Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm reading Behave and drat, this paragraph hits home hard

Topical page snipe (my favourite kind) - FTSE 350 chief executives to earn 63 times average workers in 2022

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1564888066849996801?s=21&t=tN5POJcc_bX1HBgJ0MxuXQ

I could believe it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It would be very Churchillian, but that implies a level of effort beyond the accidental.

Apraxin posted:

i was like 'oh that can't be right, surely' so i checked the amazon listing and her new book, a 'taut detective thriller' clocks in at 1,024 pages :psyduck:.
She had to make it a nice round power of two, she doesn't believe in non-binary.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

She had to make it a nice round power of two, she doesn't believe in non-binary.

Lmao

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(I can't believe I'm saying this but...)
In fairness to BoJo, I don't think he is the reason that Russia and Ukraine didn't reach a ceasefire.

Like how many times has Russia agreed to create humanitarian corridors out of cities...then shelled those routes.
Or when they signed and agreement to allow the ports to open up so grain could be transported...then the next day shot a cruise missiles at the port.

There hasn't been a ceasefire in this conflict, because there isn't a desire on the Russian side for a ceasefire. Boris can't scuttle this because it is a non-starter.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't get people who don't see that car heavy areas are loving poo poo even if you're in a car.

This is just a symptom of carbrain - the world (and people) outside the windscreen don't really exist.

Here in Peterborough the council (no overall control, Conservatives the largest party) used the 2020 lockdowns as a chance to experiment with temporary extra bike lanes on key roads (they'd just announced an e-bike hire scheme, which started in October 2020 before being suspended within a month due to vandalism problems...) and during the glorious Eat Out To Help Out times they let the restaurants on the main eatery street in the city centre put their tables out on the road.

Now all of those bike lanes have been removed, apart from one on the main bridge over the railway in the city centre, and the restaurants have retreated to the pavement, which was widened slightly so there is room for tables and chairs and pedestrians - at the expense of space allowing cars to pull up to the kerb with room for traffic to pass, so that street is now a no stopping zone.

Some people (notably they tend to be from suburbs and outlying villages, not the city itself) are so loving furious about both these things. All the usual bad-faith arguments about disabled people, emergency services, business deliveries and so on, and apparently the bike lane on the bridge encourages crime (by allowing youths on BMXs into the leafy suburb on the other side). But underpinning all of it is an outrage that the authorities are doing something that doesn't directly, obviously, immediately and solely benefit them. You mean I might have to queue for a minute longer on the Crescent Bridge? While other people speed past on bikes? Do they think they're better than me or something?They don't even pay road tax:argh:

It's also interesting seeing the different approaches taken in the phase of the New Town development here - they were all built for car traffic, but the first phase (designed when car ownership wasn't as widespread) has wide foot/cycle paths separated from the dual carriageways by grass verges, and there are trees lining the streets, underpasses at the roundabouts and a good network of paths running through green spaces away from the arterial routes so access to the residential areas is mostly separate for people and cars.

The second phase, designed at the peak of Cars Are The Future, is a grim automotive dystopia like your pic - no greenery, no trees, a pavement slapped down right next to the road and the housing developments are like Californian tract suburbia - lots of disorientating, needlessly sinuous roads and deadend cul-de-sacs, and all the shops and community facilities gathered into centralised courts which are easy to drive to but tedious and unpleasant to walk to.

The new phase, done this century, is back to a more multi-modal plan, clearly designed to encourage walking/biking on short local distances while allowing free-flowing car traffic out towards the ring road. Still an appalling lack of proper separated cycle paths and bike storage, though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

(I can't believe I'm saying this but...)
In fairness to BoJo, I don't think he is the reason that Russia and Ukraine didn't reach a ceasefire.

Like how many times has Russia agreed to create humanitarian corridors out of cities...then shelled those routes.
Or when they signed and agreement to allow the ports to open up so grain could be transported...then the next day shot a cruise missiles at the port.

There hasn't been a ceasefire in this conflict, because there isn't a desire on the Russian side for a ceasefire. Boris can't scuttle this because it is a non-starter.

Regardless of the outcome, the notion that the British Prime Minister actively tried to sabotage them (especially when this war is indirectly responsible for the massive rise in energy prices that are going to literally kill British people this winter) is loving appalling.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Or possibly The Blue Cat.

