Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lumpy posted:

What is the secret to actually gap-filling with green stuff? I watched videos that lied to me and said "just make a little rope of it, use a wetted silicone clay shaper to mush it in place!". However, the smallest rope I can make is approximately 5x wider than the gaps, and the last thing on earth it wants to stick to is the model. I tried with nitrile glove, without, etc. What a mess! :cry:

make sprue goo by dissolving sprues in your plastic glue bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

make sprue goo by dissolving sprues in your plastic glue bottle.

The funny thing is, I have a bunch of sprue goo because I use it when assembling. But I just thinned it a little more and boy howdy, why didn't I think of that! Now to make little dickbutt sculptures with this green stuff....

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Will sprue goo work to gap fill resin? I have liquid green stuff on hand for fixing resin kits (gently caress finecast) but am curious if I can use sprue goo

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I went HAM on Marvel United, which means I have a ton of plastic. To help motivate me to get through this backlog, I'm only going to play with painted characters. Here's the first batch of speed paints I did over the weekend. Just need to varnish them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Will sprue goo work to gap fill resin? I have liquid green stuff on hand for fixing resin kits (gently caress finecast) but am curious if I can use sprue goo

Im not entirely sure on this but it cant hurt to try a small area. It likely wont bond nicely with the resin but the plastic that is left behind might still fill it nicely?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For resin, this stuff is magic.

Easy to put on (use an old brush), can be cleaned up and brushed away with water, and can be sanded if you want.

https://www.amazon.com.au/AK-Interactive-Modelling-Putty-White/dp/B01N2RFGBP

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There's all kinds of white acrylic putties, and they're basically interchangeable. Pick whichever one has the nicest logo and is readily available in your local hobby shop and you should have something sandable that'll take paint pretty easily. Don't get the grey stuff for gap-filling, though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Aranan posted:

Just a couple sanity checks:

1) You're shaking the crap out of them both before making your own mix?
2) Did you try thinning one of the darker browns with contrast medium? That should lighten the coverage and might help you hit your target color.
3) Have you tried bottling a larger batch of the mix to keep the same consistency?

1) I believe so, maybe not every mix but I've done enough
2) sort of what I'm doing
3) this is where I'm at but I've been resisting doing it

PoptartsNinja posted:

Try applying a second layer of Aggaros Dunes over the first layer? A lot of contrast paints darken up nicely when you do that.

Weird as it sounds, you might also consider Fyreslayer Flesh.

Yes. Aggaros Dunes is the official suggested colour but it doesn't do it for me at all.

I've done a fair few mixes, I have tried fyreslayer, it gets in the ball park in a mix. Washing yellow shade or Iyanden then using thinned gore-grunter is close.

Just gonna have to batch it.

Beto Male
Aug 26, 2022

by Pragmatica

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A lot of folks say that most spray paint is good enough, but I got a big can of white rustoleum primer and didn't think it was nearly as nice as the really expensive sprays. So I was pretty disappointed.

BUT! I think I found a good spray paint that is still not too expensive. Behr Premium Spray paint seems to work really well. "Lunar Surface" is the light grey/off-white that corax white was, so if you are looking for something close to that, it might be worth checking out. They are at home depot. They are 8 dollars a can, so still relatively inexpensive.

I have been enjoying that exact paint. I liked it enough I am curious about the other colors.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does gw’s liquid green stuff have a use case? i tried using it a couple of times to gapfill and it would always shrink as it dried, leaving the gap in place and also a horrible lumpy texture on either side of the gap, drawing extra attention to it. idk if it’s garbage, i was applying it wrong, or using it for the wrong thing

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

jesus WEP posted:

does gw’s liquid green stuff have a use case? i tried using it a couple of times to gapfill and it would always shrink as it dried, leaving the gap in place and also a horrible lumpy texture on either side of the gap, drawing extra attention to it. idk if it’s garbage, i was applying it wrong, or using it for the wrong thing

It really sucks at that. It does have a use case, as some youtubers discovered, which is adding texture to smooth surfaces. It's great at that!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks. i bet my lgs sucks even worse than usual because i had to rehydrate it after not using it for a year, and probably thinned it too much

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I got a fresh pot and experienced the exact same thing. I think it just sucks

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Beto Male posted:

I have been enjoying that exact paint. I liked it enough I am curious about the other colors.

