Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
DM Duke was kind of cool on Vita the 1 day it was populated enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Y'know it's funny, DukeZone even has a few good maps on it. dukeprox is a good one.

https://dnr.duke4.net/maps/Proxyon_Military_Base.html

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Needs the duke 'squish' sound effect every time the square flips over

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

Which in turn as I understand it is due to the Doom engine being much more amenable to source ports expanding its limits vastly beyond what the 1993 engine was capable of, while Build is kind of a mess and nowhere near as flexible or easy to work with

Todd Replogle posted:

I don't think I did such a great job coding [Duke 3D]. I was (and still am) a weak programmer. I wasn't familiar with trigonometry or how to make C code portable. I slapped script together in a nervous way without any thought to readability. I didn't use a debugger either. The most impressive thing was that it was a game of a 1000 hacks and all somehow worked.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's a website (that I can no longer recall) that describes how Duke 3D development "worked", and honestly I can't claim that it's accurate. But allegedly the Build engine was one large C source file, the game logic was another large C source file, and state was communicated between the two through a handful of global variables. Ken would make updates to the Build engine as necessary and provide an object file of the engine for 3D Realms to link against.

Assuming that's all true, that's about the most non-portable idosyncratic least-flexible way to develop a game. I want to believe it too, because Ken strikes me as something of (at the time) a young math prodigy but ultimately not very good (and certainly lacking experience) as a software engineer, and, well, Todd openly acknowledges his inexperience. But if this is all true then I'm not sure how exactly contemporary ports of Duke 3D materialized.

In contrast, DOOM's development was consciously done in a portable fashion. It's unclear to me if there was actually a 68k-based port of DOOM running on NeXT workstations throughout its development or if that's something Dave Taylor sorted out later, but certainly their tooling all ran on NeXT and there was a conscious decision to abstract the platform-specific bits.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I never did doom level editing, but I remember the build level editor for duke3d making a big deal about being able to easilyswap yo something close to a character view instead if having to stop and load the game to see what things actually looked like.

Doom editors have this now and it's awesome. You can even edit while in the visual mode, it's such a easy &immediate way to get your hands on level design.

Hell, been thinking of making a new level myself, once I wrap up Plutonia. Been stuck on MAP32, the final final trap is a real POS.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
That’s how forge worked for making marathon maps back in the day. Could change floor and ceiling heights, textures, lighting in real time in the editor.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a website (that I can no longer recall) that describes how Duke 3D development "worked", and honestly I can't claim that it's accurate. But allegedly the Build engine was one large C source file, the game logic was another large C source file, and state was communicated between the two through a handful of global variables. Ken would make updates to the Build engine as necessary and provide an object file of the engine for 3D Realms to link against.

Assuming that's all true, that's about the most non-portable idosyncratic least-flexible way to develop a game. I want to believe it too, because Ken strikes me as something of (at the time) a young math prodigy but ultimately not very good (and certainly lacking experience) as a software engineer, and, well, Todd openly acknowledges his inexperience. But if this is all true then I'm not sure how exactly contemporary ports of Duke 3D materialized.

In contrast, DOOM's development was consciously done in a portable fashion. It's unclear to me if there was actually a 68k-based port of DOOM running on NeXT workstations throughout its development or if that's something Dave Taylor sorted out later, but certainly their tooling all ran on NeXT and there was a conscious decision to abstract the platform-specific bits.

Not the website you are looking for but it seems like a good time to revisit george.txt
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Blood/Alpha_Demo#GEORGE.TXT

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

Y'know it's funny, DukeZone even has a few good maps on it. dukeprox is a good one.

https://dnr.duke4.net/maps/Proxyon_Military_Base.html

DukeZone and other similar products were just made by downloading whole directories from public FTP servers and throwing them onto a CD, right? So odds are at least a few good things would accidentally end up in it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's unclear to me if there was actually a 68k-based port of DOOM running on NeXT workstations throughout its development or if that's something Dave Taylor sorted out later, but certainly their tooling all ran on NeXT and there was a conscious decision to abstract the platform-specific bits.

There was. They never implemented sound for it and I’m not sure if networking was added, but those were both things that happened at the very end.

(Pic curtsey of the Doom wiki)

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

verbal enema posted:

There is that one insane Duke3D TC I can't remember the name of right now it's loving bonkers
The Vietnam War mod was pretty awesome. I liked how even in the third-person view that hardly anybody used, they went through the effort of swapping Duke into an Army uniform.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

david_a posted:

There was. They never implemented sound for it and I’m not sure if networking was added, but those were both things that happened at the very end.

(Pic curtsey of the Doom wiki)

You can see it in action at 19:45 of this video https://youtu.be/Bn7qIl59MAQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I picked up the switch version of doom 1 and had no idea that a) they had added all these free WADs with it and b) they don't distinguish between doom 1 or doom 2...you just get to play everything if you own either. This is fuckin awesome. There's a lot on here I wanna play

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

and b) they don't distinguish between doom 1 or doom 2...you just get to play everything if you own either.
This is actually a fairly recent change! Before that, a couple of the mods in the Bethesda-approved list were game specific, like Double Action.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

This is actually a fairly recent change! Before that, a couple of the mods in the Bethesda-approved list were game specific, like Double Action.

