Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Klyith posted:

not thrilling that they've hitched their wagon to Dr Disrespect as their brand guy

Oh well gently caress them right into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I was curious so I went to their website and on the US version there are 3 models available at reasonable prices with one of them also available refurbished for 20$ off and 1 more model available for pre-order. On the Canadian version, there's the same model available for preorder, but only 2 other models and they're sold out, their regular price is about 10$ more than the exchange rate would dictate and they have no refurbished option. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and presume that there are no sales on the CA site because everything is sold out, but right now the price for the Kone Pro Air is 100 USD but 170 CAD, which would be downright insulting.

The Kone XP available for preorder actually follows the exchange rate, so that's good.

Edit: I only looked at the wireless mice.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 5, 2022

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I was looking at the Roccat Kone AIMO but 6 out of the last 10 sorted by most recent reviews said it failed within a year and/or the scroll wheel started not working correctly. Apparently Roccat has a 2 year warranty, but will only do one replacement.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

codo27 posted:

What would you say sets it apart? I mean for me, just personally, I dont feel like I'm being held back at all by my mouse or that it leaves anything to be desired. I can see the appeal of optical switches but thats more a longevity thing right?

I'm not paying $Logitech for a mouse that starts flaking out in under a month. Thanks for that by the way, Steelseries!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I have a very old and very lovely Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical that's finally on its way out. Does anyone know of a company making clones, or even rough approximations? Ideally it would be the same size and shape (the ergonomics are perfect for me, every other mouse feels worse), have three and only three buttons, and no RGB gamer stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zephro posted:

I have a very old and very lovely Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical that's finally on its way out. Does anyone know of a company making clones, or even rough approximations? Ideally it would be the same size and shape (the ergonomics are perfect for me, every other mouse feels worse), have three and only three buttons, and no RGB gamer stuff.

The MS Intellimouse Classic is the same shape but has the extra side buttons.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-classic-intellimouse/94k0pmt1cmfw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

As far as mice that have 3 and only 3 buttons, you're either looking at super cheap oem biz mice that are probably terrible, or bizarrely expensive gamer mice that avoid extra buttons to be super lightweight. There's not much in between.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Maybe it’s because I play games nowhere near as much as anyone else but I’ve been mostly fine with my Logitech mice until my G900 started having contact issues on a side button of all things (clearly I spend more time browsing webpages than gaming) but they tend to last about 2 years for me roughly before I get tired of them. I got this G900 in 2018 roughly I think so it’s been on track. My stupid infinite scroll addiction keeps me on Logitech mice though and nobody else’s scroll wheel feels quite the same. Seriously, my productivity setup is all about scrolling through piles of text at 120 Hz+. I basically speedread through my days.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

The MS Intellimouse Classic is the same shape but has the extra side buttons.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-classic-intellimouse/94k0pmt1cmfw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

As far as mice that have 3 and only 3 buttons, you're either looking at super cheap oem biz mice that are probably terrible, or bizarrely expensive gamer mice that avoid extra buttons to be super lightweight. There's not much in between.
That looks like a 3.0 clone rather than WMO.

Zephro posted:

Gamesense MVP Wired ($60) or Gamesense MVP Wireless ($100) are pretty decent WMO clones. There are a few changes from the WMO, notably the side buttons/scroll wheel are better & the right side of the mouse is built slightly different.

It breaks a few of the asks: it has more buttons & it has rgb by default. You can turn the rgb off in the software and it will save the settings to the mouse so you'll never see it again. For the buttons, honestly the side buttons on this mouse are great. If you want them both to function as one button you can change that in the software too, they will still be separate physical buttons but you can make them both be mouse4 or whatever.

The only other kinda modern option is the Zowie FK2-B, but it's somewhat dated, smaller, and a bit different from the WMO as well.

The last options are just finding another wmo or trying to figure out what you want from a modern mouse shape-wise. It will take a few weeks to get used to something new, but there are lots of comfortable shapes out there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's impressive that the wheel mouse optical made it so long. I got one as my first optical mouse and it broke just outside of warranty (usb cable conductor broken issue). I went logitech after that with the Mouseman Wheel. It even still works although I haven't used it in a while. I guess it's been about 20 years!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Thanks for that by the way, Steelseries!

You were unlucky. They make good stuff, lemons happen.

General Calculus
Aug 2, 2014
My Logitech gaming mouse I got at the end of 2019 is double clicking pretty much every time I left click with it. Every gaming mouse I have ever gotten develops this problem after a year or two, and I am getting sick of it. Can any of you recommend mice that are less likely to have this issue?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Optical switch.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
But mice with optical switches seem to have scrollwheel issues (they start reversing direction intermittently).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's no connection there, mice with optical switches use the same type of scrollwheel encoder that mice with mechanical switches do

General Calculus
Aug 2, 2014
Been looking at a few options from Corsair, Razer, and Roccat. I have really big hands, but the mice I've seen designed for big hands don't seem to have optical switches, while I can't tell with a lot of the optical switch mice how big they are from the info online. The Corsair Ironclaw looked promising, but I think its switch is mechanical. Any big handed people in here have a mouse with an optical switch?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RTINGS has a tool for that

https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare/corsair-ironclaw-rgb-wireless-vs.-razer-deathadder-v2-pro

the deathadder is a decent starting point if you want a big mouse with optical switches

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've got a G203 Lightsync mouse that keeps double clicking.

ive read online that this might be due to moisture? I see nothing in the setup that i've set it to do this

any suggestions?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I've got a G203 Lightsync mouse that keeps double clicking.

ive read online that this might be due to moisture? I see nothing in the setup that i've set it to do this

any suggestions?

