Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Are you doing things at home to simulate the car environment? Like a white noise machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Or, in my daughter's case, the bassiest hip-hop you can find

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Thanks for the replies all.

My wife is going out to get morale boosting doughnuts tonight when I start the process so wish me luck!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How long have your 2 year olds gone without pooping? My daughter is currently on some weird poop strike and has not gone in like 2 and a half days. Not potty trained yet and every time she says poopoo she gets distracted by something and holds it to go play. Kind of impressive, but just poop already.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

nachos posted:

How long have your 2 year olds gone without pooping? My daughter is currently on some weird poop strike and has not gone in like 2 and a half days. Not potty trained yet and every time she says poopoo she gets distracted by something and holds it to go play. Kind of impressive, but just poop already.

My son has gone 3-4 days without pooping, and he’s usually every other day.

I’d just offer a lot of water throughout the day if you aren’t already.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My kid has been withholding for about a year and a half. The longest he's gone was about a week.

You can offer half a cap of mirilax once a day to help loosen it up if it becomes a chronic problem.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

1) it sucks that something is working through the family that officially has me as the “most sick”. I’ve always been the one with a 8 hr headache and then gone, as my wife and toddler went through days of agony. Stuck in sweats and the child’s, but at least COVID neg so far :/

2) Any suggestions on getting a recent 3 y/o to not bust out “you gently caress” when he is mad at someone? He picked it up from a same-aged cousin about 3 months ago. My in-laws were able to get the cousin to stop saying it (probably with disciplinary measures); however, with my son we’ve tried ignoring it, guiding him to use different words, giving him ultimatums - and he still just whips it out, almost subconsciously, for even pretty low stakes situations. Example:

Us: “hey buddy you need to stop playing to go peepee in the potty”

Him: “no I don’t want to”

Us: “Just a quick peepee, so you don’t have an accident, and then you can go back to playing”

Him: “no, you gently caress. I don’t want to stop playing”

Us: :doh:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My six year old had perfect conduct last year at school, green dots every single day.

Now, 2 weeks into first grade, she tries to refuse getting out of the car every morning, refuses to go her seat, and just becomes psychopathically defiant at home when punished or having privileges revoked. What the gently caress is happening

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Somebody told our daughter to execute order 66 about three weeks ago too, and it's been hell

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It's like it was tailor-made to piss me off. Wailing, crying (with no tears), and then instantly pretending to be asleep and snoring, like the whole thing is an elaborate comedy piece. God help me I'm seeing my own mother come out of me and I don't need or want that

WeaklyInteracting
Nov 15, 2011

The baby started eating solid a month ago. One of the parents made the mistake of launching the stinkiest (cloth) diaper so far onto the grass of the back garden so that the second parent could jet-wash it, but it landed on a hard surface instead. Both parents now are experts in physics of explosive poop landing.

How do you deal with removing solids from reusable diapers? (cross-posting the r/relationship hall of fame post on poop knives is probably not the favored option)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toilet mounted diaper sprayer then flush

WeaklyInteracting
Nov 15, 2011

This may change our lives thanks so much

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I don’t have one of those and used compostable bamboo liners in each nappy. Remove liner, drop as much deuce in the loo as possible, then bin the liner.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We were at the parent's night for our new pre-school. As we're waiting to start a couple walks in and my wife's eyes get huge because one of the dads from Teen Mom, according to her not on the show anymore, has their kid in our class. :lol:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

calandryll posted:

We were at the parent's night for our new pre-school. As we're waiting to start a couple walks in and my wife's eyes get huge because one of the dads from Teen Mom, according to her not on the show anymore, has their kid in our class. :lol:

:munch:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

It's going to be very interesting, I did laugh at her as she was explaining it. Apparently this is his second kid with a different woman so nothing should be on filmed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is an appropriate for child-centric product recs right? Staying at my parents' place later this month and looking for advice on a travel high chair for a six-month old. We have the regular Lalo high chair and we like it so far, I know they sell one that you can fasten to a normal human chair but my wife is interested in one that clips to the end of a table or countertop (which seems super unstable?).

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Trip report from the first night of sleep training:

Grumbling then big crying for 5 minutes, went to check and he calmed a bit.

Seven minutes later he fell asleep for 3 hours, then proceeded to put himself to sleep the rest of the night after feeds?!

I really can't imagine it will be that easy again tonight but I am glad we know that he does have that skill now!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was surprised when I started timing it on my phone, they seem to either a) cry for 3-6 minutes, then just pass out. That 3-6 minutes feels like forever though; or b) they're really mad you put them to bed and will cry as long as you let them. Haven't figured out what/how the difference is but there's no middle ground there.

Asking over and over "is it bye-bye time? is it nappy nappy time?" for 3-5 min before actually taking her to bed seems to quasi-hypnotise her, do final diaper change with the lights low, drop her in bed with a bottle of milk, turn on the quiet sleep music at low-low volume, always in the same order, and she's usually out like a light by the time i get to the nursery door

Mrs. Hadlock on the other hand, will rock her to sleep in the chair in the corner, then pick her up (waking her up in the process) and then put her in the crib which causes her to cry herself to sleep. This has been "her method" since birth so whatever, that's her thing I guess, not gonna fight her on it, even though having a consistent bedtime routine with both parents seems like a not terrible idea.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

C-Euro posted:

This is an appropriate for child-centric product recs right? Staying at my parents' place later this month and looking for advice on a travel high chair for a six-month old. We have the regular Lalo high chair and we like it so far, I know they sell one that you can fasten to a normal human chair but my wife is interested in one that clips to the end of a table or countertop (which seems super unstable?).

