Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I watched the season finale of season 1 yesterday. What the gently caress did I watch? Why do shows who waste so much time on character schlock suck so bad at season finales? gently caress. I JUST WANT SUPERHEROES SMASHIN SUPER VILLIANS I DO NOT NEED THE SAME CLICHE STORY REPEATED OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN FLASHBACKS I GET IT GOD DAMNIT JUST STOP STOP NO BEING SELF AWARE THAT YOU'RE DOING IT ISN'T BETTER.

I also watched the first episode of season 2, I think I'm done. Maybe I'll watch a good show again like Cleopatra 2525.

edit: Well a bunch of meta non heroes solving things would also be good but that's kind of the B plot lightly sprinkled in while I want it to be A plot.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
brendan frasier is stuck in a robot and he can't feel boobs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Dude watch Rome again. Rome is so good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kntfkr posted:

I could. It is good. I could give this show Cop Rock a watch instead.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You should watch House, OP.

Not the series, the 80's horror-comedy.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Superhero poo poo always tries to have deep, character driven plots now because it's trying so hard to prove it's not just kiddie poo poo that "normies" will make fun of you for enjoying.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Doom eternal is really good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OP have you considered watching good shows instead of bad ones?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The Japanese AND American ones.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Quick, name three!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

mudskipp posted:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i haven't heard of this "doom patrol." is it like the hit tv show Bones?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

mudskipp posted:

The grappling hook on the super shotgun is the best addition to the franchise

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

They don't tend to be labeled GOOD SHOW so some times bad shows slip through. By sometimes I mean super often because Lost was successful and everything either sucks like Lost or sucks like Game of Thrones (TEEHEE BOOBIES, deaths) sometimes you get shows that do both. I also have watched ton of shows so all the actual good ones I've probably seen maybe even multiple times. There's only so many times you can watch Burn Notice. He likes yogurt.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 30, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you ever watch capadocia? it's mexican ladies' oz

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Doom Patrol has werebutts in it OP. Which are like werewolves but before butts instead of wolves

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chrs posted:

Doom Patrol has werebutts in it OP. Which are like werewolves but before butts instead of wolves

If it had more werebutts and less flashbacks we'd have a show worth watching.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Shows that reveal everything in flashbacks blow

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Shows that reveal everything in flashbacks blow

I blame Lost. gently caress you Lost you poisoned TV.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Community
Community
Community

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Is that like the new doom eternal?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
it was a good comic op, but not a superhero punchman one. I haven't seen the show but yeah it's not what you're looking for if it's at all trying to capture the original's themes

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think Ash vs the evil dead was pretty straight forward and closer to what you're looking for, but yeah I think most of the superhero genre is about deconstruction and meta stuff these days so good luck finding something straight forward
the Arrowverse stuff were fun soap operas back in the day and weren't meta, but they were less about the punching and more melodrama about attractive people and their love lives, but they also put on costumes and punched people as like their day jobs

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Doom Patrol is a show about a disabilities support group, did you really expect expensive violence?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Doom Patrol is a show about a disabilities support group, did you really expect expensive violence?

I just want goddamn flex mentallo, is that too much to ask? A glistening oiled up muscleman using muscle magic to change reality

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

kntfkr posted:

THIRTEEEEEN

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is never bad advice.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Coolness Averted posted:

I just want goddamn flex mentallo, is that too much to ask? A glistening oiled up muscleman using muscle magic to change reality

Why don't you watch the episodes with Flex Mentallo in then?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Unkempt posted:

Why don't you watch the episodes with Flex Mentallo in then?

Oh sweet they actually already got to him? I figured there'd be 2 or 3 seasons before that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idgi just how much character development do you need in a show about demons on Mars? Rip and tear my dude

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh sweet they actually already got to him? I figured there'd be 2 or 3 seasons before that.

They did three seasons.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Telling you the same story over and over again but with slightly different flashbacks is not character development it's tedious garbage. Also the Bureau of Normalcy is a really loving dumb villain.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It sucks that the cop puppy gets to go on pretty much every mission

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Icochet posted:

It sucks that the cop puppy gets to go on pretty much every mission

My wife has been yelling at me for arguing with our 4 year old about how Chase is bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Not the series, the 80's Japanese 70s horror-comedy.

Coolness Averted posted:

it was a good comic op, but not a superhero punchman one. I haven't seen the show but yeah it's not what you're looking for if it's at all trying to capture the original's themes

It pretty well pins down the themes and tone of the comic books, particularly the Grant Morrison run. So yeah not at all for people who just want to see a bunch of action explodey action scenes and poo poo. Although it does have a good amount of action scenes and they are loving wacky (in one episode a whole lot of Nazis get violently destroyed). Don't at all expect something like a Marvel movie or Justice League or whatever. What's cool is it takes a little bit from every era. I'd call it essential viewing to anyone who really likes Doom Patrol comic books.

Flex Mentallo is in it.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 1, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It pretty well pins down the themes and tone of the comic books, particularly the Grant Morrison run. So yeah not at all for people who just want to see a bunch of action explodey action scenes and poo poo. Although it does have a good amount of action scenes and they are loving wacky (in one episode a whole lot of Nazis get violently destroyed). Don't at all expect something like a Marvel movie or Justice League or whatever. What's cool is it takes a little bit from every era. I'd call it essential viewing to anyone who really likes Doom Patrol comic books.

Flex Mentallo is in it.

I've been watching The Umbrella Company and it some how manages not to be repetitive tedious garbage while also not being a punch fest. Weird I know. 7 episodes in my opinion might change. Werebutts, Danny, Flex Mentallo etc. do try to make The Doom Patrol good but it's just not enough.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 1, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
People like us we gotta stick together.

The dude with a dinosaur head

there is even a guy who can flex and give peopel orgasms

In a later season they have like sexy ghost busters

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CPL593H posted:

Flex Mentallo is in it.

Danny the Street features prominently, too. A sentient piece of urban geography with a nonbinary/genderqueer identity thing going on. Back when I read the comics in the 90s I would not have expected something like this to show up in a live-action TV show ever, but here we are.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It's good OP, sorry about your taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GetDunked posted:

It's good OP, sorry about your taste.

Just because a show is light on action scenes doesn't make it have good character development. It's as shallow as a Marvel movie. That season finale sucked, I hate when motives and a character are only revealed in like the last episode. gently caress that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 1, 2022