Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I don't know why I never thought about this until now but Jesus, having drones as FOs completely changes that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Report map haxx

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've said it before, but even if the US were to move to an MBT with an autoloader, it would be worth keeping the 4th crewman as a dedicated full time drone operator.

Edit: I think that observation drones will be the biggest change to the battlefield since the radio or smokeless powder.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 31, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
2/3rds of the way to Hammer’s Slammers there. All they need to do now is slave that main gun to onboard anti-air tracking

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Do NOT put impact fused grenades on the edge of a table. Just don’t.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

fatherboxx posted:

Report map haxx

Say a tanker this is cheating and doesnt count. However pretty drat ingenious.

One of the most interesting feature on the Rheinmetalls new proto they had on the spring was literally internal drone bay and optional fourth seater for drone FO and command&control stuff.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Someone should tell them that tanks are not sniper rifles, and they should stop using them wrong

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Valtonen posted:

Say a tanker this is cheating and doesnt count. However pretty drat ingenious.

One of the most interesting feature on the Rheinmetalls new proto they had on the spring was literally internal drone bay and optional fourth seater for drone FO and command&control stuff.

This is exactly what I mean. Every AFV, artillery observer, and at the very least company level infantry formation should have one.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

RFC2324 posted:

Someone should tell them that tanks are not sniper rifles, and they should stop using them wrong

Tanks as artillery, I imagine, would come in very handy if you cannot get support from actual artillery. This was definitely a thing for US tanks in the last century but that only for exceptional circumstances.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

My advanced battlefield expertise in Wargame: Red Dragon tells me these guys are all going to die, I sure hope I'm wrong!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CabooseRvB posted:

Tanks as artillery, I imagine, would come in very handy if you cannot get support from actual artillery. This was definitely a thing for US tanks in the last century but that only for exceptional circumstances.

I mean, the Sherman was designed from the get go to be able to provide service as an indirect fire system if needed We've always done that. I know during the crossing of the Rhine, some Shermans got attached to Artillery battalions and used in indirect fire missions.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1565005545773404160

This is a Professional gun crew. They've come a long way when it comes to proficiency, and that only comes with dedication and repetition.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

A.o.D. posted:

This is a Professional gun crew. They've come a long way when it comes to proficiency, and that only comes with dedication and repetition.

Those things are towed by the barrel? That really surprises me.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

ManMythLegend posted:

Makes a lot of sense, really. They are quite large, and towing by the trail means that either you have to accept a deceptively long tow, or find a way to make either the gun itself or its trails pivot 180 degrees-- both of which could make packing up a lot slower and harder work for the gunners.

I am by no means an expert on M777s (or any artillery for that matter), but I would imagine that there is some kind of tampion or shroud for the muzzle to keep out dirt and debris while moving around too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Additionally all those tank destroyer battalions that were used largely as indirect fire support in Italy and France. Quoting Wikipedia for the M10:

quote:

In reality, this was not the case and M10 battalions were attached, often semi-permanently, to infantry and armored divisions to provide additional direct and indirect fire support. Typical missions included providing indirect artillery fire by augmenting divisional artillery units

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
In the static phase of the Korean war it was very common to use all types of tanks for indirect fire. In particular I think they still had the 105 howitzer versions of the Sherman, but I think I read somewhere that they preferred the Shermans over the new M-46 because they were mostly used in static positions as artillery and wanted the lower weight and fuel consumption.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ManMythLegend posted:

Shroud and not directly to the barrel I would think. I imagine there is probably an element of "gently caress gently caress gently caress move move move" in the evasion of counter fire so might not be the "street" hookups? Other side could have brake lines and light hookups and stuff. rear end-pulling on all of that though, I wasn't an arty guy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

Getting shot at is good motivation too.

Today I learned that an M777 is towed by barrel. I had thought they'd face backwards in my ignorance of artillery.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Today I learned that an M777 is towed by barrel. I had thought they'd face backwards in my ignorance of artillery.

It is, but panic doesn't make for good ballet. This is skill and practice on display.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I would think having the barrel facing back would increase the risk of dragging / hitting / warping as it bounced around too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Also makes sense in that the truck can drop you basically lined up to the direction you want to fire rather than backing in or having to rotate the gun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russian “air defense” gets tired of working for Russia.

https://twitter.com/golub/status/1565066934764306432?s=21&t=QE-T24N8B-4zQiL4mlKrbQ

These are from the NAFO Discord. Not sure how to embed them as their MP4s.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1003007432722759730/1014626931628593293/-2150499863335431871.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1003007432722759730/1014626369289867334/IMG_9781.MP4

Edit: huh I wonder why one embedded?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Edit: huh I wonder why one embedded?

The one that embedded is ".mp4" and the one that didn't is ".MP4", maybe a bad regex on the server?

E: \/\/\/ Yep, tried the 2nd one with ".mp4" and it tried to embed but the URL is broken now.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1003007432722759730/1014626369289867334/IMG_9781.mp4

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 31, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The one that embedded is ".mp4" and the one that didn't is ".MP4", maybe a bad regex on the server?

E: \/\/\/ Yep, tried the 2nd one with ".mp4" and it tried to embed but the URL is broken now.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1003007432722759730/1014626369289867334/IMG_9781.mp4

Interesting I didn’t even know I could embed those; so honestly I’m happy at least one did. Thanks for trying though with the other one. The NAFO discord is filled with a thread of strike videos that are being added pretty much in real time after being pulled from Telegram.