My 40k guys that have a ruined city basing theme utilizes "The Fang" as the base rim color and the first layer of highlights on the base material. Behr's "Inked" matches really well! In the picture below the models base rim is the aforementioned fang, and the scenery piece rim is in the Behr "Inked" color. For note, the trees were done with contrast paint, just to see how well contrast paints worked. Apothecary white, Iyanden Yellow, and Doomfire Magenta.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does anyone have a recommendation for sculpting tools with soft silicone tips? i got the army painter set of metal tools and they’re great for what they are, but something softer for pushing around and shaping milliput etc would be super useful

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

does anyone have a recommendation for sculpting tools with soft silicone tips? i got the army painter set of metal tools and they’re great for what they are, but something softer for pushing around and shaping milliput etc would be super useful

CraftSmart clay shapers. I got them at Michaels or JoAnne's, I forget which. They come 5 in a pack and are dirt cheap.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lumpy posted:

CraftSmart clay shapers. I got them at Michaels or JoAnne's, I forget which. They come 5 in a pack and are dirt cheap.

100%

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

jesus WEP posted:

The original use for LGS was to make the hobbyist do all the work of fixing the pockmarked Finecast models that GW was making GBS threads out as fast as they could, once casting in metal had become too expensive.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just gotta share, having never used brushes beyond the cheap sables in three packs at hobby shops, I'm pleasantly surprised with this size 1 Joann Fabrics brand 'Artsmith' paint brush for $3. I had to trim the tip slightly as it had a few weird hairs too long, but it's way better than what I was using. Three sessions in and not a hint of the tip curl that my previous brush instantly formed. Nice spring, paint stays wet and flows off well, great point, it's funny how a decent brush actually makes painting so much better.

https://www.joann.com/artsmith-synthetic-sable-round-brush/zprd_18253823a.html

I hope I never try a good brush because I'd be spoiled from using these nice $3 ones.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

jesus WEP posted:

Size 0 clayshapers, either in soft or firm. Brand doesn’t really matter so long as the shapes are decent and they’re firm enough to move your putty around.

I’m pissed because my best set of them was a no-name Amazon random pack and my two favorite tool heads have worn down completely after 3ish years of abuse, and I’ve never been able to find anything quite like them again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks! i just ordered a random amazon set - the other recommended brand isn’t for sale in ireland

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've been having issues with my airbrush (I think I have a faulty air valve and ordered a replacement) so I foolishly bought a rattle can of Citadel spray primer, I would have picked up an Army Painter can or some cheapo brand but I was in a hurry and swung by my LGS and lo and behold it doesn't spray.

I shook it for 2 mins straight and I held the can upside down and sprayed to see if I could fix it but, it comes out like there's barely any pressure in the can. I'm 90% sure the spray nozzle isn't clogged but with the paint dribbling out the way it does, I honestly don't know for sure. I also don't have a spare rattle can around that I can use the nozzle from.

It just defies logic.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I've actually run into a problem with my Sotar as well. Sometimes I'll load up a bowl with thinned paint, press the trigger, and air will come out the needle tip as if it's a non-issue, but the acrylic refuses to follow through as if it's clogged. Super weird.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Are these filters plus a compatible respirator the correct PPE for airbrushing? I'll mostly be priming and applying varnish.

https://www.amazon.com/Particulate-...8-2-spons&psc=1

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

protomexican posted:

Are these filters plus a compatible respirator the correct PPE for airbrushing? I'll mostly be priming and applying varnish.

https://www.amazon.com/Particulate-...8-2-spons&psc=1

I might spring for the 3M branded ones as their QC may be better. I believe those should work for what you are doing.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
3m just had a class action against them because their foam ear plugs didnt actually work.

