Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I think some of the annoyance is that they seemed to be on the right track after last league with nerfing harder mods and such, then went backwards somehow and they got harder again so they're having to re-nerf now.

Then the loot changes amplified a lot of annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Current streamer hotness is that Tarkat dropped Belfry strat. The Kitava boss spawns like 2 rares and a pack of blues every phase change, so that's like CASH MONEY HONEY. Juice rare monster bonuses in the atlas.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got over 200 hours in this game and I still don't understand poo poo. Every few leagues I get a hankering to play, very strictly follow a build guide, have some fun and dip in early maps when I've had my fill. The thought of even attempting to make my own build is like.....how the gently caress can anyone do it?

Because I play so infrequently there are always new mechanics when I come back. Most of the league mechanics at least make intuitive sense - the build a monster one, for example. You put the parts in and see what they do and get the rewards. Or the one where you put the explosives down and it's a little minigame to see if you can get all the chests. But I have absolutely no idea what is even going on with Betrayal. I arbitrarily choose the options when I kill the bad guys and have not one single clue what any of it means. The cards whizz around and the strings change colour and what the gently caress does any of it mean?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Bardeh posted:

I've got over 200 hours in this game and I still don't understand poo poo. Every few leagues I get a hankering to play, very strictly follow a build guide, have some fun and dip in early maps when I've had my fill. The thought of even attempting to make my own build is like.....how the gently caress can anyone do it?

Because I play so infrequently there are always new mechanics when I come back. Most of the league mechanics at least make intuitive sense - the build a monster one, for example. You put the parts in and see what they do and get the rewards. Or the one where you put the explosives down and it's a little minigame to see if you can get all the chests. But I have absolutely no idea what is even going on with Betrayal. I arbitrarily choose the options when I kill the bad guys and have not one single clue what any of it means. The cards whizz around and the strings change colour and what the gently caress does any of it mean?

same but 3700 hours

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same but about 10k hours

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Bardeh posted:

But I have absolutely no idea what is even going on with Betrayal. I arbitrarily choose the options when I kill the bad guys and have not one single clue what any of it means. The cards whizz around and the strings change colour and what the gently caress does any of it mean?

It's really hard to tl;dr how Betrayal works, but assuming you don't want to read the entire Wiki entry: look at rewards (do look at the Wiki for that, the in-game text sucks), determine which ones are good, try to get that person under the corresponding branch. Research and Intervention tend to be the money ones. Try to build up Rivalries (or Allies, but Rivalries are better) with the members that you want rewards from, as that means they'll be more likely to show up in encounters. Once the Intelligence bar for a branch has filled you run a Safehouse encounter for that branch where you fight everyone under that branch and collect their rewards. Do enough Safehouses you'll be able to fight the Necromancer herself who :siren: SPOILER ALERT :siren: is Catarina the Necromancer in a twist that literally everyone saw coming when Betrayal was first announced.

And no, I'm not tl;dr'ing that even further.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I haven’t logged on in two days, so I guess I am done with the league (which is probably the least amount of time I’ve played a league since I started PoE).

Archnemesis didn’t make me quit. If anything, I’ve liked the change, and having there occasionally be a dangerous rare that you have to skip is a good change. The health scaling and defenses was the only problem I had with AN, where you come across something that is not dangerous, but is just a tedious slog to fight (like that clip of Nugi walking away and letting his character keep wailing on a rare for almost 10 minutes).

The loot changes bugged me. I would have gotten stuck in yellow maps without the guild bank, because the currency drop nerf meant I couldn’t afford to make up for the lack of map drops by buying maps from Kira’s. But the patches and getting to a stage where I can chisel, alch and go t16s definitely felt like loot was “fine” at that level.

The reason I’m done with the league is the character balance has felt really stale. We had patch 3.17, then no change, now 3.17, but everything is worse, and SRS took the place of Skelemages. Logging in and farming felt really pointless when I realized there was no build I was working towards. I started LC which was decent but clunky, rerolled as RF to do some easy farming, but there is nothing to work towards.

I fear these underwhelming balance changes are going to be the norm since all of the development focus is on PoE2. It feels like the people who work on character balance are only allocated to the current game a few hours a league.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Magus42 posted:

I think some of the annoyance is that they seemed to be on the right track after last league with nerfing harder mods and such, then went backwards somehow and they got harder again so they're having to re-nerf now.