I think you still have to buy doom 1 and doom 2 separately for the original maps right? like they're not "one purchase gets you e1-e4 of ultimate doom and all of the doom 2 maps"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

I think you still have to buy doom 1 and doom 2 separately for the original maps right? like they're not "one purchase gets you e1-e4 of ultimate doom and all of the doom 2 maps"
Of course, I meant the community add on stuff. That’s all the same lineup on both games now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Arivia posted:

Yes, DOOM and DOOM II are still separate. I mentioned a couple of pages ago that I thought this was kind of silly, especially since there's parity between them for the add-ons. I mean, who is really only buying one or the other here?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone here that hasn't pressed 'help' on the Blood menu and waited for a good minute at every screen should do it today

except the GT Interactive one

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 31, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

Not the website you are looking for but it seems like a good time to revisit george.txt
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Blood/Alpha_Demo#GEORGE.TXT

Holy poo poo :wtf: that sure backs up the statement that Ken was just sending a single monolithic object file and maybe the names and signatures of a few functions and global variables, no source code or modularity or anything, and in order to do anything with the engine non-Ken developers had to use a disassembler and reverse engineer his code that way

this belongs in the coding horrors thread

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Everything about BUILD, it's games, source ports and mods belong in a Coding Horrors thread. At some point I'll sit down and collate all the stories I've heard, there's some real howlers.

In other news, the Halo MCC August Update is live, although the Reach mod tools have been held back for a little bit longer to stomp the bugs out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

Everything about BUILD, it's games, source ports and mods belong in a Coding Horrors thread. At some point I'll sit down and collate all the stories I've heard, there's some real howlers.

Really looking forward to that one

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Might be this. There's some deep-dives of other engines too.

quote:

Opening those files reveals something hostile to the eyes and the mind.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/3DRealms/status/1565052582153920515?t=fvf4giPqbWFUj0jAY15Zdw&s=19

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
how much postal does it have

Two Owls posted:

Might be this. There's some deep-dives of other engines too.
"Trivia : The name of the engine "Build" was chosen by Ken Silverman when creating the directory for the new engine: He used a thesaurus to search for a synonyms of "Construction"."

ken you coward you could have had Duke Nukem 3D running on Ken Silverman's Erection Engine.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 1, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

90s Cringe Rock posted:

how much postal does it have

quote:

Other developers and partners at this year’s Realms Deep include Fulqrum, New Blood, Team 17, Nvidia, HYPERSTRANGE, Dread XP, Nightdive Studios, Retrovibe, Bounding Box Software, Rogue Games, Running With Scissors, Top Hat Studios, Hellforge Studios, In The Keep, Evil Guinea Pig, Schmidt Workshops, Warcry Interactive, Tastyspleen, Reload Magazine, NoLight Games, and more to be announced!

At least a little, I guess

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hyperstrange is there too, so that's likely to be about Postal: Brain Damage.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Everyone at realms deep is working together to finish that leaked Duke build, but all in their own unique way. Like that RoboCop remake

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Personally, I'm hoping for something that actually gets released within four years of being announced. If ever.

Would also be nice to see some stuff that doesn't have you fighting demons in hell while some subgenre or another of metal plays. Not that I'm opposed to that! But when 30+ games with the same premise all get announced one after another...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Everyone at realms deep is working together to finish that leaked Duke build, but all in their own unique way. Like that RoboCop remake
The community project continues unabated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCS8HSmAMUU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’m looking forward to anything that is t early access. I’m still waiting on Wrath and Graven.

Supplice and Selaco aren’t EA but I’m waiting on them too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/HellforgeStudio/status/1565084208330326016

https://twitter.com/MischiefDonut/status/1565066085308956677

https://twitter.com/HellslingerGame/status/1565088380538523650

https://twitter.com/MovieGamesSA/status/1564551803932495874

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
is disdain gonna be valheim with guns, because that's what that logo is telling me

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
New Civvie vid for RtCW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLRsOw1d84

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy poo poo :wtf: that sure backs up the statement that Ken was just sending a single monolithic object file and maybe the names and signatures of a few functions and global variables, no source code or modularity or anything, and in order to do anything with the engine non-Ken developers had to use a disassembler and reverse engineer his code that way

this belongs in the coding horrors thread
He was definitely sending them the code, but the engine source is terrible so it still basically requires reverse engineering to do anything with. The Duke3D code is public, so you can see for yourself. Just one awful massive file for the engine and another for the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Civvie returns to the return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLRsOw1d84

Arivia posted:

is disdain gonna be valheim with guns, because that's what that logo is telling me
It started like as I Made A Quake Clone In 10 Days. It now has slightly more development time and polish put into it, along with a bunch of cool new engine features for GZDoom nerds to do things with.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh hey, voidpoint. The Ion Fury DLC fell right off the face of the earth, so I assume they'll have an update on that one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

It started like as I Made A Quake Clone In 10 Days. It now has slightly more development time and polish put into it, along with a bunch of cool new engine features for GZDoom nerds to do things with.

it was a comment on how much it looks like the valheim logo and nothing else. thanks for filling me in, though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

calling a game hellslinger when there's a more prominent game called metal: hellsinger already in development sounds like a bad idea

don't outer wilds/worlds yourself if you can help it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Hyperstrange is there too, so that's likely to be about Postal: Brain Damage.
everyone forgets this i guess but hyperstrange is also working on Blood West, so I assume their inclusion is more about a content update for that game since they promised adding two more scenarios to the game before 1.0 and it's been 7 months since the EA launch.

bounding box is Prodeus and they might be there to announce a 1.0 date as well

retrovibe might be there for Impaler

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 1, 2022

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hyperstrange are a developer and a publisher, and it sounds like they have a lot to show.

https://twitter.com/HYPERSTRANGE/status/1565119079328976897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only played Blood West's demo last RD and found it way too punishing. Has that changed through EA at all?