It might be the software or the switches in the mouse. Try reinstalling the Logitech G Hub software. Failing that, if you are handy with a soldering iron you can open up the mouse and replace the switches in it to one less prone to failure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Another option is cleaning the contacts inside the switch.

This is much easier that replacing switches for someone who doesn't have soldering iron skills, but is not a permanent fix. The problem will come back sometime; in my experience as fast as 6 months to a bit over a year. But probably even faster if the double-click happened quickly on a relatively new mouse.

FizFashizzle posted:

ive read online that this might be due to moisture?

Kinda sorta: moisture makes the contacts get crapped up faster. But this can just be humidity in the air, not actual water.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

repiv posted:

RTINGS has a tool for that

https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare/corsair-ironclaw-rgb-wireless-vs.-razer-deathadder-v2-pro

the deathadder is a decent starting point if you want a big mouse with optical switches

That's a fantastic tool - thanks for sharing it!

Btw, I didn't mean to imply that optical switches cause scrollwheels to have the reverse-direction issue. Only that it seems to be correlated that companies that use optical switches also have bad scrollwheels. That's my data point of 1 with Razer, at least. I could be wrong!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my last mouse (endgame xm1r) had mechanical switches and ended up crapping out in the way you described, registering reversed inputs on the wheel

i think that's a firmware issue with them not filtering the encoders output adequately

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well I'm trying out the ROCCAT Kone AIMO despite the mouse wheel issues rather than buying a 5th Logitech G600. It's a big mouse, but definitely not a replacement of the feel of the G600 to the point where I kind of don't like it. I had to disable the T3 button as I seemed to keep accidentally pressing it, not a huge deal as I wouldn't use that button for anything anyways. It feels like my hand is sliding all over, wish there was a bit of grip or maybe after a while my hand oils will make it less slick. The lighting is actually pretty cool if you are into that, I would probably prefer no lights but I can't even find a mouse I like as is let alone putting any importance on that.

I wouldn't buy this one again if it flakes out, but I'm stubborn and I'll use it for now rather than buying another Logitech mouse. Probably see you all again in a year or two :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

katkillad2 posted:

Well I'm trying out the ROCCAT Kone AIMO despite the mouse wheel issues rather than buying a 5th Logitech G600. It's a big mouse, but definitely not a replacement of the feel of the G600 to the point where I kind of don't like it. I had to disable the T3 button as I seemed to keep accidentally pressing it, not a huge deal as I wouldn't use that button for anything anyways. It feels like my hand is sliding all over, wish there was a bit of grip or maybe after a while my hand oils will make it less slick. The lighting is actually pretty cool if you are into that, I would probably prefer no lights but I can't even find a mouse I like as is let alone putting any importance on that.

I wouldn't buy this one again if it flakes out, but I'm stubborn and I'll use it for now rather than buying another Logitech mouse. Probably see you all again in a year or two :negative:

Maybe it's a Roccat thing, but my Kone XP is absolutely a slick mouse as well and I can definitely see people having an issue with that depending on their grip.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The Roccat KPA coating is really good

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

THE mouse has a new version out today. The Basilisk V3 Pro:
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/razer-basilisk-v3-pro

Wireless (proprietary 2.4 and bluetooth) with optional wireless charging puck, and a new dock that's basically a Qi charger with RGB and their wacky 4k polling rate dongle built in.

$159 American dollars just for the mouse, charging puck is $20, and the dock is $70 (comes with a charging puck). $200 for the whole bundle through the Razer store.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

112 grams :hmmno:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

CBD Corndog posted:

THE mouse has a new version out today. The Basilisk V3 Pro:
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/razer-basilisk-v3-pro

Wireless (proprietary 2.4 and bluetooth) with optional wireless charging puck, and a new dock that's basically a Qi charger with RGB and their wacky 4k polling rate dongle built in.

$159 American dollars just for the mouse, charging puck is $20, and the dock is $70 (comes with a charging puck). $200 for the whole bundle through the Razer store.

Time for a thread name change, mods.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Time for a thread name change, mods.
Inflation takes no prisoners.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'd pay $200 for an ambi viper with 4khz and no RGB. Sadly, this product will never exist.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Deathadder v3 is out too, and they finally adjusted the shape

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I ended up getting a deathadder v2 pro. I had to read random reddit threads to verify, but it'll save your setting if you turn off RGB.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

K8.0 posted:

I'd pay $200 for an ambi viper with 4khz and no RGB. Sadly, this product will never exist.

