Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cattail Prophet posted:

Fire Emblem LP season will never die!
I think this would be, like, the fifth FE6 LP on the forum? Meanwhile we still don't have a completed FE15 LP or an archived FE3 LP, and the romhack thread has been buried for months.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I know of someone off-site who's been doing a Shadows of Valentia video LP, I haven't been watching it because it's hypothetically a game is like to play for myself, but I've seen several of their other LPs and they're up to SA standards (in fact I think the LPer might be a former LP goon driven off by Lowtax being Lowtax at some point).

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Commander Keene posted:

I know of someone off-site who's been doing a Shadows of Valentia video LP, I haven't been watching it because it's hypothetically a game is like to play for myself, but I've seen several of their other LPs and they're up to SA standards (in fact I think the LPer might be a former LP goon driven off by Lowtax being Lowtax at some point).

I know the off-site LP you're talking about, but it's been put on indefinite hiatus and hasn't updated in over a year and a half. So that angle is a total wash.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 30, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The one I'm talking about is by FefnirMasamune and was last updated 3 days ago. I don't know which LP you're thinking of.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Commander Keene posted:

The one I'm talking about is by FefnirMasamune and was last updated 3 days ago. I don't know which LP you're thinking of.

Huh? I thought you were talking about Flying Twybil on LPBeach. Didn't know LPZone had an ongoing. Thanks.

At least my point about FE3 still stands...

EDIT: Oh hey, DemonTrigger did upload the ending. It's in this thread.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 30, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Been thinkin'... when i was dual-modding over in PYF, we were arbitrarily stickying threads to help get them more views. also it just kinda made the stop of PYF look a bit more dynamic. was thinkin' it'd be nice to that here in LP. so i'm going to start doing it!

please feel free to PM us if anyone has any good ideas for subsequent threads to sticky, new or old.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sticky all my threads so I can remember to update them

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Please, we need to sticky threads only for pure and ethical reasons.

Like my threads.

So I'll get more attention.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Leal posted:

Sticky all my threads so I can remember to update them

:emptyquote: but for me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please sticky my threads so my loyal and devoted fans will harass me into updating more frequently

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm sensing a growing theme here. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cooked Auto posted:

When all threads are stickied, none of them are.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

You either retire with regular updates, or LP long enough to become a procrastinator.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

You either retire with regular updates, or LP long enough to become a procrastinator.

That's just the middle phase on the way to LPing long enough to put off starting new LPs, at which point you question whether you can even call yourself an LPer anymore.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please. I once started and finished an entire LP just to procrastinate from working on another LP.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
All you really need is someone who can give you a reminder every couple of weeks. I used to do that way back when I first joined SA, but fell off doing that after a couple of years.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If only Glazius was still here to post in every thread ever :smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

If only Glazius was still here to post in every thread ever :smith:

be the change you want to see, Leal

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
if any mod thread get stickied ill be posting in QCS about it immediately

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I appriciate the sticky because my trhead, due to its nature, is slower to update and falls easy to page 600 of this forum

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unstick every thread. In every part of the forums.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Games IKs made an entire front page of stickies for a brief time, clearly the same should be done here.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

sticky every thread made by an banned OP or just the SHITPOST icon.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Sticky every still-running/unarchived Fire Emblem LP so they can all be threatened with closure unless they update by the end of the day

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 31, 2022

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

:emptyquote: but for me

I suddenly remembered something about FFTCCP...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Turn every thread into an announcement.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Please don't sticky my threads. I worked so hard to keep them clean and unsticky.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Sticky my threads but only the inactive ones long closed for an archival that never happens.

SallieKat7
Apr 26, 2017
I've been lurking on the LP Archive for a long time, and the actual forums more recently. If I have a complete (or mostly complete) Let's Play series posted on my youtube channel, is it poor form to start a LP thread to share links here?

Do y'all prefer new Let's Plays started with the intent to share with Something Awful folks, as opposed to "here's a thing I started for myself a few months/couple years ago"?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

SallieKat7 posted:

I've been lurking on the LP Archive for a long time, and the actual forums more recently. If I have a complete (or mostly complete) Let's Play series posted on my youtube channel, is it poor form to start a LP thread to share links here?

Do y'all prefer new Let's Plays started with the intent to share with Something Awful folks, as opposed to "here's a thing I started for myself a few months/couple years ago"?

Fedule posted:

Rules for posting LPs:
[*]No YouTube dumps or reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already started elsewhere if it's a significant way through already. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around.

Here’s the relevant bit to your question from the LP rules thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SallieKat7 posted:

TeeQueue posted:

Here’s the relevant bit to your question from the LP rules thread.

