it's an interest check to look for a publisher, citing stuff like Bloodstained and Eiyuden Chronicles specifically.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So what happens if the kickstarter succeeds but no publishers bite lmao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

iirc with Bloodstained they set the minimum to the amount that a publisher was willing to buy in at.

The devs of these mentioned they had already talked to several publishers so it's probably a similar deal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

long-ago kickstarted game Ghost Song releases November 3rd

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shadow Hearts is one of my favorite JRPG series, but most of the staff for that has been dispersed across the industry or are no longer active. Matsuzo Machida himself has very few credits to his name, and despite what that article suggests, he was not there for the beginning of the series (not for koudelka or shadow hearts). He came in halfway through the series and is now promoting his new game as the "creator" of Shadow Hearts after doing nothing in the games industry for the last decade? lol, gently caress off

edit:

lol, that's his entire video game career, according to mobygames. He wasn't even a designer, just a "director" and a writer. The person who's actually responsible for the unique and fun battle systems in these games was this fellow. Get him on board, and I'd be vaguely interested (but not enough to actually back the project)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 27, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shadow Heart series is one of the few RPG's I still own on PS2.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Shadow Hearts is one of my favorite JRPG series, but most of the staff for that has been dispersed across the industry or are no longer active. Matsuzo Machida himself has very few credits to his name, and despite what that article suggests, he was not there for the beginning of the series (not for koudelka or shadow hearts). He came in halfway through the series and is now promoting his new game as the "creator" of Shadow Hearts after doing nothing in the games industry for the last decade? lol, gently caress off

That's even worse than Keiji "Father of Megaman" Inafune who actually only did one boss design and some enemy design for the first game. Because at least he worked on the first game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit:

lol, that's his entire video game career, according to mobygames. He wasn't even a designer, just a "director" and a writer. The person who's actually responsible for the unique and fun battle systems in these games was this fellow. Get him on board, and I'd be vaguely interested (but not enough to actually back the project)

Mobygames does not have his entire career because he absolutely worked on SH1 too. He's given interviews about it. Like he was the dude who designed Yuri, he was the one who wrote it, he is legitimately someone you can call the father of Shadow Hearts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 27, 2022

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

ImpAtom posted:

Mobygames does not have his entire career because he absolutely worked on SH1 too. He's given interviews about it.

It's because he was credited under a different name for those ones.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wonder if his credit irregularities were related to some kind of artist union stuff or an easily circumvented employment limitation for working on other projects or something. makes for some funny views now

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ah, my bad. that makes me feel a little better about it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Cavauro posted:

I wonder if his credit irregularities were related to some kind of artist union stuff or an easily circumvented employment limitation for working on other projects or something. makes for some funny views now

I would guess it's probably the opposite of that. The complete lack of any standard for crediting in video games someone might be credited with a nickname in one game and their full name the next whereas in a movie or something you know an actor is going to be credited by their SAG name or whatever

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublekickstarter/armed-fantasia-and-penny-blood

So it's up and going to easily hit its goal. The reward list is a mess though, and I think it's a bit expensive for a buy-in at this point. I'll probably just wait and see how it goes and buy them if/when it comes out.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah it’s a bit messy and a little on the expensive side for how early it is in development for my taste. It’ll do well, though.

Also basically all of the music samples are fuckin’ bangers.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I love Wild Arms, but I'm not throwing $40-$80 on a prayer that it increases a spreadsheet enough for one of the publishers to sign on and fund the rest. Last time I did that they announced it was coming to Gamepass.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Ran into this one via my newsfeed:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81monkeys/world-of-anterra

Don't know why they're asking for this amount of money with a 12-person team, and of course the idea that the game will be available in a year should be disregarded, but it does look interesting. At least from a "man, I wish someone were still making Ultima games" standpoint.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That seems to be making a lot of promises I don't think they'll deliver on.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sankis posted:

I would guess it's probably the opposite of that. The complete lack of any standard for crediting in video games someone might be credited with a nickname in one game and their full name the next whereas in a movie or something you know an actor is going to be credited by their SAG name or whatever

yeah specifically because gaming doesn't have union protections theres always been all sorts of BS with game credits, even now theres tons of "shadow dev" companies that get outsourced tons of work (including design!) uncredited like TOSE. Its deliberately anticompetitive & It's especially egregious when it comes 2 Japanese games but i mean EA & Activision both only exist because they originally sold themselves to devs on the premise of "we will credit u unlike atari".

e: also it doesn't help that there's no reliable database/IMDB equivalent, mobygames or giant bomb are the closest but both have tons and tons of errors/missing info

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 1, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will make the IMDB of games but I will credit everything to Tetsuya Nomura, Hideo Kojima or Akira Toriyama.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
hell yes it happened

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1571259087991746560

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's kinda comical how badly all the ex-Sierra Kickstarter and Kickstarter adjacent projects have gone.

Hero-U: The Coles had to mortgage their house to finish their game.

Leisure Suit Larry Remake: I feel like Al Lowe should have realized that maybe leaving this game in the 80's would have been for the best.

Spaceventure: Spend 10 years creating a new engine for a graphic adventure, still busted and broken.

Jane Jensen's project: Actually, I don't remember how that one turned out.

And after seeing all that, the Williams are producing a remake of the original text adventure Colossal Cave. At least they aren't crowdfunding.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sierra is what killed the Adventure game genre (along with the transition to 3D), so no surprise the kickstarters are all giant flops.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The LSL remake was also done with Paul Trowe who seems like more than just a bit of a creep. Someone on the Escapist forums found an article about a guy named Paul Trowe getting convicted of child molestation as a teenager, and he was about the same age as you’d expect the Paul Trowe who worked at Sierra to be. On top of that his Twitter at least used to have a bunch of crypto poo poo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I just got to and past the part where that Tweet with screencaps of the walkthrough ends. The hitbox you have to click on exists to the side of the object you need to actually click on, and then after you move to position for the next interactive click it animates an object that clips into and pushes Ace until he walks out of the way. I had most of it down by just clicking randomly (as per the genre), but that misplaced spot I needed to click on made it effectively impossible.

This is janky, but it's not that unintuitive. What I'd really love though is that normally prevalent feature where you can skip voiced dialogue with a click or button press, but instead clicking starts the voice line over immediately in the most annoying way possible.