Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Probably not. I doubt any socks with non-skid on the bottom would be very comfortable even if you were able to do it.

Don't listen to him. If Flint Lockwood can do it, you can too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

crime fighting hog posted:

Masticated by Gears would be sick band name for real

e: what's the OSHA related term for when someone is blown to pieces by something like rapid decompression like that diving team in a bubble chamber or something? I'm struggling to remember. It's like when a body is completely reduced to gibbets.

Something like 'injury incompatible with life'?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Whooping Crabs posted:

cut my life into pieces, this is my last airport

Suffocation, no breathing (no seriously, I ca-)
Don't give a gently caress if my arm flys to Darjeeling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Queadlunn posted:

Yeah that was going to be my suggestion

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol I learned that vocab word from the water park raft accident where the raft somehow flipped upsidedown and the underwater conveyor belt did "'injuries incompatible with life" stuff

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Queadlunn posted:

One of the more gruesome terms I have seen is "traumatic amputation ".

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Idk if this is thread appropriate content. "What to do if your lawn mower doesn't start"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPhRKkdCFTk

Ah, I see the problem, he let the engine out of the lawn mower

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Just catching up on my crossword certifications

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have seen other, less fortunate accidents from other chinese elevators

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's one of few videos that gets a legit gasp out of me every time I see it.

Don't they say never to enter or exit an elevator if it's even slightly misaligned with the floor? I think I've heard that somewhere.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

It's stories like this that give me pause every time I get on an escalator or anything driven by big gears and chains like that. I'm suddenly reminded of that horrific story of a whole family that were killed while riding a whitewater rapids thing at some theme park. IIRC, their inner tube flipped over above one of the escalating devices, and the article used the phrase "masticated by the gears," which sticks with me.

This was at Dreamworld in Australia.
The report also used the phrase "injuries incompatible with life" iirc

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mobby_6kl posted:

Even the cow tipping jobs are being automated away

https://i.imgur.com/GITKxfM.mp4

Fun fact!
This was invented by Temple Grandin, an important veterinary scientist. She's autistic and has written a lot about autism, and while this device was invented after seeing cows calm down once they're in the loading chute, she's talked about how it works on the same principle as calming autistic or hypersensitive people through mild restraint, squeezing, heavy blankets, etc.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

e: what's the OSHA related term for when someone is blown to pieces by something like rapid decompression like that diving team in a bubble chamber or something? I'm struggling to remember. It's like when a body is completely reduced to gibbets.

Dario'd?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mister Speaker posted:

Don't they say never to enter or exit an elevator if it's even slightly misaligned with the floor? I think I've heard that somewhere.

That's like telling whole parts of the world to never use elevators at all in the first place. Maybe things have gotten better in 20 years, but I doubt it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Fun fact!
This was invented by Temple Grandin, an important veterinary scientist. She's autistic and has written a lot about autism, and while this device was invented after seeing cows calm down once they're in the loading chute, she's talked about how it works on the same principle as calming autistic or hypersensitive people through mild restraint, squeezing, heavy blankets, etc.

So cows are all autistic? That explains why I love them asburgers. :dadjoke:

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

The Byford Dolphin's incident report describes this as "disintegration", "explosive", and "mutilation", but I've also seen "fragmentation". :nms: Byford Dolphin Incident report which includes pictures of the bodies and remains :nms:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Fun fact!

:clint: back in my day you'd need a dozen or more cowpokes just to give the bull a good ol' squeeze

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Whooping Crabs posted:

cut my life into pieces, this is my last airport

That story is horrible, a young woman

This also is a first class groaner perfect post

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

raggedphoto posted:

Another fun flooring fact I just remembered! If you hit a nail while sanding the floor (happened all the time) the spark could make it's way into the dust bag and smolder there for hours before igniting the entire bag of super fine dust. I never saw it first hand but I heard stories of dust bags burning down homes or burning holes through the floor over night because the workers didn't empty it.

I worked for a guy who would get rid of the dust from the bags/vac by putting in it open trashcans in the back of the pickup and drive down the freeway. He was an rear end in a top hat.

I used to do that with leaves.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Moderately morselized.

Homo sapiens de filet

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mister Speaker posted:

It's stories like this that give me pause every time I get on an escalator or anything driven by big gears and chains like that. I'm suddenly reminded of that horrific story of a whole family that were killed while riding a whitewater rapids thing at some theme park. IIRC, their inner tube flipped over above one of the escalating devices, and the article used the phrase "masticated by the gears," which sticks with me.

EoinCannon posted:

This was at Dreamworld in Australia.
The report also used the phrase "injuries incompatible with life" iirc

There were six people on board, four adults and two children. The kids got to watch all four adults get mulched by the conveyor before the ride was finally shut down and they were able to escape.

And of course, it was entirely preventable:

quote:

Previous safety audits revealed a water level safety sensor which could have prevented the accident would have cost less than $3,000.

The company also failed to provide information, training, instruction or supervision necessary to protect people from risk.

