Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That means the bills aren't getting paid at all right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

The Lone Badger posted:

That means the bills aren't getting paid at all right?

it makes me wonder if one of the applicable strategies of trump could be to continually force his legal representation to quit and have to be replaced in messy and convoluted integrations that repeatedly run the clock on the legal process

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Surprising, hard to see them finally cutting ties with Trump after all they've followed him with.
Especially with the election coming up. A spat between him and the party could spiral into him demanding his followers not vote.
https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1564644570675159042

this mixed with the escalation in bidens rhetoric including a prime time address on thursday and trumps insane ravings escalating makes me think something is gonna happen soon. am i wrong, probably, but something has biden going full force against chuds and trump more batshit then normal

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kavros posted:

it makes me wonder if one of the applicable strategies of trump could be to continually force his legal representation to quit and have to be replaced in messy and convoluted integrations that repeatedly run the clock on the legal process

Doin' the old Alex Jones Sandy Hook Special, I guess.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this mixed with the escalation in bidens rhetoric including a prime time address on thursday and trumps insane ravings escalating makes me think something is gonna happen soon. am i wrong, probably, but something has biden going full force against chuds and trump more batshit then normal

It's more than a bit disquieting that after years and years of awful things not mattering (except for ever-rising bodycounts) things might be actually... happening? Maybe?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kavros posted:

The farther along proceedings are, the vastly less likely judges are willing to allow them to withdraw, especially once you're in or approaching trial. IIRC we've seen it happen recently with multiple Trump or Trump associate cases, judges going "no you absolutely can not withdraw from representing him, and I can disbar or jail you if you fight me on this. He's not paying you? Tough poo poo, you knew who he was when you took him on as a client, should have thought of that then."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If something is gonna happen with Trump that announcement is not going to come from Biden. It'd be the DOJ.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Either something is going to be going down soon or he has reached the point mentally where his mental disorders have basically completely taken over. This story may end with him hiding in a bunker either way.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1564819249893359617

The stupidest.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Here, have some light reading : https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.48.0_1.pdf

(It's the investigation's response to Trump's crazy-rear end bowel motion.)

I'm only 8 pages in cause I'm bothering to read close, but so far it's got a very thorough-seeming summary of the investigation with some new details. Like, Trump tried to hold up NARA from passing on the boxes to the FBI to look over, which is part of why there was that weird time-gap around April.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I just finished it-I'm a little surprised they argued that last section D in the alternate. I do, however, love that the guy had classified records in among his boxes full of framed magazine covers.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Jesus loving christ

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Why not lie about that when theywere willing to lie about not having any more classified docs?

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564822610600501250

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 31, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I just finished it-I'm a little surprised they argued that last section D in the alternate. I do, however, love that the guy had classified records in among his boxes full of framed magazine covers.

I like how catty it gets, like where they point out that the attorneys handing over of the documents from Trump sure acted like they were classified when they did it.

I just have this mental image of some very put-upon looking DoJ lawyer typing that and whispering, "Yeah... gently caress that guy."

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Oh lordy there are photos.

Renato Mariotti (former prosecutor) is breaking down the DOJ filing that resulted in that photo. Pulling this out because it's got an interesting little detail about where some of the docs were.

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1564827463401836546?t=lTKTtox1JjYoYH1ttluHdw&s=19

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
How much staging was done by the photographer here? Like did Trump literally have unjacketed TS//SCI documents strewn across the floor with the fuckin' coversheets like that? Because if so lol. l o fuckin' l.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I like how catty it gets, like where they point out that the attorneys handing over of the documents from Trump sure acted like they were classified when they did it.

I just have this mental image of some very put-upon looking DoJ lawyer typing that and whispering, "Yeah... gently caress that guy."

For reference (and for others who haven't read the report), the attorneys handed over the documents in a "Redweld envelope", which is a sort of accordion file like this...

which they "double sealed with tape". I have no idea why that would be considered an appropriate transfer vehicle, I don't know what would be an appropriate transfer vehicle; it's like what someone would throw together in a panic 30 minutes earlier.

edit: to be clear because I've seen some confusion on this point- I don't believe the FBI found the documents spread across the floor. I think this was one of them pausing as they worked their way through removing these from a box to take a photo.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 31, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AsInHowe posted:

The stupidest.
Right?!?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Bob is toast. She's gonna flip or go down hard
https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564826535990857729

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564828688176349185

They found classified docs in his desk.
https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564831321695916032

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 31, 2022

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

How much staging was done by the photographer here? Like did Trump literally have unjacketed TS//SCI documents strewn across the floor with the fuckin' coversheets like that? Because if so lol. l o fuckin' l.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's staged. From the Washington Post article that includes the above photo: "The filing includes a photograph showing a number of files labeled 'Top Secret' spread out over a carpet, and says those documents were recovered from a container in Trump’s office."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Discendo Vox posted:

