Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The 7th Guest posted:

backbone ruled, including the genre swerve

I mean, it was definitely interesting, it just didn't entirely work for me and came off as a pretty jarring shift from the furry neo-noir that it starts out as. I suspect that some of the originally planned content/features that were cut would have done a better job of setting it up, though we'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GRID Legends is up on PC Gamepass by way of EA play today. I think you could play it on the trial before but looks to be fully on there now.

Edit: Game kinda feels like poo poo. Oh well!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 1, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kennel posted:

I started with the first Disgaea and it was perfectly fine for a newbie.

Disgaea 1 is definitely playable, but it has some frustrating outdated design trends. The biggest one that comes to my mind is your Clerics, for example, don't get any EXP for healing Allies. Only from killing an enemy (or the Bonus Gauge), so it's just obnoxious to need to give your healers weapons and allow them to get killing blows before you start to grasp the games deeper systems in order to level them easily.

It also has the problem where you CAN throw allies diagonally, but only if you time hitting the "throw" button while the cursor moves between the two axes, instead of just letting you target any diagonal square in range like on future titles.

D1 will always be my favorite game, but future titles improve on it a lot and therefore it's harder for me to justify suggesting it over any others. Although now that I look, I do see D5 is $20 more expensive so if you're not even sure if you'll like the series I can see wanting to save some scratch.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am never going back to the Dark Assembly in D1. You finally spent enough time bribing them to give in to your proposals and still lost because there are about five groups of Senators (out of many tiers of lowbies and post-game powerhouses) and they didn't show up in enough numbers. Bribe another 20 and go through the process again for the next tier, or just kill them forever and for every proposal.
D2 almost hands you the vote because some of them vote for any girl.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

New fanatical bundle

quote:

Score super-hot Steam games at super-low prices, with Fanatical’s new Platinum Collection for September.
Platinum Collection lets you build your own bespoke bundle of awesome Steam PC games. Choose from a line-up of classic AAA titles and awesome indie gems, with a new selection available on the first Thursday of every month.
Enjoy bloodthirsty FPS action in id Software’s exhilarating DOOM 2016 remake, complete with all three premium DLC packs; Unto the Hell, Hell Followed, and Bloodfall. 
Want more DOOM? Then you need DOOM 3 in your Steam library. This survival horror take on the classic FPS  includes the original DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil Expansion, the remastered DOOM 3: BFG Edition, plus embedded versions of the original DOOM, and DOOM II!
Zombie fans can get their teeth into Dead Island: Riptide Definitive Edition, there’s more adrenaline-fuelled action in Red Faction Guerilla Re-Mars-tered, the Demonic Shooters Double Pack (featuring Painkiller: Hell & Damnation, and Painkiller Overdose), and the 94% rated Hedon Bloodrite, a high octane FPS inspired by the best retro FPS game of the 90s.
Want a break from shooting stuff? Witch It is a hugely popular online PvP game set in a magical world, I Am Fish is a charmingly funny, physics-based adventure, Mech Mechanic Simulator will let you create your own state of the art robot

Doom 2016
A story Aside
War hammer 4000: Dakka squad Flyboyz edition
Homefront the revolution
Mech mechanic sim
Red Fraction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered
Saints Row 3 the complete package
Dead Island riptide edition
Doom 3
Hedon Bloodrite
I am fish
Neon Abyss
Witch it !
Rover mechanic sim
Demonic shooters double pack(Painkiller Overdose/Painkiller Hell & Damnation)
Clouzy

3 for $10/5 for $15/7 for $20

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i probably already made this joke because i think they've been doing them for a while at this point but yet another platinum bundle that contains no platinum games

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Fanatical to me is the epitome of "I already have the games I really want, and don't wanna buy some so-so games to get the one I actually do still want" bundles

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rebel Blob posted:

What is the best place to start with all these Nippon Ichi tactics games on Steam? They all look alike.

If you want the absolute stand-out, give Soul Nomad a try, it leans in a whole different direction from the rest and is probably the company's peak from their boom era imo

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Re: Saints Row

No and lmao at that clip.

ZearothK posted:

Any further comment on it? Big fan of the series, but between middling reviews and an EGS release I don't think I've seen people talking about it. Is there a thread for it or the series at this point?

I suppose there is the standard disclaimer of "it works fine on my PC!" I didn't run into bugs worth talking about and no performance issues. The game was everything I was expecting from a new Saints Row game, in a good way. Nothing shockingly genre breaking but decent gameplay and lots of fun wacky adventures. Definitely of the Saints Row 3 vibe as opposed to SR2. One questline in particular where you go LARPing in the desert was pretty great, theres lots of fun animations and silly death cries from overacting NPCs. I liked the new characters, there are much more fleshed out than the big personalities of Shaundi/Johnny etc. Big family/BFF vibes from the whole crew, they all care about each other instead of putting each other down and its very wholesome.

