Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best matches are the ones where the middle ground is a loving warzone and it's completely unclear from the ground who won or lost

and then it pops to the endgame overhead map and you see the other team didn't ink their own base at all and you crush them by like 20%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

During the splatfest (which is really my only experience with the franchise in general), I lost a few times by something like 0.4% and I always thought 'if only I'd have rolled a BIT more around the base...'

It's a killer when you know it's just because you were sloppy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

wolfs posted:

I ordered a slightly discounted animal crossing edition switch off woot that should be arriving any day now in order to play splatoon 3, after having only played splatoon 2 once while cat sitting at a friend’s house many years ago.

Any hot tips to ink better-er?

Play around, experiment and try to focus on what you should've done with the information you had. Watching what other people do right or wrong is extremely helpful. As for basic turfwar strategy. Rush to grab territory, if you get splatted ink on your way back. Driving away opponents is almost as good as killing them and learning to use your subs as tools to give you more options is vital. For example putting a sprinkler in a place where they have to aim up to shoot often gives you the drop on an opponent, but most importantly, dress fresh and have fun.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

During the splatfest (which is really my only experience with the franchise in general), I lost a few times by something like 0.4% and I always thought 'if only I'd have rolled a BIT more around the base...'

empty ground is worth half as many points as inking over the enemy ink

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was the opposite

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Empty ground is worth more points to you for charging specials, I think, but inking over enemy ink both raises your score and lowers the enemies, so it is better for end-of-game. I think.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Play around, experiment and most importantly, dress fresh and have fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It still adds up regardless. I always ink the spawn at start if my team doesn’t. I always go for the out of the way places too.

I don’t really play turf war much outside of Splatfests though. I much prefer ranked, even clam blitz. I’ll go straight there if my transferred rank from 2 let’s me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought it was the opposite

they mean from a victory differential standpoint. if it's 45% you, 50% them, and 5% clear, taking the clear 5% territory gets a tie, but taking even 3% from them nets you a win.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ever since Splatoon 1, I've always focused on covering enemy ink in the last bit of time for that reason.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 31, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For sure at the end that's the right move 99% of the time

Just when you respawn, pick a route back to the action where you can fill in some gaps

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah. In the test, there were some pretty significant side lanes from the spawn that people frequently were ignoring.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

my expert turf war strategy is to consume a six pack of Pabst and just roll with it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Saint Freak posted:

The best matches are the ones where the middle ground is a loving warzone and it's completely unclear from the ground who won or lost

and then it pops to the endgame overhead map and you see the other team didn't ink their own base at all and you crush them by like 20%

The best matches imo are the ones where you win by 0.1% and you can say it's because of the bomb you threw right before time ran out

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I always enjoyed in 1 seeing the frantic at-the-buzzer inkstrikes showing up during the results tally.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

raditts posted:

The best matches imo are the ones where you win by 0.1% and you can say it's because of the bomb you threw right before time ran out

During a splatfest, i got matched into my first ever 100x match and we were getting completely destroyed the whole time. Somehow, right in the last 20 seconds, i broke through the line and went on a deep run in enemy territory. In the final tally, we won by .1% and let me tell you, i have never felt a high like that in gaming since :feelsgood:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
playing turf war in s2 right now feels like an exercise in suffering, i have maybe 80 hours in this game total and every single one of my lobbies are 800+ hours, just getting styled on

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh my god

Inkbrush with run speed up, ink saver sub, and special charge up

I'm getting double digit kills and ~2300 turf points per round why didn't anyone tell me this five years ago

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 1, 2022

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Doublestep posted:

playing turf war in s2 right now feels like an exercise in suffering, i have maybe 80 hours in this game total and every single one of my lobbies are 800+ hours, just getting styled on

This was my experience right before the splatfest. Not sure what the reason for it is, maybe all the good players are practicing 24/7 for 3?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a busy weekend so all the super tryhards will hopefully already have themselves leveled up before I wade into the meat grinder

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I am gonna try really hard too but... slower

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Just when you respawn, pick a route back to the action where you can fill in some gaps

Probably a super obvious thing, but good practice to bring up the map during the few seconds you are waiting to respawn, see what areas near your base need to be inked and go along that route
I really want to go back into 2 after the splatfest but am trying to resist it so that 3 will feel more special when it comes out. At the very least might go through octo expansion again some time after 3 is out.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

man i am not gonna miss twenty armour rounds

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
If it's not that, it's something else.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pisses me off tremendously when I see that.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the general idea on sensitivity for the pro controller? I know it's ultimately "what you're comfortable with," and know I'm not just going to copy someone's settings and immediately not suck horribly. Wondering more if to generally want lower or higher sens to mess around with.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PageMaster posted:

What's the general idea on sensitivity for the pro controller? I know it's ultimately "what you're comfortable with," and know I'm not just going to copy someone's settings and immediately not suck horribly. Wondering more if to generally want lower or higher sens to mess around with.

Max it out and then back off if you need to, two hands limits your physical range of motion quite a bit compared to the joycons

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Max it out and then back off if you need to, two hands limits your physical range of motion quite a bit compared to the joycons

Thanks! Am I dense or is there no way to change sensitivity in the middle of a match?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Did I hear or learn that there was going to be some sort of meta hashtag-like thing for big online groups of players? I remember sort of hearing about something like that and thinking "oh neat, that'll be a good thing for all goon players."

I don't even know what I'd look up to learn more.

Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Did I hear or learn that there was going to be some sort of meta hashtag-like thing for big online groups of players? I remember sort of hearing about something like that and thinking "oh neat, that'll be a good thing for all goon players."

I don't even know what I'd look up to learn more.

Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Yeah, they explain it somewhere on this page, under future updates

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PageMaster posted:

I personally run max gyro sensitivity but keep the stick sensitivity at default.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I personally run max gyro sensitivity but keep the stick sensitivity at default.

i do the opposite. Max stick sens with default gyro. My logic is that i need the max stick sens for those situations where you swim/run past another player and you both need to turn around to hit each other. Having the max sens on the stick gives me the edge cause I can turn faster. Gryo aiming is for fine-tuning so I dont need it moving all over the place as I clumsily fumble my hands around

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, they explain it somewhere on this page, under future updates

Thanks!

We all need to think up a keyword soon (if not now).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got charged for my pre-order. I am amped for this!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks!

We all need to think up a keyword soon (if not now).

#WoomyCrew

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Relyssa posted:

#WoomyCrew

Not #WoomyGoons? Or is Goon not cool any more?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Not #WoomyGoons? Or is Goon not cool any more?

#WoomyGoons is fine too, just posted the first thing that popped into my head.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Splutgoons taken?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Upsidads posted:

Splutgoons taken?

I'm sorry but that just sounds gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

#splagoon is right there guys