Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is me whenever I do my recurring "I wonder if anyone's made The Movies available again" Google search.

I have an old :filez: copy with the expansion that I've adamantly kept track of for years and go back to regularly, it's janky as hell sometimes but it's a legit favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

TheKennedys posted:

I have an old :filez: copy with the expansion that I've adamantly kept track of for years and go back to regularly, it's janky as hell sometimes but it's a legit favorite

I'll be over with a CD spindle in no time

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the railjack stuff in warframe is spiritually a space pirate sim even though you don't really engage in actual piracy

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Someone should make PC Pirating Simulator. You can work your way up from floppies to demo group releases on BBSs to Nabster and then ButTorrent

e:

This poo poo remains unironically the greatest

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
The soundtrack would be fire

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The amount of hyperaggressive wildlife mercenaries can have in AC Odyssey is amazing. One of them had a lynx that kept jumping on my back as I was trying like hell not to get shanked by the merc.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Keptbroom posted:

The soundtrack would be fire

I'm gettin' worked up just thinking about

e: Look at how good this poo poo is

https://youtu.be/OupgnTCTo8A

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Aug 31, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Seriously, the ANSI art scene remains one of my favorite things in games.

Teams like ACiD, iCE, Dark - these guys had their fingerprints all over warez back in the BBS days. You'd convince one of the sysops to give you access to the the files boards, or have a friend's older brother who could. You'd download a game in 12 or 30 pieces, each 1.44MB large, and whichever team had cracked it and released it would include some ANSI art. You could download art packs loaded with really talented art, and top-notch chiptunes to crank out of your Sound Blaster.

They were always competing with each other to be first or best, and their release notes would contain digs at other teams or Microsoft or the Man. It was a window into this inscrutable world, where you imagined these faceless figures in fingerless gloves flipping each other off on their mainframes. I remember being really disappointed when I got the internet and found that a lot of the teams had already dispersed, or moved onto other kinds of digital art.

ACiD Draw was the gold standard for ANSI editors. I pored hours into that thing as I kid, making mock-ups of BBSs, recoloring existing pieces and learning some basic designs. iCE came out with one too, but I can't remember which one was better. And people are still doing it! Somewhere along the line, somebody must have remembered how awesome ANSI art is, and revived it along with BBSs. There is a ton of brilliant work out from the past few years alone, and it's easier than ever to find classic works from the 90s. Somewhere out there is an unreal recreation of an H.R. Giger painting of a face melting into its own reflection that I'll find some day.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Speaking of Bioshock, I still really liked Infinite even though I think there are a decent chunk of people down on the game now. The ending was really bizarre, but that's kind of part of the fun.

I really like games in general where you've got a partner with you to experience things that doesn't need to be constantly protected. Even when the banter is silly or not written terribly well, it adds to the fun for me

I still say the problem was that the ending would have been great in like, Bioshock 5 or so. The whole Infinite realities playing out together, "there's always a boat and always a lighthouse" thing is a cool concept, but when it's the third game and the second one doesn't even follow that format, it doesn't hit the same.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I actually really liked the ending of Infinite, especially how many people did not get the loving point of the story: that Booker DeWitt is awful in every possible timeline, and the world is better off if he dies.

My problem with Bioshock Infinite can be summed up as: they spent the two years after this "gameplay" trailer making the game worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUt5dEMt_Y

It's not that a few things from a "gameplay" trailer didn't make it into the game, it's that the game in that "gameplay" trailer is fundamentally better in every way than what we got.

When I first saw that trailer I was amazed and really excited for Infinite. Of course there are the usual excuses of console limitations and blah blah blah :jerkbag:, but I don’t care. They promised - and built at least part of - an amazing game and delivered an unremarkable corridor shooter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I actually really liked the ending of Infinite, especially how many people did not get the loving point of the story: that Booker DeWitt is awful in every possible timeline, and the world is better off if he dies.

My problem with Bioshock Infinite can be summed up as: they spent the two years after this "gameplay" trailer making the game worse:

It's not that a few things from a "gameplay" trailer didn't make it into the game, it's that the game in that "gameplay" trailer is fundamentally better in every way than what we got.

When I first saw that trailer I was amazed and really excited for Infinite. Of course there are the usual excuses of console limitations and blah blah blah :jerkbag:, but I don’t care. They promised - and built at least part of - an amazing game and delivered an unremarkable corridor shooter.

Holy poo poo that game actually looks fun! Not fun enough to justify a 2 weapon system, but active and cool and you actually talk to Elizabeth during combat and have conversations, wow! I only knew about the trailer, I had no idea there was this much scrapped work in it!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agents are GO! posted:

yeah it's about how america is built root and branch on racism and the way to remove it is to infinite universe time-murder yourself so you were never born

which is, ok not 100% practical, but i'm not hearing any other solutions

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Opopanax posted:

I still say the problem was that the ending would have been great in like, Bioshock 5 or so. The whole Infinite realities playing out together, "there's always a boat and always a lighthouse" thing is a cool concept, but when it's the third game and the second one doesn't even follow that format, it doesn't hit the same.

