Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not sure where else to ask, but I was going to try and make it to a few screenings at the local theater's Noir fest. Any movie in particular stand out to any genre die-hards that might be in the thread? I've seen Thief, Among the Living and All the King's Men.

Thief
FLESH AND BONE
AMONG THE LIVING
STREET OF CHANCE
DR. BROADWAY
SMOOTH AS SILK
SO DARK THE NIGHT
THE ARGYLE SECRETS
FLESH AND FANTASY + DESTINY
NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES
SORRY, WRONG NUMBER
SOUTHSIDE 1-1000
THE SNIPER
THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK
ALL THE KING'S MEN
SCANDAL SHEET
DETECTIVE STORY
711 OCEAN DRIVE
PLAYGIRL
THE CRUEL TOWER

(sorry for the formatting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Street of Chance - meh
So Dark the Night - meh
Night Has a Thousand Eyes - good
Sorry, Wrong Number - good
Southside 1-1000 - good
The Sniper - very good
The Face Behind the Mask - good
Scandal Sheet - very good
Detective Story - fair
711 Ocean Drive - good

A lot I've never heard of.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

heyyy, I appreciate it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Noir festival without D.O.A? The shame

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Azhais posted:

Noir festival without Double Indemnity? The shame

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It’s a yearly thing, they’re mostly going for deeper cuts

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Thanks for the responses.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I just re-watched Clean, Shaven for the first time in a couple of years and forgot how great it was. One of the things I really like is how it really focuses on sound and sound design to bring you deeper into its world. Does anyone have any other recommendations for movies where sound/sound design is used like this? Off the top of my head I can name Berberian Sound Studio and Sound of Metal, I'm optimistic about Flux Gourmet as well but I don't think that's out yet. David Lynch's stuff counts too, of course. Any other suggestions?

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

I just re-watched Clean, Shaven for the first time in a couple of years and forgot how great it was. One of the things I really like is how it really focuses on sound and sound design to bring you deeper into its world. Does anyone have any other recommendations for movies where sound/sound design is used like this? Off the top of my head I can name Berberian Sound Studio and Sound of Metal, I'm optimistic about Flux Gourmet as well but I don't think that's out yet. David Lynch's stuff counts too, of course. Any other suggestions?

Whiplash
The Conversation
Blow Out

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Whiplash
The Conversation
Blow Out

I've seen Whiplash and The Conversation but Blow Out is new to me. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Elephant Man has incredible sound design. Eraserhead too. It's kind of Lynch's thing but those two in particular stand out.

E: oh, you mentioned Lynch.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

I've seen Whiplash and The Conversation but Blow Out is new to me. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

it's a nice double feature with Blow Up, the movie that it's based on. But Blow Up is about photography, so not as much focus on sound design.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

it's a nice double feature with Blow Up, the movie that it's based on. But Blow Up is about photography, so not as much focus on sound design.

Yeah I've seen (and loved) Blow Up, but Blow Up with sound seems like a great idea.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

Yeah I've seen (and loved) Blow Up, but Blow Up with sound seems like a great idea.

It's DePalma so you can't really go wrong. I never bought Travolta as a leading man till I saw it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Stumbled on the Vinegar Syndrome release of The Scary of Sixty First and started looking up some other stuff they released and was reminded that I must not know as much about weird horror/absurd flicks as I thought.

Recommend me something trashy, gory or weird for a themed movie playlist I'm putting together. So far I've got :

Assholes
Gummo
Raw Nerve
The Little Hours
An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Trash Humpers
Tokyo Gore Police
Kuso

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

magic cactus posted:

Barton Fink

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for movies like the Green Mile, where characters try to explore/figure out a spiritual phenomena or miracles.

I don't want horror movies or movies where people are ghost-hunting, but rather more thoughtful movies.

It doesn't have to be explicitly supernatural either: a character hunting for a miracle or phenomena and not finding it is also fine.

Documentaries are welcome too as well as normal movies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Contact, kinda

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for movies like the Green Mile, where characters try to explore/figure out a spiritual phenomena or miracles.

I don't want horror movies or movies where people are ghost-hunting, but rather more thoughtful movies.

It doesn't have to be explicitly supernatural either: a character hunting for a miracle or phenomena and not finding it is also fine.

the abyss?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Flatliners might qualify. It’s sold as a horror movie but isn’t quite, or at least fails to be

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The Man from Earth (2007)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking for Tim Curry content, movies or TV. I've seen Clue, Rocky Horror, Muppet Treasure Island, The Shadow etc, and looking for more than a cameo. I've seen Legend and It, but I'm thinking more for his humor and charm, but either way works. As much Curry as possible, high quality, Curry scenery eating etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I think Phenomenon was about that.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Kvlt! posted:

Stalker and Solaris are both films by Tarkovsky that fit this description but I personally thought stalker was really hard to follow.

Interstellar?
The Abyss
The Fountain

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Midnight Special might fit the bill.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe the documentary Kumare (2011)?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
On the lighter end of that "genre": K-PAX?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want something dramatic, fun, or both in the sword-and-sandal genre, whether placed in a historical or mythological setting.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I'd second Solaris, pretty much nails what you've described - admittedly I've only seen the English remake but I liked it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Vertigo

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Heavy Metal posted:

Looking for Tim Curry content, movies or TV. I've seen Clue, Rocky Horror, Muppet Treasure Island, The Shadow etc, and looking for more than a cameo. I've seen Legend and It, but I'm thinking more for his humor and charm, but either way works. As much Curry as possible, high quality, Curry scenery eating etc.

Loaded Weapon 1 is a guilty pleasure of mine. He's not in it a ton but it's ridiculous.
He's amazing in the old IT tv show. It's kind of awful but he's fantastic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lesser known and/or obscure pro wrestling (not olympic/greco roman) docs? I've seen all the big ones and the official WWE ones.

Anything from WWE to tiny indie circuits, any country/culture, feel free to include lucha libre or hardcore/deathmatch or even dudes in their backyard if its an interesting doc

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Kvlt! posted:

Lesser known and/or obscure pro wrestling (not olympic/greco roman) docs? I've seen all the big ones and the official WWE ones.

Anything from WWE to tiny indie circuits, any country/culture, feel free to include lucha libre or hardcore/deathmatch or even dudes in their backyard if its an interesting doc

Have you seen the Louis Theroux Wild Weekends episode about wrestling?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Have you seen the Louis Theroux Wild Weekends episode about wrestling?

I have, but thats a great suggestion!

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've just got back from seeing Beast and while it had it's problems I'd like to see some more recent-ish films set in the bush/game reserves. They don't necessarily need to be survival movies like Beast.

Also with Halloween coming up, I know it's a taboo phrase but I'm looking for some good horror movies which aren't "elevated horror", so more focus on scares and atmosphere than subtext. I've probably seen most of the obvious English language ones, I enjoyed Hell House LLC, Grave Encounters, Session 9 and As Above So Below (I'm noticing now that these are all found footage, but they don't have to be)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

Also with Halloween coming up, I know it's a taboo phrase but I'm looking for some good horror movies which aren't "elevated horror", so more focus on scares and atmosphere than subtext. I've probably seen most of the obvious English language ones, I enjoyed Hell House LLC, Grave Encounters, Session 9 and As Above So Below (I'm noticing now that these are all found footage, but they don't have to be)

The Beyond (1981) comes to mind.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

more focus on scares and atmosphere

make sure you've seen
Suspiria (1977)
The Descent (2005)
Noroi (2005)
Baskin (2015)
Malignant (2021)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The Descent has amazing atmosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah but it's got quite intense jumpscares.