Obviously there are legitimate complaints and its silly to just ignore them but the loudest voices that I've seen either didn't actually know what Saints Row is and expected something much higher budget and standard AAA or are the standard pieces of poo poo who consider the game "too woke" and are demanding for the company to go out of business for besmirching the brand.

You can still dress up as a hotdog with a jiggle-physics costume so thats an extra point out of 10 anyway IMO.

EDIT: There is no 80s radio station but there is Rap and Country stations which is very funny to me because its the perfect thing for white boys to get mad about. Miss the classic rock/pop but the hip hop songs have some bangers amongst them and I like sad cowboy music.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I hear the dress-up game in the new Saints Row is pretty good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got a 3090 and a big rear end 4k monitor (in lieu of children) so what's the most hardware intensive game that will make me feel good about my purchase? I heard Cyberpunk is a monster but I also heard it's a bad game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zoux posted:

I got a 3090 and a big rear end 4k monitor (in lieu of children) so what's the most hardware intensive game that will make me feel good about my purchase? I heard Cyberpunk is a monster but I also heard it's a bad game.

It's a great game

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Andrast posted:

It's a great game

Agreed, I’ve been having a blast with it on PS5 which came out after the game had been nicely patched up.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its not the best but its definitely sick for graphix ogling

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

couple more release date announcements:

Justice Sucks releases 9/8
TemTem 1.0 releases 9/6 (i've heard it sucks so.. ymmv)
Absolute Tactics: Daughter of Mercy releases 9/15
Backfirewall_ doesn't have a date yet but it's in the queue for September and they are taking the demo down on the 5th so, it's possible that is a prelude to a release later in the month.
Similarly the demo for Chained Echoes is running until mid-September, and the game already has a "____ber" target so possibly October?? I'm just speculating.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 2, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

zoux posted:

Both Control and Metro look great with Ray Tracing. New Spiderman is supposed to look nice as well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

¬_¬ alright but you sobs better not be trolling me...

If you'll indulge me a hardware question: My CPU is a Ryzen 7 3700x, which is a few years older than the 30 series cards. I was assuming I'd also have to upgrade that, but going to one of those bottleneck calculators, it tells me that that CPU works great with the 3090 for 4k (but not for 1440p?). So what's up with that, CPU architecture is that far ahead of GPUs, or CPUs don't matter that much for gaming, what's going on?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Both Control and Metro look great with Ray Tracing. New Spiderman is supposed to look nice as well

Yeah I got that one and jacked everything up to ultra and turned on ray tracing, but the options limit it to reflections only, so while everything looked great, the lighting didn't stun me like it did with Control on much lower settings. Or am I misunderstanding ray tracing?

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 1, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm looking to try out a few Call of Duty games (I know, I know... but I'm just in the mood to do some dumb shoot man clicking okay) and I'm looking at Black Ops III because it's on sale right now. However, here's what I'm seeing on the Steam store page:

What is the difference between these two purchase options? Obviously one is twice as expensive but why?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cyberpunk 2077 rivals the hit movie Morbius.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

zoux posted:

If you'll indulge me a hardware question: My CPU is a Ryzen 7 3700x, which is a few years older than the 30 series cards. I was assuming I'd also have to upgrade that, but going to one of those bottleneck calculators, it tells me that that CPU works great with the 3090 for 4k (but not for 1440p?). So what's up with that, CPU architecture is that far ahead of GPUs, or CPUs don't matter that much for gaming, what's going on?

Bottleneck calculators are more often than not made up. Look up game benchmarks on youtube.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

It's not a bad game, unless you experience lots of bugs. But your hardware is better than mine and in ~85 hours I only had 1 crash and 1 bug causing me to reload a 30 second old save. And obvious the game has been patched a bunch since then, so it'll be even more stable.

It doesn't do anything crazy new and amazing but the set pieces are cool and the population density is novel even if it doesn't react as well as games of a smaller scope. Could be a much more interesting RPG/character sandbox, but it's fine.

edit; and it's really hard to say about performance bottlenecks because it can vary wildly from game to game. When I was out a GPU for a few weeks this year, DOTA 2 ran on my mobo's integrated graphics at 100 fps @ 1440p. But then Monster Train was a drat slide show.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah I got that one and jacked everything up to ultra and turned on ray tracing, but the options limit it to reflections only. Or am I misunderstanding ray tracing?

Ray Tracing can vary in implementation on a game-by-game basis. Some will use the whole suite of reflections and shadows and others will limit themselves to just one aspect. I havent played Spiderman on PC but I looked it up and it seems to only have ray-traced reflections, not lighting

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cool Dad posted:

It's pretty frustrating because I bought that game a long time before I knew about all this, and I probably can't get valve to refund it just because the dev is a piece of poo poo.

i did the same... you may not be able to get a refund but you can erase it from your account. i don't know if devs get notified about people doing that but i hope so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A 3700X will absolutely bottleneck a 3090 in Cyberpunk. Not necessarily at all times, but certain city areas are really CPU intensive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rinkles posted:

A 3700X will absolutely bottleneck a 3090 in Cyberpunk. Not necessarily at all times, but certain city areas are really CPU intensive.

