Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im from new england so i might say hi to one of the new neighbors in like 2-3 years

spot loving on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

carticket posted:

We don't really get disasters in my area, so I plan to be as unprepared as possible for when something does happen.

This is...not a good perspective.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Ah another poster who lives on the beach in Florida which will be fine

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

We don't really get disasters in my area, so I plan to be as unprepared as possible for when something does happen.

Without irony, it's not a bad plan. The government will bail you out if you are rich enough.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh word? Lol

That's the joke.

daslog posted:

Without irony, it's not a bad plan. The government will bail you out if you are rich enough.

If I'm flooded, we've got some bad problems 'round here, and a lot of people with a lot more money than me will be much further underwater.

I just don't get what the neighbors are going to do for me in any plausible scenario here.

E: you're around here. Just curious what you think the most plausible natural disaster would be in this area. Would a bad winter storm count? Out-of-the-ordinary for the area, but maybe hurricane?

carticket fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 31, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Upgrade posted:

Ah another poster who lives on the beach in Florida which will be fine

Unless their neighbor happens to live in a house boat I suspect they'll both be in the same... boat when the tide rises and theirs does not float

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We introduce ourselves and bring a card with our contact info and a box of chocolates. In return we got a free stroller from one neighbor and dinner brought over from another when my wife delivered.

:toot:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

carticket posted:

That's the joke.

If I'm flooded, we've got some bad problems 'round here, and a lot of people with a lot more money than me will be much further underwater.

I just don't get what the neighbors are going to do for me in any plausible scenario here.

E: you're around here. Just curious what you think the most plausible natural disaster would be in this area. Would a bad winter storm count? Out-of-the-ordinary for the area, but maybe hurricane?

Pretty much anywhere within a few hundred miles of the East or Gulf coasts can eat a Cat 4 on a bad bad day

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nowhere on Earth is safe from a meteor strike. OK, so any given point on earth is incredibly unlikely to get hit, but it's not impossible. Just unlikely.

Get to know your neighbors, and tell them you'd like to make sure you're ready to mutually aid one another in case of a meteor.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

slurm posted:

Pretty much anywhere within a few hundred miles of the East or Gulf coasts can eat a Cat 4 on a bad bad day

I'm not going to say it's impossible, because I'm sure the probability gets more and more likely every year, but few hurricanes stay hurricanes this far inland in New England. In my lifetime only two have even made landfall in New England as hurricanes. That's not to say a tropical storm or tropical depression can't do plenty of damage (see: Irene).

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Residency Evil posted:

We introduce ourselves and bring a card with our contact info and a box of chocolates. In return we got a free stroller from one neighbor and dinner brought over from another when my wife delivered.

:toot:

What kind of box of chocolates do you choose out of curiosity? I've started giving out chocolate bars from Aldi as the easiest gifts ever.

I live in a condo and liked to go around knocking on the shared-walls folks' doors primarily because I listen to music on speakers from time to time, so I wanted to encourage them to let me know if they could ever hear it or if it was bothering them. Several units had no one home though :shrug:

I'd probably do the door knock thing if I lived in a SFH with visible neighbors, just to introduce myself. Seems a bit less awkward than lingering outside, but either way is fine.

I can't even think of many other tangible literal benefits to doing so, it just seems like a nice human thing to know who is on either side... but if you aren't interested in doing so I don't see any problem with that either.

I am extremely lucky none of my shared-wall neighbors are frat bros or another noisy archetype, they're all very boring quiet people which loving rocks. Hopefully none of them move or die while I'm here!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 31, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

carticket posted:

I'm not going to say it's impossible, because I'm sure the probability gets more and more likely every year, but few hurricanes stay hurricanes this far inland in New England. In my lifetime only two have even made landfall in New England as hurricanes. That's not to say a tropical storm or tropical depression can't do plenty of damage (see: Irene).

https://www.telegram.com/story/opinion/2020/11/23/could-earthquake-really-rock-new-england-we-265-years-overdue/6336254002/

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, are you saying I should have elected an earthquake insurance rider (that didn't actually cover replacement value of the home)?

I'm still wondering what my neighbors would be doing for me? Whatever I'm dealing with, they'll be dealing with, too. I have lots of family around, and so don't consider the neighbors part of my support system.