The pump malfunction was the third that day and the fifth in a week, and no automated shutdown function was installed despite recommendations.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/28/dreamworld-owner-fined-thunder-river-rapids-disaster

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Having worked at multiple airports in various locations, Im honestly shocked there arent more people gettin mangled on the deck at every airport due to takin safety shortcuts.
I got to see the uncensored accident safety films, they go hard.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Jisae posted:

The Byford Dolphin's incident report describes this as "disintegration", "explosive", and "mutilation", but I've also seen "fragmentation". :nms: Byford Dolphin Incident report which includes pictures of the bodies and remains :nms:

Holy loving poo poo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Do not look Byford Dolphin up, you really don't need to read a description of what happens during high pressure events.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

quote:

FIG. 8. The soft tissues of the face of diver 4

This is like something from Dall-e

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jisae posted:

"The remains of diver 4 were sent to us in four plastic bags (Fig. 7)."

"All the thoracic and abdominal organs had been expelled, except the trachea and a fragment of the small bowel (Fig. 9). Even the spinal column (Fig. 10) and most of the ribs had been expelled. The liver had been found somewhere on the deck. It was complete, as if dissected out of the body."

"In the cardiac chambers and in the great vessels around the heart, both arteries and veins, large amounts of free fat were found (Fig. 15). This fat was mixed with gas bubbles, and looked like sizzling butter on a frying pan."

"The fate of diver 4 clearly demonstrates the tremendous force released in an accident like this. He was undoubtedly mutilated when he was shot out through the small opening left by the jammed chamber door. However, the expulsion of all internal organs from the thoracoabdominal 'sack,' including the spinal column and the ribs, suggest that he also must have exploded. Unfortunately, we were not called to the scene. We might have found more organs from this diver."

gnarly

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
OSHA IV: he also must have exploded.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BlackIronHeart posted:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Cows are cute. They also account for something like two thirds of farm workplace injuries and deaths.
Post more cows.
:clint:

Speaking of farms yesterday I was called out to one for a farmer who shut down his tractor to eat dinner, returned about 60 minutes later to service the engine, opened the coolant cap on the radiator and received partial thickness scalds to 25% of his body from the explosion that followed.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 1, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Real Amethyst posted:

Cows are cute. They also account for something like two thirds of farm workplace injuries and deaths.
Post more cows.
:clint:

Speaking of farms yesterday I was called out to one for a farmer who shut down his tractor to eat dinner, returned about 60 minutes later to service the engine, opened the coolant cap on the radiator and received partial thickness scalds to 25% of his body from the explosion that followed.

cows are great!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Scholtz posted:

"All the thoracic and abdominal organs had been expelled, except the trachea and a fragment of the small bowel (Fig. 9). Even the spinal column (Fig. 10) and most of the ribs had been expelled. The liver had been found somewhere on the deck. It was complete, as if dissected out of the body."

"In the cardiac chambers and in the great vessels around the heart, both arteries and veins, large amounts of free fat were found (Fig. 15). This fat was mixed with gas bubbles, and looked like sizzling butter on a frying pan."

"The fate of diver 4 clearly demonstrates the tremendous force released in an accident like this. He was undoubtedly mutilated when he was shot out through the small opening left by the jammed chamber door. However, the expulsion of all internal organs from the thoracoabdominal 'sack,' including the spinal column and the ribs, suggest that he also must have exploded. Unfortunately, we were not called to the scene. We might have found more organs from this diver."

gnarly

A decrease of 1atmo isn’t enough to trigger explosive decompression (like people like to think about when going out to space without a suit on). You’ll be bent to hell and back, sure, but you aren’t popping.

A decrease of ~9atmo in less than a second is enough, though :stonklol:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

This is from the Sandaoling coalmine in China. There are several videos of it but this is the one where the above clip is from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRjBNaknRw

Despite the locomotives being old and replacement parts being hard to find they drive them like they stole them, incredible stuff.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 1, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's a shame he didn't explode and implode at the exact same time, probably woulda been fine.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rhhspllac11w5pr9j.mp4

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

raggedphoto posted:

I worked for a guy who would get rid of the dust from the bags/vac by putting in it open trashcans in the back of the pickup and drive down the freeway. He was an rear end in a top hat.

Seems to be a common way to deal with yard waste, from what I've seen. For instance,

Elendil004 posted:

I used to do that with leaves.

Yeah.

Also, nobody commented on two California highways getting covered in different pasta sauces on the same day?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jisae posted:

this is what happens to me after I eat taco bell

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

erosion posted:

Seems to be a common way to deal with yard waste, from what I've seen. For instance,

Yeah.

Also, nobody commented on two California highways getting covered in different pasta sauces on the same day?

I thought one was in Tennessee.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

erosion posted:

The alfredo sauce spill was in Memphis.

The other was just tomatoes that traffic turned into sauce.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Scholtz posted:

gnarly

I would have hated to be the guy who had to swab the poop deck that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I know it's all done by professionals, but Rammstein puts on a show worthy of this thread.

(not my pic)