Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Framboise posted:

NYC in general seems like an incredibly cursed place. I am not sure why it gets idolized so much.

Which flyover state do you live in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
NYC is the greatest place in the world, anyone who has ever been there knows that. Only thing I don't like is how the locals hate when midwesterners like me stop in the middle of the sidewalk and point at the Chrysler building because "holy loving poo poo! look at that awesome building!"

They should take more time out of their lives to realize they live in the greatest place in human history, period.

Oh yeah and a bottle of wine that costs $12 here is $60 there, that sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New York City? More like New Yuck lovely

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Which flyover state do you live in?

One that is probably just as cursed in its own way, but the difference is no one's under any illusions of it not being that way*.

*except probably our politicians

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Framboise posted:

NYC in general seems like an incredibly cursed place. I am not sure why it gets idolized so much.

It's hyped up by people who have enough money and means to not ride the subway

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Jabberlock posted:

It's hyped up by people who have enough money and means to not ride the subway

The subway is also great. I would prefer homeless people masturbated in the library and not the subway cars, but they were there before me so I guess it’s not really my place to stop them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Framboise posted:

Frank Sinatra wrote a song about it.

He didn't write a song called Cincinatti, Cincinatti did he?

Checkmate athetits.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I always imagine the midwest like that town from Napoleon Dynamite. A complete cultural wasteland where the only marker for what year it is are the songs on the radio. Uninspired chuds set up the bare minimum amount of civilisation required to plant corn and eventually turn it into diabetes.

I lived in NY for a time and I'll take being a subway jerker over that life any day.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Napoleon Dynamite shows how amazing life is in Idaho.

Unrelated:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nigmaetcetera posted:

NYC is the greatest place in the world, anyone who has ever been there knows that. Only thing I don't like is how the locals hate when midwesterners like me stop in the middle of the sidewalk and point at the Chrysler building because "holy loving poo poo! look at that awesome building!"

They should take more time out of their lives to realize they live in the greatest place in human history, period.

Oh yeah and a bottle of wine that costs $12 here is $60 there, that sucks.

I've been to other major cities around the world. NYC is pretty cool, and maybe the best city in the US. It's no Tokyo, though. Not even close.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The subway is also great. I would prefer homeless people masturbated in the library and not the subway cars, but they were there before me so I guess it’s not really my place to stop them.

The subway is amazing, you can be shithouse drunk, lost in the wrong borough with a dead phone, and just slur words at a New Yorker and they'll somehow direct you to the correct train to get home.

Incidentally that is the only time a New Yorker will talk to you, every other transaction is handled in the native language, a series of nagatory or affirmative grunts or car horn blasts depending on location.

Unrelated.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 31, 2022

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I :mad:
N.Y.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nigmaetcetera posted:

NYC is the greatest place in the world

Those losers can't even make barbecue or fried chicken.

Doesn't even break the top 20 for Northeastern cities that start with N.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The only thing that really sucks about NYC other than the subway being unreliable lately is that the Mexican food is hot garbage (apparently it's ok some places in queens)

In Chicago I've never been more than a 5 minute walk from a 7/10 hole in the wall Mexican joint and every neighborhood has one or two 10/10 ones

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The food in New York is just unbelievably dire no matter where you go.

It's like if you took everything cool out of New Orleans and only kept the gentrification and the piss odor.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

NYC is just lovely Tokyo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Anime Liker posted:

It's like if you took everything cool out of New Orleans and only kept the gentrification and the piss odor.

I'm gonna finish this shwarma from this food cart at 4:30AM, and then I'm gonna try and kick your rear end before the food poisoning kicks in.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Elviscat posted:

I'm gonna finish this shwarma from this food cart at 4:30AM, and then I'm gonna try and kick your rear end before the food poisoning kicks in.

No shwarma, only khlav kalash.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
Midwesterners even hosed up pizza. Chi town has that deep dick pizza or whatever it is. I've never had it but it looks like heartburn waiting to happen. On the other hand Ye came out of Chicago so yeah

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Thanks to the FDA it's getting almost impossible to buy a good can of crab juice from a cart

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"It's da greatest city in da woild baybee"

- bumpkin who's never been more than 15 blocks from home and doesn't realize he lives in an Epcot Center facsimile of other cultures where white guys with ponytails are serving him "Mexicano Authentico" and he thinks he's in some great sophisticated melting pot

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"Wah Wah, New York's not the literal cultural center of the entire United States and one of the few great cities of the world"

-some dork who's jealous as hell of NYC

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Anime Liker posted:

Those losers can't even make barbecue or fried chicken.

Those are for poor people. NYC food is made from poor people.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/PDjllOF.mp4
Post more images and less dumb opinions about places. plz.k.thanks

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

staberind posted:

http://i.imgur.com/PDjllOF.mp4
Post more images and less dumb opinions about places. plz.k.thanks

Blessed.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Elviscat posted:

"Wah Wah, New York's not the literal cultural center of the entire United States and one of the few great cities of the world"

-some dork who's jealous as hell of NYC

Post your apartment and how much you pay for it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr. Fix It posted:

NYC is just lovely Tokyo

how many anime pillows do you have?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Teddy Taste always wants his taste

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Burt Gherkin posted:

Midwesterners even hosed up pizza. Chi town has that deep dick pizza or whatever it is. I've never had it but it looks like heartburn waiting to happen. On the other hand Ye came out of Chicago so yeah

Lol have you seen that pizza abomination from detroit(?) covered in Kraft cheese singles or whatever it is? That is truly cursed.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

Lol have you seen that pizza abomination from detroit(?) covered in Kraft cheese singles or whatever it is? That is truly cursed.

I think that is Cincinnati, Detroit is the rectangular one

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Yaldabaoth posted:

Jesus truly is a curse on all levels.

This is a photoshop of some ancient youtube video btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufRlApJtxk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Anime Liker posted:

Tell me you've never been to Queens without telling me you've never been to Queens.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Navigating Queens is cursed af though.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

ultrafilter posted:

Imagine that laid down on top of extremely hilly terrain, with very steep ups and downs all over the place. That's driving in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

ultrafilter posted:

poo poo like this is why I navigate using landmarks like most living creatures do.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
I'll stay in one of the Zero 9/11's countries, thank you.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ultrafilter posted:

Tell me you've never been to Queens without telling me you've never been to Queens.

What's your favorite place in Queens to get a worse version of something you'd find in Philly or El Paso or San Francisco or New Orleans?

And how tight is the man bun of the server mispronouncing the name of the dish?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
New York would be better without the New Yorkers. Also, if it wasn't in the US. Either/or, really.

Like, if New York was in Canada, it would probably be pretty awesome.

Wait, that's Toronto, right? Never been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Toronto desperately wishes it was NY