Then the loot changes amplified a lot of annoyance.

also Sentinels were probably the most rewarding league mechanic ever and were dead simple to use. Press F2 and currency pours from le glacier

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Bardeh posted:

I have 8k hours played according to Steam, since the 1.0 release day. For the first 2k hours, I either made my own build and failed spectacularly, or followed a build by someone like Mathil and succeeded far past my expectations. Being able to craft your own build from scratch just comes from a long-rear end accumulation of knowledge and quite a lot of copying the ways in which good builds scale their damage and defenses.

Even with this huge amount of time investment, I've only felt like three of my self-designed builds have ever felt "top-tier" (LL BV Occultist in Incursion league that I got my first uber elder kill with, Voidforge Cyclone Slayer in Metamorph, and BF Surrender maxblock Gladiator in Ultimatum). And all of those characters have had very key elements nerfed into the ground since then, so I can't possibly copy-paste and have the same success.

It's Sisyphean. If the theorycrafting is half of the fun for you, then go for it. If not, then copy someone's good build and enjoy, there's no shame in that!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

also Sentinels were probably the most rewarding league mechanic ever and were dead simple to use. Press F2 and currency pours from le glacier

because I'm a weirdo, sentinel did little to nothing for me

recombinators I thought were rad, because they gave value to random floor trash, but sentinels were just a "make loot bigger button" without any meaningful gameplay attached to them

conceptually though, I really liked the idea of the sentinel board as a means of adjusting map to map loot focus - sort of like the atlas tree in miniature

I don't think they'd ever want to give us that much agency over loot, but in a roundabout way, a gameified version of the drop filter in grim dawn and lost epoch would be a lot of fun

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also sentinel is not the most rewarding mechanic ever lmfao. maybe if you slammed two amazing items together into one godtier item like idk a inc global defences hunter crit/curse chest that also has 1k base es or some poo poo. the most rewarding mechanic ever is heist, unquestionably, and it kind of still is. the most rewarding in-map one was probably legion or delerium. a couple free extra chaos or stacked decks is not even close

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I think the most rewarding mechanic ever was Harvest league Harvest, which GGG obviously reacted to with a big "Oh gently caress no, nonono you can't have that". Heist is pretty good though, yeah.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think the most rewarding mechanic ever was Harvest league Harvest, which GGG obviously reacted to with a big "Oh gently caress no, nonono you can't have that". Heist is pretty good though, yeah.

it dropped absolutely gently caress all and I quit after getting to white maps because it was so unbelievably unrewarding and boring lol. im aware the reward is the craft but to me that's like taking a poo poo on the floor in my house and saying I've given you some excellent, rewarding fertilizer

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

I will defeat you, Chris.

no matter the cost.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

it dropped absolutely gently caress all and I quit after getting to white maps because it was so unbelievably unrewarding and boring lol. im aware the reward is the craft but to me that's like taking a poo poo on the floor in my house and saying I've given you some excellent, rewarding fertilizer

Well yeah, if you didn't craft then it was absolutely nothing, but if you did craft then it was the most bonkers overpowered moneyprinter in the game's history. Even nuttier than Synthensis crafting, and less needlessly esoteric.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Harvest was loving cool for allowing you to make Factorio neon circuit board gardens. I printed graph paper for that league.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

legit bummed I missed that league, it looked crazy in the screens and stuff I saw online but I was taking a break during it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The crafting was cool but the garden management was tedious I felt.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The garden management got old as the league went on, and holy poo poo storing all your crafts in benches was a pain in the rear end. I had a quad tab full of benches with good crafts stored by the end of the league.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah the micromanagement and busywork was obnoxious, but the deterministic crafting was everything I ever wanted from PoE. Like I would be fine with grinding for a solid month to make one ideal rare item for my build, I just wish that kind of precision crafting capability was still in the game in some form. The Harvest nerfs this league reinforced GGG's stance that deterministic crafting is a great evil no matter what the cost, and players are somehow better served by lottery and prayers. That stance is by far my least favorite part of GGG's vision, I don't really give a poo poo if currency or uniques are slightly more or less common drops.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dropbear posted:

Haven't played for a couple of leagues so I've missed a lot of changes, but why are people so outraged over archnemesis?