I always assumed the whole multidimension concept was just a way to cram like a half-dozen half-finished disparate builds and scripts of the game into something vaguely releaseable tbh.

Agreed it would'vee been interesting as a game-5+ thing with better execution though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Someone should make PC Pirating Simulator. You can work your way up from floppies to demo group releases on BBSs to Nabster and then ButTorrent

Isn't this Last Call BBS?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Combining the two seemingly disparate worlds of bioshock and ascii art, a former bioshock 1/2 level designer made a program to create and animate ascii art called playscii.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo that game actually looks fun! Not fun enough to justify a 2 weapon system, but active and cool and you actually talk to Elizabeth during combat and have conversations, wow! I only knew about the trailer, I had no idea there was this much scrapped work in it!

From what I understand, they built and scrapped several games worth of content in the process of making Bioshock Infinite because Ken Levine couldn't make up his loving mind. Remember, Bioshock 2 was made by a completely different team. As soon as the original game was done the original team started on Infinite.

Also, the great little gem of a game The Magic Circle was made by people who worked on Bioshock Infinite, and the story is heavily influenced by those experiences, being the story of having to get an incomplete game stuck in development hell ready to launch - from inside the game.

Hell, a favorite little thing from The Magic Circle: you'll be dealing with content from different iterations of the game, that mix genres of fantasy and science fiction. The science fiction bits are supposed to be from a late 90s fps, and have a shader on them that makes them look pixelated, like they're rendered at a much lower resolution than the fantasy elements they're coexisting with.

I highly recommend The Magic Circle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bioshock Infinite belongs squarely in the other thread for so many reasons including those above, but I found a whole lot to like about its shooting. To see Bioshock made into a corridor shooter was genuinely sad, but what a fun-rear end corridor shooter it is when it lets you loose in those open-ended arenas with skyhooks and multi-level platforms. Walking into an area peacefully and seeing sky rails clogged with train cars, knowing I'd be back through it later and those cars would absolutely not be there made me grin every time.

edit: The musical stingers as cues that you got a headshot or a critical plasmid combo were a brilliant idea too, the shrill violin stings accompanying always made me go 'yeesh' way more than any head 'splosion on the screen did.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Aug 31, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's definitely a game with problems for sure, but I still liked it a whole lot, enough to finish it and play it again which, honestly I barely ever sit down and finish a game these days. So many backlog games...

I thought the shooting was fun with the skyhook, and while the trailer would've been a better game for sure I enjoyed my time with it :shrug:

Are there any other action/shooter games out there with a partner that travels around with you through the plot and actively contributes/doesn't need you to protect them? I really liked how Booker and Elizabeth slowly became more and more of a team between the ammo stuff at first to the rifts and stuff later, before the big twist which as mentioned was crazy. Obviously there's a ton of RPGs with parties and stuff but it feels way less common for other genres

I always liked those sequences in Yakuza Kiwami 2 as well, but that wasn't quite the same

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Alyx Vance was probably the prototype.

And, in theory, Daikatana.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Alyx Vance was probably the prototype.

Oh duh, yeah of course HL2 would count

And no one can forget their best friend Superfly Johnson of course.

Feels like it's not particularly common though

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm always wont to point out how Daikatana's quirks were legitimately ahead of their time, the execution just sucked rear end.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Seriously, RPG elements are everywhere these days.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Perhaps John Romero did make us all his bitch in the end.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

One thing I'll give Bioshock Infinite is that it managed to nail the same sense of isolation that Bioshock had, except that instead of crushing depths separating you from the other buildings in Rapture, it's vast swaths of nothing.

Shame the actual gameplay was bad and had a sever case of "But what if both sides are bad?" when one side is "The racists wanting to oppress everyone not white enough" and the other is "Literally everyone being oppressed by them" in the storyline.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Agents are GO! posted:

From what I understand, they built and scrapped several games worth of content in the process of making Bioshock Infinite because Ken Levine couldn't make up his loving mind. Remember, Bioshock 2 was made by a completely different team. As soon as the original game was done the original team started on Infinite.

Also, the great little gem of a game The Magic Circle was made by people who worked on Bioshock Infinite, and the story is heavily influenced by those experiences, being the story of having to get an incomplete game stuck in development hell ready to launch - from inside the game.

Hell, a favorite little thing from The Magic Circle: you'll be dealing with content from different iterations of the game, that mix genres of fantasy and science fiction. The science fiction bits are supposed to be from a late 90s fps, and have a shader on them that makes them look pixelated, like they're rendered at a much lower resolution than the fantasy elements they're coexisting with.

I highly recommend The Magic Circle.

I would second the recommendation for The Magic Circle. Very narrative driven gameplay. There's no direct combat, but instead you get to hack and re-program various enemies to fight for you. And of course, James Urbaniak playing Dr. Venture - washed up game designer wunderkind, is fantastic.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Randalor posted:

One thing I'll give Bioshock Infinite is that it managed to nail the same sense of isolation that Bioshock had, except that instead of crushing depths separating you from the other buildings in Rapture, it's vast swaths of nothing.

