Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

echomadman posted:

The BMW G450x had that, looked like a total pain in the bollocks to change sprockets.

G650X too, and yes.

Shelvocke posted:

Bike was 4.5k new. I got it from an guy who deals exclusively in e-bikes about 2 hours away. Nice guy, lots of info, very little bullshit, let me test ride everything. Got it fully assembled and he registered it on the phone while I was fiddling with cutting the derestrictor wire (lol).

Range depends a lot on riding. A prolonged hill climb will eat battery more quickly. Pootling around the woods hopping over logs and it'll last a lot longer. Today I did a mix of high speed riding on the ridge and doing some flowy single track with regen (similar to engine breaking in feel) set to 4, and I rode for 1.5 - 2 hours and had 28% left on the battery.

Supposedly it'll go 62 miles on eco mode in a city, I think at my weight with mixed riding mostly off road on sport 40 miles is about right. Probably more helpful to think of it in terms of time, so 2 hours ish.

The sting has a slightly larger battery compartment that isn't fully utilised, supposedly a custom battery could go up to around 70aH (current one is 38) and batteries are improving by about 5% year on year. By the time this bike needs a new battery maybe I'll be able to get a 100aH one, who knows.

It's small enough to go in my car if I take the front wheel off, so I just drive to the trail to skip the boring and range eating road bit. I'll probably get a tow bar rack sometime, or make one.

100ah or ~5 hours on that sounds like you're getting into serious competing with regular dirt bikes territory for woods riding. How fast are we talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
It goes around 50 on the road, and has great acceleration up to 40ish. It feels very fast in the woods, probably due to weighing a lot less than but having more torque than something like a crf300l, and you can brake from full speed and take off again in a very small distance. It's fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

It goes around 50 on the road, and has great acceleration up to 40ish. It feels very fast in the woods, probably due to weighing a lot less than but having more torque than something like a crf300l, and you can brake from full speed and take off again in a very small distance. It's fun.

That is surprisingly fast I must say.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, drat that sounds like a fuckin hoot.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mate that’s awesome. Next time I’m down south I’m going to come ooh and aah at it!

How heavy is it?

Wondering if I got one if I could use one of those U style wall clamp things for the wheels to hold it vertical (back wheel resting on the ground).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So what is it and how do you get it?

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Strife posted:

I hadn't considered the possibility that people could make lovely electric cafe ratbikes.

My first thought on seeing that image was man I wonder if that dude is still alive.

Wicker park is a bastion of hipsters and lovely mods.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Wild. I used to live near wicker park. Part of me misses it. Most of me doesn't.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

SEKCobra posted:

So what is it and how do you get it?

Since there's a lot more interest than I expected I'll do a write up when I'm back from holiday. I haven't really flogged it yet as I'm trying not break anything before I get married but soon(tm)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Steakandchips posted:

How heavy is it?

Wondering if I got one if I could use one of those U style wall clamp things for the wheels to hold it vertical (back wheel resting on the ground).

It is 58kg, and carries weight very low down, since the motor, controller and battery sit low in the frame. Getting it in and out of the car and shed, and throwing it around on the trail, are not difficult at all, especially when you're used to 150kg and up.

I lay it down in the car but I think it would leak from the gearbox vent hose if you completely inverted it for a prolonged period (without a clamp or cap). The gearbox is the main difference between it and the Sur Ron, which has a drive belt.

Took it out this evening for a short ride. I'm taking it places locally that I wouldn't have thought to before because it's so quiet and unobtrusive. Farmers give friendly waves instead of open hostility, horse riders thank me for being considerate, and most people seem to think it's a bicycle.

In Eco mode I wouldn't hesitate to let my mother ride it. In Sport it wheelies easily. I love it.

I think I want to start doing trials and enduro with it. There's an enduro track not too far away but I may try to find some woods locally that I can practice log hopping.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
man I'm super intrigued about that type of bike. Here they're sold as street legal mopeds and nerfed to 45km/h, but un-nerfing them seems trivial. Not sure if they can be registered here as an A1 class motorcycle though.
Like you said, it's probably possible to ride them where a combustion dirtbike would be frowned upon. If studded winter tires in the relevant dimension(s) can be sourced, it would probably be a hoot on snow and ice in the winter when the motorcycle itch is otherwise hard to scratch, and the low weight is probably extra great if you drop it a lot which seems inevitable in those conditions.

I saw a used one locally where the ad stated that a ball hitch carrier was included in the deal. That would make transporting it super easy since I already have a ball hitch on my car, and deadlifting 58kg should be doable. The battery is easily removable as well, right? That would make it even more doable.
Might be a little hefty to carry like this, but it would be humorous:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
ngl I want to get one of the 2x2 racks.

But I probably won't have to.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

ngl I want to get one of the 2x2 racks.

But I probably won't have to.

same. it’d be perfect for the camping I do

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Exactly that. MTB rides/races | camping | velodrome racing

buuuut I'm putting all this poo poo into a trailer behind my lilbaby f350 so fuckits.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Derestricting takes about 5 minutes; remove a panel, snip a looped wire, do a Sega Mega drive cheat code with the control buttons and you're done.