Mah name's boookssston

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Do you lose all advantages after you have been through male puberty then transition? Because the numbers on swimming for 16 year old boys vs Olympian women is quite a stark difference. I think the issue people have (whether they are outright transphobes or just looking at the numbers) is someone like Lia Thomas, on the numbers I saw (and of course there could be skullduggery going on with figures floating around in these debates) is that she lost a couple of seconds on her times after transitioning but that still made her faster than 96% of her new peer group, as opposed to something like 74% of her old peer group. Is that an advantage?

Looking into this and the Indie suggests the numbers are more interesting https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/lia-thomas-trans-swimmer-ron-desantis-b2091218.html

quote:

The Independent compiled a dataset of swim times for all top 8 NCAA women's finishers over the last six years of competition in various events. 2020 was excluded because all NCAA championships were cancelled that year due to the pandemic.

In other words, this data only includes the absolute best college swimmers in these events. It goes back far enough to cover Katie Ledecky's 4m 24.06s record in the 500 yard race and Missy Franklin's 1m 38.10s record in the 200 yard race, both of which still stand today.

In this field, Ms Thomas's time in the 500 yards is the eighth fastest out of 56. That is notable because there are only seven events in the dataset, meaning there are some where her time would have only place her third.

In the 100 yard race, her time is 55th out of 56 in The Independent's data, and her time in the 200 yard race is the 31st out of 5.

Her 500 yard time of 4m 33.24 is just above the average (4m 36.07s), while her 100 yard time of 48.18s is just below average (47.06s), as is her 200 yard time of 1m 43.24s (compared to 1m42.85).

The Independent also looked at numbers for the 500 yard men's race, where Ms Thomas has competed at a high level in both men's and women's events, from 2015 to 2021. There, her finishing time is more than 20 seconds below the men's average.

quote:

Ms Hogshead-Makar also drew attention to the difference between Ms Thomas's pre-HRT times and her times today. Her best time in the 500 yards was 5.6 per cent slower than before transition, while her 1,000 yards time was 7.5 per cent slower and her 1,650 yards time was 7.2 per cent slower.

quote:

It is also possible that Ms Thomas' old times do not represent how fast she'd swim if she had never begun HRT. They date from an earlier point in her evolution as a swimmer, and therefore would not reflect any improvements in her technique or mindset since then.

quote:

"This is our only real case study where a competitive male swimmer has transitioned to female and been very competitive as well," warns Mr Sockwell. "It's all very new."

So frankly I'm shrugging because we have one data point in terms of this woman, even if we have other data points of her individual performances. Doesn't seem like the end of the world people are claiming, though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1564917543692804099

I like to think that this is a snub from liz

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hoping the roaming Glaswegians solve the problem before she has to deal with them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She's gone there to die.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

She's too sick to go back to London I'd assume

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The queen has crawled under the garden shed and won't come out. We've called the vet but I think her time is at an end.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If HM Brenda passes away shortly after truss becomes PM this will give the Tories a poll bounce?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Non-zero chance the Queen dies while talking to Truss

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hoping that Truss enters the room and Brenda just grabs her face and lets the youth flow into her, leaving Truss to exit the room looking 100 years old.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Truss will trip and fall on the Queen, evaporating her bones into dust.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absolute scenes as Truss walks in and Her Maj just looks at her and says "no"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if I had to talk to PM truss my brain might just give up, immediately comatose.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Truss is on her way to Balmoral and the queen increasingly turns blue.

E: a doctor confirms that the queen's health has not changed. The blue glow intensifies regardless

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 31, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Regardless of the outcome, the notion that the British Prime Minister actively tried to sabotage them (especially when this war is indirectly responsible for the massive rise in energy prices that are going to literally kill British people this winter) is loving appalling.

According to that source, Johnson made two main points.

Ukrainian Pravda posted:

The first is that Putin is a war criminal, he should be pressured, not negotiated with.

And the second is that even if Ukraine is ready to sign some agreements on guarantees with Putin, they are not.

This was 6 weeks into the war. Which of those two do you disagree with? That Putin isn't a war criminal for launching a unwarranted war of aggression, like Tony Blair?