For reference (and for others who haven't read the report), the attorneys handed over the documents in a "Redweld envelope", which is a sort of accordion file like this...

which they "double sealed with tape". I have no idea why that would be considered an appropriate transfer vehicle, I don't know what would be an appropriate transfer vehicle; it's like what someone would throw together in a panic 30 minutes earlier.

edit: to be clear because I've seen some confusion on this point- I don't believe the FBI found the documents spread across the floor. I think this was one of them pausing as they worked their way through removing these from a box to take a photo.

That container is possibly fine for transferring documents if the appropriate safeguards are being made. Think about diplomatic pouches with state secrets--probably made of leather or canvas with a lock. They can generally be defeated with a knife or, at worst, a power tool--it's just a fancy briefcase/bag/envelope. The goals of the container, when not in storage but in transfer is to do a few things:

-should protect from unauthorized disclosure. The container needs to close. A courier should not round a corner, bump into a person and throw state secrets into a pile like some sort of espionage cutemeet. "doublesealed with tape" is this.
-should not advertise it's secrecy--you don't put the classification on the outside
-should allow someone who discovers it, if lost, to do the right thing--classification is on the outside of an internal compartment (coversheets or sealed internal containers depending on handling requirements). Diplomatic pouches are usually two sets of pouches, one that goes in the other. The inside one displays the classification so when you open the weird bag you found next to the car accident victim, you say "oh poo poo" and take them to a security office or to a police station or whatever.
-depending on classification, reveal unauthorized tampering. It could-be locked in such a way that someone would have to damage the container to get at the material unless they have the key, or an intruder may need to break tamper-evident tape.

Obviously check with your security manager before you move around classified documents--above are my own unofficial conclusions of the theory behind the policies that govern classified material. SCI has additional requirements, but the theory mostly remains intact. Security professionals know that no portable means of transfer is going to stop a focused bad actor. Even the higher requirements for storage are based around how long it would take a bad actor to defeat them. There's no assumption that a class B vault or GSA-approved container is completely impervious to intrusion. Rather, they should delay an intruder long enough that security personnel will notice something and mount a response.

edit: while there are often fancy containers for classified material, especially if it's going to be reused or quickly accessed, plenty of classified material moves about through vaguely standard office supply with special procedures in place. This doesn't mean that the wrong measures couldn't have been taken, just that being in a taped-up accordion envelope isn't necessarily bad in and of itself.

piL fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 31, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This is why you should always pay your lawyers

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564839624391925765

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564846692150697984

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I know, former Chief Executive & all that...

But just reading this, he is fuuuuuuucked.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Keeps digging that hole

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1564978272538165249

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The cover sheets aren't classified, that's why they are cover sheets. So if people see them they know not to look inside without authorization.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
So, let's say you made a printout of Title 18 on standard double sided paper at a reasonable print typeface and put it in a tasteful hardback binding. Approximately how thick is the projectile now speeding at Trump's noggin?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The actual big news in the filing is DoJ saying that there is a Grand Jury seated and that they did issue a subpoena which Trump mostly ignored prior to the search warrant. That was one of the right wing talking points trying to pretend the search was illegal.

edit: DoJ to Trump, "gently caress around some more and find out"

quote:

Although the receipt of property already provided to Plaintiff at the time of the search, see In Re Sealed Search
Warrant, No. 22-MJ-8332 (S.D. Fla.) (hereinafter, “MJ Docket”), D.E. 17 at 5-7, is sufficient
under Fed. R. Crim. P. 41, the government is prepared, given the extraordinary
circumstances, to unseal the more detailed receipt and provide it immediately to Plaintiff.

edit2: Also trump claimed that at the June 03 meeting where Trump turned over even more classified documents that the FBI could have just taken the rest of the document then, however

quote:

Critically, however, the former President’s counsel explicitly prohibited government
personnel from opening or looking inside any of the boxes that remained in the storage room
giving no opportunity for the government to confirm that no documents with classification
markings remained.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 31, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Surprising, hard to see them finally cutting ties with Trump after all they've followed him with.
Especially with the election coming up. A spat between him and the party could spiral into him demanding his followers not vote.
https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1564644570675159042

Keep in mind that all the big Republican donors made a beeline from Trump to DeSantis months ago and DeSantis is now on track to raise more money than any gubernatorial candidate in history.

