Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

My first one in the Mach was new sunglasses in the sunglass holder my old ones didn't rattle but the new ones did for some reason.

The only rattle I've ever heard in the Bolt turned out to be the license plate. I stuck some adhesive felt from IKEA on the back of it and now there are no more rattles.

Electric cars are real quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Polestar (and probably every EV) has a relay that you can hear clicking when you hit the accelerator and that’s kind of annoying imo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah we could have cold, uncaring cameras issuing tickets automatically for this, with all the money going to some victims fund or road repairs or something.
Ditto for speeding. Why do we have cops writing speeding tickets still? they have completely abdicated this duty in my area anyway, which is why the highways are mad max these days

Doing it via camera will be way less subjective in terms of enforcement. Double the fine with every infraction. You might say this ends up a tax on the poor, but they could just stop speeding or put their phones down. If it's universally enforced, everyone slows down, and there's no speed differential danger.

The red light running has gotten insane. Nearly every single light I'm sitting at I see someone run a red that's not even close like the cross traffic light is already green before they even enter the intersection.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah we could have cold, uncaring cameras issuing tickets automatically for this, with all the money going to some victims fund or road repairs or something.
Ditto for speeding. Why do we have cops writing speeding tickets still? they have completely abdicated this duty in my area anyway, which is why the highways are mad max these days

Doing it via camera will be way less subjective in terms of enforcement. Double the fine with every infraction. You might say this ends up a tax on the poor, but they could just stop speeding or put their phones down. If it's universally enforced, everyone slows down, and there's no speed differential danger.

There are times when I feel like I'm the last person on earth who tries to keep it within 5% of the speed limit. I grow so frustrated by other people on the road being in a constant death race I'm starting to think something like this would actually be nice, especially if it was extremely widespread, like you couldn't drive more than 10 miles anywhere without getting on a couple of them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Elviscat posted:

I have the right to refuse delivery, pretty sure I'm out my $500 if I do so. I'm sure the dealer would love this, since they take refused Machs and slap $10,000 on the hood.

It’s up to the dealer, but mine refunded the deposit when we cancelled our original order.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

There are times when I feel like I'm the last person on earth who tries to keep it within 5% of the speed limit. I grow so frustrated by other people on the road being in a constant death race I'm starting to think something like this would actually be nice, especially if it was extremely widespread, like you couldn't drive more than 10 miles anywhere without getting on a couple of them.

I used to worry about this. Then I realized that other people going at or about the speed limit will never pass me.

I stopped speeding *at all* after getting a ticket for going 58 in a 45 that had just been lowered the day before from 55. It was my second speeding ticket in a month, and I decided, gently caress it, people might get mad at me for going slower, but speeding is costing actual money. That was 30 years ago.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wayne Knight posted:

There’s a few studies out there that have found that red light cameras don’t decrease accidents, they just change the kind of accidents that occur from angle collisions to rear end collisions as people slam in their brakes instead of coasting through the light. In some cases the studies found a total increase in accidents.

So while automated enforcement isn’t necessarily counterproductive (speed cameras actually seem to work as intended) it is important to look at whether the way its structured is really just incentivizing drivers to trade one bad habit for another.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s a few studies out there that have found that red light cameras don’t decrease accidents, they just change the kind of accidents that occur from angle collisions to rear end collisions as people slam in their brakes instead of coasting through the light. In some cases the studies found a total increase in accidents.

So while automated enforcement isn’t necessarily counterproductive (speed cameras actually seem to work as intended) it is important to look at whether the way its structured is really just incentivizing drivers to trade one bad habit for another.

A while ago, we took away horses from carriages, and it saved a lot of lives. Turned out that horses are unpredictable dipshits.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I've heard the same on red light cameras, but the speed cameras I'm advocating for would have to be so frequent that you couldn't just learn where they are and modulate your speed around them.