E: I think the most likely disaster is another gender reveal party using tannerite.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think you're a super goony goon who is afraid to talk to people in real life and this derail has nothing to do with buying houses.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Motronic posted:

I think you're a super goony goon who is afraid to talk to people in real life and this derail has nothing to do with buying houses.

I can't deny any of that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I bought a fixer upper in late 2019 and didn't even live in it until mid-November. I live in Michigan and winter was in full swing at that point so I printed out little cards with my name, email, and phone number to hand out to my immediate neighbors, with the plan of knocking on doors in the spring. Early March 2020 and welp now I'm working from home and staying away from humanity and figured nobody would want a stranger knocking on their door.

Two and a half years later and I still have never talked to the male half of the couple that lives to the right of me, he seems to actively avoid eye contact anytime we're both in our yards. It's way too late now to knock on their front door and introduce myself so I guess we're just stuck in this weird limbo forever. Luckily they are very quiet and stick to themselves and the wife gives me a friendly wave every now and then. Not the worst neighbors to have I guess

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Inner Light posted:

What kind of box of chocolates do you choose out of curiosity? I've started giving out chocolate bars from Aldi as the easiest gifts ever.

I think last time my wife bought a bunch of those Godiva holiday samplers? We closed in December.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I always was on good terms with most neighbors, in the few places I lived but that kind of happened naturally. So I guess box of chocolates it is to speed up the process.

My aunt once bought an apartment in one of the rougher and rather poor parts of a big city. It was in Europe so no gun fights but enough of bad things without that. On the first day she bought a crate of vodka, approached a group of rough looking local youth and said that that’s her apartment, her car and she’d love to meet them. She had zero issues for the last 20 years there, not even a car scratch or losing a mirror while other neighbors had constant problems, break-ins, etc.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 31, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The article is a bit sensationalist; even the 1755 earthquake was an aftershock from the big loving Lisbon earthquake. The region is pretty seismically stable.

You should be more worried about winter storms and hurricanes here.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Two and a half years later and I still have never talked to the male half of the couple that lives to the right of me, he seems to actively avoid eye contact anytime we're both in our yards.

Which one of you goons lives next to Sirotan?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The article is a bit sensationalist; even the 1755 earthquake was an aftershock from the big loving Lisbon earthquake. The region is pretty seismically stable.

You should be more worried about winter storms and hurricanes here.

Yeah it was not posted in strong seriousness or anything. I studied a fair bit of geology in school and so I am aware that earthquakes are a global and universal phenomenon, while many people seem to think "earthquakes don't happen here", but they are extremely rare in that part of the country and not really a thing people living there should spend much time worrying about.

The notion that no sort of disaster could ever befall in which a person might benefit from knowing their neighbors is laughable though. The whole of human history suggests that our tendency today in this weird modern western culture to live in communities but not know the people living next to us is a weird aberration and I can't help but think it's super stupid and counterproductive, and handling the immediate problems of a significant natural disaster is just one example. Someday I may survive when I otherwise might have died because my next door neighbor knows how many people live in my house and when we're usually home or not and decides to tell that to a rescue crew evaluating the collapsed houses in my neighborhood (from a quake or a hurricane or a derecho, whatever) to figure out which ones may still have buried live people in them.

Or much less alarmingly, maybe my neighbor will help my property values when I go to sell my house by cleaning up their yard solely because they like me and saw the for sale sign and no other reason. Or maybe at even the most basic level, both I and they will be happier, less worried, more fulfilled, more secure in our thoughts and feelings because we know that our neighbors are part of our in-group socially. Maybe we'll be more likely to cooperate to our mutual benefit in any number of ways because we're part of Team This Neighborhood instead of basically living next to strangers.

We've adapted over tens of millions of years to living in social groups. We should lean into that instead of fighting it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am 100% in agreement

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's also never too late to break a "we don't say hi but see each other every day" standoff. It will be awkward but that's often over quickly. Initiate. Ask for or offer help. If the awkwardness or delay gets acknowledged, I go with "sorry, I can get really shy and get all twisted up about it." I struggle with it, too: small talk is mentally exhausting and nobody wants to have to do it all the time. I see it as part of the job of maintaining a home.

+1 Being cool with neighbors is the #1 most effective disaster preparatory step you can take. They're the nearest extra pair of hands available, so I want them on my side.

