Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

Also this is a great way to rid THIS planet of Muskovites and chuds. Trips to Mars, baby! Mars influencers sign right here and get on board.

seriously let these rich dumbasses leave the planet and die on some rock, i really hope elon goes too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

tyrelhill posted:

seriously let these rich dumbasses leave the planet and die on some rock, i really hope elon goes too

Musk would never actually go to Mars even if a proper colony with a high population was set up

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt Musk suppose to reveal his totes legit robots this month/sept?

Wheres the totes legit robots?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

a7m2 posted:

Musk would never actually go to Mars even if a proper colony with a high population was set up

Earth is where all his children are though

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

chaosbreather posted:

Earth is where all his children are though

All the more reason for him to leave

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

In order to board the ship to Mars, you must let Elon impregnate you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok though, the radiation exposure during the trip will probably terminate it and sterilise you.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

goatface posted:

It's ok though, the radiation exposure during the trip will probably terminate it and sterilise you.

I knew about the radiation exposure during the trip to mars, but I didn't realize that on the surface of Mars there's still a significant amount of radiation since the atmosphere is thin. According to this conference proceeding the radiation exposure is like 50 times or more the typical Earth background levels and you'd need something like 25 feet of rock above you to get down to Earth-like levels.

So yeah glass habitats on Mars are going to be like grow a few plants but don't build a city there.

Hope they bring a lot of oncologists.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goatface posted:

We need to send Elon there as soon as possible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Get that rear end to Mars!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What the hell would a million people be doing on Mars, anyway? (dying lol) I think human space exploration is cool and all, but has anyone come up with anything to do on Mars that takes a massive permanent population?

also lol@ terraforming Mars. As an atheist I can confidently say that the best chance humanity has of terraforming Mars in a timeframe where anyone currently alive would even begin to see it is to pray to god to do it for us. Or pray to Ashtar Sheran, I suppose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Theoretically, those people would all be employed preparing the habitats for the people who would come after them. You'd need more living space, food, water, oxygen etc. so you would have them working on that. Some fraction of the people would be doing the jobs you need to support those people and keep a society functioning. You'd really barely have got there, so they would also be just starting out setting up enough of an industrial base to keep a population alive long term in an environment that is in no way suitable for humans. Can't rely on deliveries from Earth.

There will not be enough of a society to support luxury.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

What the hell would a million people be doing on Mars, anyway? (dying lol) I think human space exploration is cool and all, but has anyone come up with anything to do on Mars that takes a massive permanent population?

also lol@ terraforming Mars. As an atheist I can confidently say that the best chance humanity has of terraforming Mars in a timeframe where anyone currently alive would even begin to see it is to pray to god to do it for us. Or pray to Ashtar Sheran, I suppose.

Making Humanity A Multiplanetary Species

they're not thinking about any actual use for living on Mars at all, they just think that it's very important that humanity have permanent settlements in space

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

goatface posted:

Theoretically, those people would all be employed preparing the habitats for the people who would come after them. You'd need more living space, food, water, oxygen etc. so you would have them working on that. Some fraction of the people would be doing the jobs you need to support those people and keep a society functioning. You'd really barely have got there, so they would also be just starting out setting up enough of an industrial base to keep a population alive long term in an environment that is in no way suitable for humans. Can't rely on deliveries from Earth.

I mentioned this in a pyf video games thread but it would definitely end up like rapture with an opulent wealthy class and an effective slave class who were conned into coming, then eventually eat itself in revolution

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Musk and muskrats get their idea of supa science from marvel movies and a adult swim cartoon.

also they do poo poo like using their Tesla or super yachts 's satellite internet/5G to binge watch THING

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
There's a whole no-poo poo capital C Cult called "longtermism" and it proposes that current injustices are completely trivial compared to the trillions of lives that will one day exist and the joy those lives will experience, and therefore we should not put any resources into helping actual people and should instead focus on making sure those trillions of lives come into existence. One of their big things is Earth getting wiped out by a meteor or whatnot, and therefore having a safe haven somewhere else is super important to their mission.

This cult has its hooks in basically all of the current tech moron billionaires, including Musk. It's why they are so focused on virtual lives, virtual spaces, AI, and getting offworld. Virtual lives allow for utilitarian joymaxxing in a way real people are inconvenient for.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

goatface posted:

Sounds like you’ve never seen the documentary “Total Recall.”