I get that it's fun to go fast and you should be able to drive as fast as the road conditions allow, but we really have lost that privilege. We as a society have definitively proven that not enough of us can be trusted to make those decisions wisely. Also, at some point the road features must be developed with some speed in mind so they can know how long to make on/off ramps.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

cruft posted:

A while ago, we took away horses from carriages, and it saved a lot of lives. Turned out that horses are unpredictable dipshits.

People are also unpredictable dipshits which is why the safest thing is to get as many of them as possible off the roads and into alternate forms of transportation. Sadly….<gestures at America>

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The problem y’all are discussing mainly comes from a lack of policing and the solution of many cameras would just be a massive expensive gift to the same people that caused the problem in the first place.

Which they would just end up abusing for other poo poo

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I had family visiting from the east coast this past summer and they were blown away at seeing street racing in the middle of the day, in the heart of the city, on a busy freeway. It got to be old hat by the time they left it happened so often. People pull donuts EVERYWHERE including on my street where young kids play all the time. It's gone way beyond a few yahoos and is now something we live with daily and it loving sucks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe what we really need is more public transportation and safer bike paths and pedestrian paths

At the same time, lol some minimum level of enforcement is also necessary

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think it's reasonable to create a law where if I have dash camera footage of someone running a red light and nearly killing me I'm allowed to chase them down and give them a moderate beating.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The red light running has gotten insane. Nearly every single light I'm sitting at I see someone run a red that's not even close like the cross traffic light is already green before they even enter the intersection.

Americans barely understand what the lights mean.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The problem y’all are discussing mainly comes from a lack of policing and the solution of many cameras would just be a massive expensive gift to the same people that caused the problem in the first place.

Surely police can be trusted to use a massively expanded surveillance footprint in a fair and equitable manner.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Red light cameras are illegal in tx and people are extremely comfortable running reds for this reason, and probably because they were just stupid to begin with.

Also, many red light cams had cities playing games with the signals and shortening the yellows. If all yellows got extended to 6 sec or whatever they are supposed to be for high speed roads it would lower the amount of panic stops.

So I think they’re fine they just need to be implemented correctly.

gently caress The Police and all but people learning they can drive like assholes with zero accountability is also a thing

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 1, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wayne Knight posted:

I've heard the same on red light cameras, but the speed cameras I'm advocating for would have to be so frequent that you couldn't just learn where they are and modulate your speed around them.

I get that it's fun to go fast and you should be able to drive as fast as the road conditions allow, but we really have lost that privilege. We as a society have definitively proven that not enough of us can be trusted to make those decisions wisely. Also, at some point the road features must be developed with some speed in mind so they can know how long to make on/off ramps.

The most effective speed mitigation has always been a police car on the side of the road in an obvious position. Not trying to catch anyone, but just straight sitting there. *Visible* presence is a deterrant that works, unlike speed cameras

Speed cameras do not make roads safer. Visible police presence and driver training does.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This appears to be correct. If politicians were actually concerned about reducing traffic light accidents, extending the timing of the yellow / amber and the time between red / green light makes the biggest difference.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I really wish Nissan would bring their e-power stuff to the USA; while only a hybrid, they have very promising tech.

Also, the MG4 looks very promising, maybe if we don't get that some competition to it will come over.

e: Also heard about a Mazda MX-50 having some sort of minor collision requiring some part replacement that uh, they don't have parts for with such a limited run, so they totaled it... going to stick with avoid.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 1, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

WhiteHowler posted:

The articles fixate too much on the danger of increased acceleration, which I don't think is going to be a huge factor in most serious accidents. Fatalities are way up because everyone's always staring at their phones while driving increasingly larger Canyoneros. That's it. That's the driving factor.

I don't know how we tackle that problem in America, unfortunately. Most states have laws against distracted driving, but they're rarely enforced, and most people don't see it any differently from a speeding ticket (ie. "I'll try to do better at not getting caught").

the thing that is loving absolutely nuts to me is when I see people going by in a car that I KNOW has CarPlay and Android Auto with their phone up to their ear or lookin down at it. What the gently caress man.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Isn't the reason for the switch to SUVs and trucks in the US because they are taxed differently? Or were at any rate.