Well, except for the levels where you're surrounded by throngs of people.

Frankly Infinite suffered a lot for having a Columbia that was still perfectly functional and alive, because half the fun of Rapture was piecing together how things got so utterly hosed up and it made more sense to need to scavenge for stuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Well, except for the levels where you're surrounded by throngs of people.

After the start of the game, you always have that feeling of "I don't belong here" and the feeling that at some point, the crowds will realize who you are and turn on you, and you're stuck on an island with them. Granted, they're also horrible racists and this is a shooty bang bang game, so it's less "dread" and more "anticipation".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shin Megami Tensei IV starts you as a samurai recruit in the kingdom of Mikado. But, spoiler alert: it doesn't take long before you are in a demon infested Tokyo, the main stomping ground of the series. While exploring you can regularly find green icons which you can interact with to find some "relics". If you visit a merchant these will be automatically sold to earn some cash.

If you look at your inventory there is a tab that lists the relics you are currently holding. The names tell the player exactly what is being carried, but the descriptions are from the perspective of your samurai. Frequently they just make a guess at what they are lugging around. A memory card could be a dragon scale, a CD is a handheld mirror, a necktie is a belt that is too short, coins are eloberate brooches and a BBQ stove is an unreliable bookrest.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Combining the two seemingly disparate worlds of bioshock and ascii art, a former bioshock 1/2 level designer made a program to create and animate ascii art called playscii.

Yeh Bioshock Infinite was fun, not great, but holy balls has everybody but me known about Playscii this whole time?

Keep an eye on video games for me for awhile, think I might need to go drop a couple tabs and get into this

It is Wednesday, my dudes :frog:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at the FAQ on playscii

quote:

Can I use Playscii to create Non-Fungible Token (NFT) art?
As Playscii's sole author, I have multiple objections to the creation and sale of Non-Fungible Token (NFT) art and do not approve of said use of my program. Legally I cannot stop you but I offer absolutely no support to such users, and I am not interested in engaging with them on this subject. There is at least one fork of Playscii out there under a different name.

I have multiple ethical objections to NFTs, and cryptocurrency more broadly - their environmental impact, their redefinition of art as a speculative asset beyond even the grotesque mercantilism of the highest end of the existing fine art world, their Ponzi-like structure that lures financially vulnerable creators to lock their money up in crypto ecosystems, and the general culture of fraud and theft surrounding everything about the field. If you are a proponent of said field, know that I am annoyed at you,

yes you specifically,

for making me spend the energy to write this section. I do not want to hear from you, I do not want a cent of your money, and I do not want to hear my name or Playscii's name out of your mouth. I look forward to the day that the entire grift collapses into ignominy, when I will remove this section.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
What a boss

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Randalor posted:

After the start of the game, you always have that feeling of "I don't belong here" and the feeling that at some point, the crowds will realize who you are and turn on you, and you're stuck on an island with them. Granted, they're also horrible racists and this is a shooty bang bang game, so it's less "dread" and more "anticipation".

It's there, but I feel like it drops off hard after the early game. Like I don't remember having that sensation in the beach area, in part because at that point the focus has started to shift towards Elizabeth.

Edit: Speaks to the stitched together nature of the game, since the first few hours are pretty legit and feel the most like the pre-release stuff.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Aug 31, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bioshock: Infinite remains the only game I've bought the DLC for but never even touched it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The first DLC was good fun with a decent shock ending. The second DLC was a bunch of psychotic retcons and I can't even remember what it was like to play

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

2house2fly posted:

The first DLC was good fun with a decent shock ending. The second DLC was a bunch of psychotic retcons and I can't even remember what it was like to play

I want to check these out just for the retro noir aesthetic so bad, but $5 or so is the limit of what I'm willing to pay to subject myself to the pair of them. Of course I'm going to have get Pt 2 if I get part one, even just so I know

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The DLCs are Ken Levine outright burning the franchise to the ground and salting the earth so nobody but him can ever do anything with his baby.

Everything about them is spiteful and miserable and dumb. Bonus points for attempting to retcon one of the most contentious plot points of the original game and managing to make it even worse.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Looks like maybe I made the right decision.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

a sever case of "But what if both sides are bad?" when one side is "The racists wanting to oppress everyone not white enough" and the other is "Literally everyone being oppressed by them" in the storyline.

It's been a while, but I think that is a bit goon telephoney?

revolutionary lady is not exactly sympathetic, but that's what happens in revolutions. Your society has become so poo poo that extremely violent people are a viable alternative to the stuff quo. And there wouldn't need to be a revolution if not for the racism, (which you get killed for).

I mean it could be I'm remembering it wrong and the protag states the 14 words while staring at the screen and nodding, but I got the strong impression that the game is about the historical roots of American racism and exceptionalism in a very text way, and it's a bit eye rolly to say Levine thinks racism is just like not-racism because if so why bother making a game about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The protagonist says "the only difference between Comstock (the white supremacist) and Fitzroy (the black revolutionary leader) is how you spell the name" but then the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat