Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It's a rad power bikes.

It does not charge because the center contact is partially vaporized and won't make contact with the barrel plug anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Whoever mentioned Priority Bikes, thank you. I fell down the rabbit hole and ended up buying a Priority 600.

Now to find a 1700W hub motor that I can hook up to a spare wheel.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Sounds like bafang is making an automatic 3 speed internally geared hub that's designed for their ebike motors.

https://electrek.co/2022/06/21/bafang-three-speed-hub-electric-bike/

I haven't seen anything about cost or what dropout sizes they will fit, but it sounds like a really cool idea. If I blow up my sturmey archer hub I might replace it with one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

acidx posted:

Sounds like bafang is making an automatic 3 speed internally geared hub that's designed for their ebike motors.

https://electrek.co/2022/06/21/bafang-three-speed-hub-electric-bike/

I haven't seen anything about cost or what dropout sizes they will fit, but it sounds like a really cool idea. If I blow up my sturmey archer hub I might replace it with one.
Huh, it's interesting that they're confident enough to be planning on marketing it for normal bikes as well. It's cool that there's going to be more competition in the igh space

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Called up the local Tern dealer about schedule for the Quick Haul. They said they'd placed their yearly order and were expecting "a couple" to show up August, or possibly October if things get delayed. Can't put a deposit on one :shrug:. And that at last they can't place orders to Tern. So need to remember to check in then. I was sorta keen to use these people cuz they're a 1 min walk from my house.

Yeah welcome to the rona’ed bike retail channel.

mystes
May 31, 2006

While I was on a bike ride today one pedestrian asked me about my bike and said they liked the style and then another person on a normal bike told me very excitedly that they had already ordered a Rad Power bike and it was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday but the delivery had unfortunately been delayed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp, a warning to those who've not yet had the experience: if you're gonna lift your 50+ lbs ebike, lift with your loving legs and use two hands, don't just awkwardly try to finagle it with one. My weekend is now dedicated to nursing my first back muscle strain :toot:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I recomend weed and light stretching so you don't seize up all on one side.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Also going for a couple walks is better than being entirely sedentary. Get well soon!

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
What's everyone's opinion on converting a normal bike to an e-Bike? I have a lead on a good, reasonably priced fat-tire bike that will be great for snowy riding and a good compliment to my current commuter... but it will be heavy, and I have a few hills to manage that would make it difficult/impractical. The E-Bike option could be a good route to take, but I'm wondering if the conversion would be an even better choice. Does anyone personally have any experience with brands to check out or avoid? Is it worth it to go the conversion route?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Before diving in you should decide if you want mid drive or hub drive and if you want torque sensing or basic cadence sensing or if you want a home built moped.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I recommend Grinn tech for hub drive. Their base/phaserunner controller is great and very customizable with a PC.
https://ebikes.ca

For mid drive your probably going to be looking for a bafang or tongshen reseller, Luna cycles might still be good, but I haven't dealt with them.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

When I did all my research for converting my (non fatbike commuter) I settled on a direct drive hub motor from Grin. It's been great so far, they are expensive but very well supported and high quality, plus as mentioned hilariously customizable.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

I need someone to tell me I'm very stupid for wanting to buy an Urban Arrow since the third kid is coming and the trailer will not fit them all - it does not feel like a good use of $8000 but I really want it!

Do it! I went for it a few months ago, and it's replaced a car for us. If there's anything you want to know, just ask, and I'll answer in the thread.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I don't own an eBike, but I've tested them (at a company I was at over a year ago).

Today I tried a neighbor's $9500 Specialized 29'er eMTB just up and down the block, and that was freaking nuts. So much power.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Idk poo poo about biking or e-bikes but we moved to a house that's a block away from one of those drop bike stations and now I e-bike everywhere for like $30/mo. I'd consider getting my own bike but it sounds like they're pretty expensive and I live up a hill so not having electric assist sounds like a nightmare for my flabby rear end.

I guess what I'm saying is e-bikes rule.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Justa Dandelion posted:

Idk poo poo about biking or e-bikes but we moved to a house that's a block away from one of those drop bike stations and now I e-bike everywhere for like $30/mo. I'd consider getting my own bike but it sounds like they're pretty expensive and I live up a hill so not having electric assist sounds like a nightmare for my flabby rear end.

I guess what I'm saying is e-bikes rule.
Securing ebikes at your destination is definitely a problem so if you have access with a bikeshare system with ebikes for $30/mo it makes a ton of sense to just use that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mystes posted:

Securing ebikes at your destination is definitely a problem so if you have access with a bikeshare system with ebikes for $30/mo it makes a ton of sense to just use that.

If you have to leave a bike alone for some time, a removable battery helps. It doesn't stop someone from throwing the rest into the back of a truck, but it's a lot harder to ride off on 50lb of unpowered aluminum.

That said if I had a an e-bike share station on my block I would be using the poo poo out of it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
$30 per month is a great price

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's less than I pay for the insurance on my car that I drive only once a week.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

For the thirty billionth time I've stopped at a cafe, used the cafe lock, and then yeeted my bike against the locked rear wheel because I forgot I used the cafe lock.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Same, but ulock just on my wheel and frame.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just got my Rad City 4 in a few days ago. I was going to spend like $3600 on Tern, but decided to try something cheaper first to see how I like it. I've got to say, i'm a little surprised with how...big... this bike feels. It's not uncomfortable, it just feels...robust.

It's been great though. I've been running all my errands on it, and have ridden probably 4x as many miles as I normally would. Can't believe how long the battery lasts either.

I do feel this occasional e-bike guilt, where it's helping me go up a killer hill I normally wouldn't try, and I feel like I should be working harder. Overall it's getting me out more, but I can't shake that feeling sometimes. Anyone else get that?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

frogbs posted:

I do feel this occasional e-bike guilt, where it's helping me go up a killer hill I normally wouldn't try, and I feel like I should be working harder. Overall it's getting me out more, but I can't shake that feeling sometimes. Anyone else get that?

🤷🏻‍♂️

People using regular bikes could always be running up those hills instead of relying on the crutch of a machine. I don’t think that any one way is more valid, it’s just what you personally enjoy more and can/will do.

I’m a bit bummed in a way that I will probably have to mostly use an e-bike thanks to my exceptionally poor stewardship of my knees while running in my youth, but that’s just because I really enjoy the runner’s high/meditative parts of intense extended cardio.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Diamondback's got a sale on their Union commuters. 3000 for the base with Bosch

https://www.diamondback.com/union-1-4664

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got myself a Walmart Hyper 250w e-bike, literally the cheapest I could find as I didn’t know if I’d like riding or not. Turns out I do lol

The thing barely gets me an hour of riding though at the top PAS mode, and its weak motor doesn’t help all that much.

But now I’m not sure just what kind of bike I want. I’d LOVE an Ariel Rider Grizzly but no way am I spending that much. Something like that though would be great.

This is a fun club to be in though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Welcome!

Next step up might be a Rad Power bike. They're solidly pretty good. I got passed by a couple riding them a few days back, and they seemed to be enjoying it.

Flip through and see what you like: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

Welcome!

Next step up might be a Rad Power bike. They're solidly pretty good. I got passed by a couple riding them a few days back, and they seemed to be enjoying it.

Flip through and see what you like: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes

Yeah, Rad is a really impressive operation, they're certainly not aiming at the top-of-the-line luxury market but you really make surprisingly few concessions when getting one given the price tag.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Hello thread! I’ve been out of the bicycle game for a long time and would like to start riding to work instead of driving. My commute has gone from ~40 miles each way to 7 miles round trip. Getting TO work isn’t an issue, but getting home when I’ll be tired and it’s hot has me worried. The other issue is that it’s all downhill on my way there but it’s something like a 500’ elevation gain coming home. I’m in decent shape but definitely not able to ride a traditional bike up those hills. Would an E bike be a good option for me?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
E-bike sounds like a great option for you. Arrive to work smelling nice, get home all sweaty.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aperture Priority posted:

Hello thread! I’ve been out of the bicycle game for a long time and would like to start riding to work instead of driving. My commute has gone from ~40 miles each way to 7 miles round trip. Getting TO work isn’t an issue, but getting home when I’ll be tired and it’s hot has me worried. The other issue is that it’s all downhill on my way there but it’s something like a 500’ elevation gain coming home. I’m in decent shape but definitely not able to ride a traditional bike up those hills. Would an E bike be a good option for me?
Yes especially if there's a secure place to store the bike

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i have ~140ft of elevation gain on my 1 mile commute, and my 250w class 1 e-bike (Cannondale treadwell neo 2) crushes it pretty easily. i definitely would not be riding up this hill on a normal bike.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I got the Rad Power front rack, but on my Rad City there really isn't that much space between the bottom of the rack and the top of my bars. I was going to mount a milk crate up-front, but it just wont fit. Does anyone know if the mounting points on Rad's bikes with smaller wheels are lower? Maybe on the Rad Wagon? I was hoping to put my dog in a milk crate mounted out front, but there isn't nearly enough room :-(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I checked out the product page of my bike at the local shop I got my e-MTB, mostly because I was trying to find out some spec. Noticed that they bumped it up by 1000€.

E-bike prices are just ridiculous.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Booo this take

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/08/ebike-electric-bikes-climate-change-exercise/671305/

quote:

Bikes have always worn many helmets: cycling as exercise, cycling as leisure, cycling as sport, cycling as transit. These roles often conflict with one another. The commuter sneers at the spinner, who pedals pointlessly to nowhere. The leisure-rider spurs the Lycra-racer, who endangers pedestrians and inspires drivers to hate cyclists. E-bikes continue, and worsen, that disorder by jumbling up aspects of bicycles and motorcycles. Strapping a motor to a bike turns out to alter more than just speed and exertion. It produces a chameleon that takes on, under various conditions, both the best and worst features of a variety of transportation technologies. The result is less an evolution of a two-wheeled machine than a pastiche of the many things such a device represents. It’s a monster made from bicycles and motorbikes.

Booooooo!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Once again, The Atlantic demonstrates it will publish just about any sufficiently inflammatory take as long as it's been wrapped in a thin veneer of academic language.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The author is just dumb and completely unable to grasp the idea of the bike as a utilitarian form of transportation as opposed to exercise or some sort of weird lifestyle status symbol

quote:

Perhaps my e-bike ambivalence comes in part from the bike’s strange social status. An e-bike isn’t cheap—the least expensive ones are about $1,000, and they go up to $5,000 or more. But the symbolic value one receives in exchange is minimal. Spending five large on a conventional bike would get you a status symbol—you’d come off as a cyclist for sure

quote:

Counterintuitively, because the e-bike is easier to ride than a normal bike, I feel less inclined to adopt it as a regular practice, let alone a whole commuting identity. All the downsides of biking still remain, without the satisfaction of persisting in the face of adversity.

That last quote makes it sound like they might be opposed to safe cycling infrastructure; after all once biking is safe like in the Netherlands biking is a boring thing everyone does rather than a cool thing special hardcore bike people do

The Atlantic is good at publishing stuff like this that's almost like a caricature of what conservatives might imagine liberals think

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 31, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh holy poo poo it's Ian Bogost. He taught at my college and then I used to troll him on Twitter before he got too annoying.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mean, no poo poo he doesn't see all the benefits if he's only riding around NYC. It's flat and dense there. The main reasons I've looked into e-bikes are that it's hilly as gently caress here and everything's inconveniently far for a normal bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I mean, no poo poo he doesn't see all the benefits if he's only riding around NYC. It's flat and dense there. The main reasons I've looked into e-bikes are that it's hilly as gently caress here and everything's inconveniently far for a normal bike.
he's literally saying that he doesn't like ebikes because they would make biking be less exercise and feel too easy, so attributing this reasoning to this piece seems massively overly generous

He probably also hates single speed bikes and cruisers and every bike that's not the kind of bike he's riding too

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 31, 2022