The RNC and GOP establishment want to go back to the old days, but Trump would probably swat DeSantis like a fly, especially now. Before, DeSantis was gaining on Trump in the polls and was usually within 10 points of him even neck and neck in some polls. The FBI raid and possible DOJ indictment changed all that. Support for Trump as the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee went up 10 points with Republicans basically over night, his base is digging in. The RNC and GOP establishment are praying for the DOJ to indict Trump, it's the only way to potentially clear the path for DeSantis.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

The RNC and GOP establishment want to go back to the old days, but Trump would probably swat DeSantis like a fly, especially now. Before, DeSantis was gaining on Trump in the polls and was usually within 10 points of him even neck and neck in some polls. The FBI raid and possible DOJ indictment changed all that. Support for Trump as the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee went up 10 points with Republicans basically over night, his base is digging in. The RNC and GOP establishment are praying for the DOJ to indict Trump, it's the only way to potentially clear the path for DeSantis.

Would it clear the path or would it cause the Republican vote to schism as the Trumpers try to write in for Donald Trump (some belief along the lines of "You can't be in jail while president" would be my guess) while the Republican voters vote for DeSantis? Can you even write in for a President who's in jail?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Randalor posted:

Can you even write in for a President who's in jail?

You can (like Debs).

You can also probably pardon yourself from prison, at least for federal charges, but who the hell knows

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Randalor posted:

Would it clear the path or would it cause the Republican vote to schism as the Trumpers try to write in for Donald Trump (some belief along the lines of "You can't be in jail while president" would be my guess) while the Republican voters vote for DeSantis? Can you even write in for a President who's in jail?

You can write in for whoever, if your state ballot allows it. Also none of being under criminal investigation, indictment, trial, conviction, or even currently serving a sentence are any barrier to entering or winning a federal election. Only a conviction for impeachment or treason can prevent that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can (like Debs).

You can also probably pardon yourself from prison, at least for federal charges, but who the hell knows

That's what I figured would be the end goal if Trump was jailed and elected, just pardon himself and walk out to the hugest crowd ever seen.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

You can write in for whoever, if your state ballot allows it. Also none of being under criminal investigation, indictment, trial, conviction, or even currently serving a sentence are any barrier to entering or winning a federal election. Only a conviction for impeachment or treason can prevent that.

Doesn't at least one of the Federal laws that Trump is being accused of breaking include a penalty of "may be prevented from holding public office" (or something to that effect)? I remember there being someone online discussion videos around that being a potential consequence a few weeks ago. If that's the case, and if this goes to trial and if he gets found guilty (both of those being big "ifs" right now, I'll grant), couldn't the judge slap him with a writ or whatever that says "The plaintiff may never again hold any public office in the United States" as part of the sentencing or whatever?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Class3KillStorm posted:

Doesn't at least one of the Federal laws that Trump is being accused of breaking include a penalty of "may be prevented from holding public office" (or something to that effect)? I remember there being someone online discussion videos around that being a potential consequence a few weeks ago. If that's the case, and if this goes to trial and if he gets found guilty (both of those being big "ifs" right now, I'll grant), couldn't the judge slap him with a writ or whatever that says "The plaintiff may never again hold any public office in the United States" as part of the sentencing or whatever?

He can literally just appeal that to SCOTUS and get it flipped.

Granted, the timing might not work out

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Murgos posted:

The actual big news in the filing is DoJ saying that there is a Grand Jury seated and that they did issue a subpoena which Trump mostly ignored prior to the search warrant. That was one of the right wing talking points trying to pretend the search was illegal.

edit: DoJ to Trump, "gently caress around some more and find out"

edit2: Also trump claimed that at the June 03 meeting where Trump turned over even more classified documents that the FBI could have just taken the rest of the document then, however

Regarding the last quote: How do the feds not also go after the lawyers as co-conspirator at that point? Assuming the attorneys knew the contents of the containers they would actively be aiding and abetting the crime.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 31, 2022

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

He's probably going to announce his run in October. If he loses, he will claim it was rigged and either run 3rd party, or tell his voters to not vote.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Class3KillStorm posted:

I believe that turned out to be legalese for specifically "cannot be appointed to public office" while excluding any specific limitation on "can be elected to public office," which it turns out is an important difference.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Meatball posted:

He's probably going to announce his run in October. If he loses, he will claim it was rigged and either run 3rd party, or tell his voters to not vote.

DOJ won't touch him once he declares an intent to run, right? That's the end of investigations etc.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

slurm posted:

DOJ won't touch him once he declares an intent to run, right? That's the end of investigations etc.

The election is in 2024.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slurm posted:

Why? There's no reason they have to. Trump may think they will stop, but the DoJ has made no claims to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slurm posted:

Yeah they’re definitely not going to touch him negative six years from now