Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

I do feel like the show is missing the good guy and relatable characters GoT had.

Like you had Jon, Arya, Davos, Tyrion, and Brienne who you could petty easily root for. Sam as well, who wasn't a really big player but we liked him and got to see Jon from a different point of view.

There's not really anyone like that here. Yeah Rhaenyra is close, but not quite there. I could see Daemon being a good guy if he stopped being impulsive and and rear end. The king is nice but you know he's gonna die sooner or later so there's not much to expect from him.

Hopefully they give the audience characters that you can cheer for and relate to.

How can you not root for Corlys. He's always right and tired of this poo poo as nobody listens to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

How can you not root for Corlys. He's always right and tired of this poo poo as nobody listens to him.

He's probably the best they got, but he's simply more grounded and direct than the rest of the nobles. Like a somewhat more blue-collar hereditary lord. He doesn't seem to have any clever schemes in the works, and he's not funny.

He did just try to get the king to marry his 12-year-old daughter though.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crapilicious posted:

That's why I want a Robert's Rebellion book/show. It would fill in a lot of blanks.

Since time jumps are a thing for this season I’d bet money that this show in season 5 will follow House Targarian all the away up to the king slaying the Targarians being wiped out by Robert’s men.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I wonder if Viserys knows that he doesn't have to marry Alicent to play Warhammer with her.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PostNouveau posted:

He's probably the best they got, but he's simply more grounded and direct than the rest of the nobles. Like a somewhat more blue-collar hereditary lord. He doesn't seem to have any clever schemes in the works, and he's not funny.

And everyone agreed it was a good idea.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Crapilicious posted:

That's why I want a Robert's Rebellion book/show. It would fill in a lot of blanks.
The executive summary is that Stannis had a tremendous case of Middle Child Syndrome. When they were kids Robert was the heir to the Stormlands, being groomed for rule, unstoppable in battle, tremendously handsome, and a walking charisma bomb, while Renly was flamboyant, witty, and charming, always seeking out attention to grab. Stannis was quiet and took care of his own poo poo and got mostly overlooked.

When the Rebellion came, Robert told him to hold Storm's End, their ancestral seat, since it'd look terrible and be a huge morale blow if their own castle fell (which was true; witness how bad losing Winterfell was to the Stark cause). So he did. And when the Tyrells arrived to take the castle, he settled in for a long siege, and... that's it. He was besieged. He resisted heroically (anyone not as psychotically stubborn would have surrendered), he obeyed his brother's orders, he aided the rebellion tremendously by keeping the crowned stag flying above Storm's End, but... that's a negative contribution. He didn't aid in any obvious way, what he did was not deal the cause a tremendous blow. Just as important, but not the sort of thing that wins glory. Stannis spends literally the entire rebellion besieged in Storm's End. The siege ends when, after Rhaegar's death and the sack of King's Landing, Ned Stark comes up, tells the Tyrells "hey, all the Targaryens are dead", and they surrender peacefully. No battle is ever joined at all. No glory for Stannis.

After the war, Robert tells him "hey, good job, go hold Dragonstone for me, okay?" Which is a seat of high honor -- it was the traditional holding of the heir to the throne under the Targaryens -- but it's not Storm's End. The ancestral seat of House Baratheon, which now belongs to Stannis by right. Which he and his loved ones drat near starved to death holding for Robert. Renly gets that one.

So he's got some loving grudges.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So he's got some loving grudges.

Stannis also sails around the broken arm then helps defeat the Iron Fleet + land troops on the island during the iron islands rebellion.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mightygerm posted:

I think what this show is lacking is comedy. The audience began to love some of these characters - Tyrion, Bronn, even Robert - due to the comedic scenes and funny situations they were occasionally put in. Now we have all drama and no vehicle to bring levity into the plot.

We got a fart. What more do you want?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

CODChimera posted:

was that a throwaway line or what exactly?

It was the tourney scene that resulted in an all-out bloodbath. I counted 6 high-borns getting murdered in various ways, counteracting the argument that this show is less wantonly violent than GoT. Stark and Lannister were the only insignia I noticed, but I'm sure the others were also from noble houses.

The Lannisters went on an all-out war footing when Tyrion, who they loving despise, got kidnapped. Imagine a Lannister failson getting bludgeoned to death with a mace in a tourney. Tournament deaths aren't uncommon in Westeros, but they're usually accidental or disguised as accidents like with Jon Arryn's squire. A bunch of nobles just wailing on each other with last man standing rules and no political consequences is insane.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just tell yourself "he was like the fourth son" and move on

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

It's been a long time since I read the book but the king married Aemma when she was like 10 or 11 and got her knocked up when she was 12,, which probably explains why she had so many issues with childbirth.

I really dislike the whole concept in GRRM's world that girls are wife material as soon as they hit puberty. It doesn't track with what we know of medieval society. Betrothals and arranged marriage was common amongst nobility, but nobody was loving and making babies until both parties were in their 20s.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

A bunch of nobles just wailing on each other with last man standing rules and no political consequences is insane.

