Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Look, if it's really important, Alphinaud will remind them, or they'll get an Echo vision or whatever. I'm sure it's fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Man, folks weren’t kidding about these ARR relic books, were they?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, how many times is it going to tell me I should speak with Morgayne about collectables before it actually lets me speak with Morgayne about collectables?

Trick question, the answer is clearly 11.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
*Takes a quest on my side job so I'm not wasting XP on my main job that's already overleveled*

*Can't turn in the quest because you need to be at some minimal level* :mad:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Raenir Salazar posted:

*Takes a quest on my side job so I'm not wasting XP on my main job that's already overleveled*

In order to turn a quest and receive awards for it you must be at or above the quest's level. Yes it's annoying and we wish it worked differently but that is what has been decided for balance reasons.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

Man, folks weren’t kidding about these ARR relic books, were they?

I love when people realize just how much of a grind relic weapons are, because its entirely self inflicted

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

In order to turn a quest and receive awards for it you must be at or above the quest's level. Yes it's annoying and we wish it worked differently but that is what has been decided for balance reasons.

I get that they don’t level 1s shooting up to level 30 instantly or something, but I really feel like as long as you’re the correct starting level for an expansion they should just leave you be.

That said, if you’re doing cat book, roulette, and the one PvP a day, you can pretty much keep 3 classes the same level going through content.

Hell, I had a level 80 WHM when I was just starting Stormblood.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

From shadowbringers onwards you can do the zone sidequests at any level from the expansion base onwards

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

From shadowbringers onwards you can do the zone sidequests at any level from the expansion base onwards

To add, this is because those quests actually scale to your level, making them not a horrible way to level in those ranges.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

girl dick energy posted:

I have neither found a way to resize those nor make them semi-transparent, even though I can do that with every other UI feature (EXCEPT Job Gauges for some reason).

The only way to do that is third party tools. You can rename the buttons shorter with plugins which makes them smaller, and I forget which addons but there are some that will just hide various parts of the chat interface like the resize or movement handles.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

Me sowing: "I'll take all these 33 quests and do them with my BLU, he should level fast enough to get to the right level by the time they finish."

Me reaping, still level 31 with all the quests finished:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There should probably be a less miserable way to level BLU that exists before Shadowbringers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Funky Valentine posted:

There should probably be a less miserable way to level BLU that exists before Shadowbringers.

I would honestly be happy if they just gave more spells that can be grabbed at ARR levels, particularly 30-50. I always felt like I had something productive to do in early BLU before about 30 or so, then realized there was nothing between that and 50 besides maybe one run of Cutter's Cry, and just got powerlevelled to 70 because screw this. More incentive to explore and fight overworld stuff would really help.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So, I hear Heavensward crafting is a bit of a nightmare.

Is this a good time to get into Collectables for leveling my crafters and gatherers? I don’t really understand how that system works.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

Is this a good time to get into Collectables for leveling my crafters and gatherers? I don’t really understand how that system works.

Collectables have you creating special versions of regular items (under the Special Recipes -> Collectables tab in your Crafting Log) that can be turned in for EXP and various types of scrip at appraisers (who are usually found in major cities next to a Scrip Exchange). Each Collectable has a minimum threshhold of Quality it has to hit to be turned in, and then progressively bigger EXP/scrip rewards for higher Quality. Ishgard Restoration functions similarly, and is generally preferable for leveling through HW due to the relatively low cost of the materials needed.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I used Tribal Quests to level my crafters and gatherers out of HW level ranges before Ishgard Restoration but even doing that I had to do the HW quests for those classes and even doing that little of HW crafting/gathering was miserable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Collectables have you creating special versions of regular items (under the Special Recipes -> Collectables tab in your Crafting Log) that can be turned in for EXP and various types of scrip at appraisers (who are usually found in major cities next to a Scrip Exchange). Each Collectable has a minimum threshhold of Quality it has to hit to be turned in, and then progressively bigger EXP/scrip rewards for higher Quality. Ishgard Restoration functions similarly, and is generally preferable for leveling through HW due to the relatively low cost of the materials needed.

What do you do with a collectable that's below the threshold? There's an option to lower quality but does that make it something you can sell to a vendor?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maxwell Lord posted:

What do you do with a collectable that's below the threshold? There's an option to lower quality but does that make it something you can sell to a vendor?

Yeah, if you take a collectible and lower its quality it becomes a NQ item (white text) and can be sold to any vendor that deals in gil.