A driving culture where people routinely run red lights must absolutely suck. Not based on any evidence but ré: red light cameras I feel like getting rear ended must be less dangerous than getting t-boned, and maybe longer yellow phases on lights would mitigate that a bit. We have loads of red light cameras in the city. I guess people drive pretty sedately here, outside Valais country roads that is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The biggest reason is that they have lower CAFE mileage targets and CAFE is a clusterfuck.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

What kind of things have you had and were you able to fix them? I have a full set of trim tools and I figure I'm probably better off taking care of poo poo like this myself rather than trying to get Tesla to do it.

This one being a perfect example, took me about 3 minutes to diagnose and rectify.

Is Dynamat still a thing? I figured something like that might be involved at some point.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole: https://shop.newgatesimms.com/product/squeaks-and-rattles-kit/

I also have some various foam rubber and felt tape collected over the years, this is good for electrical wiring: https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-adhesive-wiring-original-ISOBAND/dp/B00XPDVER2

The two key items though, are a stethoscope and a patient driver that will recreate the noise while you try to find it with your stethoscope from a passenger seat. Finding the noise is 80% of the battle, then you just have to decide if you want to lube it so it doesn't make stick-slip squeaks and crackles, or tie it down or jam it so it can't move.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The most effective way to control speed hasn't been mentioned. It's effective road design. People will go as fast as they think they can on any given road. Roads need to be complete (meaning a protected bike lane and a separated sidewalk), lanes as narrow as possible and have road furniture, like bollards, raised crossings, basically everything to force cars to slow down least they gently caress up and run into a solid object. This is for non freeway/interstate roads obviously. Interstate/freeway speeding can probably be enforced by speed cameras.

Maybe geo restriction speed limits will become a thing once there are enough "connected" cars on the road? I'd give anything to make it impossible for cars to go over 10mph in a neighborhood.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the thing that is loving absolutely nuts to me is when I see people going by in a car that I KNOW has CarPlay and Android Auto with their phone up to their ear or lookin down at it. What the gently caress man.
I'd love to know metrics on how many people have Android Auto/CarPlay and never set it up.

Like, my boomer mom is pretty tech-savvy (she was an engineer for a NASA contractor) and has had an Android phone for years, but if she got a new car I'm 99% sure she wouldn't think to connect the two unless someone directly told her it was possible.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The most effective speed mitigation has always been a police car on the side of the road in an obvious position. Not trying to catch anyone, but just straight sitting there. *Visible* presence is a deterrant that works, unlike speed cameras

Speed cameras do not make roads safer. Visible police presence and driver training does.

IDK I'm pretty convinced that speed cameras every mile that auto-mail you a ticket for every one you pass over the speed limit would get people to stay under the limit. It would become very expensive to drive quickly.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My post specifically called out the police abdicating their duty and revenue collected from this not getting anywhere near the pigs.
The police gave up on keeping roads safe, the roads still need to be safe, gently caress the police, but still punish dangerous drivers.

I don't care if you disagree, it doesn't matter anyway because I'm not in any position of power and this will never happen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When I bought a new car the dealer had a person to show me how to do that poo poo. I didn't really need the help and they were glad of it but they were fully prepared to show me how to pair my phone via bluetooth and how to use CarPlay/Android Auto as well as show me some other random features that were hard to find or somewhat illogical (turn the power mirror selector down for defrost, etc).

I am probably just completely isolated from the normal car ownership experience for many reasons but particularly because I spend a lot of time in rental cars in places where I don't know where I'm going, so setting up CarPlay is very important to me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When I bought a new car the dealer had a person to show me how to do that poo poo. I didn't really need the help and they were glad of it but they were fully prepared to show me how to pair my phone via bluetooth and how to use CarPlay/Android Auto as well as show me some other random features that were hard to find or somewhat illogical (turn the power mirror selector down for defrost, etc).

I am probably just completely isolated from the normal car ownership experience for many reasons but particularly because I spend a lot of time in rental cars in places where I don't know where I'm going, so setting up CarPlay is very important to me.