Is it easy to distinguish what processes are more or less CPU/GPU intensive or does that vary game-to-game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

zoux posted:

Is it easy to distinguish what processes are more or less CPU/GPU intensive or does that vary game-to-game

You can use an overlay like Afterburner to monitor your system utilization. If you’re getting fps drops with a corresponding drop in GPU usage, chances are it’s the CPU not keeping up. Otherwise, the GPU should always be close to 100%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rinkles posted:

You can use an overlay like Afterburner to monitor your system utilization. If you’re getting fps drops with a corresponding drop in GPU usage, chances are it’s the CPU not keeping up. Otherwise, the GPU should always be close to 100%.

Oh great, thanks. I use afterburner to monitor FPS and GPU temp but I never knew what the processor utilization percentages were telling me.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I absolutely loved Cyberpunk, and that was in 1080p on a lovely 1050. It's a great game, not just a GPU benchmark.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

currently the prettiest game i've stress tested my 3080 ti with is elden ring tbh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think cruelty squad counts

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm looking to try out a few Call of Duty games (I know, I know... but I'm just in the mood to do some dumb shoot man clicking okay) and I'm looking at Black Ops III because it's on sale right now. However, here's what I'm seeing on the Steam store page:

What is the difference between these two purchase options? Obviously one is twice as expensive but why?

One is the deluxe edition OP

As an aside I really hate how steam handles them. I frequently have to google the difference because the steam pages don’t list it.

Pretty sure that’s on the publisher though not steam.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yes, my 3070 and 32” 1080p 60Hz monitor had all the maxed options + raytracing on and looked gorgeous in both of those games. I’m getting the Spider-Man game next month, or this month if a flash sale or something pops up.

The Spider-Man to Kermit the Frog mod will be a day 1 adjustment for me.

Edit: My son and his friends invited me to play CoD: Warzone with them, probably so they can call me gamer words and laugh at the guy who played Doom in the 90s. Any idea how a 3070/1080p/60fps will handle it? drat game took four 8-hour nights to download (4G LTE internet) and I’m hoping it runs well. They all play on Xboxes/Xbox series Xs. My ping is around 48-65ms in prime time.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 1, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

As an aside I really hate how steam handles them. I frequently have to google the difference because the steam pages don’t list it.

Yea you'd have to manually compare the product description when you click into the Super Duper Deluxe Collector's Edition and there it should tell you what you get over the regular version

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Yea you'd have to manually compare the product description when you click into the Super Duper Deluxe Collector's Edition and there it should tell you what you get over the regular version

Sometimes it doesn’t even do that.

I know for sure it didn’t do it for far cry 4 when looking at the gold vs regular edition.

You could only add it to the cart.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

It's really not great, but I've found that typically edition differences are laid in a section that you have to expand on the base edition page, so you have to do more hunting than you'd like to find what you're buying, but I usually can still find that information on Steam.
Here's what I mean for Black Ops III as the example (all I've done between the left and the right side of the image is click the "READ MORE" below the image banner.

The first option is just the base game + Zombie Chronicles expansion.
The deluxe option is that, PLUS the Season Pass and some bonus micro DLC stuff included.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yes, my 3070 and 32” 1080p 60Hz monitor had all the maxed options + raytracing on and looked gorgeous in both of those games. I’m getting the Spider-Man game next month, or this month if a flash sale or something pops up.

The Spider-Man to Kermit the Frog mod will be a day 1 adjustment for me.

Edit: My son and his friends invited me to play CoD: Warzone with them, probably so they can call me gamer words and laugh at the guy who played Doom in the 90s. Any idea how a 3070/1080p/60fps will handle it? drat game took four 8-hour nights to download (4G LTE internet) and I’m hoping it runs well. They all play on Xboxes/Xbox series Xs. My ping is around 48-65ms in prime time.

A 3070 is massive overkill for your setup. Warzone and literally every game will run fine. Buy a monitor that isn't ancient garbage. It's ridiculous to have a modern GPU and a monitor that is nowhere near up to par.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

A 3070 is massive overkill for your setup. Warzone and literally every game will run fine. Buy a monitor that isn't ancient garbage. It's ridiculous to have a modern GPU and a monitor that is nowhere near up to par.

If you want to really laugh my Monitor is actually a Visio Television. I had a corneal transplant this year and before that I literally couldn’t see a difference in 720p and 4K (besides obvious stuff like text size before scaling). I’m getting 2 1440p/144Hz monitors for Christmas because I actually see 20/20 now. At the same time I don’t think my 3070 will run 2 4K monitors at 120+ with all options going.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

K8.0 posted:

eh, I have a 4k and it kiiinda sucks that sometimes I can't max everything out because of that, since I got a 3080 to avoid fiddling with settings.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
4k is marketing hype. 1440p crew. I would go for more fps than a bigger box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't found the game yet that i can't max out at 4k with a 3080ti but i also got an entire new rig with all the fixins alongside it so every single bottleneck is as unbottlenecked as possible