Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

radlum posted:

I just found out that there’s a midsize AoS community in my city. I stopped playing WFB after End Times and have a bunch of Empire, HE, DE and WE miniatures laying around.

Could I start playing AoS using those models as Cities of Sigmar units? I know there’s gonna be stuff for CoS later on but I wanted to know if it’s worth it to try using my current models right now

Depends on the models but for the most part, yes, you can. Wood Elves, Dark Elves and Empire in particular are all still usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

radlum posted:

I just found out that there’s a midsize AoS community in my city. I stopped playing WFB after End Times and have a bunch of Empire, HE, DE and WE miniatures laying around.

Could I start playing AoS using those models as Cities of Sigmar units? I know there’s gonna be stuff for CoS later on but I wanted to know if it’s worth it to try using my current models right now

Have a browse through the COS range to see what units are there.

Also, everyone will be cool with you running models that are no longer supported as the closest thing. Nobody will complain if you run old White Lions as Phoenix Guard for instance.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-W...661373060000%5D

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

radlum posted:

Itll depend on the specific models, the Tree units in WE formed the basis of thr Sylvaneth faction and while the female Khainite models form the bulk of the Daughters of Khaine faction. Otherwise most everything else got dumped into Cities.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Really depends on the stuff, and there's quite a few that still exist in the Legends booklet so YMMV.

Empire troops mostly came through intact as CoS, and I think its just the non-gryph charger knights and the greatcannon* that are just gone.

High Elves In a weird situation where while Phoenix Guard got split into a Cities unit, the regular troops portion essentially got updated into the Lumineth faction, while technically still existing as-is as Legends units.

Dark Elves likewise where most of the non-khainite stuff got folded into Cities.

Wood Elves on the other hand lost a *lot* of stuff; as said the tree units were the basis of the Sylvaneth, and cities got the Eternal Guard, Wild Riders, Wildwood Rangers, and Sisters of the Thorn, plus Glade Guard and the wizards as legends. Wardancers, all of the birds, and all of the various archers didn't even get a legends entry.

THAT SAID Cities is pretty much something you can go nuts with using old models to stand-in for stuff as long as you're not too bothered by keyword weirdness. So, like, WE archers work as Shadow Warriors or Sisters of the Watch, HE spears can be less grim Dreadspears, et cetera.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Wood Elves on the other hand lost a *lot* of stuff; as said the tree units were the basis of the Sylvaneth, and cities got the Eternal Guard, Wild Riders, Wildwood Rangers, and Sisters of the Thorn, plus Glade Guard and the wizards as legends. Wardancers, all of the birds, and all of the various archers didn't even get a legends entry.
First they came for the chariots,

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Well all the Sons of Behemet just disappeared off the GW website

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...000%5D&view=all

Probably a sign that a new book is coming for them soon

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Probably a sign that a new book is coming for them soon
Noooooo, I wanted to see Gitz or Ogors next :(

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, this poo poo just happens all the time to stuff for any number of reasons. Don't read too much into it, you'll drive yourself batty.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talas posted:

Noooooo, I wanted to see Gitz or Ogors next :(

even if it does turn out to be an SoB book the schedule says TWO destruction books are after Lumineth and Tzeentch, Gitz or Ogors have to be at least one of them

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I'm deeply suspicious of this new-fangled Age of Sigmar stuff, as the last time I spent any time in a GW shop there were millions of wee lead men in blister packs on hooks, and the 6th edition Fantasy rulebook had just been released.

That said, I quite like the look of those new Dwarf Irondrakes. Can you rank them up on square bases without any issues?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gambrinus posted:

I'm deeply suspicious of this new-fangled Age of Sigmar stuff, as the last time I spent any time in a GW shop there were millions of wee lead men in blister packs on hooks, and the 6th edition Fantasy rulebook had just been released.

That said, I quite like the look of those new Dwarf Irondrakes. Can you rank them up on square bases without any issues?

The Irondrakes are legacy WHFB minis that were carried over into AoS so they used to come on square bases

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

The Irondrakes are legacy WHFB minis that were carried over into AoS so they used to come on square bases

Are they? I didn't realise that, they must have come out after I lost interest. Thanks!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You can make/find square movement trays that will let you rank up round based units. Check out "Conquest: Last Argument of Kings" as while it has the stupidest name possible, their base system is very clever.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It's a good name Brent

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, this poo poo just happens all the time to stuff for any number of reasons. Don't read too much into it, you'll drive yourself batty.

Although there might be some truth to it.
https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1564228951341469697

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Watching the Sons of Behemat battletome slowly morph and become the Imperial Knights codex in front of my eyes. I open it up and there's six different relics for Gatebreaker Gargants. None of them are any good.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
SoB would be a lot less boring if they played more like Imperial Knights. Also heres hoping nobody needs to use those awful mancrusher gargants ever again.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
They need an even smaller g iant.

edit: really huge gnoblars

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Clearly it'll become the new Ogre army book. That's about the smallest giant you can get.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Three toes is troggs, not gargants.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
kraken-eater has three toes

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m almost certain it’s ogors vs gloomspite because those are the two factions left that have neither had a box drop OR a White Dwarf update. SoB got their update a year ago, first of the lot.