I close tomorrow. They have my money. I feel awful.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I like talking to neighbors for no reason except that talking to human beings IRL is kinda fun sometimes and reminds me that I'm alive. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Talking to the old people in my neighborhood is a terrible experience because their age makes me think about how I'm going to die some day

Talking to the young people in my neighborhood is a terrible experience because their age makes me think about how I'm going to die some day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just be sure that your neighbors includes two people that you consider...

1. Anti-social shut-in who won't even make eye contact with you, and
2. Overly outgoing person that you have to sneak past because they'll talk your ear off

Because if you don't have both of those, you are one of them

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

one good tip I learned when trying to meet neighbors: everyone likes fan fiction involving the neighborhood

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Upgrade posted:

one good tip I learned when trying to meet neighbors: everyone likes fan fiction involving the neighborhood

"Ethel put on her robe and wizard hat..."

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sundae posted:

"Ethel put on her robe and wizard hat..."

I had spent a few months recording my neighbors in detail to develop a really good strategy for each of them based on their habits, like, interests, and sexual proclivities. It really helped me overcome my gooniness.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Serious talk about bad neighbors, though... I used to rent a 2BR in Burlingame CA, which ain't cheap at all but was subsidized by my company for a while. While out walking my daughter in her stroller, I waved and said hi to a woman going the other way with her infant.

Her response to the wave/hi: "Are you a renter? I don't talk to renters."

:wtc:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'm in a group chat with the neighbors and invited people out tonight to see the moon through the library telescope we have out. One of our neighbors started talking about the moon is hollow and I just laughed and asked if that's from a TV show. No, he was serious. I looked it up, the hollow moon theory brought to you by the same guy who does the lizard people conspiracy. Lolol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh welp; when I was using "the lizard king" as a write-in candidate for local mayor as a protest vote, didn't realize that was actually tied back to a specific conspiracy theorist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sundae posted:

My wife’s first cousin once removed lives a couple blocks down the street from us and constantly complains that renters are ruining the neighborhood. We have to remind her on a regular basis that we are the filthy renters she is talking about. “Oh but you’re not like those ones”

Fortunately as far as I can tell it is not a race thing, she’s just convinced that renters don’t care about the neighborhood. they’re choosing to pay a premium to live in this neighborhood. Who would do that if they didn’t care about the place?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sundae posted:

Tell me you're a SFBA NIMBY Karen without telling me...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My wife’s first cousin once removed lives a couple blocks down the street from us and constantly complains that renters are ruining the neighborhood. We have to remind her on a regular basis that we are the filthy renters she is talking about. “Oh but you’re not like those ones”

Fortunately as far as I can tell it is not a race thing, she’s just convinced that renters don’t care about the neighborhood. they’re choosing to pay a premium to live in this neighborhood. Who would do that if they didn’t care about the place?

This attitude, lovely as it may be, does come from somewhere.

I have lived in a place where everyone lived there forever, someone moved out and turned their house into a rental and we absolutely got a string of "those renters". Unkind to paint everyone with that brush, but it's absolutely a thing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

This attitude, lovely as it may be, does come from somewhere.

I have lived in a place where everyone lived there forever, someone moved out and turned their house into a rental and we absolutely got a string of "those renters". Unkind to paint everyone with that brush, but it's absolutely a thing.

Unfortunately, having a lot of renters usually means lots of residents who are not invested in the neighborhood and are usually lower income. That means lower property values, so a home buyer should try to avoid those areas to maximize the value of the house.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I definitely take better care of houses I own than houses I rent.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If rentals are poorly maintained it's not like the owner isn't responsible

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

daslog posted:

Unfortunately, having a lot of renters usually means lots of residents who are not invested in the neighborhood and are usually lower income. That means lower property values, so a home buyer should try to avoid those areas to maximize the value of the house.

I can assure you that is not what is happening in this neighborhood.

Dik Hz posted:

I definitely take better care of houses I own than houses I rent.

While this is true there is no way in this particular neighborhood that you can look at a specific house and tell if it is owned or rented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh it's even dumber than that. Here's an approximate map link to the area: https://goo.gl/maps/fFKNuHz4Ta6YgM3B6

Those are all rentals. The lady's walking through a rental-zoned neighborhood of apartment buildings that borders the downtown core, and is horrified to be said 'hi' to by a renter.