If you do get a table-mounted one, check the maximum wight limit carefully and set a calendar reminder to re-check it every month... I'm kidding, I have never used one, and I never would. They all look flimsy as hell, and depends on the parent mounting it correctly every time which I wouldn't trust myself or my wife to do consistently.

My friend got a "straps into a regular chair" travel thingie that is more like a baby carrier, and it worked fine but his kid is more like 9 months by now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

C-Euro posted:

We had this one and it was stable as hell.

Inglesina Fast Table Chair - Award-Winning Convenient Baby High Chair - Use at Most Tables or Restaurants Without Leaving Scratches {Black} https://a.co/d/93gJx24

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If you do get a table-mounted one, check the maximum wight limit carefully and set a calendar reminder to re-check it every month... I'm kidding, I have never used one, and I never would. They all look flimsy as hell, and depends on the parent mounting it correctly every time which I wouldn't trust myself or my wife to do consistently.

My friend got a "straps into a regular chair" travel thingie that is more like a baby carrier, and it worked fine but his kid is more like 9 months by now.

They also don't work on lots of tables. We had friends visit with one for their 20 month old and it wouldn't attach to our dining room table (there's a lip too close to the edge) or one at a restaurant (glass tabletop or inlaid ceramic tile). There's was the screw-from-the-bottom type. It was super compact, which was nice.

We've got a folding one from Fisher Price https://a.co/d/6TaUJ5T, and it works great. Adjustable height, removable tray with cover, reasonably lightweight. It's bulky though.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 2, 2022

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Having used both, I like the ones that strap to a chair. We have one that compacts in on itself to like a shoebox and a half and can be set up in 2 minutes. Also, the mechanics of eating on a tray built for the seat, as opposed to awkwardly spaced away from a table make things a lot easier in a number of ways.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Hadlock posted:

Somebody told our daughter to execute order 66 about three weeks ago too, and it's been hell

Wow that must be it for my kid then. Here I thought it was the ear infection she had.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Since today's the last day of summer camp at daycare, they hired a DJ and they're having a dance party on the playground.

Watching a bunch of 3 year olds trying and failing to do the cha cha slide is the funniest poo poo and I love it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really can't get enough of this tweet today.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Little kid sleep is weird as hell. My 3 year old is managing to stay asleep for her nap while construction workers manually hammer nails into the roof like one room away. Hasn’t even stirred.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BadSamaritan posted:

Little kid sleep is weird as hell. My 3 year old is managing to stay asleep for her nap while construction workers manually hammer nails into the roof like one room away. Hasn’t even stirred.

We have the worst upstairs neighbor imaginable, like house rattling bass and TV at all hours, slams door constantly, stomps around and screams and all and my husband has had a major fight with him before about him waking the baby or keeping the baby from sleep but truth be told I think it bothers us far far more than it has ever bothered her.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The fire alarm in my apartment building went off for 4 hours earlier this week, but my 9mo was able to fall asleep at nap time like normal. The noise levels on the baby monitor was even topping out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The only thing that wakes up my son is a construction truck backing up. Four beeps in he's sitting up and saying "hello, truck! Hello, truck!!!"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who is the daycare person responsible for the “Friday treat”

I need to speak with them

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Around here it's lollipop Friday. Were you good enough to earn a lollipop or not?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Cool, my sister in law has a baby that won't take regular pacifiers, going to give this a try. 4 months old, nothing wrong with him, but will. not. shut. up. All the other kids in the family were big-time pacifier fans. This baby has been using laytex nipples since birth so hoping this helps.

Sister in laws kid loves the latex pacifier, all is silent now

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

any tips for helping a non-verbal toddler deal with covid? i ended up bringing it home a few days ago and despite our best efforts to isolate, our little guy got infected. right now we are making sure he gets fluids and liquid ibuprofen to keep his fever from getting too high. just wondering if there is more i can do :smith: its just really tough because he can't tell us how he's feeling, we just have to watch his body language and take our best guess. even between my wife and i, our symptoms were different so i'm not entirely sure what to expect in a little guy. it's his first time ever being sick too (not counting the effects of the vaccines) since he was born right before everything went into lockdown mode.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hadlock posted:

Sister in laws kid loves the latex pacifier, all is silent now

Really glad it helped! Ours literally would spit out or throw any other paci. Compared to my sister's kid who loves them all.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Baby said her first words! And it was by singing! :toot:

The words were Baby doot doot doot :negative:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

DamnitGannet posted:

any tips for helping a non-verbal toddler deal with covid? i ended up bringing it home a few days ago and despite our best efforts to isolate, our little guy got infected. right now we are making sure he gets fluids and liquid ibuprofen to keep his fever from getting too high. just wondering if there is more i can do :smith: its just really tough because he can't tell us how he's feeling, we just have to watch his body language and take our best guess. even between my wife and i, our symptoms were different so i'm not entirely sure what to expect in a little guy. it's his first time ever being sick too (not counting the effects of the vaccines) since he was born right before everything went into lockdown mode.
I think watching the body language is the best way to do it especially since you know him better than anyone else.

Last time my non verbal toddler was sick, we tried offering him a bunch of options to let him lead (like taking a bath, laying on a parent and watching sesame street, etc) but he figured out how to game that and just get his favorite foods. Not sure if bananas help with illness but it calmed him down :shrug:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Slaan posted:

Baby said her first words! And it was by singing! :toot:

The words were Baby doot doot doot :negative:

Our son discovered Baby Shark's Big Show on Prime. And demands to watch it all. The. Time.

God help us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I wish we could tell the nurse "please just don't put a bandaid on after her shot, it's gonna be a whole thing for like a week"