If you’re not joking around, Razer just released their “hyperpolling dongle” for the Viper V2 Pro that gives it 4Khz functionality. I feel like you’re hyper pulling my dongle though.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice-accessories/razer-hyperpolling-wireless-dongle

E: unless you mean they’ll never make it with the buttons on both sides again, which yeah doesn’t seem like it’s coming back

demostars fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 24, 2022

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I think using tiny mice for so long has broken me. I picked up a Pulsar X2 medium and mini and the medium just feels enormous.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yerok posted:

I think using tiny mice for so long has broken me. I picked up a Pulsar X2 medium and mini and the medium just feels enormous.

Keep it up; eventually your hand will stretch out again and it'll feel more natural.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My deathadder is starting to poo poo itself which is great because I hate razer and want something else; however there is a problem.

I rely on the sensitivity up/down button behind the mousewheel to adjust windows volume. This is done via the loving horrible 'synapse' software because as far as I know there is no way of binding this within windows itself.

Three questions:

1) Is there now a windows utility or anything built-in where I can bind system volume to mouse buttons like this?

2) Is there a mouse that lets me bind that somehow within the mouse so that I can have volume up/down control on buttons on the mouse but also not need to have any software package running while using it?

3) What are the popular mice these days that are similar (palm not claw) to the deathadder? I love the form factor just wish it was built more professionally and I didn't have to use synapse.

Thank you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VelociBacon posted:

1) Is there now a windows utility or anything built-in where I can bind system volume to mouse buttons like this?

2) Is there a mouse that lets me bind that somehow within the mouse so that I can have volume up/down control on buttons on the mouse but also not need to have any software package running while using it?

1. Not really as a built-into-windows thing. And not every mouse will take media keys like volume_down as bindings. You can always put an elaborate combo like ctrl+win+shift+numpad_minus on the mouse button, and use something like autohotkey to translate that combo to volume_down. Autohotkey is at least extremely minimal.

2. Yes, the thing you are looking for is "on-board profiles". This means you set the horrible software package to not to load at startup, and only run it when you need to change settings on the mouse. Most logitech G mice have this, as do many other mice -- most current Razers do as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

1. Not really as a built-into-windows thing. And not every mouse will take media keys like volume_down as bindings. You can always put an elaborate combo like ctrl+win+shift+numpad_minus on the mouse button, and use something like autohotkey to translate that combo to volume_down. Autohotkey is at least extremely minimal.

2. Yes, the thing you are looking for is "on-board profiles". This means you set the horrible software package to not to load at startup, and only run it when you need to change settings on the mouse. Most logitech G mice have this, as do many other mice -- most current Razers do as well.

Thank you for the response. If anyone with a mouse that uses on-board profiles would be willing to check if they can set one of the buttons to system volume +/- I'd be very grateful! Then I can start looking at mice from that brand.

Thanks goons.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Thank you for the response. If anyone with a mouse that uses on-board profiles would be willing to check if they can set one of the buttons to system volume +/- I'd be very grateful! Then I can start looking at mice from that brand.

Thanks goons.

That's the way I've got my Roccat Kone XP set up: In my case, there's a small paddle by my thumb (which is a LOT more convenient to use than it might sound) that--when held--lets me adjust system volume by scrolling the mouse wheel up or down. That's not the way it has to be done, but I felt like it was the most convenient way to access those inputs personally. And because of the on-board profile, these settings work even when I use the mouse on other computers (including ones that have never had Roccat's software installed on them).

That being said, I imagine that most decent mice with on-board memory can be customized to do the same thing in a variety of ways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's the way I've got my Roccat Kone XP set up: In my case, there's a small paddle by my thumb (which is a LOT more convenient to use than it might sound) that--when held--lets me adjust system volume by scrolling the mouse wheel up or down. That's not the way it has to be done, but I felt like it was the most convenient way to access those inputs personally. And because of the on-board profile, these settings work even when I use the mouse on other computers (including ones that have never had Roccat's software installed on them).

That being said, I imagine that most decent mice with on-board memory can be customized to do the same thing in a variety of ways.

Awesome - thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

drat, I just saw a review for the new G502 X and X Plus which are a revision of the G502 lightspeed that have USB-C and some hybrid optical switches (not sure if hybrid stands for a model name, that the switches are some kind of hybrid optical/mech switch, or that only some switches are optical). They also weigh 102 and 106 grams which is a little lighter than the current G502 lightspeed. I kind of like that there's a no-RGB version for $20 less (I think the MRSP is $140 and $160). I just got two G502 lightspeeds 10 months ago or so, so I'm not ready to buy anything new, but it's cool that they're revising it. I especially like the USB-C port since the micro-USB is a real pain in the rear end. You can charge it from the bottom puck, though.

Anyway, randomfrankp doesn't do a lot of super in depth reviews but he seems to get a lot of press kits so here's his look at them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPBQaU8iUo