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

they're not thinking about any actual use for living on Mars at all, they just think that it's very important that humanity have permanent settlements in space

It's just colonialism 2: empire harder with a dash of 'oh gently caress, we hosed the planet'.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Somfin posted:

There's a whole no-poo poo capital C Cult called "longtermism" and it proposes that current injustices are completely trivial compared to the trillions of lives that will one day exist and the joy those lives will experience, and therefore we should not put any resources into helping actual people and should instead focus on making sure those trillions of lives come into existence. One of their big things is Earth getting wiped out by a meteor or whatnot, and therefore having a safe haven somewhere else is super important to their mission.

This cult has its hooks in basically all of the current tech moron billionaires, including Musk. It's why they are so focused on virtual lives, virtual spaces, AI, and getting offworld. Virtual lives allow for utilitarian joymaxxing in a way real people are inconvenient for.

this is just Rocko's Basilisk. aka extrememly stuipd poo poo / techbros re inventing the wheel/religion but dumber.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

this is just Rocko's Basilisk. aka extrememly stuipd poo poo / techbros re inventing the wheel/religion but dumber.

Yudkowsky is a longtermist, as are most of the people funding him

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

it's also a convenient excuse to not help anyone now

it ties into the "effective altruism" movement, which asserts that it's actually good for humanity to increase your own personal wealth by hurting people and destroying the planet, because having more money means you'll be able to donate more to charity later, so becoming a billionaire at all costs is actually the most altruistic thing possible because you'll be able to leave a lot of money to charity on your deathbed

unsurprisingly, it's a popular movement among libertarian tech millionaires. and in general these startup types love to subject the idea of "helping people" to a bunch of dumb min-maxing and micromanagement so they can get the altruism high score

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think the elon cult has put basically any thought into it but Mars is potentially a better base for spaceship manufacturing than earth is for gravity well reasons. I've seen arguments that it'd be just BARELY possible to construct a space elevator with our current construction materials.

Of course, this all PRESUPPOSES heavy spaceship demand which is kinda putting the cart before the horse.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

PITY BONER posted:

as a product of semi-underground living.

As a product of semi-underground living, how do you deal with the moles?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pretty sure longtermists are the baddies in Quantum Thief, with the added techbro bonus that the trillions of people in paradise will be in a :redflag:simulation :redflag:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Main Paineframe posted:

it's also a convenient excuse to not help anyone now

it ties into the "effective altruism" movement, which asserts that it's actually good for humanity to increase your own personal wealth by hurting people and destroying the planet, because having more money means you'll be able to donate more to charity later, so becoming a billionaire at all costs is actually the most altruistic thing possible because you'll be able to leave a lot of money to charity on your deathbed

unsurprisingly, it's a popular movement among libertarian tech millionaires. and in general these startup types love to subject the idea of "helping people" to a bunch of dumb min-maxing and micromanagement so they can get the altruism high score

Sounds like a secularization of the prosperity gospel

Imagine thinking that the bandaid of charity could ever repair, let alone go beyond fixing the gaping wounds billionaires and global capitalism have inflicted on the world. It's like Omelas, except over half the world is the orphan and like a small fraction of a percent gets to live in the alleged utilitarian utopia

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well that makes sense, prosperity gospel was just a rationalization added to the dominant morality. With its popularity waning you don’t want that perfectly good rationalization going away

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Main Paineframe posted:

No, effective altruist movement doesn't say that, they just say to do real measurements and statistics on charity and development aid so you know if you had good results. It's not a terrible thing. Ideally if you help people you actually improve their lives -- and there are *lots* of cases where 1st world development aid had zero positive effect or negative effects. Core of EA was started by academics with good values like actually listening to the poor 3rd world people because maybe they're smarter than you about how their world works.

It's popular among the rationalist community, and that's the overlap with libertarian techbros, and then you get the 'rationalist' libertarians who are really just Objectivists but don't want to be associated with Rand anymore.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mr. Lobe posted:

Sounds like a secularization of the prosperity gospel

Which in turn is just a modernization of Calvinism. All of these "Good people are allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want and everyone else can eat poo poo and die because they're evil" belief systems stem back to Calvinism, it's simply a matter of what constitutes Good and Evil in the current cultural zeitgeist.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

So settling millions of people on what might as well be hell just to do it. Sounds like how I play Dwarf Fortress.

Somfin posted:

If something happens that renders Earth less livable than Mars before some sort of massive, unforeseen scientific breakthrough (don't hold your breath) humanity is just dead. I guess these people think we have sufficiently advanced technology.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 4, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

As if he wouldn't be the only man with lead underpants the entire trip, to make sure he is the one virile man on Mars.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Terraforming Mars in the ultimate goal for these people which shows just how much they think about basic poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Klyith posted:

No, effective altruist movement doesn't say that, they just say to do real measurements and statistics on charity and development aid so you know if you had good results. It's not a terrible thing. Ideally if you help people you actually improve their lives -- and there are *lots* of cases where 1st world development aid had zero positive effect or negative effects. Core of EA was started by academics with good values like actually listening to the poor 3rd world people because maybe they're smarter than you about how their world works.