E: and they’re done putting out WD updates, it’s been like three issues since the last one. All the factions that haven’t gotten one have been the ones getting new boxes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Clearly even bigger Mega-Gargants are coming.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That teaser is almost definitely for SoB, especially since all their models got removed from the site a few days ago, presumably for a 3.0 reboxing. The mancrusher sculpts are pretty bad and realistically they could really use another gargant kit (and a reason to take more than 1 type of gargant) so I wouldn't get my hopes up for any troggs, as much as I love them and want Gitz to be anything other than the "fun models but you lose 100% of competitive games" faction.

Ogors and Gitz are basically both in the same position of having a mostly modern line that just needs some battleline / hero sculpt refreshes, so a versus starter box for them would make sense.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Omegargants

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Redo the mancrushers so you have a melee one and one with a gun or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I may have asked something similar before, but can anyone tell me how you would start to make a Khorne themed warriors of chaos (rather than nude dudes with bad tudes) army that includes a large number of mighty skullcrushers?

Do you need the khorne and std books? Is there interaction between the two or would I just be able to use std? I haven't done anything aos related for a few years and only ever played KO so I've got zero idea how multiple books and chaos allies work if at all.

E: I understand taking a couple of the nude khorne guys is good for the army and I'm on board with that, I just like red and brass warriors primarily though. It doesn't have to win tournaments, just be functional

I guess I could use the cool new chaos warriors and give them khorne hats to make them blood warriors and not worry about all this messing around?

Hmm I could just juggerlord, juggernauts and fill the rest with bloodthirsters and khorne hounds that sounds like my poo poo

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 31, 2022

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

JBP posted:

Do you need the khorne and std books?

I don’t think you need the slaanesh book at all

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you want a Khorne and Slaves to Darkness army, yes, you should get their books. One in four units in Khorne can be S2D, if you want, though you’d still need Battleline from Khorne so you’d need to take three units of Blood Warriors if you want armored non-naked dudes. If you run S2D Khorne themed, you instead have to use Allies budget on Khorne units, so you have a points limit on how many you can take as well as max 1 in 4 units being Khorne.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Khorne is due for an update too.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JBP posted:

Do you need the khorne and std books? Is there interaction between the two or would I just be able to use std? I haven't done anything aos related for a few years and only ever played KO so I've got zero idea how multiple books and chaos allies work if at all.

Just to note, S2D is gonna be updated this winter, so you might wanna hold off on buying its book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

Nova reveal stream starting in like 10-ish minutes or so. Pregame quiz is up right now.

Edit:
So the new Khorne Gorechosen warband just got showed off in its full three model glory.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/01/nova-open-reveals-the-gorechosen-of-dromm-are-coming-to-claim-glory-and-skulls

And a new Ogor Mawtribe model shown off, the Bloodpelt Hunter. He fucks that's for sure.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/01/nova-open-reveals-the-bloodpelt-hunter-arrives-to-stalk-the-deadliest-game/

And Sons of Behemat is getting an even bigger Giant with King Brodd.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/01/nova-open-reveals-king-brodd-will-crush-the-mortal-realms/

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 1, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oh hell yes the new Ogor and Gargant are both amazing. If Ogors got a battleline revamp of that quality I'd start them in a heartbeat. The current sculpts look alright until you see this new one next to them lol.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

New Slaves of Darkness Army set revealed/announced.
With the models we saw from the army book leak a couple of months back. The new Chosen look stellar.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/01/nova-open-reveals-bring-ruin-to-the-realms-with-this-slaves-to-darkness-launch-set/

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 1, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Chaos Warriors without giant cloaks don't look right to me now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

smug jeebus posted:

Chaos Warriors without giant cloaks don't look right to me now

Good cause these the Chosen the rank above them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This was an amazing stream. I was wrong about Gloomspite but now I’m wondering if they do a box with cheaper than normal giants or if they break pattern on ogors vs sons.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Honestly wonder how King Brodd is going to fit into SoB armies - it seems like he would have to be more expensive that the current Mega-Gargants, but there's already zero wiggle room on points, so that would mean losing another body in an army that already really struggles when it comes to objective coverage. Guessing he's gonna buff up Mancrushers so that you're basically choosing between Mega-Gargants or Brodd + the smaller guys.

Hopefully they find a way to make other options worth taking, because the models are so cool but the "oops all Gatebreakers" lists are boring and even those are barely competitive nowadays.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
They did say Brogg was a priest so at least that is something SoB havent had access to before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tried to apply everything I've learned over the last year painting into one of my favourite Lumineth hero models.