Agreed - I think it was a scene-specific choice to conflate the violence of the tourney with the violence of the birthing room. I think the writer/director chose to sacrifice narrative consistency for a fairly heavy handed thematic comparison. It was the payoff for the queen's speech to the princess about a woman's role in their society.

If anything, I think the choice to make the tourney a bloodbath was a misfire because it overstated the level of violence usually experienced by men in the setting. Women presumably die fairly often in childbirth in Westeros, whereas men rarely die in battle. The show could have leaned into that and showed how fake and absurd the level of "violence" of the big boy dress up games is, and that could have made a pretty strong statement about how the violence women face is much more real and prevalent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's been a long time since I read the book but the king married Aemma when she was like 10 or 11 and got her knocked up when she was 12,, which probably explains why she had so many issues with childbirth.

I really dislike the whole concept in GRRM's world that girls are wife material as soon as they hit puberty. It doesn't track with what we know of medieval society. Betrothals and arranged marriage was common amongst nobility, but nobody was loving and making babies until both parties were in their 20s.

That's super interesting. I'll admit I let GRRM's medieval pastiche lead me to think this was how poo poo went down back then.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Since time jumps are a thing for this season I’d bet money that this show in season 5 will follow House Targarian all the away up to the king slaying the Targarians being wiped out by Robert’s men.

They're already working on a Hedge Knight show, and that's 100 years before Robert's Rebellion.

So probably not.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

That's super interesting. I'll admit I let GRRM's medieval pastiche lead me to think this was how poo poo went down back then.

Have you read a little chapter called "Mercy" by chance?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaxyon posted:

They're already working on a Hedge Knight show, and that's 100 years before Robert's Rebellion.

So probably not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the planned shows change a bunch of times. If this continues to be successful they might just hedge their bets and roll some of their other planned shows into it.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

On the other hand, Margaret Beaufort (Henry VII's mother) had him when she was 13, and Catherine of Aragon (Henry VIII's first wife) was 15 when she came over to England. GRRM has been open about the Wars of the Roses (Margaret's era, and in living memory for Catherine) being a strong inspiration, too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

stev posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the planned shows change a bunch of times. If this continues to be successful they might just hedge their bets and roll some of their other planned shows into it.

Theyre already hedging their knights

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mirotic posted:

On the other hand, Margaret Beaufort (Henry VII's mother) had him when she was 13, and Catherine of Aragon (Henry VIII's first wife) was 15 when she came over to England. GRRM has been open about the Wars of the Roses (Margaret's era, and in living memory for Catherine) being a strong inspiration, too.

Whoa, pedo island did pedo poo poo back then? Crazy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
apparently miguel sapochnik won't be back as co-showrunner next season. so ryan condal will be the showrunner.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

stev posted:

The idea that the success of this show might cause them to greenlight less projects sure is a take.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

Whoa, pedo island did pedo poo poo back then? Crazy

Overwhelmingly, not just the Paedoph Isles, european nobles did the pedo incest poo poo and commoners had more relatable relationships. GRRM's big flaw is portraying everything and everyone as infinite rape and murder machines. Yes it happened, but it wasn't 24/7. Lots of people were, yknow, people, just as horrified as us modern folks would be by the endless atrocities in Westeros.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Mirotic posted:

Age of first marriage depended on place and class. Dowries increased drastically with a woman's age: there was incentive on the part of upper class parents to marry off daughters young. For the male's family, there was incentive that the marriage was consummated as soon as possible: only then would they control the dowry. This does not mean that every marriage was consummated at 14 (Margaret Beaufort's confessor spoke of his horror at her pregnancy at such a young age i.e. it freaked contemporaries out), but it did happen and there were material reasons for the practice. For lower and middle classes in most places in Europe, the demographics of marriage on average wouldn't be considered unusual by today's standards, particularly in parts of Germany, Italy and England.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Yudo posted:

Age of first marriage depended on place and class. Dowries increased drastically with a woman's age: there was incentive on the part of upper class parents to marry off daughters young. For the male's family, there was incentive that the marriage was consummated as soon as possible: only then would they control the dowry. This does not mean that every marriage was consummated at 14 (Margaret Beaufort's confessor spoke of his horror at her pregnancy at such a young age i.e. it freaked contemporaries out), but it did happen and there were material reasons for the practice. For lower and middle classes in most places in Europe, the demographics of marriage on average wouldn't be considered unusual by today's standards, particularly in parts of Germany, Italy and England.

Certainly, and I defer to your knowledge on particularly the middle and lower classes; I merely wanted to point out that there were examples of highborn women, in particular, who were married off quite young from the era GRRM has directly cited as inspo + the immediately following one in England.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Overwhelmingly, not just the Paedoph Isles, european nobles did the pedo incest poo poo and commoners had more relatable relationships. GRRM's big flaw is portraying everything and everyone as infinite rape and murder machines. Yes it happened, but it wasn't 24/7. Lots of people were, yknow, people, just as horrified as us modern folks would be by the endless atrocities in Westeros.