Also big lol that Turkey decided to not get the F 35 so they could get the S400s.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I mean technically EVERY tank is and always has been mobile artillery.

Direct-fire artillery, that is, the way God and Napoleon intended artillery to be.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's gonna be weird when Ukrainian veterans are going around to NATO units explaining best practices and lessons learned. At this point the Ukrianian Armed Forces probably have the most practical knowledge of use and employment of many NATO weapon systems.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BaconAndBullets posted:

It's gonna be weird when Ukrainian veterans are going around to NATO units explaining best practices and lessons learned. At this point the Ukrianian Armed Forces probably have the most practical knowledge of use and employment of many NATO weapon systems.

I'd be shocked if that isn't happening behind the scenes at least between the US and Ukraine, would only make sense they tell us what works and what doesn't, if we're providing toys.

But yeah Ukraine has put more NATO weapons to their intended use than any NATO power besides the US at this point.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

orange juche posted:

I'd be shocked if that isn't happening behind the scenes at least between the US and Ukraine, would only make sense they tell us what works and what doesn't, if we're providing toys.

But yeah Ukraine has put more NATO weapons to their intended use than any NATO power besides the US at this point.

Arguably more than the US if you take into account most of that stuff was originally designed for the cold war/ conventional war with Russia.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Is near-peer artillery just like a massive game of battleship, except that yours and enemy targets can move so that speed and timing matter?

Seems like the trick is to have large numbers of unfired positions ready to strike whatever shows up on the counterbattery radar asap

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tomn posted:

I mean technically EVERY tank is and always has been mobile artillery.

Direct-fire artillery, that is, the way God and Napoleon intended artillery to be.

Every US-built tank from Sherman to Abrams have had gunner's quadrants and the other stuff necessary to do indirect fire if necessary.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A.o.D. posted:

This is exactly what I mean. Every AFV, artillery observer, and at the very least company level infantry formation should have one.

Im not that familiar with the average infantry company MTOE but cav scout troops all have a raven/puma(?, Can't remember what they're called). Pretty sure infantry companies have them as well though.

Scouts doing conventional warfare training rotations through NTC/JRTC is almost entirely looking at stuff through all of our fancy optics/UAVs and calling for fire with mortars/artillery spending on what the target is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

orange juche posted:

US has spent basically the last 8 years running real-time extremely practically oriented think tanks out of Ukraine to better oppose russian tactics and doctrine and equipment. literally dudes going from the front back to american advisory staff and asking 'how tf do we handle this?' and everyone involved workshopping out solutions to rapidly test out.

I can only imagine how much the pace of that has picked up in the last 8-9 months now that the budget and resources (and urgency) available to those efforts is just a blank check

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

CabooseRvB posted:

It was also used extensively in Vietnam. Because what else are you going to do with a tank in a jungle against an insurgent force?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1565016509029695488?s=21&t=utveg1R-nA-VzE9YYInbag

Tick Tock HIMARS all around the clock.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Fearless posted:

Makes a lot of sense, really. They are quite large, and towing by the trail means that either you have to accept a deceptively long tow, or find a way to make either the gun itself or its trails pivot 180 degrees-- both of which could make packing up a lot slower and harder work for the gunners.

I am by no means an expert on M777s (or any artillery for that matter), but I would imagine that there is some kind of tampion or shroud for the muzzle to keep out dirt and debris while moving around too.

Or you have your advance party pull you in so that the barrel lines up with the direction of fire then drop it, like you do with a M198. Which the 777 replaced. If you can do a U turn or a right or left you can pull a trail towed howitzer into position and on the azimuth of lay.

A.o.D. posted:

It is, but panic doesn't make for good ballet. This is skill and practice on display.

They have obviously done their cannoneer drills. Could be a bit faster on getting the sights into their box and on the truck but AAR poo poo comes after ivan is dead.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 1, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Suicide Watch posted:

Is near-peer artillery just like a massive game of battleship, except that yours and enemy targets can move so that speed and timing matter?

Seems like the trick is to have large numbers of unfired positions ready to strike whatever shows up on the counterbattery radar asap

This is why many western observers were worried abt russian doctrine whilst the US fires capabilities waned during operation bomb useless dirt- Russians have a ton of towed artillery attached to their fire elements that are less mobile but could -in theory- provide a LOT of fires overmatch in barrel-per-barrel area denial/attrition battle against a US BCT that has fewer but more capable platforms, meaning that after phase 25 of fire-counterfire-counter-counterfire-counter-countercounterfire the end result wouldve been that all the m109s have a k/d of 12/1 but still lost the overall fight since the 13th russian gun took them out.

It looks like this has turned out less than realistic in ukraine though largest due to russian logistics and command being.. less than their theoretical capability.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

All of the parts of the Army that were neglected during the past 20 years (ADA, artillery, chemical corps) are probably feeling a lot of love again.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BaconAndBullets posted:

At this point the Ukrianian Armed Forces probably have the most practical knowledge of use and employment of many NATO weapon systems.

That's a certain for the PzH2000, it was never used in any conflict i know of.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Long-loiter kamikaze drones would make me super nervous to be firing non-mechanized artillery. They're not super ubiquitous yet but the time is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1565301819512918016?s=20&t=yR3JuTzFkhHq4EvnWdVRRg