Or that the western world shouldn't be sanctioning Russia for launching such a war of aggression, regardless of Ukrainian capitation or not? That we should be freely buying Russian Oil and Russian gas now?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This is the UK thread. There are dedicated threads to Ukraine elsewhere for you to make shrill, accusatory posts about other goon's lack of dedication to the glorious cause of perpetual warfare.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

According to that source, Johnson made two main points.

This was 6 weeks into the war. Which of those two do you disagree with? That Putin isn't a war criminal for launching a unwarranted war of aggression, like Tony Blair?

Or that the western world shouldn't be sanctioning Russia for launching such a war of aggression, regardless of Ukrainian capitation or not? That we should be freely buying Russian Oil and Russian gas now?

Anyone who actually cares about the people of Ukraine should be down to everything they can to stop this war, not taking pointless moral stances that perpetuate it.

Anyway, here’s another oval office that I’m absolutely sick of:

https://twitter.com/jeremyvineon5/status/1564901242110885890?s=21&t=2V07InAQLQaV09OlvPO3pw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes we should throw however much money they ask for at energy companies who hosed up, but the shareholders should not get it.

You can't nationalise for free, but subsidies, those are free, right?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

maybe even to zero!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

She's gone there to die.

Truss is going to suck the remaining energy out of her like in the movie Lifeforce.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/slimelia/status/1564927527247876096

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
60 foot busts of Princess Diana, Madeline McCann, Ted Heath, and Geronimo on the White Cliffs of Dover.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cult of the Lamb sequel is coming along fast.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

truss being the historical Pm for when the queen packs it in is just too much

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I know I'm not the only person to rant about this but getting a doctor's appointment at the mo feels like a cruel joke that's intended to send you private and funnel cash to tory-linked health firms.

My GP surgery website has a big splash banner on the front page saying you should use the online system for all bookings and do not show up to the surgery without an appointment under any circumstances. On the online system, it says they haven't made booking appointments available. Back on the website, if you go into the help page for online bookings it reveals that actually due to covid, they're not actually offering online appointment bookings just now and you have to phone them. And obviously if you phone them, it just rings out or goes to an automated queue that times out because so many people are struggling to get appointments and they're understaffed. I mean it's all well and good for the NHS guidance to say "make an urgent GP appointment if X" but there aren't even any non-urgent appointments, are you meant to spend money you might not have on one of the private GP services or just suffer/wait and hope it doesn't become more serious over time?

Absolutely not blaming my local gp or the NHS for this, it's the result of years of underfunding but it's like what the hell are you meant to do if it's not an A&E type emergency (and even then, you might be there waiting a very long time) but more than something you can just go to an in-store pharmacist about? It's so poo poo.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gort posted:

Non-zero chance the Queen dies while talking to Truss
Two Lizzes enter, one Liz leaves

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
There can only be One.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cup of Hemlock posted:

It’s a decent detective character she’s created with some decent writing. But she absolutely does not need that many pages. There are so many tangents and red herrings and boring bits - is her editor afraid?
She probably doesn't have an editor any more, this happens to a lot of authors who get big and self important enough.

The author's first few books succeed because they have a good editor reigning them in, and then by about book 3 they have an agent and an ego and have enough name pull to be able to overrule their editor, by which point their name alone has enough traction to outsell previous books, which cements in their heads "See, I never needed an editor! I'm selling better than ever!" After that point, the editor gets listened to less and less until the books are absolute poo poo but sell on name recognition alone.

Stephen King for example badly, badly needed an editor to tell him to gently caress off for the Dark Tower books. They contain a lot of great stuff,but holy poo poo do they also contain a ton of padding.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

coincidentally I've just been messing with the midjourney ai art thing:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

escapegoat posted:

There can only be One.

The one true Liz.
The Liz that grants the power of invisibility.

Editor chat:

Even Pratchett's later works could have done with a good editor. They became way too rambling. I think I stopped reading them after Hogfather. Maybe another one after that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 31, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He did have brain damage then though :(

And not the kind that Rowling has

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Even Pratchett's later works could have done with a good editor. They became way too rambling. I think I stopped reading them after Hogfather. Maybe another one after that.

That was early dementia surely? Though Hogfather was long before the bad last ones so maybe it's both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/RobinUpTree/status/1564912932772876288