Worth noting that even the average citizens of Westeros think the Targaryen are gross and this is covered in Fire & Blood. They eventually put up with Targaryen incest but it's a big problem.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Margaret Beaufort might take issue with that assertion. She was something like 13 when Henry VII was born. It was more common in the medieval era for noble and royal births to happen when the mothers were teenagers whereas commoners tended to marry and have kids in their 20s. Being as young as Margaret Beaufort was uncommon though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the crabfeeder is so incredibly not interesting/memorable looking
he just looks like a bad guy in Ghosts of Mars or something lol

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
it was a weird way to end the episode, basically a dark souls boss intro cutscene tacked on.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Do crabs actually eat people alive? I'm just imagining some comical pinching and the crab scuttling away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It was the tourney scene that resulted in an all-out bloodbath. I counted 6 high-borns getting murdered in various ways, counteracting the argument that this show is less wantonly violent than GoT. Stark and Lannister were the only insignia I noticed, but I'm sure the others were also from noble houses.

The Lannisters went on an all-out war footing when Tyrion, who they loving despise, got kidnapped. Imagine a Lannister failson getting bludgeoned to death with a mace in a tourney. Tournament deaths aren't uncommon in Westeros, but they're usually accidental or disguised as accidents like with Jon Arryn's squire. A bunch of nobles just wailing on each other with last man standing rules and no political consequences is insane.

Did anyone really care when Rob’s guy killed those two captive wiener kids in season two, other than Rob?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

crab'll suck your dick if its hungry enough man

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

you may not like it but this is what peak targaryen looks like

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently one of the show-runners is going to step down for season 2 and is going to be replaced by one of the GoT lesser names, it just sounds like the show-runner is leaving to pursue other projects and there isn't any bad blood between them or anything of that sort. Alan Taylor is the name of the person semi-replacing them in season 2.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The kidnapping was a problem because it was viewed as a threat and an insult, and made them look weak. Tywin would be ecstatic if Tyrion got killed in a tournament.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Re: How realistic the tournament deaths were, the English king Henry VIII and the Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian I both verifiably fought in tournament melees/jousted, and both reportedly had pretty narrow brushes with death during their bouts (Maximillian was almost crushed by his horse, death was definitely on the table). French king Henri II died in a jousting match in 1559, taking a splinter from a lance in the eye. 6 high lords or their heirs dying in one day would be a bit much, but 6+ fatalities including a few second sons and minor nobles seems fine.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Rewatched the tourney melee so I can pick out the house lords fighting and lol of course its a Stark that gets the most brutal death of getting his face deleted

nopants
May 29, 2004

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Re: How realistic the tournament deaths were, the English king Henry VIII and the Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian I both verifiably fought in tournament melees/jousted, and both reportedly had pretty narrow brushes with death during their bouts (Maximillian was almost crushed by his horse, death was definitely on the table). French king Henri II died in a jousting match in 1559, taking a splinter from a lance in the eye. 6 high lords or their heirs dying in one day would be a bit much, but 6+ fatalities including a few second sons and minor nobles seems fine.

the thing that seemed out of the ordinary to me was that dudes were getting their heads busted in by maces. they seemed like they were all actually trying to kill each other rather than someone falling off a horse, getting crushed by a horse, or getting impaled by a piece of a broken lance. those are incidental deaths rather than a guy getting his head demolished by a mace. it is hard to imagine a lord letting go that some other lord's son bashed his sons heads to bits during the king's melee

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Knights liked money. Kicking rear end at a tournament and rasoming back the defeated's armor was big buisness. Kicking rear end on a battlefield and rasoming prisoners was how the bills got paid. Dead people generally aren't interested in buying back their armor and horse, nor are families going to pay a premium for a corpse. People did get hosed up in the mêlée, but that wasn't the goal (and by the time tilts were in use--as it was in the episode's tournament--only blunted swords and lances were allowed, no maces or clubs).

GoT is a fantasy magic show about dragons, but dumb is dumb.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

nopants posted:

the thing that seemed out of the ordinary to me was that dudes were getting their heads busted in by maces. they seemed like they were all actually trying to kill each other rather than someone falling off a horse, getting crushed by a horse, or getting impaled by a piece of a broken lance. those are incidental deaths rather than a guy getting his head demolished by a mace. it is hard to imagine a lord letting go that some other lord's son bashed his sons heads to bits during the king's melee

I thought that was explained in the incidental dialogue with Rhaenys' dismissal of the knights as tourney knights, saying they were taking things too far because none of them had ever seen "real" combat (and thus were presumably less averse to spilling blood wantonly). Also as a way to show the reign of the Targaeryans as a more "brutal" era, befitting a conquest dynasty that ruled through force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

French king Henri II died in a jousting match in 1559, taking a splinter from a lance in the eye.

The most unrealistic part of that episode was Doctor Who in jousting armor that didn't cover his face.

Literally nobody would joust without a face covering.