So far they've seemed alright. Maybe overtuned regarding their sturdiness at times, but normal rares largely felt like nothingburgers where you don't even read their mods since they explode instantly anyway; I can understand the devs wanting to make enemies that actually get to do something.

The reviewbombers would've ruptured some blood vessels with early PoE when stuff like corrupted blood was first introduced.

I think the outrage this game gets is half addicted players who've burned out but don't know how to quit finding the dopamine they're looking for by getting angry online and half is that GGG actually has made some dumb decisions lately that make a game that already asks a lot from its players even more frustrating. I think focusing a lot of their time and effort on poe2 has pretty clearly set this game back, especially if some of the less popular changes have been to put the games in alignment like a lot of people seem to think, so it'll be really interesting when poe2 finally comes out to see if it was worth it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah the micromanagement and busywork was obnoxious, but the deterministic crafting was everything I ever wanted from PoE. Like I would be fine with grinding for a solid month to make one ideal rare item for my build, I just wish that kind of precision crafting capability was still in the game in some form. The Harvest nerfs this league reinforced GGG's stance that deterministic crafting is a great evil no matter what the cost, and players are somehow better served by lottery and prayers. That stance is by far my least favorite part of GGG's vision, I don't really give a poo poo if currency or uniques are slightly more or less common drops.

it's part of their general weird stance to balance the game as if it were competitive

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

it's part of their general weird stance to balance the game as if it were competitive

Actual competitive games abhor RNG slot machine poo poo for the most part, so that's pretty rear end backwards.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think the outrage this game gets is half addicted players who've burned out but don't know how to quit finding the dopamine they're looking for by getting angry online and half is that GGG actually has made some dumb decisions lately that make a game that already asks a lot from its players even more frustrating. I think focusing a lot of their time and effort on poe2 has pretty clearly set this game back, especially if some of the less popular changes have been to put the games in alignment like a lot of people seem to think, so it'll be really interesting when poe2 finally comes out to see if it was worth it.

PoE 2 has also been hanging over everyone’s heads like a weird sword of Damocles where instead of killing you it just tells you to keep waiting. It’s been a reason for all of the ills without also being a cure for years now.

They almost certainly announced it about a year too early, if not more, and given the direction the game has been going, it’s pretty easy to lose faith in poe 2 at this point.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Goons, what kind of Stacked Deck Enjoyer are you?

A) Open them and put them in your inventory, carefully inspecting each one
B) Open them and throw them on the ground to hear the sweet dopamine of your loot filter
C) Sell them like a loving loser

Edit: Personally I go into the Menagerie and throw them on the bonfire

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 1, 2022

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Click delve, throw them all on the ground and leave because I get nothing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mentat Radnor posted:

Actual competitive games abhor RNG slot machine poo poo for the most part, so that's pretty rear end backwards.

tell it to Chris Wolcen lol. he pulls a lot of inspiration from MTG for some reason which is funny because other than the inherent randomness of deck draws afaik absolutely nobody does things like buy boosters to get new cards. they just buy the card

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

B) Open them and throw them on the ground to hear the sweet dopamine of your loot filter

a because i rarely remember to step into delve or a map to do b, and even when I do i pick them all up anyway. i like div cards, they might be my favorite thing in the game tbh

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 1, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Edit: Personally I go into the Menagerie and throw them on the bonfire

D) Mass open and throw into inventory, then go and refresh exilence next

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I read the text on the card, examine the art, and consider it’s place in the Lore.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

I read the text on the card, examine the art, and consider it’s place in the Lore.

Thank you for respecting the content

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

PoE 2 has also been hanging over everyone’s heads like a weird sword of Damocles where instead of killing you it just tells you to keep waiting. It’s been a reason for all of the ills without also being a cure for years now.

They almost certainly announced it about a year too early, if not more, and given the direction the game has been going, it’s pretty easy to lose faith in poe 2 at this point.