Edit: But you're better off desynthesizing the item to bump your desynth skill up and maybe get some of the materials back.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, if you take a collectible and lower its quality it becomes a NQ item (white text) and can be sold to any vendor that deals in gil.

Edit: But you're better off desynthesizing the item to bump your desynth skill up and maybe get some of the materials back.

Thanks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roach Warehouse posted:

I did all my HW pineapple/Homer 50s (and was repeatedly told "You should go see the collectables lady" when the collectables lady only ever told me "you should do some levequests" and the levequest guy said "I got no levequests for you, HEATHEN") and the few 53s I have access to want something made from four different materials from three different disciplines, none of which I know where/how to acquire. At least the last bit is fixable.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i pretty much skipped hw crafting and just did beast tribe quests and daily gc turn-in quests

honestly surprised it's not better tuned at this point since it's a big stop gap

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 1, 2022

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

GC turn ins carried me through lots of stuff. Since it’s trivial to just check once a day if the item needed is cheap/the mats are cheap/you have the mats I just kinda leveled them all into the 60s and 70s through GCs over the course of a couple months.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The trick to leveling Blue Mage solo isn't mob level, it's mob density.

The Sahagin breeding grounds in Western La Noscea has an area with a ton of quest mobs that you can wipe out nearly instantly with Ram/Dragon combo. There's an area in Sea of Clouds that has two camps of Imperials clustered very tightly together that you can alternate killing. Lastly, there's an area in the Fringes near the hostile Qalyana tribe that has lots of patrolling mobs you can round up and take out with Freeze/ultravibration.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

For HW crafting- always check if a required mat has a shop selling it. At some point a merchant in Idyllshire got added that has several of the more annoying to acquire materials. That drove up supply and marketboard prices down quite a bit, as well, so it's overall less of a pain in terms of acquisition than it used to be.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

For HW crafting- always check if a required mat has a shop selling it. At some point a merchant in Idyllshire got added that has several of the more annoying to acquire materials. That drove up supply and marketboard prices down quite a bit, as well, so it's overall less of a pain in terms of acquisition than it used to be.

There's one like this in the city for storm blood too, but they're Gil expensive, so use with caution.

Of course if you decided to level crafting you already are committing to throwing money down the hole I guess, so just buy buy buy!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm learning how2DPS (after like a year of being a tank) and I chose a melee class. I'm getting the hang of it, but I had some questions about the decorum around limit breaks. I tried searching around for this and got a lot of arguments and differing answers, so I'll ask here and doubtless get some more.

1. Should I bother using melee-DPS limit breaks on the first and second bosses in dungeons, or should I leave the limit break alone?
I know that having a healer limit break saved up is a generically good idea, and I also saw that mage-ly limit breaks are quality for chewing through wall pulls. I also know that a single bar of limit break maybe isn't all that much. So maybe I ought to... not.

2. At what health percentage, generally, should I pop off the limit break? For third boss of dungeons? For trials?
I hear things like 'six to eight percent health left' (with a couple of exceptions for bosses with weird mechanics) but I've had a limit break fail to kill a boss at three percent.

3. Is it actually a problem if I pop the limit break and don't get the kill? Are the fight mechanics going to get weird or am I just going to look slightly silly?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

In my experience, as long as you're using melee LBs on bosses alone, you're doing fine. My advice is to use it earlier rather than later -- I tend to pop it at 10-15%, where it won't get the kill but will shorten the fight, versus leaving it to the very end where you're shaving off less time. I wouldn't worry about saving it for the healer or tank unless the team is really struggling or there's a specific mechanic that requires it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
limit break is just a chunk of damage. There's nothing special about it that makes it want to be the finishing blow--in fact, that usually wastes damage. You want to use it when the boss still has enough health that you deal the full damage

You'll generally get the most damage from LBs in dungeon by caster or ranged LBing a trash pack with the first LB1, and then LB1ing the final boss with a melee LB. That said, nobody bothers to actually used ranged lb like that and LB1ing the second boss is the next best thing. With an average party, you'll never reach LB2 so it's a non-concern most of the time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The real pro strat for limit breaks in dungeons is to use an AoE limit break on trash packs. Vaporizing half the health of a multi pull will Do more raw damage and save more time than taking a couple % off the boss will.

Sadly, ranged DPS so rarely do it. But it instantly earns my comm if they do.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Picayune posted:

I'm learning how2DPS (after like a year of being a tank) and I chose a melee class. I'm getting the hang of it, but I had some questions about the decorum around limit breaks. I tried searching around for this and got a lot of arguments and differing answers, so I'll ask here and doubtless get some more.