That said, this rule is primarily to discourage dumping LPs all at once on the forum and just bouncing. A new LP would be preferable yes, but I don't necessarily think people would be that upset if you took and older LP done elsewhere essentially ported it here, provided 1) you were up front with what you were doing with it, and 2) you treated it with the care and effort expected of a typical Something Awful Let's Play.

I think just going "Okay, so here's an LP that I've finished elsewhere first, but I genuinely want to share with folks here and get peoples' responses to, so I'm gonna post one episode a week with a little write up or some other piece of :effortless: to help move things alone. All videos are already up on my YouTube page if you're feeling impatient, otherwise yadda yadda."

Often times though these things don't work out because people don't give enough of a poo poo to stick it through, or they don't get the response they were hoping for and just bounce, so it's purely up to you. Being forthright with your intent helps though, and you could always circle back around to the old LP once you've got one made specifically for SA under your belt as well.

There are options.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The way this works is basically if it's good that's fine. If it's bad you get ignored (because LP is nice) and if it really sucks you get made fun of by two posters hoping for a second Gamingo before the thread is closed.

One of my more successful LPs had a one month headstart in another place because I don't believe in 3 month rules.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
but 3 month rules believe in you, IGgy. they believe in you :hai:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I put this out there for feedback in the discord and never got a response so here's a more formal test post to try again. I am specifically checking in to see if this general format works, because it is really hard to shake the feeling that recording like 6 lines of commentary for a video feels like I'm doing something wrong. :v:

------

Good afternoon! Or is it evening? Morning? Let's go with morning.

Welcome to Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, the first of a series of RPG from Square and Yoko Taro's gang of goofballs. Released in October 2021, it is a short but sweet little RPG with a heavy dose of tabletop inspiration - both in the aesthetic and the structural sense. Over the course of the game's 10-12 hour runtime, we'll be taken on a tour of the island right out of someone's D&D campaign, complete with a narrator who spends most of the time telling us what is and is about to happen in-game. Suffice to say that these games owe more than a small debt to Supergiant Games, and in particular Bastion.

As far as this game goes, underneath all the tabletop trappings it's just a bog-standard JRPG, and not a particularly interesting one at that. The most notable thing it does is using a "gem" system for magic, where the party all uses the same pool for abilities and you generate a single gem per turn. It's very "Super Mario RPG-esque", where using one party member's big gently caress-off attack may mean that the next one up can't do anything aside from a basic attack (if even that)...or at least, that would the case if it wasn't wildly unbalanced and easy. In truth, there is little reason to use the biggest and most expensive attacks because outside of the game's handful of superbosses and endgame foes, nothing requires more thought than using the standard 1-2 gem attacks that do things like "Damage x1.5" or "Attack + 1d6 Wind damage". This is something that will eventually be addressed in Forsaken Maiden and Beasts of Burden, although I personally feel that they went a little too hard in the other direction for those games.

But honestly? I like that it's pretty easy. It makes the game feel very breezy and carefree, a vibe echoed in the game's plot which is remarkably uh...not the typical Yoko Taro fare. Oh sure, the stuff you're all imagining is in there, but it's mostly confined to things like the character cards (which take the place of previous works' weapon stories) and very little of it comes through the plot itself. ...At least for the most part. Don't worry, we'll get there. :unsmigghh: It's a lot more Nier than Drakengard, if that's worth anything.

Anyway, given the prescence of the narrator, it would be fruitless to try and get a word in during the plot scenes, so we're just not going to worry about that. I'll do commentary where appropriate (dungeons, exploration, general downtime), but for the most part I'm going to let the game speak for itself, given that it is one of the few out there that unironically can.

And with all that out of the way, let's begin. Welcome to Voice of Cards.

Table of Contents
Part 1: Our Heroes(?)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
imho a game like this really does benefit from sitting back and letting the game talk. Your format looks fine to me.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
yeah i don't see what else there is for you to say, and that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I was considering the best way to LP those games (because I like them) and... yeah, that's basically exactly what I came up with.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
I've had this gremlin of a thought stuck in my head for the past few weeks and now I've managed to put together a sandcastle post to see if it's something I should do. So before this consumes anymore of my time I'm looking for green lights/thumbs ups/nods to go ahead with really doing this LP. But anyway, here's the test posts:

Into the Nephalem Rifts: Let's Play Modded Diablo II!
OP- https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=161565
Part 1-https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=161566

DarkMatt fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 24, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't it Nephalem in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, that looks promising! I played way too much Diablo back in the day (I may have written some guides, even), but I never messed around with mods much, so I'll definitely be following this with interest. The SSLP approach is interesting too, I wouldn't have thought to do it that way but it's working so far.

(Also, thank goodness, if you LP Diablo II I don't have to. I've felt vaguely tempted to do that at various points...)