It does feel like it was announced too early, especially because even the expected release of late 2023/early 2024 could still slip, though I will say that I always have this feeling that it was announced longer ago than it actually was.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 1, 2022

J
Jun 10, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

D) Mass open and throw into inventory, then go and refresh exilence next

Mass open and ctrl click them too quickly into the stash while barely reading them then eventually sometime way later glance at exilence next telling me hey dumbass some of these are worth a little bit you should sell them

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

also sentinel is not the most rewarding mechanic ever lmfao. maybe if you slammed two amazing items together into one godtier item like idk a inc global defences hunter crit/curse chest that also has 1k base es or some poo poo. the most rewarding mechanic ever is heist, unquestionably, and it kind of still is. the most rewarding in-map one was probably legion or delerium. a couple free extra chaos or stacked decks is not even close

Do you actually think Sentinel rewards were, erm, "a couple free extra chaos or stacked decks"? Because that's just factually incorrect. Sentinel is easily in the top few most rewarding league mechanics.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

One reason I'm mad about Sentinel not being in the game is that it seemed like such a natural fit to replace the outdated-as-gently caress Torment.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pork never goes bad posted:

Do you actually think Sentinel rewards were, erm, "a couple free extra chaos or stacked decks"? Because that's just factually incorrect. Sentinel is easily in the top few most rewarding league mechanics.

some of us dropped literally 3 currency sentinels ever and had to make do with random garbage

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

some of us dropped literally 3 currency sentinels ever and had to make do with random garbage

You sure have a lot of opinions for someone who clearly doesn't play the game all that much

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You sure have a lot of opinions for someone who clearly doesn't play the game all that much

lol.

quote:

3.19.0g Patch Notes

• This patch contains changes to the Storm Strider Archnemesis modifier, the ability to see completed tiles in the Lake of Kalandra, improvements to Spark and Lightning Strike projectiles, as well as bug fixes of both small- and medium-importance.

Improvements

• Lightning Mirages spawned by monsters with the Storm Strider modifier now spawn a short distance away from the player, instead of right on top of them. Monsters with this modifier now have a 2 second global cooldown for Triggering a Lightning Mirage when Hit (previously 0.75 second), and Lightning Mirages now have a 1 second cooldown until they can use their explosive skill (previously 2 seconds).
• Reduced the terrain collision size of Spark and Lightning Strike projectiles by 50%. This also fixes a longstanding bug where Spark projectiles sometimes weren't created if cast up against a wall.
• Completed tiles in the Lake of Kalandra are now faded out when displayed on the Lake Map.
• Lore objects in the Lake of Kalandra will now appear in order, with a random lore object appearing if you have already seen them all.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a bug which caused the damage dealt by Galvanic Field to not scale with shock effect.
• Fixed a bug where Ghost Reaver could apply 50% less Recharge Rate to Life when allocated in combination with Eternal Youth.
• Fixed a bug where Tentacles in The Uber Eater of Worlds Boss Fight could sometimes be invisible or deal delayed damage.
• Fixed a bug where Rare Monsters with the Mirror Image modifier could sometimes become untargetable.
• Fixed a bug where packs of Harbinger Monsters would not spawn when your Traps, Mines, Totems, or Minions killed an enemy in Maps with Kirac's Memory of Survivor's Guilt.
• Fixed a bug where Kirac could offer Maps not currently found on the Atlas as a Mission.
• Fixed a bug where it was possible to corrupt Maps into others not found on the Atlas, such as Shaper Guardian Maps.
• Fixed a bug where players were able to display segments of the Kalandra Challenge Trophy they had not yet unlocked.
• Fixed a bug where Remove-only Stash Tabs could still display with the "Hide Remove-only Tabs" option selected after changing areas.
• Fixed a bug where summoned microtransaction pets would not update their movement speed to match increases or reductions to your movement speed.
• Fixed a bug where the Recombinator User Interface was not functional in Controller input mode.
• Fixed a client crash that could occur when moving a Stash Tab into a Stash Folder in Controller input mode.
• Fixed a rare client crash.

new patch dropped. sadly they fixed the off atlas kirac stuff which was funny. also i guess the mirage changes are good but i don't like them exploding faster. at least there will be less of them i suppose

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Same post but about u

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

Sounds like you were very bad at figuring out sentinel. I'm a terrible player, absolute garbage at farming currency, and even I was being showered in loot that league.

Were you not using your dried up currency sentinels to combine with others to try and hit currency again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

quote:

Fixed a bug which caused the damage dealt by Galvanic Field to not scale with shock effect.

Lmao that explains the struggle that guy had when making the build