Battery comes out with the turn of a key, and has an easy carry strap. I take it out when I put it in the car. Going to weld a rack when I get a moment.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I found this in my FB feed today.

So this guy took an MZ250 (East-German) and stuffed this 1100cc 2-stroke engine in there, originally intended for pumping water on a fire truck.
Apparently it's the largest 2-stroke engine in a motorcycle, or so he claims. The numbers are kind of poo poo.
East Germans love their MZ and Simson bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey now, tripling the factory power output isn't poo poo!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

Apparently it's the largest 2-stroke engine in a motorcycle, or so he claims. The numbers are kind of poo poo.
This guy's project might have him beat shortly:

https://youtu.be/aAQQwrrOklM

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Invalido posted:

man I'm super intrigued about that type of bike. Here they're sold as street legal mopeds and nerfed to 45km/h, but un-nerfing them seems trivial. Not sure if they can be registered here as an A1 class motorcycle though.
Like you said, it's probably possible to ride them where a combustion dirtbike would be frowned upon. If studded winter tires in the relevant dimension(s) can be sourced, it would probably be a hoot on snow and ice in the winter when the motorcycle itch is otherwise hard to scratch, and the low weight is probably extra great if you drop it a lot which seems inevitable in those conditions.

I saw a used one locally where the ad stated that a ball hitch carrier was included in the deal. That would make transporting it super easy since I already have a ball hitch on my car, and deadlifting 58kg should be doable. The battery is easily removable as well, right? That would make it even more doable.
Might be a little hefty to carry like this, but it would be humorous:

Won't they have issues with the batteries in the cold? Presumably they don't have any clever "keep it warm" stuff going on with those given the price/general use case?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

builds character posted:

Won't they have issues with the batteries in the cold? Presumably they don't have any clever "keep it warm" stuff going on with those given the price/general use case?

I would assume that it's potentially a bit of an issue but as long as the pack is easily removable there's simple and effective workaround. I winter commute on e-bikes and I just bring the batteries indoors when the bikes are parked in the cold. Even when it's -20C which is around my pain threshold riding is fine if you start out with a room temperature battery, since they give off a bit of heat from discharge they won't cool down too much. Adding a bit of battery insulation would be trivial on my bikes but I've never had the need.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I take the battery indoors to charge because it drastically reduces how valuable it would be to steal anyway.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That lean angle tho.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Invalido posted:

That lean angle tho.

The thought of getting that close to a bike leaning over that far on ice when its wheels are a looped treadmill made of blender parts makes me very nevous.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Look at the Green fender. Your fears are warranted.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah that would be a bad time when the tires look like hot topic bracelets.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That explains the hard padding on feet and lower legs.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Double post, but I finally found this video from my trip to Japan:

https://i.imgur.com/5AfELqr.mp4

This was the second half of the group that got separated by a light, which everyone reasonably obeyed and didn't just run through.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 5, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lol.
https://twitter.com/ConsumerSOS/status/1568225101656768514?s=20&t=21hSRPHkEru3dNR-FLoPGQ

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

MSF Instructor: "Walk it or ride it! Walk it or ride it!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I do like the fetching colour matched stripe on his brain bucket. Quite stylish. Matches well with his skinny turn-ups and arm tats (which I'm willing to bet contain at least one of the following motifs: ace of spades, skull, anchor, or swallows). Man knows how to accessorize. loving-tragic-chic.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

As a proud DRZ400 owner this makes me smile.

For a while I thought someone was stealing my plates. That is until one day I found my bike with just half a plate snapped off at the mounting bolts.

Thats when I realized it was from me jumping it off stuff and the rear suspension compressing enough for the tire to eat the plate. with no rider on the bike, those two things are like 30 inches apart.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That bike could've easily made it over that if he had any moxy whatsoever but like all cosplayers he fundamentally fears the bike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Clearly the guy has never ridden a dirtbike. He could have easily gotten over that. I kept waiting for a bump of throttle and it never came, at least not even close to the right time.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Verman posted:

Clearly the guy has never ridden a dirtbike. He could have easily gotten over that. I kept waiting for a bump of throttle and it never came, at least not even close to the right time.

I was waiting for him to whip it over the curb and layer dan. Riding up curbs is something I think most people can't do due to lack of practice. Doesn't help when you are riding something like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ll be the first person to dunk on Harleys of that style for making more noise than power, but even I can admit that that bike definitely has more than enough power to raise itself up a 4 inch tall curb.

What a gigantic turd

The rider, in this case, not the bike.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I know that road, I frequent it often. It's a lot easier to go around the other side....where there is no curb just some rubble and old streetcar tracks. Although my frame of reference may be janked as i'm on a 690 enduro

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

That is truly outrageous. And magnificent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are times when I get cocky and think “I’m a pretty good rider actually” and then I see things like that and am reminded that no, in fact, I’m not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I wish I was this good:
https://i.imgur.com/TTVIPTx.mp4

I wish ???? I had a knee slider on my helmet?
https://i.imgur.com/711v8zf.mp4