It's popular among the rationalist community, and that's the overlap with libertarian techbros, and then you get the 'rationalist' libertarians who are really just Objectivists but don't want to be associated with Rand anymore.

The president and founder of the Center for Effective Altruism openly advocates that people pursue high-earning careers, claiming that that rather than working for a nonprofit and helping people themselves, they can do more net good by taking a $200k banker job and donating half their income to charity.

At its core, the effective altruism movement is about evaluating things for efficiency and return rate to ensure that the most people are helped by the least money. While it sounds nice in theory, that kind of technocratic min-maxing mentality feeds very easily into classism in many ways, which is why effective altruism is popular among rich techbro types - it's fundamentally very appealing to wealthy libertarian ideology. Technocracy and classism are often deeply intertwined, after all. While the original academics who sowed the seeds of the idea may not necessarily have intended that, the movement relies on some unspoken assumptions which lead to pretty crappy places, such as longtermism (another direct offshoot of effective altruism).

For example, even the basic idea of "let's measure the impact of our charity so we know if it's actually doing anything" comes with an implicit assumption that the actual charity organizations, full of people who've spent their lives working on the ground and seeing these situations firsthand, don't know what they're doing and need to be instructed by people with clipboards and advanced degrees. It's a theory that boils down to academic and economic elites and imposing their will on programs to maximize return on investment. In practice, it becomes an excuse for billionaires like Bill Gates to personally micromanage charity programs because as people who made a lot of money in tech, they know way more about how to run a charity program than dedicated anti-poverty organizations do.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Terraforming Mars in the ultimate goal for these people which shows just how much they think about basic poo poo.

the irony is if musk or other techbros were chucked into a timehole to the past , into the critical birth points of APRAnet, they would probably kill it in the cradle. same for very birth of computer science or fields of maths that helped birth CS.

techbros have the same ignorant anti intellectualism cocktail as Fox News and their hate for "shrimp on a treadmill" or some other pure research.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to push toward making humanity a multi world species

but we can do both things

So many stripes of political isms seen to ignore that fact

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

they're not thinking about any actual use for living on Mars at all

Laws. Freed from the shackles of earth law, the intellectual elite on Mars will finally unleash its creative spirit and produce very valuable intellectual property that they will trade for imports from earth like biomass and high end manufactured goods. One jpeg of a dog for 500kg of fertile topsoil and $50000 worth of integrated circuit. You won't find a better deal in the entire solar system

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!
It sounds a bit like a tech bro going "we are going to disrupt the library industry", then lobbying to get all the real libraries that the public can freely access closed before increasing the cost of access so the dirty poors can't get in.

Just replace library with any free public service.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Yudkowsky angle on the whole thing, and the bit where longtermism switches gears from a technocratic analysis tool to a cult, is that longtermism has embraced the idea of virtual lives that do not yet exist as being as valuable as actual human lives that exist right now.

Also yes obviously if something makes Earth as uninhabitable as Mars we're totally hosed; longtermism sees Mars as just a stepping stone / backup plan to achieve the real goal of, basically, a Dyson sphere simulating near infinite AI "lives" in a perpetual metaverse. It's the delusional Yudkowsky trick of making one of the numbers in your equation approach infinity so that everything else either keeps up or drops to zero.

Save that family from a flood caused by climate change? What's that, four, five lives? Instead, you should invest that money into getting us to the AI metaverse so that it saves a fraction of infinity lives! A fraction of infinity is still infinity so your impact is almost infinitely more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kdrudy posted:

As if he wouldn't be the only man with lead underpants the entire trip, to make sure he is the one virile man on Mars.

Who said we'd send any women with him?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Who said we'd send any women with him?

Welp. Now ol' Musky will be forever linked in my mind to Arnold J. Rimmer B.S.C., S.S.C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

The Yudkowsky angle on the whole thing, and the bit where longtermism switches gears from a technocratic analysis tool to a cult, is that longtermism has embraced the idea of virtual lives that do not yet exist as being as valuable as actual human lives that exist right now.

This is because virtual lives in a simulation can be programmed to worship the tech bros as gods while real humans can't. It all comes back to achieving godhood so they can finally become the main characters of reality like their ego says they are.