1. Should I bother using melee-DPS limit breaks on the first and second bosses in dungeons, or should I leave the limit break alone?
I know that having a healer limit break saved up is a generically good idea, and I also saw that mage-ly limit breaks are quality for chewing through wall pulls. I also know that a single bar of limit break maybe isn't all that much. So maybe I ought to... not.

2. At what health percentage, generally, should I pop off the limit break? For third boss of dungeons? For trials?
I hear things like 'six to eight percent health left' (with a couple of exceptions for bosses with weird mechanics) but I've had a limit break fail to kill a boss at three percent.

3. Is it actually a problem if I pop the limit break and don't get the kill? Are the fight mechanics going to get weird or am I just going to look slightly silly?

1) you can use the melee LB on the first or second boss if it looks like your group is struggling, but save it for ranged LB or final boss otherwise. Most first/second bosses aren't difficult enough to be worth it. Healer LB is useless in dungeons (it just heals more at 1-2 bars, and healers don't need to heal more).

2-3) anything below 10% is fine, tbh. Nothing will happen if you don't get the kill unless you also get killed due to animation lock, in which case you'll look mildly silly. NBD.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The real pro strat for limit breaks in dungeons is to use an AoE limit break on trash packs. Vaporizing half the health of a multi pull will Do more raw damage and save more time than taking a couple % off the boss will.

Sadly, ranged DPS so rarely do it. But it instantly earns my comm if they do.

I try to do it on ranged, but at least twice I've only realized after the animation starts that I've targeted the one mob that's not pointed at the rest of the pack and I just unloaded my cool LB crossbow into one guy and the wall

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I try to do it on ranged, but at least twice I've only realized after the animation starts that I've targeted the one mob that's not pointed at the rest of the pack and I just unloaded my cool LB crossbow into one guy and the wall

Same. I let the magic dps do the packs since they have a circle aoe they can target.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Limit Break outside of like Savages and Extremes or rarely 24 mans is basically a toy. You can save some time by using it on big packs as a Mage or Ranged DPS but it's nbd if you don't. Same with using Melee DPS LB on bosses, it looks cool but it's only going to save you like a minute or possibly cause the boss to skip a phase.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Okay, cool. Sounds like I've been overthinking it, which is par for the course, for me, for this game. I'll just damage a mans and get on with my life!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you're melee, you should use LB if you're fighting a boss and the LB bar is full. That's pretty much the only relevant concern. Yes, ideally in dungeons you have a caster LB a big trash pack before the 2nd and 3rd bosses, but if you're fighting a boss with full LB then that did not happen and you should spend the meter so it can start accumulating again. The main thing the vast majority of DPS should be doing is pressing LB more.

In the 24-man raids the LB bar will reset to 0 whenever you pull a boss, so it's use it or lose it. If the melee aren't on the ball and you're ranged or caster then you can pull the next boss using leftover LB meter from the last one. This isn't useful -- one caster shooting an LB is far less damage than 24 people attacking for the same duration -- but it's a cute trick if the melee are asleep and the tanks are being pull shy. Of course, LBing trash between bosses is more value here too.

Also, a healer LB3 is generally better DPS than a melee LB3 when you have two dead people, assuming the raise-ees do not immediately fall over again.

In summary, press LB more. Especially if you have an LB3 that looks cool.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
LBing is a power move. It's how you show you're the alpha. Howl at the moon and make a macro that does "/s i did it i pushed the button, i'm better than you" and then die while you're animation locked in a mechanic. This is the warrior's way.

e: yeah melee dps just does it whenever on bosses, pro magic/ranged dps do it on big wall to wall packs, tanks don't touch their button ever (EVER (except that one time)) and healers just save for a panic LB3 in raids.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I honestly hope limit breaks are something that individual jobs get access to as part of their roation that's separate from the party meter. Or, like, Trance or something similar.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

S.J. posted:

I honestly hope limit breaks are something that individual jobs get access to as part of their roation that's separate from the party meter. Or, like, Trance or something similar.

No, they're a shared party resource.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've been playing the game for over 3 years. I'm aware of what they are :v. I was wishlisting for the future is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Does the dialogue improve much after ARR? I'm mostly fine with it, but I'm starting to find the amount of "Pray tell, verily we needs must..." :words:

I wouldn't even have a problem with that if it was well written. But to me it reads like they just had a list of 10 words they replace-all'd with old-timey variants they got from google.