Theyre a corporation just like any other and they only care about the bottom line

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That doesn't mean you should buy PPE off of Amazon from "Brand: kyflzl" like jesus christ

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

That doesn't mean you should buy PPE off of Amazon from "Brand: kyflzl" like jesus christ

Did i say that?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Did i say that?

Did I say that you said that?

*we can do this all day

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Did I say that you said that?

*we can do this all day

You can clearly infer from your post that yes, you did imply that i said that, so no we cant go all day, company defender

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
company defender has logged on

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Knock it off and stop being assholes to each other.

3M is the leading company for PPE, even if they just had a lawsuit against them about earplugs. If you have an alternative recommendation because you believe 3M is bad, please give that recommendation. Otherwise, either answer OP's question directly (is the linked PPE OK or not) or shut the gently caress up thanks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The only way to settle this is with a miniature paint-off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You really shouldn't buy PPE off of Amazon, there's a very good chance it'll be counterfeit

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

*goes to grab the minis for the paint off and spills nuln oil everywhere and slips and falls comically *

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
And somehow the nuln oil splashes just so on the model that it produces the perfect wash

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ravendas posted:

Just gotta share, having never used brushes beyond the cheap sables in three packs at hobby shops, I'm pleasantly surprised with this size 1 Joann Fabrics brand 'Artsmith' paint brush for $3. I had to trim the tip slightly as it had a few weird hairs too long, but it's way better than what I was using. Three sessions in and not a hint of the tip curl that my previous brush instantly formed. Nice spring, paint stays wet and flows off well, great point, it's funny how a decent brush actually makes painting so much better.

https://www.joann.com/artsmith-synthetic-sable-round-brush/zprd_18253823a.html

I hope I never try a good brush because I'd be spoiled from using these nice $3 ones.

I really didn't buy the hype on sable hair brushes initially and the cost of them was so overwhelming relative to what i initially expected I would be getting* that when I bought my first real sablehair brush I felt so guilty about the price that I didn't end up using it for like a year; I actually stopped painting for a while, like I needed to atone for the horrible largesse of my hobby

When I finally got over the mental block of "$30 Paint Brush" though I very quickly determined I could not paint with synthetic brushes ever again. I only keep them around for paint that would otherwise be damaging to the brush

Realistically speaking, if you take really good care of a natural sable brush, they are vastly cheaper than buying taklon and faux-sable synthetics because you replace them once every couple of years rather than once every couple of models

* edit: to clarify this a bit - every youtuber with the position of "you don't need to have a sablehair brush to paint" is definitely doing the community a service by keeping the hobby accessible, but you might get the impression from those kinds of takes that this is a luxury item; The quality of life improvement when using natural hair over synthetics is huge, and cannot be understated. The brush holds more water and more paint, paints straighter lines and gets more paint on the model or canvas. They clean up easier and store better. If you bend the tips from putting them in a cup upside down or something you can just condition them back to life. A sable hair brush won't teach you how to paint but once you know how to use a paint brush it's a single tool that will make everything you do with a paintbrush 10-15% easier

Eej posted:

And somehow the nuln oil splashes just so on the model that it produces the perfect wash

the plastic spirit knows the feel of unguided paint and will bind it into a position you can never replicate to spite you

"Oh, you liked that, huh? Shame you've got 29 more models left in that color scheme. :smug:"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 31, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The last post has convinced me to take my sable hair brushes out of the tube they came in and use them next time I paint. They have been in their tube on my desk for about a year now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been starting to use sables more but I'm kind of hohum on them so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I like my sable brushes when they're good. One of my 8404s splayed badly during routine usage for reasons I don't remember, and it's not good for anything but drybrushing and all-over washes any more. Can't rescue it with brush cleaner, so just a drybrush it is. Trying to be careful with the others, but the size 1 has also lost its consistent tip and splits into 2 tips a lot, again for reasons I don't really understand that brush cleaner doesn't seem to fix like it's always said to.

Meanwhile my synthetics have all gone and died thanks to metallic paints. Hoping the new ones I picked up last a bit longer, haven't gotten to use them yet.