The “show you how to connect your phone” thing has happened for the past four or five new cars we’ve bought.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

cruft posted:

The only rattle I've ever heard in the Bolt turned out to be the license plate. I stuck some adhesive felt from IKEA on the back of it and now there are no more rattles.

Electric cars are real quiet.

This is good to hear! I’ve got a bolt euv on order and I am really excited about it. How’s build quality felt to you overall?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bringing down speeds seems achievable, but I still don’t know what you do for distracted driving. A camera can’t easily detect that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The interior camera in the Mach e is pretty goddamn good at it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Evil_Greven posted:

I really wish Nissan would bring their e-power stuff to the USA; while only a hybrid, they have very promising tech.

E-power is only really suitable for low speed stop start traffic. The new Honda system is smarter as it allows the petrol engine to directly power the wheels where that make sense.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The interior camera in the Mach e is pretty goddamn good at it.

I mean exterior cameras, even if they mandated those cameras in cars tomorrow it take 20 years for them to be in every car on the road.

I definitely don’t tust cops to do the enforcement, they would just be biased in who they chose to punish.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
On rattle chat, the only rattle I get from my EV6 is the back seatbelt. Probably need to attach felt somewhere for it. It goes away if we tuck the seatbelt buckle between the seat and the side of the car. The car is so quiet otherwise I usually have to stop and tuck it in there so it doesn't annoy me.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

raggedphoto posted:

I had family visiting from the east coast this past summer and they were blown away at seeing street racing in the middle of the day, in the heart of the city, on a busy freeway. It got to be old hat by the time they left it happened so often. People pull donuts EVERYWHERE including on my street where young kids play all the time. It's gone way beyond a few yahoos and is now something we live with daily and it loving sucks.

Take video of license plate.
Submit said video to cops.
Cops go and seize car.
Cops put car in crusher. (If you auction it it will just end up doing doughnuts again.)
Problem solved.

Or something like that. Lots of places in Europe solved street racing pretty well by feeding the cars to the crusher on the 1st or 2nd violation. This could be solved the same way. Never going to happen here though. The cops just don't care.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 1, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

marshmonkey posted:

I mean exterior cameras, even if they mandated those cameras in cars tomorrow it take 20 years for them to be in every car on the road.

I definitely don’t tust cops to do the enforcement, they would just be biased in who they chose to punish.

Dark Brandon’s version of cash for clunkers is going to be to just give everyone in the US a Mach-e

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I went on vacation with my family recently. My parents have a F-150 with the big Sync 4 screen and my brother has an Explorer with the big vertical Sync 4A screen. None of them used Android Auto or CarPlay once when we were driving around during the week. They all used the Ford OEM nav, uninterested in plugging in their phones even while complaining about the nav system. My dad asked me what Waze was when we were in my Fiesta and I told him he could have it in his truck just by plugging in a cord to his phone, but it didn't seem to stick.

I don't get it, but I also went out of my way to retrofit Sync 3 parts from a newer car specifically to get Android Auto in mine so I'm not normal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The biggest reason is that they have lower CAFE mileage targets and CAFE is a clusterfuck.

Also gas guzzler tax doesn't apply to trucks. Passenger cars that get worse than 22.5 MPG have a one-time tax somewhere between $1000 and $7700 on purchase depending on how bad they are. A Charger Hellcat or Mustang GT500 buyer pays a few grand in penalties on purchase, where the same person buying a Ram TRX or Raptor R that uses more or less the same motor even less efficiently doesn't.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Brandon’s version of cash for clunkers is going to be to just give everyone in the US a Mach-e

They'd have to call that clunkers for clunkers

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
And because the CAFE formulas are extra dumb it's part of what pushes manufacturers to make trucks wider/longer wheelbase because that eases the fuel efficiency requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
OK, ya got me :rolleyes: Meet my Corsa

https://imgur.com/a/7pXE3i6

Sorry, image won't embed.